Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-31-2012, 16:18   #1
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Indiana License to Carry is a racket!

I had to order a new copy of my Lifetime permit the other day, and I got to thinking. I paid $65 for my lifetime, and because it's a cheap piece of paper, it's gonna go bad even if I laminate it. $20 dollars to order a replacement. My permit has had a whole side of it not readable for years, but I didn't bother messing with it until recently when the lamination tore. I tried to do a photocopy of my new one, but it didn't turn out well at all. I think it was due to the quality of the copy machine I was using. Maybe I'll go to Kinkos and pay their costs to make me a few copies, or maybe scan me a copy.

Why can't Indiana just go to a "card" similar to a drivers license? I'm not saying take peoples pictures, etc.. just put it on a plastic card, instead of a piece of crap piece of paper.

Am I the only Indiana resident that gets chapped by this?

IGF
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 05-31-2012 at 16:19..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 18:13   #2
sr556m9

I wouldn't be complaining too much if I were you. Here in Michigan, your license costs you $105 every 5 years (actually less than that because it goes by your birthdate, so it ends up being more like 4 years or so). Plus you have to have a passport photo taken which costs another $10. Might as well figure $115. You only have to pay $65 for a lifetime, and, even if you have to replace the license every few years for $20, that is not bad at all. Indiana has a sweet ccw issue system.
sr556m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 20:51   #3
xmanhockey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr556m9 View Post
I wouldn't be complaining too much if I were you. Here in Michigan, your license costs you $105 every 5 years (actually less than that because it goes by your birthdate, so it ends up being more like 4 years or so). Plus you have to have a passport photo taken which costs another $10. Might as well figure $115. You only have to pay $65 for a lifetime, and, even if you have to replace the license every few years for $20, that is not bad at all. Indiana has a sweet ccw issue system.
Almost exactly what I was about to say. I will say that my Maine permit is like a DL but it's really faded and I haven't even had it a year. My North Dakota permit on the other hand is holding up nicely.
Old 05-31-2012, 21:01   #4
MN-glock27

Couldn't you make multiple copies of it before you have it laminated, thus giving you a lifetime supply of copy's you could have laminated at a later date?
MN-glock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 21:17   #5
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-glock27 View Post
Couldn't you make multiple copies of it before you have it laminated, thus giving you a lifetime supply of copy's you could have laminated at a later date?
Well, this was kinda my point. I had tried to make copies, and they turned out crappy, but like I said I think that might have been the quality of the copier I was using. Right now, I've not laminated my new permit till I figure out a way to be able to print copies... as this $20 TAX is getting on my nerves..lol.

Also, I understand IN has a very easy system, and I know a lot of folks would love a lifetime permit, but is it really a lifetime permit when I have to pay $20 every few years because it is unreadable? Thus my point, its a racket!
Old 06-01-2012, 00:28   #6
MN-glock27

Over on INGO, I've read about guys going to kinkos/UPS or the like and getting quality copies there. Probably the easiest route and it's still better off than than the rest of us without lifetime permits!
MN-glock27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 00:39   #7
PAGunner

Complain too much, lifetime permi is a sweet option. If I had 1k laying around, I'd pay that to obtain a lifetime Florida permit and be done with it. 20 bucks for a replacement card is nothing.
Old 06-01-2012, 00:43   #8
PAGunner

I almost wish I lived in IN knowing they have that option, only other state I know of with lifetime permits is NY, and they make you jump through hoops to get it, can be taken away easy, you need it to touch a gun and there is an AWB there with a duty to retreat, cold weather, high taxes, nanny state laws and corrupt politicians, I'll pass on ever calling myself a NYS citizen again!
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06   #9
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-glock27 View Post
Over on INGO, I've read about guys going to kinkos/UPS or the like and getting quality copies there. Probably the easiest route and it's still better off than than the rest of us without lifetime permits!
I'll have to check out Kinkos tomorrow. Is there a way to save a "digital copy" at Kinkos if I take a thumb drive? I've never been there before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAGunner View Post
I almost wish I lived in IN knowing they have that option, only other state I know of with lifetime permits is NY, and they make you jump through hoops to get it, can be taken away easy, you need it to touch a gun and there is an AWB there with a duty to retreat, cold weather, high taxes, nanny state laws and corrupt politicians, I'll pass on ever calling myself a NYS citizen again!
Yeah, I know.. it sounds like I'm whining (and maybe I am since all of you are telling me I am.. ) but it's just irritating. Once I get some good copies, I imagine I'll be happy...as I won't have to go through this again.

