Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-26-2012, 00:35   #1
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Look over my initial purchase plan please??

1)
Lee Classic Turret kit from Kempf. $241.25 shipped
Contents:
Lee Classic Turret Press
Lee Deluxe 4-Die Set for .38/.357
Lee Auto Disk Powder Measure
Lee Safety Prime System (Large AND Small)
Lee Auto Disk Riser (Required for the Safety Prime System)
Six MTM 50 round Plastic Ammo Boxes
Add Pro Auto Disk Powder Measure upgrade
https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?...mart&Itemid=41

2)
Dillon Eliminator. $81.94 shipped
http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con.../25215/catid/7

3)
Lee case conditioning kit. $9.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/618...nditioning-kit

Speer reloading manual #14. $25.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/537...ding-manual-14

Frankford Arsenol 6" electronic caliper. $22.49
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/604...tainless-steel

Lymon shooter's check weight set. $26.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/212...ight-check-set

$97.79 shipped for the above four items (all from Midway)

Total: $420.98

Questions:
Am I missing/overlooking anything, no matter how small? I figure to add things like a bullet puller and brass tumbler, as well as dies for other calibers, later. Is it logical to save $ on the shooter's check weight set (max 60.5 grains), vs a more complete set for heavier weights, since I am probably not currently worried about the precise weight of anything other than the powder? (reloading, now, for practice using purchased bullets)

Is there a better way to get all of the above items (or as good/better, but same price range) for less by not having to split the shipping up across 3 different sites? Keep in mind I'll probably order some poweder from Midway so figure on ordering from them one way or the other. Also, I decided I am not interested in using the Lee powder scale that comes with Midway's kit.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:24   #2
WeeWilly

Looks pretty good to me.

I would suggest either getting the Lee Auro Disk Pro as a substitute or if the kit doesn't allow it, add the AD Pro update kit. The Pro has an elastomer seal that will eliminate leakage and improve accuracy. The Pro also has an off position for the hopper so you can change disk sizes without emptying the hopper.

If you go with the update kit, it is not a bad deal as you get the adjustable charge bar in the kit allowing for charges in between disk cavity sizes.

I would also order some extra decap pins for your sizing die and a spare small and large primer arm. These will stick when your ram gets dirty from decapping, then fall out when you raise the ram. For some reason if your floor is hard the arm will land and break right at the piece that holds it in the ram rendering it useless. Good to have a spare, they are cheap.

Hope that helps.
WeeWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:21   #3
ColoCG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
1)
Contents:
Lee Classic Turret Press

2)

3)

Questions:
Am I missing/overlooking anything, no matter how small? I figure to add things like a bullet puller and brass tumbler, as well as dies for other calibers, later. Is it logical to save $ on the shooter's check weight set (max 60.5 grains), vs a more complete set for heavier weights, since I am probably not currently worried about the precise weight of anything other than the powder? (reloading, now, for practice using purchased bullets)

Is there a better way to get all of the above items (or as good/better, but same price range) for less by not having to split the shipping up across 3 different sites? Keep in mind I'll probably order some poweder from Midway so figure on ordering from them one way or the other. Also, I decided I am not interested in using the Lee powder scale that comes with Midway's kit.
If your not planning on reloading rifle cartridges now you could do without the Lee Case Conditioning kit.

The Lyman check weight set to 60.5gr. will be fine.

If you have a Harbor Freight store near you, you could pick up a set of electric calipers there a lot cheaper.

You can always use additional reloading manuals.

+1 on the Pro auto disk.

Other wise looks good.

Last edited by ColoCG; 05-26-2012 at 10:31..
ColoCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:26   #4
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

How about a 3-ring binder for your load data and a set of multi-colored sharpie markers for marking your brass when you go work up loads / test stuff (e.g. 7 each 12.0 grains - red, 7 each 12.2 grains - green, 7 each 12.4 grains - blue and so forth).

By the way, I've seen excellent electronic calipers, but not the cheapies (think $150 or more). The Frankford digital caliper is particularly junky IMHO. I'd go with a decent quality dial caliper from the start... Lyman sells a fairly good one that will last.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 09:52   #5
WeeWilly

BTW, there is a guy that sells Lee stuff pretty inexpensively (or at least did). The company is called Factory Sales. When I had my Lee Classic Turret I boiught some stuff from him.

https://fsreloading.com/classic-turr...kit-90304.html

I noticed that his Classic Turret Kit comes with the AD Pro powder drop, so your kit from Kempf may as well.

