Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-30-2012, 13:46   #1
Buffering
The Cooler

Aippi - your thoughts on the long mag tube 870s?

1. Have you looked at one aka taken it apart to observe the strengths and weaknesses of the design?

2. Will this eventually be the standard for extended capacity 870s?

3. Is this a tacit admission by Remington that their factory +2 extension does not measure up to aftermarket?

4. Other thoughts and comments?
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 14:13   #2
aippi

If you go to my web site you will see one as the "Basic I" model. So, yes I understand the weapon and it is still an 870 but with a funky tube. And I do not like the fact that there is only one barrel for it.

What I have discovered is that if I add a Wilson one shot extension I only increase the length of the weapon by less then 1/2" but make it a 7+1 capacity. You have to drill out the detents and install a magazine detent on the barrel ring but that is certainly worth the work to get that extra round.

No, they did not change this because of their two shot extension. They changed it as it is cheaper to build. It also puts some more differences between the P and the HD model for more clowns to talk about. And it makes that model a dedicated Defense weapon with a cyl bore barrel and if you want an 870 for any sporting use you have to go buy another one.

Other thoughts and comments. "Freedom Group" sucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer
aippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:35   #3
jb1911

I have one and I'm very happy with it. I don't see a scenario where I would want another barrel for it, I wouldn't use it for hunting or skeet, I've got a 20 gauge 870 for that. I like the fact that it has a one piece magazine tube, in fact, that's one of the things that people have been complaining about, "why doesn't Remington have a one piece tube like Mossberg?". I measured it and if they moved the barrel lug as far out as they could you still couldn't get another round in it. I think it looks right the way it is. The only thing I'd change is the finish, you really have to watch the rust.

Tactical Shotguns

Black Rifle Club Member "LE6920Colt"

Last edited by jb1911; 05-30-2012 at 15:37..
jb1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 13:23   #4
MBG20

i think its great, i wish they would have went ahead and made a full length mag tube like the winchester 1300 has..i had asked a few shops a year or 2 ago about converting one for me but none were interested..
MBG20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 17:27   #5
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I have one and I'm very happy with it. I don't see a scenario where I would want another barrel for it, I wouldn't use it for hunting or skeet, I've got a 20 gauge 870 for that. I like the fact that it has a one piece magazine tube, in fact, that's one of the things that people have been complaining about, "why doesn't Remington have a one piece tube like Mossberg?". I measured it and if they moved the barrel lug as far out as they could you still couldn't get another round in it. I think it looks right the way it is. The only thing I'd change is the finish, you really have to watch the rust.
Once again.

Old 05-31-2012, 21:08   #6
MBG20

Quote:
Once again.
well the winchester 1300 and benelli M4 both can have 18.5 barrel and full length 7 shot tubes..you can get extensions for regular 870s that give you 7 in the tube..the wilson/vang are too short. the factory extension is the right length, but the crimp for the mag clamp blocks the follower from moving up far enough..then there was the MAX100 fiasco lol..
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12   #7
jb1911

Here's another picture of the barrel and magazine. I can just fit 6 x 2 3/4" rounds in the magazine. You make the call.

Tactical Shotguns

Last edited by jb1911; 06-01-2012 at 09:15..
Old 06-01-2012, 19:52   #8
MBG20

Quote:
Here's another picture of the barrel and magazine. I can just fit 6 x 2 3/4" rounds in the magazine. You make the call.

Tactical Shotguns
well heres 7 shells lined up on an 18.5 barrel..plenty room for spring and follower left..

Tactical Shotguns
Old 06-01-2012, 21:56   #9
aippi

What the heck are guys talking about?????????????????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 06-01-2012 at 21:56..
Old 06-01-2012, 22:13   #10
Buffering
The Cooler

Aippi,

This thread needs a grief counselor.
"Of every 100 men that go to battle 70 should not even be there, 20 are nothing but targets, 9 are true soldiers, and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make but ONE, one is a warrior, and HE will bring the others home." Hericlitus
Buffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 23:37   #11
my762buzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffering View Post
1. Have you looked at one aka taken it apart to observe the strengths and weaknesses of the design?

2. Will this eventually be the standard for extended capacity 870s?

3. Is this a tacit admission by Remington that their factory +2 extension does not measure up to aftermarket?

4. Other thoughts and comments?
I posted a thread about welding on an extra lug to support making a custom one piece extended magazine a while back and now remington is making some in their factory go figure.
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/show....php?t=1259833

A 2 lug system might offer a bit more support to the magazine tube. One at the pump handle end and another at the muzzle.

Last edited by my762buzz; 06-01-2012 at 23:40..
my762buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:34   #12
DaleGribble
Well Heeled Bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
What the heck are guys talking about?????????????????
I think (meaning I'm guessing here) MB is complaining about the fact that Remington didn't extend the magazine all the way out to the end of the barrel so the gun will hold seven rounds and I think Jb is saying six rounds is plenty and he measured something (insert obvious Freudian reference here).

I'll send you a bill for the translation.

Last edited by DaleGribble; 06-02-2012 at 04:37..
DaleGribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:54   #13
GoBow

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBG20 View Post
well heres 7 shells lined up on an 18.5 barrel..plenty room for spring and follower left..
MBG, I could very well be wrong here, but I don't think that the spring would compress enough to fit in the "space" that's left over...

Seem to recall that if you you compress a spring too much (like if the coils touch each other), you're over flexing it and asking for failure.
GoBow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38   #14
Hokie
NRA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBow View Post
MBG, I could very well be wrong here, but I don't think that the spring would compress enough to fit in the "space" that's left over...

Seem to recall that if you you compress a spring too much (like if the coils touch each other), you're over flexing it and asking for failure.
My 870 with a factory 2 round extension that is even with the barrel and it only holds 6 rounds + one in the chamber so I would assume that if the one piece mag tube was extended it would have to go past the barrel to hold 7 in the tube. It would not have to go much past as if I try to put a 7th round in there is room to compress the spring more just not enough to get the whole shell in.
Hokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 13:05   #15
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleGribble View Post
I think (meaning I'm guessing here) MB is complaining about the fact that Remington didn't extend the magazine all the way out to the end of the barrel so the gun will hold seven rounds and I think Jb is saying six rounds is plenty and he measured something (insert obvious Freudian reference here).

I'll send you a bill for the translation.
Did you really not read what I said? I can get 6 x 2 3/4" shells in my 25077 magazine. If the magazine was extended to the end of the barrel it still wouldn't be long enough for 7. I never said that I thought 6 rounds was enough. There's no such thing as enough. I posted this picture as proof.

Tactical Shotguns
It's not really that complicated, try to keep up.

Last edited by jb1911; 06-02-2012 at 13:07..
Old 06-02-2012, 15:45   #16
MBG20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie View Post
My 870 with a factory 2 round extension that is even with the barrel and it only holds 6 rounds + one in the chamber so I would assume that if the one piece mag tube was extended it would have to go past the barrel to hold 7 in the tube. It would not have to go much past as if I try to put a 7th round in there is room to compress the spring more just not enough to get the whole shell in.
the factory remington extensions have an indented ring around them that the clamp screw rides in, it prevents the follower from passing by allowing only 6 rounds..the same way the factory +3 on a 20" barrel only allows 7 rounds, when the full length mossberg tube on a 20" barrel holds 8...the facts are out there, winchester defender 18.5 with full length tube hold 7, benelli m4 with full length tube holds 7, mossberg 590a1 with 18.5 barrel and 5 round factory tube with a flush fitting +2 extension holds 7, the max100 extension flush with a remington 18.5 barrel holds 7..
Old 06-02-2012, 19:09   #17
aippi

As I stated on the new 25077 model I added a Wilson one shot extension and it is now a 7+1. Only benifit to this new mess Remington is putting out there.'

To do this you have to remove the detents at the end of the mag tube and install a magazine cap detent ball in the barrel ring. However, if you can't install or don't want to pay to have the detent ball installed you can use a wave washer to keep the tube extension in place. The weapon will be less then 1/2 longer but you get an extra round in the tube. well worth the work involved.

Attachment 225664

Remington LE Armorer
Mossberg LE Armorer

Last edited by aippi; 09-13-2012 at 19:19..
Old 06-02-2012, 19:44   #18
22highcaps

Up untill moving ate up all my fun money, I was going to get one of these and stick a witness protection style grip on it. The extra length in the mag tube gives it a better "sawed off" look with out actually being in NFA territory.
Illinois Glockers #8
22highcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:32   #19
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
As I stated on the new 25077 model I added a Wilson one shot extension and it is now a 7+1. Only benifit to this new mess Remington is putting out there.'

To do this you have to remove the detents at the end of the mag tube and install a magazine cap detent ball in the barrel ring. However, if you can't install or don't want to pay to have the detent ball installed you can use a wave washer to keep the tube extension in place. The weapon will be less then 1/2 longer but you get an extra round in the tube. well worth the work involved.

Attachment 225664
What makes it a "mess"?

Old 06-03-2012, 14:36   #20
MBG20

is the barrel 18.5 or 18? not what remington says it is but what is actually is..