SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-05-2012, 23:59   #1
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Taurus 92 clone.

Anybody here have one? My uncle recently showed me his which is unfired. I asked him if I could take it out to the pond damn to stretch it's legs and his response was oh hell no!

Apparently he thinks he's sitting on a gold mine, he feels the same way about his unfired stainless P95. I told him the truth but he won't believe me lol.

The Taurus really feels like a solid pistol, is it really a carbon copy of the beretta?
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 00:18   #2
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post
Anybody here have one? My uncle recently showed me his which is unfired. I asked him if I could take it out to the pond damn to stretch it's legs and his response was oh hell no!

Apparently he thinks he's sitting on a gold mine, he feels the same way about his unfired stainless P95. I told him the truth but he won't believe me lol.

The Taurus really feels like a solid pistol, is it really a carbon copy of the beretta?

My wife bought one because she preferred the frame safety to the slide safety on the later Berettas. I do too. They are for almost all purposes a Beretta.when Beretta got the contract for the US military, they had to build a plant in the US as part of it so the sold their European equipment to Taurus and sent along personel to set it up and train the Taurus people.

They are a great "shooters" gun and I reccomend them for those who like the Beretta design, but I don't think they will EVER, in my lifetime, have any collectors value.Too many were made, still are, and they arent "Berettas". Kind of like the uberti "peacemaker" clone I have, probably better made and with better features, but it will never bring the price of a Colt. An NIB Taurus would struggle to get the price of a used Beretta, good for shooters but bad for someone who thinks it's a collectors item.

Last edited by countrygun; 06-06-2012 at 00:20..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 00:24   #3
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Not quite a carbon copy of the Beretta, but damn close.
Old 06-06-2012, 00:44   #4
Glock40man

In my experience, they are good shooters, and reliable. My uncle had one for a few years.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:48   #5
Highspeedlane
NRA Life Member

I owned the PT99 in the 90's and it was a solid, utterly reliable, very accurate pistol. I sold it to finance some camera equipment but wish I'd hung on to it now.

Not sure I'd consider it a "gold mine" but definitely serviceable in the example I had. Particularly liked the option to carry C1.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53   #6
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highspeedlane View Post
I owned the PT99 in the 90's and it was a solid, utterly reliable, very accurate pistol. I sold it to finance some camera equipment but wish I'd hung on to it now.

Not sure I'd consider it a "gold mine" but definitely serviceable in the example I had. Particularly liked the option to carry C1.

Thanks for the input! I never said it was a gold mine but my uncle thinks his is. If he'll never let me shoot it I'm sure I'll get his when he passes, then I'll get to play with it.

Id rather have him around for more years to come but you get the idea.
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 03:31   #7
bac1023

Its Taurus' best pistol by far, in my opinion. I've got one myself. Its not quite a Beretta clone though.

As far as your uncle is concerned, he has two good pistols. However, as good as they are, neither the Ruger P95 or the Taurus 92 are worth much from a monetary standpoint. Keeping them unfired is not going to help much. They have little resale value, fired or not.

Tell him to take them out and shoot them. I'm not sure why he would consider any Taurus a "gold mine". None of their handguns, whether they're good or bad, are worth much on the used market. That's just the way it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 04:46   #8
clancy

I had a PT 92. It was a damned good pistol and I regret getting rid of it.

But a collector's piece?
clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:01   #9
Creatism

I had one too, it was my first gun. Printed low left every freaking time (it was the sites not trigger control) put, oh heck 2000 some odd rounds through it. Never a hiccup.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Creatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:22   #10
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post

Very true, just to add, Beretta's earlier model, the 92 is what
Taurus copied. The machines and prints are said to have been sold to Taurus.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 05:40   #11
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Very true, just to add, Beretta's earlier model, the 92 is what
Taurus copied. The machines and prints are said to have been sold to Taurus.
Yeah, when Beretta put the safety in the right place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:52   #12
ca survivor

Taurus had the clone way before US adopted the Beretta.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 06:56   #13
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
Taurus had the clone way before US adopted the Beretta.
The Taurus PT92 & the Beretta 92fs/M9 are VERY different!
Both were introduced in the mid eighties. The M9 entered
into service in 1990.

Last edited by faawrenchbndr; 06-06-2012 at 07:01..
Old 06-06-2012, 07:51   #14
oldnoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19_AJ View Post

Taurus 92 actually fallow a closer evolution to the original Beretta 92. They both have changes through out the generation. I finally had a change to pick one up last year to company my Beretta.

It's a solid piece for sure. Maybe just a tap weaker on the tool marks on the internal finishes (when compare to Beretta 92), slightly rougher trigger. But beside those, very close on build quality.

I definitely prefer its safety location more so than the Beretta 92. But as you predicted, your uncle is not sitting on a gold mine. New Taurus 92 runs about $200 lesser than new Beretta 92 and there are plenty of them out there. Even the shinny SS with gold trigger version of PT92 is not worth much more out on the used market.

It is, however IMO the best of Taurus production line.

General Firearms Forum

My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:59   #15
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Looks very clean 'noob!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:04   #16
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
agreed I had the PT 99 the adjustable sight version. I had the money to buy the beretta OR the Taurus and acutally CHOSE the Taurus because its controls are where controls should be on the frame not the slide. The Taurus was also the ONLY gun ive owned that NEVER from round 1 to near round 9,000+(maybe 10,000+) had a malfunction..I cant say that about any other gun I have owned...even the Glock 23 had a issue once stovepiping a round or 2 and B4 I got it fully broke in(cleaned out the striker channel of cosmoline like gunk) my Ruger SR9c was light striking rounds(been 100% through 1800 rounds now) but not since..that Taurus never stopped once..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 09:05   #17
bac1023

Here's mine.

I've got the AFS model.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by bac1023; 06-06-2012 at 09:06..
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08   #18
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
agreed I had the PT 99 the adjustable sight version. I had the money to buy the beretta OR the Taurus and acutally CHOSE the Taurus because its controls are where controls should be on the frame not the slide. The Taurus was also the ONLY gun ive owned that NEVER from round 1 to near round 9,000+(maybe 10,000+) had a malfunction..I cant say that about any other gun I have owned...even the Glock 23 had a issue once stovepiping a round or 2 and B4 I got it fully broke in(cleaned out the striker channel of cosmoline like gunk) my Ruger SR9c was light striking rounds(been 100% through 1800 rounds now) but not since..that Taurus never stopped once..

Yeah, it is definitely Taurus' best pistol by a landslide. Its really the only Taurus auto I like, actually.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:38   #19
oldnoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Here's mine.

I've got the AFS model.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
Nice one Bac. I wish I had found an AFS without the rail.

My mini forum.
oldnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 10:35   #20
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
Yeah, it is definitely Taurus' best pistol by a landslide. Its really the only Taurus auto I like, actually.
Me too...Id be willing to try out a Mil Pro 145 as to me its pretty much got the perfect size weight ratio for a CC .45 ACP..but id go into it knowing I have a chance to get a good one or one thats gonna be messed up lol...Im SURE the % of good ones far outweigh the bad ones(or lets face it the company would not be in business anymore) but thats because I know my CH85 and Ruger SR9c are good guns..so if I happened on the off chance to get a bum Mil Pro 145 then id still have a CC weapon not be without one
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote