Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-01-2012, 23:21   #1
Soonerbldr

Books for Building an AR-15

So I am thinking about trying to assemble my own AR.
Does anyone have any books that they would recommend on building an AR?
Soonerbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 23:24   #2
WoodenPlank
Who?

Plenty of videos on Youtube, not sure about books on assembly.

Even assembling a lower will need a special tool (and, ideally, several special ones), and even more so to properly assemble an upper from scratch. If this is your first AR, I strongly suggest buying a pre-assembled upper and lower - either separately, or as a complete rifle.
Old 06-01-2012, 23:32   #3
Snaps
Hail 2 The King

there's also a whole DIY section on AR15.com that can walk you through every step better than any book can. Guys over there are pretty damn helpful.

The lower is easy as hell ot install unless you have no mechanical ability. The upper requires special tools.

Not sure what the guy above me is talking about with special tools, unless you're doing a tele-stock you don't need anything special. Punches, hammer, roll pin punch, crew drivers and a wrench. I can put those together on my kitchen table in about 10mins tops. That's counting looking for the spring I always drop

Last edited by Snaps; 06-01-2012 at 23:33..
Snaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 23:36   #4
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
there's also a whole DIY section on AR15.com that can walk you through every step better than any book can. Guys over there are pretty damn helpful.

The lower is easy as hell ot install unless you have no mechanical ability. The upper requires special tools.

Not sure what the guy above me is talking about with special tools, unless you're doing a tele-stock you don't need anything special. Punches, hammer, roll pin punch, crew drivers and a wrench. I can put those together on my kitchen table in about 10mins tops. That's counting looking for the spring I always drop
To do it correctly, you'll also need a castle nut wrench(or adapter and a torque wrench), a vice, and a lower receiver vice block to ensure the castle nut is torqued correctly. Staking is the cheap solution, but you still don't have a properly torqued castle nut.

Many people do not have vice grips, or a proper hammer and punch set laying around the house, so that is an additional cost for them to be able to assemble the upper.

Edit: if it's worth doing, it's worth doing correctly. Not torquing the castle nut and barrel nut to the proper spec is a good way to invite issues down the road.

Last edited by WoodenPlank; 06-01-2012 at 23:42..
WoodenPlank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:30   #5
MARSH1
Dealer

Buy the tools and do it yourself. If you are like most of us you will wind up doing it eventually anyway. As posted the build your own section of AR15.com has all the info you will need.

Marshall

PS: I know a good source for parts. LOL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Proud to be a Glock Talk site sponsor!

Last edited by MARSH1; 06-02-2012 at 04:40..
MARSH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:21   #6
Magelk

WoodenPlank is right about doing it correctly and torquing things properly. That being said and this being your first build, I'd buy a complete upper if I were you and skip the torquing of the barrel nut. That would be the step I always think someone might mess up on. And who wants to F up a barrel or the threads first time around. You'll be doing the build thing again so you could save doing a barrel yourself for later down the road with more experience. It's the nature of the disease.
Magelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:23   #7
DWS22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonerbldr View Post
So I am thinking about trying to assemble my own AR.
Does anyone have any books that they would recommend on building an AR?

....here is a couple on lowers,,,web sites..that I use/used...I also wondered the same "which book" was available too.. Similar to the Glock Ptooma reference guide..I have of yet to locate one....

http://www.ar15.com/content/guides/assembly/lower/

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=11011/learn/
DWS22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 05:24   #8
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Do not attempt to assemble an upper without a delrin upper receiver block, a vise, and an armorer's tool (or special tool provided by the manufacturer of the forend you intend to use.

There are other tools that are handy for a lower receiver build. The most important is a set of brass pin punches.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:50   #9
Soonerbldr

Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was thinking about doing the assembled upper. My brother has built several but he lives about 600 miles away and his wife keeps him on a short leash!

Thanks for the advice and the web links!
Soonerbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:54   #10
wolf19r
Problem Solved!

Send a message via AIM to wolf19r
Youtube! I built my lower one night in less then an hour and that included finding my tools, watching the videos, and then watching the videos and building it as they played.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:13   #11
rjroberts

Look on Brownells.com. They have a bunch of videos and plenty of books to choose from. As another poster said, have the right tools, and I'd underscore that. Brownells has a kit for about $100. which has everything you need. Might seem like a lot for one, but screw up something and it costs more. Also, I look at possible SHTF and want to support my M4 - yep, only have one but with spare parts.
there's nothing to plunder.
I'm an over 40 victim of fate

Last edited by rjroberts; 06-02-2012 at 11:13.. Reason: typo
rjroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 21:15   #12
m2hmghb

Wooden I have to add that if you use an A2 buttstock you don't have a castle nut, it's only for the carbine stocks that you need one.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 21:17   #13
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
Wooden I have to add that if you use an A2 buttstock you don't have a castle nut, it's only for the carbine stocks that you need one.
For every one person using an A2 stock, there are probably 50 using carbine stocks. Carbine stocks are the norm now, not fixed.
Old 06-02-2012, 21:24   #14
themighty9mm

http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf

This guy is by far a favorite of mine. Very knowledgable, polite, and quick to answer any questions.
themighty9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 21:54   #15
m2hmghb

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
For every one person using an A2 stock, there are probably 50 using carbine stocks. Carbine stocks are the norm now, not fixed.
It depends where you live, in MD, CA, NY, CT and some other states they're the norm. Pinned stocks are more of a hassle to get.

The M1 Garand rifle is the best battle implement ever devised by man.
m2hmghb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 21:55   #16
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2hmghb View Post
It depends where you live, in MD, CA, NY, CT and some other states they're the norm. Pinned stocks are more of a hassle to get.
Fair point.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:16   #17
shotgunred
reloading nut

The only specialty tool you have to have is a barrel wrench which you can buy for $20.00
Everything else can be worked around easily enough.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:24   #18
bullittmcqueen
Gunfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by themighty9mm View Post
http://www.youtube.com/user/ssdsurf

This guy is by far a favorite of mine. Very knowledgable, polite, and quick to answer any questions.
THIS. Watch surf's videos before you build.

If you want a book, get Walk Kulick's Ar-15 assembly guide.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

bullittmcqueen is offline   Reply With Quote