GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2012, 21:40   #1
Happy Hunting

If the Commerce Clause sinks, what would you like to see go first?

I'm getting excited for a potential decision on Obamacare tomorrow. I will not, however, book a honeymoon before she says yes.

Even more exciting than that is the that Scalia is now hot under the collar about the 1942 precedent for the Interstate Commerce Clause. If anybody follows decisions and majority opinions you will know that this seemingly insignificant case about consuming wheat on your own farm has been the source of the overbearing government we have today.

The Wikipedia of the case

If anybody wants some biased information on it (I won't pretend something with Mark Levin speaking is objective) here's some more stuff. The Levin video on this page lets you learn with your ears and look at new Trijicon optics with your eyes.
http://www.thefilburnfoundation.com/references.html

In the hypothetical world where this decision is overturned, what else would you like to see get tossed out?

I think I would like about 60% of government agencies to hit the bricks but I wanted to poll some people and see what they think is the most egregious law that is only legitimate based on this 70 year old precedent.

FYI: This is the article that got me started on all this tonight.
http://hotair.com/archives/2012/06/1...nd-all-reason/
Happy Hunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 21:42   #2
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

I'd like to see NFA tossed.
Fed Five Oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 21:53   #3
Happy Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed Five Oh View Post
It would be nice to be done with all the preban, postban sample hooplah wouldn't it? I know my bank account would be licking its chops for a select fire 11.5'' M6A3 with a can.

I wonder how much the price would go down for suppressors if there wasn't as much red tape for them as there is for pre-'86 autos and SBR's?
Old 06-20-2012, 21:58   #4
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

Well, we know suppressors & SBR's would initially go down by $200.00.

MG prices would plummet. There would be a whole lot of current fully transferable MG owners wailing.
Old 06-20-2012, 22:10   #5
Happy Hunting

I think suppressors would go down by a lot more than the $200 stamp when people realize they don't have to forfeit a great deal of their rights and time in order to get them. The market would explode and I think prices would fall 50% or so over a couple of years.

I mean with the 1000 bucks for an M4-2000 + 200 stamp + 50 transfer(and he's cheap) I could have gotten a NICE shooter. I know the manufacturer has no control over the stamp and the transfer, but that 1 pound piece of metal is only priced that high because not that many people are buying them.

This is just my opinion and I do not make suppressors, but I think the cost making a Colt 6920 or Commander is going to be far higher than making any can.
Old 06-20-2012, 22:24   #6
G29Reload
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hunting View Post
If anybody wants some biased information on it (I won't pretend something with Mark Levin speaking is objective) here's some more stuff. The Levin video on this page lets you learn with your ears and look at new Trijicon optics with your eyes.
http://www.thefilburnfoundation.com/references.html
The only thing biased here is you.

Levin is one of the most learned Constitutional scholars I've ever heard. He has reasoned dissertations on the COTUS and related decisions that are grounded in the document itself along with his extensive experience both as an attorney and chief of staff in the Reagan Justice department. He knows what he's talking about and doesn't just rant mindlessly…he has supporting facts, precedent and logic for everything he discusses. It's not like he's some idiot MSNBC anchor, he knows his stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
G29Reload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 22:53   #7
cowboy1964

I thought the decision was most likely coming on Monday?
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:05   #8
Fed Five Oh
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hunting View Post
I think suppressors would go down by a lot more than the $200 stamp when people realize they don't have to forfeit a great deal of their rights and time in order to get them. The market would explode and I think prices would fall 50% or so over a couple of years.
Well, I was thinking about the whole supply demand thing as well.

More people wanting silencers equals greater demand, equals higher prices.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:14   #9
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
The NFA was not passed under the commerce clause jurisdiction; it was under the taxing power, so this would not affect the NFA. That's why you can pay a tax to own a machinegun.

At the time, they didn't think commerce gave the feds the authroity to regulate things inside states, just things crossing borders. Now they think it gives them authority to do anything they want.

The GCA of 1968 was commerce clause. It would ne nice if you could mail order a gun, just like a knife or a book, again, like you could when I was born.

Last edited by Bren; 06-21-2012 at 05:16..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:27   #10
certifiedfunds
Tewwowist

Federal Drug Laws
EPA
Low flow shower heads and toilets

just off the top of my head

Rush Limbaugh
certifiedfunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:36   #11
Guss

Speculating on this is like speculating on how things would be different if the South had won the war. It's all over boys.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40   #12
HexHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guss View Post
Speculating on this is like speculating on how things would be different if the South had won the war. It's all over boys.
It ain't over. It's only been on hiatus.
HexHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59   #13
RHVEtte

Quote:
Well, I was thinking about the whole supply demand thing as well.

More people wanting silencers equals greater demand, equals higher prices.
But the artificially imposed delay of unspecified time throws a giant wrench into supply and demand curves. With no way to know how long the NFA stamp may take, manufacturers have no way of knowing how many suppressors they may sell in a year, so they have to make as much margin as possible on the ones they do sell. If NFA was thrown out, they would be able to better estimate how many they'd sell a year and would be able to cut back on margin, especially given the increased demand once people can get them easily.
Liberty is a candle in a tempest. It is a rare and beautiful thing that must be jealously guarded, lest it be snuffed out. And like the candle, Liberty under tyranny is difficult to reignite. -- undoubtedly said by someone smarter than I.
RHVEtte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:20   #14
VinnieD

Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms would henceforth only be used to refer to a fun weekend.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filburn, obamacare, scalia, wickard