SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:46   #1
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

How many rounds do you fire before trusting?

Doesn't matter if it's a Glock, 1911, or revolver.
How many rounds do you fire before you will trust a handgun?

I think 200-300
Some say 1000. Others say 500. One thinks 14.

What are YOUR thoughts?
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:47   #2
Darkangel1846

couple hundred.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:49   #3
Wil Ufgood
CLM Number 263
GTDS #88

Function Check, Done! 14rds that costs money.

Last edited by Wil Ufgood; 06-03-2012 at 12:53..
Wil Ufgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:06   #4
BOM

500 FMJs and 200 of what I'm going to carry.
Old 06-03-2012, 13:11   #5
Motor City Glocker
Gun Addict

In a Glock or Beretta, 200 will do for me. In a 1911, I like to throw in 40-50 of whatever hollow point rounds I will carry in it.
Old 06-03-2012, 13:20   #6
ronin.45

A box or so. If its going to jam it'll be right away. Otherwise it'll most likely be a part break and that could happen at round 1 or 1000.
Old 06-03-2012, 13:22   #7
shadowman024

200 fmj in a row without failure 100 jhp without failure if i get a failure 200 fmj agian.
Jhp are easy they either feed or they don't so if you get 50 rnds of jhp down without a problem youre probably good
Old 06-03-2012, 13:24   #8
deputy tom

I'm usually good for 150 rds. However I read that Kahr pistols needed to have 200 rds thru them for break-in. I did that without any failures so it's GTG.tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cẹl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:39   #9
byf43
NRA Life Member

250 rounds IF I'm going to carry the firearm.

The weapon must perform 100%. No hiccups of any kind, for me to trust it with my life.

It must digest at least 100 rounds of the ammo that I want to carry, without one hiccup before I trust it.

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:41   #10
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

I say 1000, cuz you might as well get a good degree of proficiency while you're at it.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 06-03-2012 at 13:41..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:49   #11
Andrewsky

I do not trust any firearms. I always try to have back-up weapons on me or nearby.
Andrewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:50   #12
hogship
It's MY Island

200 for automatics........50 for a revolver

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:52   #13
paulbow

2-300 plus a couple boxes of carry ammo.
paulbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 13:53   #14
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

I carry a GLOCK after all!!
Old 06-03-2012, 14:00   #15
GRT45
Transform & Win

150 rounds fired of the JHP carry ammo, without a failure, is what I decided was sufficiently trustworthy operation to use a NIB Glock 45ACP pistol for CCW.

However, I always fire the full mag of JHP ammo I carried the past week as the first drill of each range practice session to verify proper functioning of pistol, CCW mag, and JHP ammo.

"Trust, but verify" was a favorite maxim that one of my heroes liked to recite when dealing with the former Soviet Union, and it's a good policy today for a weapon that may save your life one day.

Trust but verify: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=As6y5eI01XE

: Strictly monogamous, I have one Glock and one woman.
GLOCK Certified Armorer,
Member,
Endowment Member, Eagle Scout

Last edited by GRT45; 06-03-2012 at 19:25..
GRT45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:01   #16
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

If it's a new gun then 100 rounds should let you know if you've bought something decent or a POS. For a used gun that's already had a few hundred rounds through it a couple mags should let you know if it's going to run or not.
For Civilians you'll expend 3 or 4 rounds in a "Gun Fight" so if you can run a mag through your gun and not have any malfunctions then you've ran more ammo through it then you'll fire in a Life and Death situation.
Most Problem Guns do so right out of the box at which point they need to be sent back to the manufacture for repair or replacement. Any quality firearm of proper design should run right out of the box, 100%, NO exceptions. If you need to break the gun in or have to put 500 rounds through it before you'll trust it then you need to find a different gun to carry.
My Glock G26 4th Gen ran 100% right out of the box, the used Beretta 92F Compact I bought ran 100%, PX4 Storm 40cal ran 100%, The ATI 1911 was 100% once I got decent mags for it, my current XD45 is 100% and my PK380 has been 100%. I really don't see the need to waste ammo trying to "prove" that my gun is going to run, I know it'll run because it has been running 100% and as long as I feed it quality ammo and keep it clean it should continue to run 100%.
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:04   #17
ctfireman

I'm pretty trusting with my guns. I'll carry a new gun after 100 rounds, sometimes less. I seem to be an exception in this case but i guess its bc i've been fortunate to never get a lemon of a firearm. I mean after all they are built to shoot.

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:40   #18
Nestor
Lean & Mean

I'm going to repeat what I already said in the other thread, that was closed.
You may say that any failure at 500 rounds is immaterial because you will never shoot it that much in real life or maybe because you can't afford the ammo or maybe because the previous owner did it for You already (really?).
Now consider this: the gun that is riding around your butt in its holster for a while may in fact be a lot closer in terms of operational condition to that of 500 rounds mark than you might believe. If You are too busy posting all over the internet how remarkably wonderful your gun is and you have no time to clean your pistol every few days it may be even worse, especially under dusty, hot or humid conditions.
It's exposed to all the crap out there. By the end of the day my revolver is usually very dirty - that's because I'm living on the prairies - lot of dust in the air and it's everywhere...no way to hide from it.
This is exactly why it's important to test your self defense gun thoroughly, and yes - that means a days where you shoot 500 or more rounds through it without cleaning or otherwise pumping up that thing.
It's not to prove that the gun will shoot 500 rounds without any malfunctions.
It's simply the best way to determine whether the gun will function in the non so pristine condition in which it probably always exists.
The goal should be zero malfunctions, because that's what's necessary when your life is on the line.
Firing few rounds and call it a day is a joke.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:54   #19
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
It's exposed to all the crap out there. By the end of the day my revolver is usually very dirty - that's because I'm living on the prairies - lot of dust in the air and it's everywhere...no way to hide from it.
So maybe instead of burning up 500 rounds you can run 20 thought the gun to confirm it's function then dip it in a bucket of mud/dirt/sand and run another 20 through it to see how it'll function under the extreme contritions you'll experience? IF it won't run then you need to find a different design that will work under those conditions.
Having actually worked for a Firearms Manufacture I can say, from experience, that we would do a function and accuracy test on all the guns we build before they left the factory. If they didn't pass they'd be returned to the gunsmith to be worked on and adjusted until they would pass all the tests. Any quality firearms manufacture will actually test their guns before they box them up and ship them out the door. There is also a lot of testing with any new design for what is called "Proof of Concept" to make sure that any gun that will be manufactured will actually work in the Real World BEFORE the manufacture tools up to produce it. They do many, many Thousands of rounds of testing before production then a function and accuracy test before the gun is boxed up and leaves the factory. All we're really doing when we run 100 rounds through a new gun is checking to see if the sights are set for us and so we can get use to the trigger and controls on the new gun.

Last edited by TN.Frank; 06-03-2012 at 14:55..
TN.Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 14:55   #20
barth
six barrels

200 is the magic number

Quote:
Originally Posted by faawrenchbndr View Post
Doesn't matter if it's a Glock, 1911, or revolver.
How many rounds do you fire before you will trust a handgun?

I think 200-300
Some say 1000. Others say 500. One thinks 14.

What are YOUR thoughts?
200 rounds has always been the rule for me.
Specifically with the carry ammo and mags.

If I change ammo or get new mags it's back to the range - LOL!
Isn't that one a heart breaker.

Makes me want to switch SD ammo or get some new mags just because...

Last edited by barth; 06-03-2012 at 14:56..
barth is offline   Reply With Quote