SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-30-2012, 12:05   #1
catchthis45
T Streetz

Ccw

I already own two glocks: 21C and 23 both gen 3. I am looking to purchase a SC for carry because the 23 prints on me. I am a small guy and wear a t shirt almost every day. I am considering these 3: (gen 3 of course) G27, G29SF, G30SF. I know the 29 will be expensive to feed before I become efficient with it, that's not an issue. I cant find a 29 or 30 to rent or borrow. I have shot a 26 and it shot well. I am somewhat leaning towards the 27, just thought I would get some input from fellow glockers ? thanks
catchthis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:11   #2
BC Dan

The 23 and the 30 (non-SF, I don't have an SF to compare) are roughly the same dimension with the 30 being thicker. If you have problems with the 23 printing, the 30 will be worse.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:21   #3
catchthis45
T Streetz

Thanks

I have held a 30sf, didnt really remember the size compared to my 23, just remember it felt great. I didn't check glocks site to look into dimensions.
catchthis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 13:29   #4
truetopath

I carry a Gen 3 27 everyday and love the way it conceals. It has the punch of a .40 in a perfect little package. I would reccommend a good gun belt and a quality holster to make carrying that much more comfortable. The holster I use is the hideaway from Ritchie holsters. I'm not affiliated with them just a happy customer.
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 13:38   #5
BroncoAZ
Glockalfeliac

If you print with the G23 you will likely still print with the G27, they just aren't that much smaller. If you are using a pinky extension you will be about the same size as carrying the 23. The G29 and G30 are wider, and a little longer in the grip than the 27.

Think smaller: Try a Kahr PM40/CM40 if you are stuck on .40, or try a PM9/CM9 as the 9mm is much nicer to shoot in a gun that small. My PM9 shoots great and carries very well. I carry it OWB in a Garrett Silent Thunder STX holster, a t-shirt completely hides it.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 13:57   #6
L Pete

Think about a G-36
L Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 14:10   #7
Nutt51

I like the G-36 idea, but it would probably print also even
with the single stack and narrower .45 slide.

I would try the G-26, or if you wanted a .40, then a G-27.

I usually carry my G-19, but on occasion do grab the G-26.
The sub-compacts are fine ccw guns and when mine is loaded
with Gold Dots or the like, I feel perfectly protected.
As mentioned earlier, a good holster can make the difference also.

"I figure that a man's only good for one oath at a time. I made mine to the Confederate States Of America".
"John Wayne", "The Searchers".
Nutt51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 14:37   #8
Redheadhunter21

If you already liked the 26 then my suggestion is stay as close to it with the 27, ammo plentiful and great shooting guns
Redheadhunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:21   #9
Chesafreak

Have you been carrying concealed for very long? I used to worry about printing when carrying my G23 until I spent more time carrying it. I was paranoid that someone would spot it until I realized that people who don't carry will never notice it even if I'm printing unless I am wearing a tight t-shirt. There isn't enough difference in the grip size between a G23 and G27 (5.0" vs 4.17") to make much of a difference. If you add a pinky extension to a subcompact they will be about the same length. Going from a compact to sub-compact isn't a big difference. May as well get something smaller/thinner than a Glock if a G23 is too difficult to conceal.

Unless you wear very tight t-shirts, the worry about printing is all in your head. Only fellow CHP's and police will spot it unless you raise your t-shirt or it falls out on the floor. I stopped worrying about it. Its common here in VA to see someone open carrying so why worry about carrying concealed and printing?

Last edited by Chesafreak; 05-30-2012 at 15:24..
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:32   #10
Rustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post
There isn't enough difference in the grip size between a G23 and G27 (5.0" vs 4.17") to make much of a difference. If you add a pinky extension to a subcompact they will be about the same length. Going from a compact to sub-compact isn't a big difference. May as well get something smaller/thinner than a Glock if a G23 is too difficult to conceal.
I disagree. Sure, the pistol retains the 1.20" width but 4/5th's of an inch in height is a big difference. If there wasn't much a difference, Glock wouldn't make them. It's certainly not a true Subcompact by any means, but you'll discover why that is when you shoot it. It shoots like the Full sized Glock's and it is still magazine/parts compatible.

I went from 19 to 26. It's much easier to carry and conceal the 26 although you aren't really giving up firepower.

