SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:37   #1
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

NYPD police academy instructor sucker punched, in critical condition.

Sometimes we need to carefully weigh and balance what we are doing. Sad for this cop. If I was a cop, and I had my 7 yr old kid, and there is nothing of a serious misdemeanor or greater taking place, I am calling it in.

Not trying to what if shoulda coulda the guy...

------------------

Cliff notes:

• He is driving with his 7 yr old son.
  • A bunch of teens hit his car with a water balloon
  • He approaches the group of teens (thus, he parked his vehicle and got out)
  • Someone punched him (article does not say where), he falls, hits his head...now he is in critical condition
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_c...loon_flap.html
Gallium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49   #2
barstoolguru
texas proud

Send a message via ICQ to barstoolguru Send a message via Yahoo to barstoolguru
it was a water balloon he should have laughted it off as a prank and not put his kid in danger. so when is a 20 y.o. a teen anyway?
barstoolguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:06   #3
nymike1

Perhaps if he pulled his badge he would have scared them into behaving. But just getting out of the car to confront street youths as a civilian is asking for trouble.
nymike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53   #4
Wash-ar15

same thing happened a couple of years ago in Seattle. The old guy died. young people really have no respect for the elderly or authority anymore.
Wash-ar15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23   #5
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
it was a water balloon he should have laughted it off as a prank and not put his kid in danger. so when is a 20 y.o. a teen anyway?

From the article: "...approached a group of teens and at least one young man..."

Old 07-08-2011, 10:27   #6
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymike1 View Post
Perhaps if he pulled his badge he would have scared them into behaving. But just getting out of the car to confront street youths as a civilian is asking for trouble.

If he got out of his car angry (I'm just going off what the article reports, which may or may not be accurate), you're not supposed to get "angry" in situations like that when taking police action.

Like you, I suspect if he'd pulled his badge upon exiting his car AND called 911, the outcome would have been far different.

Some may say calling 911 might have been un-necessary. Well guess what? At some point down that timeline someone DID have to call 911. If it wasn't serious enough of a nature to call 911, stay in your car and keep on moving.

What the report does not say is, who activated the EMS system? I'd be interested to know.

'Drew
Old 07-08-2011, 10:28   #7
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC Drew View Post
Sometimes we need to carefully weigh and balance what we are doing. Sad for this cop. If I was a cop, and I had my 7 yr old kid, and there is nothing of a serious misdemeanor or greater taking place, I am calling it in.
Even without having a kid with you this seems like another one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" things.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:39   #8
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
Even without having a kid with you this seems like another one of those "just because you can doesn't mean you should" things.

On GT one has to navigate a really thin medium between having honest dialogue on the actions of the subset of society that gets into more altercations than anyone else outside of the military,

vs running the risk of seeming to be overly critical of LE.

So, as you can see in the response of mine you quoted, I took care to not be too critical of his actions, and phrased stuff from the viewpoint of what *I* would do - especially if I had my kid with me. A title, badge, gun and sometimes even uniform are no hedge against getting maimed, killed, hurt.

'Drew
Old 07-08-2011, 11:10   #9
Glock!9

Send a message via AIM to Glock!9
a water balloon could cause an accident if it hit an unsuspecting driver at the wrong place and or time.
He should have called it in and kept going but hey hind site is always 20/20
Old 07-11-2011, 11:02   #10
Dragoon44
Lifetime Membership
Unfair Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Armstrong View Post
+1 but taking action on such a incident with family along is doubly stupid. The types that do this are usually those still in the rookie stage or the ones that are overly impressed with their status as a cop.

The proper course of action would have been to call it in.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:36   #11
David Armstrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoon44 View Post
+1 but taking action on such a incident with family along is doubly stupid. The types that do this are usually those still in the rookie stage or the ones that are overly impressed with their status as a cop.

The proper course of action would have been to call it in.
Agreed. Stupid is stupid, and it gets an extra degree of stupid when it puts others in danger needlessly.
David Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 16:10   #12
D.S.Brown

I don't think stopping was his best plan. However ultimately nobody forced that 20 year old MAN to strike the off duty officer. If that officer doesn't pull through I suspect that the 20 year old in question will be sent somewhere for a LONG time to reflect on how something as innocent as tossing water balloons on moving vehicles, which I suspect could be construed as criminal mischief morphed into something far more serious. Actions have consequences.

The only fault I'd assess with the officer is his reaction. With his son with him he should have as others said, "just called it in." I think the "teens" and this 20 year old adult should have been able to anticipate that someone might not approve of their actions. I suspect they felt safe and insulated because of the mob mentality, unfortunately one member of the mob decided to let himself stand out. I guess in the end I blame this group for the setting in motion of events that took place. Simply put, had they decided to engage in other forms of legal "fun" you wouldn't have a police officer fighting for his life, and a 20 year old man looking at a prison sentence, the length of the latter dependent upon how well the police officer recovers. Prayers out to the officer and his family.

Best,

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
D.S.Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 17:56   #13
Deaf Smith

Sucker punching has a long history, about as long as the history of man!

The officer had every right to stop the individuals or just call it in as he was an LEO.

But he failed to keep them at a distance and that distance is critical for when you are close you don't have to be good, just fast. If one is close to you it just takes a fraction of a second to get a jump on your reflexes. Add to that the other actors who are distractions and, well, you see what happens.

Nor did he see the indicators they were going to do anything. Tipoffs like brushing their hair back or gesturing with their hands while approaching (especially when you have told them to stay back), or stare at your midriff (preparing to tackle you), or while he is talking a second actor walks behind you.

Keep that in mind on the street. Around here I keep reading of individuals that are robbed by someone who just walks up and jumps them, no guns or knives, usually at 2 AM in the morning. They call them over or try to ask questions and get close enough, then jump then while they are distracted by gestures.

Deaf
Old 07-19-2011, 18:02   #14
GlocksterPaulie
Perfectionist

It does not matter what conclusion all of us come to he made a huge mistake and hopefully it does not cost him his life. The days of playing Billy bad ass should be way behind us. LEO or civilian.

I hope he has a full recovery.

Paulie
GlocksterPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 22:06   #15
crsuribe
10mm Auto

SHouldve started shooting before asking any questions imo

*I love USA*
crsuribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 19:33   #16
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

I'm happy to report that the detective was successfully brought out of the coma, and is making progress towards recovery.

'Drew
Old 07-26-2011, 19:43   #17
alexanderg23

Just be cool and no gets hurt
Old 07-22-2012, 05:59   #18
Gallium
CLM Number 182
Charter Lifetime Member

One year bump....going to check on how he is doing tomorrow (as in ask around, I don't know the gent).
Old 07-22-2012, 06:06   #19
TheExplorer

Unless my family or a civilian was in jeopardy, I'd keep my mouth shut and call 911 like others have said. No sense in putting lives at risk over non threatening situations.

Happy to hear is doing better:-)
TheExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:29   #20
uzimon
team ftp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallium View Post
call in a water baloon strike?
here the cops wont even do anything for a hit and run with damage under $500. even if you have a plate #
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1389912

Last edited by uzimon; 07-22-2012 at 06:33..
uzimon is offline   Reply With Quote