Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2012, 15:52   #1
MIAMIbaseballer

180 vs 200 bullets

I'm gonna start reloading next month and was curious if I should reload 180gr or 200gr fmj or if it doesn't really matter.... These will only be for target loads but I want to load them to 10mm velocities not 40cal.....
Old 05-26-2012, 16:08   #2
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Welcome to the forum MIAMIbaseballer. You will enjoy loading for this fine caliber.

For range ammo, I like 180s. I really like Power Bond copper bonded bullets for a relatively inexpensive option. In fact, this is what I ran an the IDPA match this morning. I load these to about 1175 fps with Accurate #9 powder (13.5 grains). CCI 300 primer. 1.25" COL. Starline brass. I use a stock barrel in my Gen 3 G20.

1175 fps is not super hot, but it is about 200 fps faster than the "FBI Load", or .40 S&W specs. In my view, this is a great round to get some high volume shooting done. Not too stressful on brass, and there is a bit of margin for error with pressures.

This load give me excellent groups. I have loaded a few thousand plated-style bullets, and the Power Bond bullets are far and away the best quality that I've worked with. At last check the prices include shipping.

http://www.powerbondbullets.com/mm5/...tegory_Code=40

Here is a review I did earlier this year for the Power Bond bullet:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1404110

I have heard good things about Montana Gold and Precision Delta bullets too. I believe that 2K is the minimum order for PD.

Last edited by Taterhead; 05-26-2012 at 16:09..
Taterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 16:33   #3
countrygun

For target, whichever is the cheapest.

i have a different opinion for field or service/defense though
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 16:59   #4
gofastman

If I were to order another bunch of bullets, I would go with powerbond 180gr flat points, but I plan on casting my own.

Reloading is a gateway hobby
Old 05-27-2012, 06:39   #5
Jitterbug

Tater thanks for the report and link on the Powerbond bullet.
Jitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:42   #6
Cwlongshot

Because your talking targets and FMJ bullets.. I agree it dosen't matter, I would buy a box of each and load various loadings of each and see what your gun likes. Then buy those.

Good luck,
CW
Old 05-28-2012, 20:42   #7
MIAMIbaseballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
Welcome to the forum MIAMIbaseballer. You will enjoy loading for this fine caliber.

For range ammo, I like 180s. I really like Power Bond copper bonded bullets for a relatively inexpensive option. In fact, this is what I ran an the IDPA match this morning. I load these to about 1175 fps with Accurate #9 powder (13.5 grains). CCI 300 primer. 1.25" COL. Starline brass. I use a stock barrel in my Gen 3 G20.

1175 fps is not super hot, but it is about 200 fps faster than the "FBI Load", or .40 S&W specs. In my view, this is a great round to get some high volume shooting done. Not too stressful on brass, and there is a bit of margin for error with pressures.

This load give me excellent groups. I have loaded a few thousand plated-style bullets, and the Power Bond bullets are far and away the best quality that I've worked with. At last check the prices include shipping.

[URL]http://www.powerbondbullets.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=PBOS&Product_Code=40FP180&Category_Code=40[/URL]

[URL]http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404110[/URL]

I have heard good things about Montana Gold and Precision Delta bullets too. I believe that 2K is the minimum order for PD.
Thanks for all the info.... I just read your review thread on them. They seem like a great choice. My question for you is.... Since they are basically the same price.... whats the advantage to getting these over PD jackets bullets? and I'd also like to be in the 1200's. PD has buying options per 20 or per 1000 (they charge $5 if you do not order in multiples of 2000)...

Last edited by MIAMIbaseballer; 05-28-2012 at 20:46..
MIAMIbaseballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 23:09   #8
Taterhead
Counting Beans

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIAMIbaseballer View Post
Thanks for all the info.... I just read your review thread on them. They seem like a great choice. My question for you is.... Since they are basically the same price.... whats the advantage to getting these over PD jackets bullets? and I'd also like to be in the 1200's. PD has buying options per 20 or per 1000 (they charge $5 if you do not order in multiples of 2000)...
Probably no advantage other than some ranges have a requirement for no exposed lead. The PD bullets are exposed lead bases.

If one or the other is backordered, it is nice to have another option in the quiver. If you are a member of a shooting club and can get a group of guys together locally for a group buy, you might ask for a discount. I just picked up a supply of 180 gr flat points for $100 per 1000 from a group buy at my club. You can mix and match calibers in a group buy. Ask for Matt at Power Bond.
Taterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 23:13   #9
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

Best advice I can give you is load 9.2gr Longshot behind anything 180gr and you've got a winner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 14:44   #10
B.Reid

I am only loading 200 grain bullets in mine, but I use mine for hunting and woods defense. Here in Montana we have large predators. I have .40 cal guns for the lighter bullets.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 19:32   #11
MIAMIbaseballer

Quote:
Probably no advantage other than some ranges have a requirement for no exposed lead. The PD bullets are exposed lead bases.

If one or the other is backordered, it is nice to have another option in the quiver. If you are a member of a shooting club and can get a group of guys together locally for a group buy, you might ask for a discount. I just picked up a supply of 180 gr flat points for $100 per 1000 from a group buy at my club. You can mix and match calibers in a group buy. Ask for Matt at Power Bond.
Very true.... thanks for the new source and info. Will definitely try these at some point
Old 05-30-2012, 20:00   #12
_The_Shadow
Ret. Fireman

Welcome to the world of 10mm handloading. There's been so good advice given.

Good luck and be safe!
_The_Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 17:49   #13
frankt

I had better luck finding 180 grain bullets when I first got my G29SF so that is all I ever load now.

I don't think any deer or human will be able to tell the difference

Semper Fi
frankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 13:35   #14
Fire_Medic
CLM Number 261
Polymer Butcher

Quote:

http://www.powerbondbullets.com/mm5/...tegory_Code=40

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1404110

Tater how do the PowerBond bullets handle speed? I have had experiences in the past with Berry's bullets not holding up well when pushed fast, and it has drastically affected accuracy.....
Florida Glockers Club #2250, BHP Club #2250, Niners Club #2250, G1 Niners Club #2250, Black Rifle Club #2250, S&W Club #2250, 40SW Club #2250

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE

RIP GioaJack!
Fire_Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58   #15
ALBin517

I just ordered my batch of 10mm bullets and went with 180 because I intend to use the same bullets in my G23.

200-grain seems to be pushing the high end for 40s.
Old 07-13-2012, 14:46   #16
agtman
10mm Spartiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBin517 View Post
I just ordered my batch of 10mm bullets and went with 180 because I intend to use the same bullets in my G23.

200-grain seems to be pushing the high end for 40s.
It is.

That's why there were no .40 S&W factory loads offered using 200gn JHPs until DT's .40-line came along, loading Hornady's 200gn XTP to 1050fps - same velocity as Hornady's own 10mm load with the same XTP.

For the O.P. ...

Quote:
For target, whichever is the cheapest. i have a different opinion for field or service/defense though
CountryGun is right, and 180gn 10mm/.40cal slugs are ubiquitous.

But I like the 200gn Horn FMJ-FPs myself. A while back I stocked up on 2000+ of them.

I've been with this cartridge for a long time and have always liked it at or near it's original "combat" loading, i.e., 200gn @ 1200fps, give or take depending on usage ...

For practice, range plinking, or training w/ modest recoil, you can keep it to 1150fps-1180fps.

Or, by loading up, you can easily get into DT/UW velocities for carry in the backwoods and boonie areas for defense against bear/cougar/biker/anal-probing by Klingons, etc.

agtman is offline   Reply With Quote