Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 01:53   #1
LongGun1
StraightShooter

BOB (Bug-Out-Bike) Project

Bike as in motorcycle

I have a ongoing project to turn the V-Strom into a BOB..(Bug-Out-Bike)

..either with or without the clip-on luggage!

One set of essentials inside the luggage..

..& smaller lightweight backups that duplicate the function of other 'essentials'..

..secured under the seat & side panels to stay with the bike... sans luggage.

Besides all the other gear acquired previously for the project...(tools, electrical/electronic spares, etc)

..in the last week bought for the bike luggage..

..an (200 gal capacity) Katadyn Base Camp Drip Filter...2 gallon waterbag with carry handle...(already have sealed glass vial of calcium hypochlorite/pool shock)

..3 ea 10 oz bags of Bob's Red Mill TVP...2 bowls of spicy ramen chicken noodles.. (already have MREs & accessory packs...parachute cord, etc)

..outdoor sleeping pad (to go with the lightweight GI sleeping bag already in the stuff sack)..

..copper bottomed stainless steel hiking cookset...4 person Coleman Camping Utensel Set..

Looking at a spare MSR Dragonfly Stove/fuel bottles & an spare ceramic element for the Katadyn Base Camp for the project soon

For the bike...(1,000 liter) LifeStraw http://www.vestergaard-frandsen.com/lifestraw .....

..6 Whirl-pak standup sealable water bags...Katadyn Micropur MP1 Tablets...

.. Bleuet (Esbit type) 2 Position Pocket Stove with 6 fuel cubes stored inside (+ 12 more)..

...ESBIT Titanium Folding Pocket Stove ...copper (Esbit-type) Ultralight Pocket Stove (+ 12 Solid Fuel tabs)...

..2 collapsible stainless steel cups...2 ea folding utensil sets..

..2 Datrex 3,600 calorie emergency rations...a 10 oz bag TVP...2 bowls of spicy ramen chicken noodles..GSI Outdoors Spice Missile..

(to go with items I have now...like hot cocoa mix, instant coffee, creme, sugar, salt, all spice, Tabasco, TP, etc)

..Gerber Basic Survival Kit....Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pack w/ Quikclot...AMK 2-person Bivy Bag..

(small medical kit, butane lighter, Swedish fire steel knife & cubes, leatherman wave, deluxe pocket survival kit with "stren-in-a-straw & mag-in-a-straw"...already in bike)

Any other suggestions??

"Accuracy first, Speed second.....Speed first, Accuracy never"

Last edited by LongGun1; 06-05-2012 at 16:12..
Old 05-27-2012, 05:09   #2
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

trailer
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10   #3
Dexters

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post

Any other suggestions??
Tarp - camo? - for shelter and to hide/protect bike while sleeping.

Bug spray

Last edited by Dexters; 05-27-2012 at 07:11..
Old 05-27-2012, 07:49   #4
DustyJacket
Gold Membership
Directiv 10-289

Personally, I would go with a dual-sport to allow riding on unimproved roads ( i.e. dirt and gravel and crap) to avoid the main roads
Old 05-27-2012, 13:41   #5
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

A reality check?

You've got so much redundant stuff on there you're going to need a trailer.

6 sets of utensils, really? A spoon and a couple sets of bamboo chopsticks are all you need and weigh nothing.

Multiple cook sets? A small fry pan and a 1L stainless mug are all I usually take camping. The stove and a bunch of other things fit in the mug. Collapsible ones will leak, they're tough to cook in, and don't save any space. I do, however, want to try one of the collapsible silicon cups. Those look pretty nifty.

Multiple stoves? Waste of space. One multifuel stove like the Whisperlite Internationale will run off of anything. Why carry extra fuel when you have 5 gallons in your tank? Maybe a beer can alcohol stove also since you can run it off of Everclear, a good multipurpose liquid. Fuel, antiseptic, beverage all in one.

And last, but MOST important, a plan. Where are you going? What are you going to do once you get there? Thinking you're going to just "bug out" and figure out where you're going once you're on the road isn't going to cut it.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Old 05-27-2012, 16:05   #6
Happypuppy

I added a couple extra fuel containers to the back of the panniers. Addition LED lighting on the forks to see the road and allows increased visibility. A comm system is nice too

Sent from my 300 baud modem
Old 05-27-2012, 17:17   #7
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
Personally, I would go with a dual-sport to allow riding on unimproved roads ( i.e. dirt and gravel and crap) to avoid the main roads
The V-Strom is a dual sport.