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 06-01-2012 at 02:12..
Old 06-01-2012, 02:23   #10
cadillacguns

Chill Freak, Kinkos is the place to go, same exact color paper as the LTCH there. However, depending on who is behind the counter you either get help in making copies, or some a hole that says "we can't make copies of that sir"!. In that case next question is, give me a few sheets of pink paper and I make my own. Keep you original safe, and have your copies laminated. I have one in my car, and one in my remora holster holding my Glock of the day, besides...........Indiana has it good for 2nd Ammendment folowers, a small price to pay compared to most other states.
GLOCKS #1 FAN!!!

"IN GLOCK WE TRUST"
cadillacguns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 05:04   #11
happyguy
Man, I'm Pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
I had to order a new copy of my Lifetime permit the other day, and I got to thinking. I paid $65 for my lifetime, and because it's a cheap piece of paper, it's gonna go bad even if I laminate it. $20 dollars to order a replacement. My permit has had a whole side of it not readable for years, but I didn't bother messing with it until recently when the lamination tore. I tried to do a photocopy of my new one, but it didn't turn out well at all. I think it was due to the quality of the copy machine I was using. Maybe I'll go to Kinkos and pay their costs to make me a few copies, or maybe scan me a copy.

Why can't Indiana just go to a "card" similar to a drivers license? I'm not saying take peoples pictures, etc.. just put it on a plastic card, instead of a piece of crap piece of paper.

Am I the only Indiana resident that gets chapped by this?

IGF
They should allow it to be put on your drivers license like any other endorsement if you desire.

Regards,
Happyguy
Proverbs 21:31 The horse is prepared against the day of battle: but victory is of the LORD.

"I refuse to tip-toe through life only to arrive at death safely."

Last edited by happyguy; 06-01-2012 at 05:05..
happyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:24   #12
SJ 40

Ours has weathered quite well,been printed on the same paper since 1791,cost some of our fore fathers life's,Thank You Green Mountain Boys ! SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:31   #13
n9znd

I had Kinko's make me copys and they look just like the originals. I put the original in the safe and put a copy everywhere. I have them in both vehicles,motorcycle, extra copys in the house and my wife has a copy in her purse. Always covered. I am not sure I could tell the original from the copys. Jim
n9znd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 08:20   #14
pack-indy
Emissary

^ This guy has the right idea. I've had to replace my lifetime permit as well as my old 4 year permit. That pink piece of paper doesn't last very long for me either.
pack-indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:38   #15
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Well, for those interested. I ended up hitting Kinkos, came away w/ 5 copies, and also went ahead and put a scanned image on a thumb drive. I'll store it on my server so it's always there if I need it.

Thanks for the suggestion. New permit is laminated and old one has been scissored..

happyguy -- That's actually not to bad of an idea. However, I don't trust the BMV AT ALL after they suspended my license when I was 20, for "failure to show proof of financial responsibility" for an accident I was never in..lol. This of course, is not even counting the fact I had valid insurance, never had gotten a notice there was some problem I was supposedly involved in, etc.. Yeah, once I got down there, it was 5min to fix. However, that could have went ugly had I got stopped on a "suspended" license, etc..

IGF
Old 06-01-2012, 09:39   #16
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

By the way, anyone going to the 1500 today? This is my only day off this week, so I'm gonna be there when they open. I don't usually buy anything, just like to walk around and look at new guns, look at reloading stuff, etc.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:06   #17
pack-indy
Emissary

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGunFreak View Post
By the way, anyone going to the 1500 today? This is my only day off this week, so I'm gonna be there when they open. I don't usually buy anything, just like to walk around and look at new guns, look at reloading stuff, etc.
I was thinking about it. Friday nights are the best day to go anyways. The crowds can get crazy otherwise.
pack-indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:22   #18
jb1911

If you really want to be pissed off, move to Illinois.

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 17:47   #19
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
If you really want to be pissed off, move to Illinois.
I won't even look at Illinois on a map..
Old 06-01-2012, 22:09   #20
TDC20

Any time you have to pay to exercise your rights, it's a racket. No, make that a shakedown. But that's the way governments are these days. Any excuse to get in your pocket. It's $100 every 3 years in Missouri if you want 2nd amendment rights, so count yourself lucky. But at least a man can buy his rights in Missouri. In the people's republic of Illinois, you may only have the rights they allow you to have.

Last edited by TDC20; 06-01-2012 at 22:12..
TDC20 is offline   Reply With Quote