GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2012, 13:14   #51
samuse
Senior Member
 
samuse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: South TX
Posts: 5,162
Blog Entries: 2
I've had my belts made by saddle makers ever since I can remember.

Always two layers of good leather, 1 3/4", double stiched.

I wouldn't wear a store bought belt if someone gave it to me. Just like I won't drink gas station beer, eat hot dogs or smoke machine rolled cigars.

When I carry a handgun I use a Wilderness 1 3/4" CSM.


Some people just don't recognize or appreciate higher quality and functionality, and that's fine. That's why Wal-Mart exists.
__________________
"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin', if you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick." -Clint Smith


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
You suck at...well, everything so far.

Last edited by samuse; 10-12-2012 at 13:16..
samuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 20:25   #52
NEOH212
Diesel Girl
 
NEOH212's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: North East Ohio
Posts: 8,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post
I am wondering what the differences are of an actual Gun Belt vs. a Dickies belt off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Are they thicker? made of a different material internally? Any note worthy differences in width? What makes it so much better to have a gun belt for IWB or OWB carry?
What's the difference?

Night and day.

As different as a pillow and cement.

Get yourself a good one and you won't ever want anything else. Furthermore, you won't be able to understand how you carried a gun without a good belt.

Yes, there is that much of a difference. Especially if you carry a heavy gun.
__________________
When we do hit it we hit it out of the park and send it over to China as quickly as possible to cheapen it and sell it.

Last edited by NEOH212; 10-13-2012 at 20:25..
NEOH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:48   #53
BigAlE
Senior Member
 
BigAlE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western NY
Posts: 166
I will be buying a gun belt soon not only for holster reasons, but because I've heard they will last a long time. I've had enough dress belts that were costly but fell apart after a year of use.
BigAlE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 09:11   #54
4Rules
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by samuse View Post
I've had my belts made by saddle makers ever since I can remember.

Always two layers of good leather, 1 3/4", double stiched.

I wouldn't wear a store bought belt if someone gave it to me. Just like I won't drink gas station beer, eat hot dogs or smoke machine rolled cigars.

When I carry a handgun I use a Wilderness 1 3/4" CSM.


Some people just don't recognize or appreciate higher quality and functionality, and that's fine. That's why Wal-Mart exists.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 16:37   #55
Bill Lumberg
BTF Inventor
 
Bill Lumberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 6,854
The difference is night and day. Proper gunbelts support localized weight and torsion far better. This results in a lot more comfort and stability. No comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler_dave9 View Post
I am wondering what the differences are of an actual Gun Belt vs. a Dickies belt off the shelf at Wal-Mart. Are they thicker? made of a different material internally? Any note worthy differences in width? What makes it so much better to have a gun belt for IWB or OWB carry?
__________________
Did someone talk to you about your TPS reports?
Bill Lumberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 18:26   #56
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,432
I picked up a leather double hole belt at Wal-Mart for $10 about five years ago and it secures my sub-compact pistol very well. No complaints.

But for my heavier, higher quality pistols I was fortunate to discover that there's a store in the state capitol where prisoner-made products are for sale to the public. Some of these products are made for LEO and I was able to pick up a stiff nylon duty belt for $11 that I use for CCW. Sure beats the hell out of paying the big bucks for a duty belt and maybe your state also has these products available, eh?
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:50   #57
SCmasterblaster
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Hartford, Vermont
Posts: 15,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I picked up a leather double hole belt at Wal-Mart for $10 about five years ago and it secures my sub-compact pistol very well. No complaints.

But for my heavier, higher quality pistols I was fortunate to discover that there's a store in the state capitol where prisoner-made products are for sale to the public. Some of these products are made for LEO and I was able to pick up a stiff nylon duty belt for $11 that I use for CCW. Sure beats the hell out of paying the big bucks for a duty belt and maybe your state also has these products available, eh?
What an odd coincidence, prisoner-made belts for your holster!
__________________
Gun Ownership Offers Freedom in Many Dimensions
SCmasterblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 15:57   #58
Deye76
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 441
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveksux View Post
Guess which one is wearing a gun belt...

Carry Issues

Randy
What happened to their hats........turned sideways.

Last edited by Deye76; 11-19-2012 at 15:57..
Deye76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:03   #59
Louisville Glocker
Urban Redneck
 
Louisville Glocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 2,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice6 View Post
The gun belts are constructed with an internal reinforcement the prevents the belt from rolling over when you try to bend it edgewise (in the plane of the belt) thus it distributes the gun weight over a much greater distance around your waist.

Difference of "night and day".
Exactly what I was going to say. Night and Day. When you look outside at night, do you notice a difference? You'll notice a similar amount of difference with a gun belt.

They work. Get one.

Cabela's still sells their double duty belts for under forty bucks. Sometimes on sale too. That's the best price I know of for a serious duty belt.

Really, if you carry daily, then it is an absolute no-brainer. Why would you not be willing to spend a few extra bucks on something that lasts for years and makes your everyday life better? A belt isn't just another accessory. It is something you use constantly, day in and day out. If it lasts five years, you're talking 1825 days. Forty bucks means that for two cents a day you're more comfortable and have a gun that stays in the proper place. Yeah, some people are too cheap to spend two cents I guess.
__________________
Louisville Glocker
Louisville Kentucky
G19 G26 G30 Sig 2340 357 Beretta U22 (kid's) Two Saiga 12 Two Draco 7.62x39 "pistols" Colt 6920 Saiga SGL21-94, M92 Krinkov "pistol," PSA Patrol Carbine Saiga 223 CCDW KY

Last edited by Louisville Glocker; 11-20-2012 at 10:10..
Louisville Glocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 15:02   #60
Leigh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eastern Kentucky
Posts: 5,357


As mentioned, the thickness counts, not the width.
I've been carrying (OWB) for 12+ years with the same 1.25 inch dress belt (FIST Holster Co.) to include a Glock 21, 22, and 23 with zero issues.
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 20:33   #61
MeanAction
MeanAction
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Gun belts are usually thicker and stiffer and some have stitching or liners that help stiffen them, so they don't sag with the gun.

Personally, I never buy "gun belts" even for competition. I look for a thick, leather single-layer belt (even some "gun belts" are crappy stitched layers that afll apart). I can get one at Tractor Supply that will work better than a high dollar belt from Galco or Bianchi.
I agree with you. I have a Columbia belt from Sears that is more stiff than any gunbelt. I've found if the belt is too stiff my OWB leather holster won't ride right due to the belt being to stiff to form to the body.
MeanAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:14.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,209
370 Members
839 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42