Old 05-27-2012, 18:15   #8
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushflyr View Post
A reality check?

You've got so much redundant stuff on there you're going to need a trailer. .
Actually no...

..the bike has enough space for the resident gear..

..& the luggage & top case has enough space for the main gear..

..as well as clothes, rain gear, spare helmet, toiletries, etc

Quote:
6 sets of utensils, really? A spoon and a couple sets of bamboo chopsticks are all you need and weigh nothing..
The Coleman set is fairly compact..

..and the rest even more so.

As far as chopsticks....umm no...

..last thing I want to do after a long days ride is fight with my food!

Quote:
Multiple cook sets? A small fry pan and a 1L stainless mug are all I usually take camping. The stove and a bunch of other things fit in the mug. Collapsible ones will leak, they're tough to cook in, and don't save any space. I do, however, want to try one of the collapsible silicon cups. Those look pretty nifty..

Esbit stoves are very lightweight & compact..

(5.5 oz for the copper....4/10 oz for the Titanium)

..but they are slow cookers..

..and when cooking a meal I like everything to be ready at the same time...

Quote:
Multiple stoves? Waste of space. One multifuel stove like the Whisperlite Internationale will run off of anything. Why carry extra fuel when you have 5 gallons in your tank? Maybe a beer can alcohol stove also since you can run it off of Everclear, a good multipurpose liquid. Fuel, antiseptic, beverage all in one..
Actually, I really like my (multi-fuel) MSR Dragonfly so much I would like a spare with the main bike gear. The unit I have now with my camping gear is nested in with my cooking set....likely will do the same with this setup

As far as extra fuel...last thing I want to do every time I want to cook a meal is drain or siphon fuel over a hot engine after a days ride...not smart!

On the other hand..

The MSR fuel bottles do give me an emergency reserve just in case my normal fuel stops are closed..

..as well as allow me to assist with other bikes that have run short.

I have carried a full MSR bottle in my bike luggage for that purpose for a couple of years now.

I do keep a Simple Siphon & hose on the bike for emergencies also.

Quote:
And last, but MOST important, a plan. Where are you going? What are you going to do once you get there? Thinking you're going to just "bug out" and figure out where you're going once you're on the road isn't going to cut it.

Really guy.....this is not my 1st rodeo!

If I ever were to "Bug-Out"...and not going to my prepared properties..or properties of prepared family...or properties of prepared friends...

I have been exploring property in very remote areas of North Arkansas since the 1990's. I know of plenty of interesting property accessible with the bike that is not accessible with a 4wd truck & caves likely not used since Native Americans occupied them.

That being said...the items are more likely to be used for impromptu campout with friends, or if I ever get stranded for a time in a remote area for whatever reason (crash, badly damaged tire, etc) and GBH use..

..than a gotta-get-outta-town-right-now bugout!

But it is nice to have a 30 second snap-on & go capability...

Basically I am looking for constructive comment on items I may have overlooked.

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-27-2012 at 18:19..
Old 05-27-2012, 18:17   #9
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyJacket View Post
trailer

I have considered one of the small tow-along campers..

..but it doesn't really fit my fairly brisk riding style.

But there are times that one would be really handy.

If I find an area I would like to ride extensively or explore..

..I tend to get a cheapie motel room..

..& drop the luggage there..

The bike is then more lightweight & narrower for the tight trails..

..and the twisties are much more fun sans luggage!

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-27-2012 at 18:59..
Old 05-27-2012, 18:24   #10
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
I added a couple extra fuel containers to the back of the panniers. Addition LED lighting on the forks to see the road and allows increased visibility. A comm system is nice too

Thanks!

I added LED turn signals (front & rear), twin LED spinners (tail lights) & really bright twin 90/100 watt HID-like bulbs (headlights) right after I bought the bike. Comm systems also for myself, passenger & spares for other riders in a group ride.

Old 05-27-2012, 18:52   #11
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexters View Post
Tarp - camo? - for shelter and to hide/protect bike while sleeping.

Bug spray
Thanks!

I have a bike cover already in the luggage..

..& the mat is large enough to 'dual purpose'..

..as both a ground pad..

.. & lean-to or pup tent.

And I have some DEET bug gunk under the bike seat already.