Last edited by WeeWilly; 05-26-2012 at 09:53..
Old 05-26-2012, 10:00   #6
MudFlap379

I'd suggest going ahead and getting the bullet puller now.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:10   #7
Colorado4Wheel

Pretty sure the kit he picked has the pro upgrade.
Skip the Case conditioner for normal handgun stuff. Plus those tools are not that great anyway.
Harbour Freight has the same calipers for less usually.
I would add a bullet puller and a Lyman tumbler. Not the midway one.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:20   #8
WiskyT
Malcontent

Skip the case conditioning kit for now. If money is tight, you can get older versions of load manuals like Speer 13 that are just as good on fleabay etc for less.

This scale is cheaper and should be just as good and could save you some shipping by tacking it onto your MidwayUsa order

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/605...grain-capacity

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:22   #9
WiskyT
Malcontent

Skip the tumbler, there is no advantage to shiny brass and it will give your family something to buy you for Christmas if you decide to get one. I've been reloading for a long time and almost never tumble brass. Every once in a while I do it see what all the fuss is about and have never figured it out.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:23   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I removed the case conditioning kit and the check weights. I think I got stuck on the check weights when trying to convince myself to get an electronic scale, but that just wasn't happening.

Yes, the kit comes with the auto disk pro upgrade. (well, it's $12.95 to add that upgrade, which I would definitely do)

I nixed the caliper and added the Lyman dial that is of similar pricing.

I ordered the Dillon Eliminator last night. Nothing else has been purchased yet.

Sharpies and notebook, yes.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-26-2012, 11:32   #11
IndyGunFreak
KO Windows

Send a message via ICQ to IndyGunFreak Send a message via AIM to IndyGunFreak Send a message via MSN to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Yahoo to IndyGunFreak Send a message via Skype™ to IndyGunFreak

Quote:
1)
Contents:
Lee Classic Turret Press

2)

3)

Questions:

First, to me, your list looks fine (it looks like you have the Auto Disk Pro which as said above, is good)... Only thing in your list, I prefer the Lyman 49th to the Speer 14. If you really want to get cheap, spend an afternoon at your local library. I'd be willing to guess the Lyman 49th (and maybe even the Speer 14) is on the shelf at any large library in Atlanta area. Take 4-5 bucks and make some copies of the pages you need. You can also cross check any data with Online sources (powder manufacturer websites, here and other places.)

You might be able to save some money on shipping, by dumping everything at Midway, and ordering it from Dillon (Dillon sells the manuals, check weights, etc. at pretty similar costs).

As C4W said, get your calipers at Harbor Freight.

Also, regarding powder. Since you're new and you're gonna get hammered on the hazmat shipping.... I'd recommend doing some research on loads, powder types you want, etc.. and get some 1lb cans at Dicks, Gander Mountain, Cabelas, etc. You'll pay a bit more up front.. but if you order a huge 8lb thing of powder to offset the hazmat charge ($25), then you don't like that powder for some reason... You're going to have 7.5lbs of fertilizer. You can usually find a reasonably priced Lyman tumbler at Gander Mountain (the one here always has them). Once you've experimented with the 1lb cans and found something you like... Order online (somewhere other than Midway) an 8lb can online, and throw some Primers on as well to stretch the hazmat.

Sorry, that was way longer than I initially intended... hope it all made sense.
"Man is not free unless Government is limited"

Last edited by IndyGunFreak; 05-26-2012 at 11:33..
IndyGunFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:39   #12
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My local gun shop has 1 lb canisters of powder for about $22. We don't have a Cabelas and I don't think we have a Gander Mountain, either. We do have a Bass Pro Shop.

I haven't fully delved into the powders yet, just some cursory looking around. However, it sounds like I could get some Unique and surely put it to good use for something. I would like to end up reloading 9x19, .38spl, .357 mag, .45ACP and .30-06, among the calibers I currently own. I also might get a .45 GAP again, or another 10mm (sold my first...ammo expensive)

Last edited by Warp; 05-26-2012 at 11:44..
Old 05-26-2012, 11:45   #13
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
My local gun shop has 1 lb canisters of powder for about $22. We don't have a Cabelas and I don't think we have a Gander Mountain, either. We do have a Bass Pro Shop
I would take a $22.00 pound of powder locally over shipping it in from Midway as they are a beotch on shipping. Their powder is drop shipped seperately from other items and incurs further shipping costs on top of the hazmat.

$22.00 actually isn't bad, but some brands are cheaper than others. Alliant typically is cheaper by a few bucks than Hodgdon and a good deal would be if you could get a # of Unique for say $16.00. Since you probably won't get a deal that good, $22.00 aint bad either. Powder goes a long way, so a couple bucks for a pound isn't critical.

Primers are going to be what burries you as everyone thinks they are made of magic fairy powder. If you can find them for $25.00/1000 locally, buy 5K of them. BassPro isn't bad in powder prices for being a retail store, but they will leave you walking funny if you buy your primers their.

Old 05-26-2012, 11:56   #14
WeeWilly

Quote:
..I ordered the Dillon Eliminator last night..
Excellent choice. I have an RCBS 1010 that cost twice as much and is the same accuracy as my friend's Dillon Eliminator. Ohaus makes them all anyway.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:04   #15
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Quote:
My local gun shop has 1 lb canisters of powder for about $22. We don't have a Cabelas and I don't think we have a Gander Mountain, either. We do have a Bass Pro Shop.

I haven't fully delved into the powders yet, just some cursory looking around. However, it sounds like I could get some Unique and surely put it to good use for something. I would like to end up reloading 9x19, .38spl, .357 mag, .45ACP and .30-06, among the calibers I currently own. I also might get a .45 GAP again, or another 10mm (sold my first...ammo expensive)
2400 for full power magnums, IMR 4350 for .30-06 (mid weight and heavy bullets)... Unique for everything else, including mid-range .357 mag.

Unique isn't the best metering powder, but I'd argue it's the most versatile pistol powder of all time. Works best for full power loads, dirty on the low end (like most mid to slow burning powders). If you want light mousefart / gamer loads, look at WST.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:10   #16
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Steve View Post
2400 for full power magnums, IMR 4350 for .30-06 (mid weight and heavy bullets)... Unique for everything else, including mid-range .357 mag.

Unique isn't the best metering powder, but I'd argue it's the most versatile pistol powder of all time. Works best for full power loads, dirty on the low end (like most mid to slow burning powders). If you want light mousefart / gamer loads, look at WST.
That is exactly what I was thinking it would be. (other than the -06 powder, hadn't looked into rifle stuff at all yet)

I contemplate getting an 8 lber of Unique, depending on how different sources price out.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:14   #17
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
That is exactly what I was thinking it would be. (other than the -06 powder, hadn't looked into rifle stuff at all yet)

I contemplate getting an 8 lber of Unique, depending on how different sources price out.
You won't go wrong with Unique and it meters very well in the Lee Autodisk.

Old 05-26-2012, 12:15   #18
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

You might find something better for this application or that, but you'll always have a use for Unique in my opinion. I load mid range .44 mag and .357 mag, .45 auto, .38 special, .44 special, .45 Colt and 9mm with it.

As for .30-06, I'll put out one caveat to my previous statement about 4350... if you're shooting a Garand, it burns too slow for the gas system and batters the op rod. For the Garand (and an M14), I'd say H4895 or IMR 4895.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:31   #19
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
If you want light mousefart / gamer loads, look at WST.
That's a negative. My interest is functional/defensive training purposes. I don't game, and if I did it would be with loads at least close to the ballpark of actual defensive usability.

Last edited by Warp; 05-26-2012 at 12:34..
Old 05-26-2012, 12:35   #20
ColoCG

Quote:
You might find something better for this application or that, but you'll always have a use for Unique in my opinion. I load mid range .44 mag and .357 mag, .45 auto, .38 special, .44 special, .45 Colt and 9mm with it.

As for .30-06, I'll put out one caveat to my previous statement about 4350... if you're shooting a Garand, it burns too slow for the gas system and batters the op rod. For the Garand (and an M14), I'd say H4895 or IMR 4895.
^^^ What he just said I agree. Plus you can also use Unique with good results in .380acp and .40S&W.