Last edited by Rustin; 05-30-2012 at 15:32..
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:33   #11
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesafreak View Post
have you been carrying concealed for very long? I used to worry about printing when carrying my g23 until i spent more time carrying it. I was paranoid that someone would spot it until i realized that people who don't carry will never notice it even if i'm printing unless i am wearing a tight t-shirt. There isn't enough difference in the grip size between a g23 and g27 (5.0" vs 4.17") to make much of a difference. If you add a pinky extension to a subcompact they will be about the same length. Going from a compact to sub-compact isn't a big difference. May as well get something smaller/thinner than a glock if a g23 is too difficult to conceal.

Unless you wear very tight t-shirts, the worry about printing is all in your head. Only fellow chp's and police will spot it unless you raise your t-shirt or it falls out on the floor. I stopped worrying about it. Its common here in va to see someone open carrying so why worry about carrying concealed and printing?
+1 sj 40
SJ 40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:41   #12
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

Don't worry about printing. No one, except you are concerned if you print.

I've carried a G35 at 3:00 in a Glock holster, a G20 at 9:00 in a Glock holster, and a G23 in a Glock holster at 5:00 and no one noticed. I did this while wearing Wrangler shorts and a Dickie's short sleeve shirt.

Sheeple are clueless.
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:42   #13
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
If there wasn't much a difference, Glock wouldn't make them. It's certainly not a true Subcompact by any means
If Glock listened to customers in the first place we would have more/better single stack choices than a G36 as well as a Glock carbine.

I tried a G27 in my G23 holsters and it didn't make enough difference in printing for me to justify the purchase. For those times I can't conceal my G23 (business attire) I carry an LC9. I think the difference in printing between a Glock compact and sub-compact is all in a person's head as most people tend to be very self concious when they begin carrying. The difference in dimensions that makes the Glock sub-compacts easier to carry IMO is in the shorter slide length, reduced weight, then finally that 4/5's of an inch.
Old 05-30-2012, 15:45   #14
barth
six barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetopath View Post
I carry a Gen 3 27 everyday and love the way it conceals. It has the punch of a .40 in a perfect little package. I would reccommend a good gun belt and a quality holster to make carrying that much more comfortable. The holster I use is the hideaway from Ritchie holsters. I'm not affiliated with them just a happy customer.
+1 on the G27.
It carries and conceals on a belt very well.
Plus you can run 9mm or 357 with a barrel and mag change.
barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:48   #15
Rancho_Nirvana
X 1911 Addict

For God sakes gain some extra weight like the rest of us, and then you can carry the G23... ;-)
21 Club #1642

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Rancho_Nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 15:50   #16
Chesafreak

Since the OP's main concern seems to be printing, I suggest he go to his LGS and try a G27 in his holster and take a picture to compare with a pic of him carrying a G23 and see how much of a difference it makes. I'm sure it will make some difference, but not much. That's what I did and there wasn't enough difference in the pictures to justify me spending on another Glock just for the sake of reducing printing. Glocks will always print to some extent. Thats why the Kahr's, LC9/LCP's, and Sheilds are selling like hotcakes.

Last edited by Chesafreak; 05-30-2012 at 15:54..
Old 05-30-2012, 16:23   #17
Bruce M

It is perhaps too simple an answer (and I know you suggested being unable to find rentals) but whichever you shoot best is probably the best choice.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 05-30-2012 at 16:23..
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 16:53   #18
HenryinFlorida

I have found that the holster cant makes all the difference in the world when it comes to printing. I am a big guy, and have the same problem with printing but for the opposite reason. I have found that carrying IWB at 4 o'clock with an FBI canted holster makes a difference. I am carrying a Kahr CW45 now, and it's well hidden underneath my Tee Shirt. By the way, PJ holsters makes a nice simple thin Kydex holster that conceals great, plus their affordable.
HenryinFlorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 17:22   #19
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryinFlorida View Post
I I have found that carrying IWB at 4 o'clock with an FBI canted holster makes a difference.
That's exactly how I hide my G23 after a lot of experimenting with placement and cant.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
Old 05-30-2012, 17:59   #20
gdiddy

Bronco AZ has it right. Think smaller! The Kahr CM/PM series is an answer to your problem. You might even get away with the Kahr P or CW series which are slightly larger with single stack magazines which keeps them slim and easy to conceal. The P and CW pistols are available in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45ACP. For light weight clothing these guns are an excellent choice for concealed carry. I had a similar problem because I am usually in short and T-shirt here in Florida. I carry a Kahr daily without concern of printing.

Last edited by gdiddy; 05-30-2012 at 18:02..
gdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote