Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-29-2012, 22:28   #1
jkf74

Choosing a New Powder for .40

I have been loading 180gr Berry's RN plated for my Glock 23. I have loaded and shot several hundred. My loads have ranged from 4.9gr of Unique to 5.8gr. All my loads have shot fine. But Unique leaks through my powder measure and at the end of a reloading session I have powder all over my bench. All I want to load is as light as I can and still work the slide, and meter well. Im not worried about max loads at all. I am just a plinker. What powder would be a good replacement for Unique. I will also be switching to 165gr fmj bullets if that makes a difference.

Goals:
Meter Well
Work well for light loads
jkf74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 22:46   #2
XDRoX

If Unique leaks through your measure anything anybody suggests will probably leak even worse.

Why does you measure leak?
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 22:47   #3
Steve Koski
Got Insurance?

WST is my suggestion. Run 3.6-3.8 grains under your 180 grainers.
Old 05-29-2012, 22:47   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Welcome to GT and GT Reloading.

I don't reload .40, but it sounds like you're describing WST.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 22:48   #5
XDRoX

WST was going to be my suggestion too. But if Unique is leaking then WST will leak worse.
XDRoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 23:30   #6
jkf74

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDRoX View Post
If Unique leaks through your measure anything anybody suggests will probably leak even worse.

Why does you measure leak?
I'm really not sure why it leaks. It is the Lee auto disk measure. It is on plenty tight. I have not pinpointed exactly where it is coming from. I'm going to load with the rest of my Unique in the next day or two.
jkf74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 23:59   #7
WeeWilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkf74 View Post
I'm really not sure why it leaks. It is the Lee auto disk measure. It is on plenty tight. I have not pinpointed exactly where it is coming from. I'm going to load with the rest of my Unique in the next day or two.
Sounds like you have the regular AD (rectangle hopper). If you get a Pro Auto Disk upgrade kit your leaking days will likely be over. The pro comes with an elastomer seal between the disks and the hopper, works pretty good.

You can make the regular hopper leak much less, definitely stop a powder like Unique from leaking. Take the hopper off and with some fine sandpaper on a flat surface, run the edges of the hopper that sit on the stand across the sand paper. Sand it down enough to close the gap between the hopper and the disks. Go slow as if you take a little too much off the disks will drag. Do it on a flat surface to keep the edges of the hopper flat. This should cut most powder leaking to almost nothing. Powders like AA#7, AA#9 will likely still leak a little with this fix, but Unique, WST, Bullseye, etc. won't.

But the AD Pro upgrade is the real solution. The upgrade kit is like $25. It also comes with an adjustable charge bar so you can venture between disk cavity sizes for that special load.

In the off chance you do have the AD Pro, yours is a little out of spec. Basically you will want to do the same thing that I described above, take the screws out of the hopper (a pain because they are long) and then sand the edges lightly on a flat surface (the edge that the screws go through). You can sand the little ledge off the bottom of both edges and that will be plenty to move the hopper and seal down closer to the disks to seal even the finest powders.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 05-30-2012 at 00:11..
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:38   #8
Bello
America/Italia

Post a pic how the hell does it leak? If your using the crappy lee hopper with the manual handle then yes I understand that's a pos
Old 05-30-2012, 04:40   #9
Bello
America/Italia

ps I use WSF thanks to Fred a few years back!
Old 05-30-2012, 08:50   #10
freakshow10mm
10mm Advocate

I use WSF, but for lighter loads WST is a better choice. As soon as I read your OP, I figured you were using a Lee powder measure. The others are correct in that the Auto Disk Pro is the better measure and will give you a lot less (or eliminate completely) the powder leaking problem you have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
freakshow10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:03   #11
SJ 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakshow10mm View Post
I use WSF, but for lighter loads WST is a better choice. As soon as I read your OP, I figured you were using a Lee powder measure. The others are correct in that the Auto Disk Pro is the better measure and will give you a lot less (or eliminate completely) the powder leaking problem you have.
What Freakshow said,I have zero powder leakage in my two Pro Auto Disks. SJ 40
SJ 40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16   #12
scccdoc

I use a Dillon "Square Deal" so I'm not sure I can help. I load 165 FMJ for plinking also.I use Hodgdon HP-38 and get consistent results. Not familiar with WST......... DOC
scccdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 22:14   #13
OrGlocker

WSF is a very good powder for the forty, but I'm sure Fred will be around here on this OP and he will recommend his favorite powder of all time "TIGHTGROUP". LOL Fred
OrGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 04:59   #14
Rinconjoe

Send a message via Yahoo to Rinconjoe
WST be my choice
Old 05-31-2012, 06:16   #15
Jim Watson

WST is good for light loads but when you get down into the "as light as I can and still work the slide" powderpuff loads, any of the Ball powders will get pretty erratic.

I get more uniform low velocity with any of several flake powders, 700X, Solo 1000, Clays, and yes, dirty old Bullseye. Of those, Bullseye meters the most precisely in my Dillon. So I have to clean the gun every once in a while, so what?

No doubt N310 would work well but it is uncommon in stores and expensive when you find it.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:47   #16
chaplain 31

I shoot 40 a lot. I've tried fast powders like 700x and Tightgroup and they work okay. However, for me, I have found that a slightly slower powder does a better job with 40 lite to medium rounds. I prefer HP-38/W231 for those and HS-6 for full power.
chaplain 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:05   #17
CaptainXL

I also had powder leakage with the "standard" rectangular Lee Auto Disk. I bought the Pro Upgrade kit for the Lee Auto Disk and no longer have a leakage problem. The upgrade kit was $20 very well spent.

In addition to stopping powder leakage you get an adjustable powder measure so you can dial in your powder weight to the exact weight that you want.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/155...ure-update-kit
Old 06-01-2012, 19:00   #18
SonnyCrockett

6.0G of Power Pistol......my main 40SW load
Clean and pretty dang accurate for me
SonnyCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 21:35   #19
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

I load about 10,000 .40S&W loads a year and for plinking loads I use Universal.
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 23:03   #20
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrGlocker View Post
WSF is a very good powder for the forty, but I'm sure Fred will be around here on this OP and he will recommend his favorite powder of all time "TIGHTGROUP". LOL Fred
As freak & bello notes, I do like WSF in the 40 for midrange to full power loads, any bullet wt. Unique is also right there, but WSF meters a bit better & a bit cleaner. Both shoot in my very finicky 4006 better than anything else.
I wouldn't soil my best guns w/ TG.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 06-04-2012 at 23:06..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote