Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:30   #21
Cwlongshot

I have been loading Blie Dot and to a lesser extent 800X. Reciently I began shooting Longshot. The max powder charge from my gun is no issue.

From my 6" barrel I wanna see 1300+ from a 200g.

CW
Old 06-29-2012, 12:19   #22
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
OK gentelman,

So any one put 9.4/9.5grs of LS under the 180gr XTP in a stock barrel G20/G29 and if you did what did you get ????

I am trying to pick some brains here as time is something I ain't got "right now," and save myself some bench time..

Mucho thanks !
CM
Hello Canyon Man, I have loaded 9.4 grains under the Hornady 200 XTP's of LongShot using CCI300 in various brass to test the 1240 fps loadings of SwampFox ammo. if you look for the tribute I did to Mike Willard after he died I obtained some of his ammo and pulled it down to verify this load that we actually discussed right hee on GT.

The results were as follows...

Did a little test today (1/25/12) using the SwamFox 9.4 grain ofLongShot with 200 grain Hornady XTP's loading...

1) S&W 1006 22lbs RSA velocity 1260 - 1280 fps, itexpanded to 0.4295".

2) Glock-29 factory bbl 21lb Wolff RSA @ 1177 fps "used" Hornady casing expanded to 0.430".

I also tested the 9.4 grains of IMR800X with very simular results maybe even slightly better with the shorter bbl G29
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 13:19   #23
GotFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
I have been loading Blie Dot and to a lesser extent 800X. Reciently I began shooting Longshot. The max powder charge from my gun is no issue.

From my 6" barrel I wanna see 1300+ from a 200g.

CW
I was able to get 1320 out of my 6" KKM using 9.3 grns of 800X over a 200grn XTP before I had the barrel Mag-Na-Ported.......1290 after. This load didn't produce any adverse pressure signs in my G-20. Lots of folks don't like the way 800X meters but if you throw individual loads like I do its no big deal. ......proceed with caution

Last edited by GotFour; 06-29-2012 at 13:20..
GotFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 14:28   #24
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Shadow View Post
Hello Canyon Man, I have loaded 9.4 grains under the Hornady 200 XTP's of LongShot using CCI300 in various brass to test the 1240 fps loadings of SwampFox ammo. if you look for the tribute I did to Mike Willard after he died I obtained some of his ammo and pulled it down to verify this load that we actually discussed right hee on GT.

The results were as follows...

Did a little test today (1/25/12) using the SwamFox 9.4 grain ofLongShot with 200 grain Hornady XTP's loading...

1) S&W 1006 22lbs RSA velocity 1260 - 1280 fps, itexpanded to 0.4295".

2) Glock-29 factory bbl 21lb Wolff RSA @ 1177 fps "used" Hornady casing expanded to 0.430".

I also tested the 9.4 grains of IMR800X with very simular results maybe even slightly better with the shorter bbl G29

Hey Shadow, I was begining to get lonely over here ! haha.

Hope all is well with you amigo !

Thanks for the information man. It looks like the 9.4/9.5gr LS is about the most popular loading with both 180gr and 200gr XTP's so far.

I guess I will go ahead then with the 9.4/9.5grs in the G20 with 180gr XTP. I have a Steel rod and a ISMI 22# spring in there and stock spring in the G29.

I have been running 11.0grs BD in the G29 stock barrel/spring, with 180gr XTP with NO issues of any kind at all. I just thought i'd try the LS and see if It changed anything here, and would meet my needs better than the BD I like so much.

I appreciate it my friend, and I'll start there since it seems so many others are having nothing but good results.

I just didn't know if these 'good results" were out of stock or AM barrels..

Not being lazy, but just have NOT EVEN had time to look up old threads or research much. Wanted a quick jump start here on the LS from guys I trust, and whip out a few and have a looksee. I figured these loads with the LS even over the max book allowed loads would still be fine, just wanted to make sure in my "hurry hurry life" at "present" that I was reading all this correctly.

Again, I appreciate it Shadow, and anything else you ole boys want to toss in... I am all ears.

Stay safe !

Thanks again....!

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 19:54   #25
DarkShooter

I like where this thread is going. Lots of great info from experienced 10mm/G20 shooters. What ive learned so far-

Im thinkin Longshot is the way to go, everyone seems to agree its a great powder for these velocities, and it was used to load Swampfox ammo. Sounds like a winner.

800X also does great, but each charge has to be weighed due to it being a poor shape for runnin thru a powder measure.

Blue Dot is the old standby, and Accurate #9 has some fans too.

Wow I got a lot of loads to work up!
DarkShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 21:51   #26
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShooter View Post
I like where this thread is going. Lots of great info from experienced 10mm/G20 shooters. What ive learned so far-

Im thinkin Longshot is the way to go, everyone seems to agree its a great powder for these velocities, and it was used to load Swampfox ammo. Sounds like a winner.

800X also does great, but each charge has to be weighed due to it being a poor shape for runnin thru a powder measure.

Blue Dot is the old standby, and Accurate #9 has some fans too.

Wow I got a lot of loads to work up!
Have fun, most of us have for years, since early 1990 for me with 10mm! Still learning too! I started with Blue Dot before published loads were out for this cartridge and there was as much internet back then!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 22:44   #27
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanyonMan View Post
OK gentelman,

So any one put 9.4/9.5grs of LS under the 180gr XTP in a stock barrel G20/G29 and if you did what did you get ????

I am trying to pick some brains here as time is something I ain't got "right now," and save myself some bench time..

Mucho thanks !

CM
Hi CM,

Good to see you back roaming around GT again.

I have loaded up to 9.5 grains of Longshot under a 180 XTP. It only yields about 1190 fps from my G20. CCI 300 for that one. Hope that helps.

EDIT:

So far, I have not found any advantage with Longshot over Blue Dot with book data and XTPs - at leas in my setup. Sticking with Hornady load data for BD and 180 XTPs, they are running about 1215 fps at a couple tenths less than max. Nice clean burn and great groups too.

Last edited by Taterhead; 06-29-2012 at 22:49..
Taterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 08:44   #28
CanyonMan
In The Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Hi CM,

Good to see you back roaming around GT again.

I have loaded up to 9.5 grains of Longshot under a 180 XTP. It only yields about 1190 fps from my G20. CCI 300 for that one. Hope that helps.

EDIT:

So far, I have not found any advantage with Longshot over Blue Dot with book data and XTPs - at leas in my setup. Sticking with Hornady load data for BD and 180 XTPs, they are running about 1215 fps at a couple tenths less than max. Nice clean burn and great groups too.

Hey amigo, just now having a tad of room to breathe, we had a ruff afternoon/evening/night around here yesterday.

Well I have had some good advice on LS from you guys, and Shadow was helpful as well with some load data.

Reading your post here, and "now" this morning having the time to "hit the books" and my load data notes, and all, I think I will stick with my beloved BD on these 180/200gr bullets and especially cast where I am getting 1300fps, old faithful saddle bag stand by... I may pop a few LS's and see, but I believe your right from what I am seeing (on paper at least) this morning about the BD.

I use 11.0grs BD with the 180gr, and 10.5 grs with the 200gr (BD) A tad over Hornady Max, but have had VERY good results with these for a long time out of stock and AM barrels. Getting plenty good enough vels with a XTP, (which is just a "in town" bullet, and really sweet with HC bullet which are my "main staple out here" any way..

Yep, you helped a great deal, and my thanks amigo and to Shadow and others as well....

Good to have friends !

THANKS ALL !

Y'all stay safe.
Gotta run again!

CM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Jesus said: You who are without sin cast the first stone.. John 8: 7

Last edited by CanyonMan; 06-30-2012 at 08:46..
CanyonMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 17:19   #29
DarkShooter

No time to handload this weekend, due to bein called out to my second job. But, a few boxes of Underwood 200gr XTP ammo came in, and I was able to spend a short time at a nearby range.

Wow this stuff is impressive! I really don't think I need to explain it to you veterans! Very accurate too. I policed the brass, and took some measurements after I got home.

First of all, the OAL of loaded cartridges is very consistent.
There was only .002 difference in an entire box of 50.
All measured between 1.256 - 1.258

The web on the unfired cartridges (Starline brass) measured between .4213 - .4215.
Hornady 4th Edition manual lists .423 as nominal diameter.

The web on the fired cartridges measured between .4325 -.4330. No visible bulging or smiles.

Two rounds did smile, and they measured .4349 and .4350.

30 rounds were fired total.

Just to be safe, I am gonna get an aftermarket barrel, probally KKM because im happy with the quality of my .40 barrel from them. I already got a Wolf 22lb spring/guide rod on the way. Im very impressed by this cartridge, and the quality of Underwood ammo. I will be getting more. I know all this is a lil off topic, but wanted to share what I found out.
Old 09-20-2012, 18:16   #30
Cwlongshot

So far I have shot 9.0 of Longshot and a 200XTP at max OAL with zero pressure signs... Loaded 9.2 and 9.5 tonight to try next...

Also loaded 10.5 and 10.7 behind a 175g Silver tip again at max OAL.

6" KKM G20.

CW
Old 09-21-2012, 11:51   #31
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yondering View Post

Personally I'd skip 800X and get a powder that's easier to work with.
Knowing what alternatives exist, I would do the same thing. Longshot, Blue Dot and AA9 are FAR better choices for heavy loads if you ask me.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52   #32
nickE10mm
F.S.F.O.S.

Send a message via AIM to nickE10mm Send a message via MSN to nickE10mm Send a message via Yahoo to nickE10mm
Quote:
So far I have shot 9.0 of Longshot and a 200XTP at max OAL with zero pressure signs... Loaded 9.2 and 9.5 tonight to try next...

6" KKM G20.

CW
CW, just so you know ... I get 1325fps AVERAGE from a 6" KKM or 6" Fusion .... CCI300, 200gr XTP, new starline, 1.26" using 9.4gr Longshot. Be careful with this workup, as you know.

For readers who don't realize this, this load is more than 2 grains OVER Hornady max.... Its on YOU if something happens

I settled on 9.0gr LS as a safer alternative to wanting more power from a 200gr XTP.
10 Ring #1033 - Longslide #1045 - 10mm Loader #1066

Why do I carry a 10mm?
“Because a 9mm only kills your body… the 10mm kills your soul.”

Last edited by nickE10mm; 09-21-2012 at 11:55..
nickE10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 18:45   #33
Cwlongshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickE10mm View Post
CW, just so you know ... I get 1325fps AVERAGE from a 6" KKM or 6" Fusion .... CCI300, 200gr XTP, new starline, 1.26" using 9.4gr Longshot. Be careful with this workup, as you know.

For readers who don't realize this, this load is more than 2 grains OVER Hornady max.... Its on YOU if something happens

I settled on 9.0gr LS as a safer alternative to wanting more power from a 200gr XTP.

ABSOLUTELY!! Its uncharted territory!

SO far ZERO pressure signs at 9.0g... BUT I am yet to chronograph these higher loadings. I was 1250 or so at 8.5 IIRC.
My "target" is 1300fps with good accuracy. For me that will be 2" at 50 yards. All loads so far are at least that good accuracy wise.

I also have a 5.5" ported LWD barrel. I'll back it down a grain or so and work back up in that one later if I dont get what I want here.

I also have #9, and 800X to try if needed. I'm hoping LongShot does what I expect it to...

Thanks for the tip!

CW
Old 09-21-2012, 23:26   #34
TDC20

Quote:

6" KKM G20.

CW
CW, what is your velocity goal for the 175gr Silvertips? 10.5 and 10.7gr of Longshot is very very potent. I use 9.7 gr. of Longshot with CCI#300 at 1.255" to get a 180XTP to 1400fps from my 6" LWD barrel and 1300fps from the stock G20 barrel. Measuring case head expansion from this load indicates that this is a safe but full power loading in my gun. That means I retire the brass to light-moderate range loadings after 2 loads at this level.

Based on my results with Longshot, I would advise you to seriously consider loading a few lighter rounds, starting no higher than 9.5 - 9.8 gr. range and work up from there if you need to. I wouldn't expect to get much more than 1400fps safely from a 5.5" barrel with the 175gr Silvertips. For the sake of safety, it's wise to begin with a reasonable velocity goal and work up to that in 0.2gr increments.

Good luck and be safe!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:36   #35
Cwlongshot

I did not set a goal on the Silvertips, it was kinda a afterthought. But I know 1400 is pretty easy to attain with the longer barrel.

The chrono numbers I have gotten so far have been slow, but as I said, accuracy is there power is "enough".

CW
Old 09-23-2012, 16:07   #36
DarkShooter

This thread is full of great info for someone just starting out, like me.

Mods, maybe sticky material since so many noob questions have been answered with sound advice?

Ive been busy with work all summer, but finally found time to work up & test a couple loads.

Ive settled on 200gr XTP, Winchester brass and WLP with 9.0gr Blue Dot and 12.6gr AA#9. OAL 1.260. Both these loads are from the Hornady 8th edition.

Im getting an honest 1100 fps average with the stock rsa/barrel, and a bit higher with 22lb spring/kkm barrel. I know these are not remarkable loads, but they are accurate and 100% reliable, and more powerful than the FBI loads im used to.

I plan on working up to book max (9.4gr BD/13.2 AA#9) when I get more time, but I am pretty happy with what I got now.
Old 11-15-2012, 15:20   #37
arthury

The Glockmeister captive 22lb spring kit was mentioned on page 1 of this thread ...

Question:
Since there's a screw that is used in the assembly of the rod and the spring, did you guys have an encounters where the screw gets loosened after a certain number of discharges?
arthury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 23:17   #38
dm1906
Retired SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthury View Post
The Glockmeister captive 22lb spring kit was mentioned on page 1 of this thread ...

Question:
Since there's a screw that is used in the assembly of the rod and the spring, did you guys have an encounters where the screw gets loosened after a certain number of discharges?
Blue Loc-Tite. 10K rounds, not loose.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:59   #39
ds7br

I've run 9.7 of Longshot with the 180XTP and Nosler HP 180 and 9.3 of Longshot with the 200 XTP.
Starline brass
CCI 300 primer
STORM LAKE barrel with tight chamber
Wolf rod and 22# spring.
These loads were worked up to SLOWLY and cases measured at the pressure ring for expansion. I wouldnt run them in my factory barrel just to be on the safe side.
The 10mm seems to be a very adaptable to load for as long as you use some restraint and dont go stupid.
Dennis
ds7br is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:13   #40
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

When I loaded for the 10mm I would often use 9.5gr Longshot w/180gr bullets. I tried some at 9.7gr and it actually reduced velocity instead of increasing it. However, that could just be my batch of powder. I would get about 1260-1270 fps from the stock G20sf with the 9.5gr load using jacketed 180gr bullets.

As for the guy loading 10.5-10.7gr Longshot with the 175gr Silvertip....be very careful with that. The KKM barrel will give you the extra support you need, but in my option, the 175gr is essentially 180gr so if you increase powder, do so very slightly. 10.0gr sounds a little more safe, and that's still probably a little high pressure wise. Just exercise caution and work up starting at maybe 9.7gr. I've ran 9.7gr Longshot w/175gr Silvertip and I think it got me close to, if not over 1300 fps from the stock G20sf.