Last edited by LongGun1; 05-27-2012 at 18:54..
Old 05-27-2012, 21:05   #12
Myke_Hart
Handloader

If you havent purchased the stove yet I would research the Trangia alchohol stoves.
http://www.osograndeknives.com/store...detail&p=18043

They use denatured alchohol and can boil 2 cups of water in 6 minutes. They are the smallest, cheapest, and tne most reliable stoves you can get and the fuel is everywhere.

Else I would recommend a multi-fuel stove that can use gasoline from your bike. Like a single burner coleman. These are larger and space can be a problem.

I do not recommend the butane/propane stoves because finding the small fuel bottles can be difficult and takes up massive room in your pack.

Got Guns? Does she know about it?

Last edited by Myke_Hart; 05-27-2012 at 21:06..
Old 05-28-2012, 07:56   #13
sebecman

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongGun1 View Post
As far as extra fuel...last thing I want to do every time I want to cook a meal is drain or siphon fuel over a hot engine after a days ride.
I have a vietnam issue mil - Coleman Tanker stove and LOVE IT.

As many others have already said, I would go with a gasoline burning stove. The fuel is everwhere and As to your worries of siphoning gas over a hot engine...

I would have a bladder or 1L bottle to store the gas in but if you have to siphon directly to your stove just do it in the morning or after the bike has cooled...

But really...gas needs a RED HOT manifold to ignite with out a spark and I doubt even you are going to get it red hot...

if you have been driving that hard cooking probably isn't high on the list of priorities anyway!
Old 05-28-2012, 16:03   #14
FireForged
Millenium #3936

If it were me, bug out on a bike would be "high speed' low drag". I would ditch more than half that stuff and work on a tier system to carry real essentials on me at all times with the bike acting as a mule to store re-stock.

note: We all have our idea of what bug out is or isnt... to me, its about leaving a danger zone where I can absolutely no longer remain and getting to a safer place asap. IMO, cook sets, gas stoves, pots, pans and the like are for camping or touring in a RV not bug out. Why not go light and use canteen-cup and cup stove (which isnt anything more than a platform for a steel cup which you can place tinder/coals underneath.) It all will fit in a canteen cover with a canteen and weighs basically nothing.

Last edited by FireForged; 06-13-2012 at 10:15..
Old 05-28-2012, 20:42   #15
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireForged View Post
If it were me, bug out on a bike would be "high speed' low drag". I would ditch more than half that stuff and work on a tier system to carry real essentials on me at all times with the bike acting as a mule to store re-stock.

note: We all have our idea of what bug out is or isnt... to me, its about leaving a danger zone where I can absolutely no longer remain and getting to a safer place asap. IMO, cook sets, gas stoves, pots, pans and the like are for camping or touring in a RV not bug out. Why not go light and use canteen-cup and cup stove (which isnt anything more than a platform for a steel cup which you can place tinder/coals underneath.) It all will fit in a canteen cover with a canteen and weighs basically nothing.
The luggage with the majority of heavy gear can be either off or on the bike in seconds. Also the luggage has a low center of gravity...important on a bike.

With or without the luggage...I can cover distance fairly quickly..

..it just takes a higher level of skill & energy to do so with the luggage when maneuvering quickly.

The tires heat up more quickly when the bike is loaded out, but the tires (Michelin Pilot Road 3) I am using now are for "loaded touring" & well inside the load capacity..

..and getting ready to go with a set of the new Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail ...specifically made for loaded Dual Sport/Adventure Touring use & V-rated (149 mph).

Also adding a TPMS (

) when I go to the Road 3 Trail that displays Temperature & Pressure for both tires..

The "human sustenance gear" I am currently toting or proposing is not really heavy..

..the tools & spare parts are.

As far as having the gear on me..

..I have worn a pack while traveling..

..but that both raises my center of gravity..

..and increases the chance of injury should I suddenly have to bail for any reason.

So...other than a Camelbak, PPE & personal weapons...I really do not like gear on my body when traveling.

For those reasons & others..I would like gear lower & on the bike or in the luggage.

Also...gear on me is advertising..

..not something I would want to in a bug-out.

But again...this project is multi-faceted (BOB, GBH & everyday use...including emergencies while out in remote rural areas)....with bug-out being dead last.

Bug-Out-Bike sounded better than Get-Bike-Home

And keep in mind, I ride a lot.. from almost daily commuting to multi-state trips each month..

..basically looking for any items I may have missed for my project..

..not really looking to change my project near the finish line.

Old 05-28-2012, 20:58   #16
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myke_Hart View Post
If you havent purchased the stove yet I would research the Trangia alchohol stoves.
http://www.osograndeknives.com/store...detail&p=18043

They use denatured alchohol and can boil 2 cups of water in 6 minutes. They are the smallest, cheapest, and tne most reliable stoves you can get and the fuel is everywhere.

Else I would recommend a multi-fuel stove that can use gasoline from your bike. Like a single burner coleman. These are larger and space can be a problem.

I do not recommend the butane/propane stoves because finding the small fuel bottles can be difficult and takes up massive room in your pack.
I have looked at the alcohol stoves..

..but not really wanting to carry another liquid fuel besides gasoline.

Old 05-28-2012, 21:05   #17
Happypuppy

I am on my 2nd DL BTW, and to toughen it up I replaced the cast rear brake pedal with forged and went With the vstroma shifter that folds. I am using a Bigfoot kickstand base due to the extra wieght. The ssupension I went to 0.95 front forks with 10 wt oil. The rear is a elka shock with a stiffer spring as well. The ride under load is great. panniers are H&P. I went with impact plastics as they are tougher. I had a set of aluminum that when bent would not close, and the wieght saving as sweet. Look for tool tubes on eBay. They are great for tire repair kits, tools or whatever. I have 3 in place. Coming up are brake lines to SS and a better rectifier as they are a weak spot.

I am using 2 of the new LI-Ion batteries one to run the bike and another as an added power source at less than 3 pounds they are sweet. Ride-on in the tires is great.

To answer some why a bike? My humble thoughts. Maneuverable and can act as a great scout vehicle , handle bad roads and with a comm system can
" Lead the pack "

Old 05-28-2012, 21:22   #18
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypuppy View Post
I am on my 2nd DL BTW, and to toughen it up I replaced the cast rear brake pedal with forged and went With the vstroma shifter that folds. I am using a Bigfoot kickstand base due to the extra wieght. The ssupension I went to 0.95 front forks with 10 wt oil. The rear is a elka shock with a stiffer spring as well. The ride under load is great. panniers are H&P. I went with impact plastics as they are tougher. I had a set of aluminum that when bent would not close, and the wieght saving as sweet. Look for tool tubes on eBay. They are great for tire repair kits, tools or whatever. I have 3 in place. Coming up are brake lines to SS and a better rectifier as they are a weak spot.

I am using 2 of the new LI-Ion batteries one to run the bike and another as an added power source at less than 3 pounds they are sweet. Ride-on in the tires is great.

To answer some why a bike? My humble thoughts. Maneuverable and can act as a great scout vehicle , handle bad roads and with a comm system can
" Lead the pack "

Great Post!

DL650 or 1K?

BTW..I am running GIVI on the luggage & a deluxe Coocase for the topcase.

Also...I looked at tool tubes when I 1st bought the bike..

..they all seemed too big..

..but I might be able to squeeze in a few nanotubes.

Thanks again!

Old 05-30-2012, 07:56   #19
BR549
Thread Killer

After reading this thread and viewing the video, I recommend some track time and multiple forms of weight reduction.

Another idea is to buy yourself a bike that is more capable offroad. I'm not knocking your bike; but riding an enduro, cross-country, or motocross bike will help you learn to handle that thing better on the "clean" trails where you'll use that bike.

Last edited by BR549; 05-30-2012 at 07:58..
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36   #20
LongGun1
StraightShooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR549 View Post
After reading this thread and viewing the video, I recommend some track time and multiple forms of weight reduction.

Another idea is to buy yourself a bike that is more capable offroad. I'm not knocking your bike; but riding an enduro, cross-country, or motocross bike will help you learn to handle that thing better on the "clean" trails where you'll use that bike.

Ridden enduros & motocross when I was younger..

..but the majority of my riding now is commuting & multi-state highway..

..with trails & unpaved roads once I am in the mountains.

Though big & heavy, his bike is a good fit for that purpose.

As far as the video, I like riding fast & having fun..

..but I keep in mind I am on a big, heavy, dual sport bike riding alone with spotty cell service. The little 19 mile rural road I was riding claimed the lives of 4 riders in a years time..

..many more air-lifted to a hospital with serious injuries.

I don't do the apex dives, 2 wheel drift out of corners & the like anymore..

..as I do not really want to be on a 1st name basis as a patient of an orthopedic surgeon ever again!

Closed Thread