Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-22-2012, 21:28   #1
tag_heuer

RUGER LCP v. SIG P238

Im flip floppin between the Ruger LCP and the Sig P238. I was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience between the two. Im looking to carry it as a back up weapon. Pro v. Cons any info would help in the decision.
tag_heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 21:33   #2
Clusterfrack

I shot an LCP and bought the p238. The LCP is fine for what it is, but I vastly prefer the 238. I can make good hits at 25 yards, and have clocked a 3.03s all A zone Bill Drill from concealment. I even took 3rd place at a bowling pin shoot with it just for kicks.

The LCP is smaller but sacrifices too much accuracy and speed for me.
Old 05-22-2012, 23:00   #3
AngryPanda
Is he a troll?

Night and day. LCP is a great little pocket gun don't get me wrong, but the 238 can do anything the LCP can and more.

The only "con" I can think of is some people can't wrap their heads around cocked and locked carry and for some reason feel safer with a DAO gun

Oh, 238 mags are apparently made of gold, they go about 50 bucks. I'm told Colt Mustang mags work, and they do indeed fit but I have not had the chance to actually fire with a mustang mag.
Old 05-22-2012, 23:05   #4
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
I find the recoil of the LCP to be painful.

I regularly shoot 44mags-10mm and 357 mag hot loads, yet I can't fire a full mag out of the LCP without flinching.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 23:48   #5
Clusterfrack

And, the p238 can handle Buffalo Bore +p 100gr lead hard cast. I chrono them at 1050fps out of my gun.
Old 05-23-2012, 00:26   #6
DairyFresh

The p238 is the first carry gun I have carried EVERYDAY. I prefer pocket carry, and it's like a baby 1911. Perfection IMHO. Very cool too.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:27   #7
wrencher

I have an LCP I carry in a pocket in the summertime. Friend has the SIG, I've shot it quite a bit.
The SIG is more gun, better trigger, better sights, better shooter.
It's also bigger, bigger enough that it doesn't work as a pocket carry for me.
My LCP has been very reliable with everything I've shot through it, as long as it's brass cased.
I'm keeping the LCP, have no use for the SIG.
If I was going to carry the SIG on my belt, I'd carry a bigger gun in a better caliber.
wrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 14:57   #8
2@low8

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryPanda View Post
Night and day. LCP is a great little pocket gun don't get me wrong, but the 238 can do anything the LCP can and more.

The only "con" I can think of is some people can't wrap their heads around cocked and locked carry and for some reason feel safer with a DAO gun

Oh, 238 mags are apparently made of gold, they go about 50 bucks. I'm told Colt Mustang mags work, and they do indeed fit but I have not had the chance to actually fire with a mustang mag.
Colt magazines do in fact work. I have one and it works flawlessly. If you have an Academy sports anywhere near you , they often carry the 7 shot with finger extension mags for the 238 for about $39.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:24   #9
uhlawpup
Gentle Soul

Send a message via Yahoo to uhlawpup
I had the LCP predecessor, the Kel-Tec P3AT, and ditched it when I got my P238. I just got the new Sig finger extension mags for my 238, and like it even more. It is so much more reliable and easy to use.

CRUX SANCTA SIT MIHI LUX
NUNQUAM DRACO SIT MIHI DUX
uhlawpup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:50   #10
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag_heuer View Post
Im flip floppin between the Ruger LCP and the Sig P238. I was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience between the two. Im looking to carry it as a back up weapon. Pro v. Cons any info would help in the decision.
You are going to see people who have favorites. That's nice

The real question is what are you looking for?

One of the first considerations for me and my carry guns is whether it has an active safety (like a thumb safety) or not. I prefer to just draw and shoot without having to flip or push anthing other than the trigger, so I prefer no thumb safety.

Maybe other questions are more important, but that thumb safety question is one of the first things I want to know about a gun
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 13:00   #11
MississipVol

If you are comfortable carrying "cocked and locked" then I think it would be the Sig hands down.
MississipVol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 00:11   #12
tag_heuer

I'm not really concerned about the safety. I'll carry it as my backup weapon. I cant decide and was hoping for in put from those who carry either of the two weapons. I did fire the lcp and loved the gun minus the long trigger pull
tag_heuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 00:30   #13
ViennaGambit

They are two totally different beasts and the Sig is twice the price! Definitely not an apples to apples comparison.

I dont consider the Sig a pocket gun as carrying it cocked and locked in a pocket just seems like a snag waiting to happen, plus it seems as though you would always need a holster for it...

The Sig is also a decent amount heavier which does aid in the recoil and make it much more shootable.

If I was going to carry a gun that heavy, I would just stick to a J Frame, and that means I woul dprobably just wind up carrying my G26...

The Sig seems to be too big (and yes I have handled and shot it) to take advantage of the small pocket gun category - we carry .380 when we cant make anything else work or as a backup - get the smallest and lightest possible, p3at or lcp. Otherwise, just make the 642 or G26 work...

Last edited by ViennaGambit; 05-25-2012 at 00:33..
ViennaGambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 01:01   #14
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

For me I would use the P238 as a backup gun. That's just me.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:08   #15
AngryPanda
Is he a troll?

I am really having a hard time wrapping my head around the posts that say the 238 is to big and heavy, but to each their own I guess.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:06   #16
Nakanokalronin
JMB & MTK

I've owned 2 P3ATs, shot an LCP quite a bit and have a P238 as the pocket carry option in my line up. I find the P238 to have less recoil, a better trigger, better sights, better grips/options and an all around better feel. I carry it in my front right pocket in a D.M. Bullard holster. Ammo right now is Hornady CD but I'll probably just go with ball once they run out. Not a single malfunction since I bought it.

General Firearms Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Nakanokalronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:02   #17
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tag_heuer View Post
I'm not really concerned about the safety. I'll carry it as my backup weapon. I cant decide and was hoping for in put from those who carry either of the two weapons. I did fire the lcp and loved the gun minus the long trigger pull
My LCP worked fine with FMJ, but wide mouth hollow points got hung up so I got a stronger Wolff recoil spring, and switched to Hornady Critical Defense for it (red plastic pointy tip). Now I consider it 100% reliable, and added it to the carry rotation.

My wife also carries it sometimes. It has been reliable for her, too, but she doesn't like to shoot it much because of the harsh recoil. Of course she still practises with it, but she doesn't like it.

However, nobody complains about how easy it is to carry Pretty sure the LCP is among the best in that respect, for light and thin and no snag, yet still quite shootable and reliable.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 05-25-2012 at 05:04..
Old 05-25-2012, 05:37   #18
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrencher View Post
I have an LCP I carry in a pocket in the summertime. Friend has the SIG, I've shot it quite a bit.
The SIG is more gun, better trigger, better sights, better shooter.
It's also bigger, bigger enough that it doesn't work as a pocket carry for me.
My LCP has been very reliable with everything I've shot through it, as long as it's brass cased.
I'm keeping the LCP, have no use for the SIG.
If I was going to carry the SIG on my belt, I'd carry a bigger gun in a better caliber.
While the Sig is a nice .380, it is bigger than the LCP and I would not carry it in my pocket. For the money, the LCP wins hands down between the two IMO, as the LCP is better at being what the two are designed for. Pocket carry and being a BUG. I personally would NEVER carry a .380 on my hip, as I have way too many bigger and better options.
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:11   #19
ak103k

I had both, I still have the LCP.

My P238 was one of the less than reliable ones, and never did work right. It constantly jammed, and chewed up brass. I figured it was just being true to form for a 1911 "copy", especially one smaller than a Commander. I know the P238 isnt a true 1911 copy, but it seemed fitting. After about a month of fiddling and 700 rounds wasted, I decided to cut my losses (even though I still took a pretty good one), and traded the P238 off on a 26.

I bought the LCP about a week after I got the P238. It ran fine from the first round, and has never missed a beat. Its OK, but I really dont see it doing anything better than my Seecamps, so it doesnt get out much.

As far as shooting goes, when the P238 would shoot, it was the more accurate of the two from a "target" shooting stand point, shooting groups at bullseye targets. When shot realistically in the manner the guns are likely to be used, theres really little difference. Sights on these type guns are kind of pointless, and really unnecessary. These are both second or third line back up guns, and meant to be used in that capacity, or at least for me they are.

The P238 was one of the softest shooting .380's Ive shot, but the LCP isnt bad either. Im not sure I understand the comments about them being harsh to shoot. They arent. They are a little skinny and somewhat slippery as they come, and do benefit greatly from a little stippling.

One thing that really bugged me about the P238 was the safety. Its not that is wasnt functional, it was, and seemed pretty stiff, so it likely wasnt getting knocked off easily. What annoyed me was, it was "loud" when swept off. By loud, I mean M14 or AK loud. There was no getting it off discreetly. I personally would probably just carried it hammer down on a loaded chamber and thumb cocked it if had kept it. ts basically the same time and motion, and cocking the hammer was a lot quieter.

If I were to be looking at the P238 again for some reason, the only way Id get one, is if I could shoot it first to know it worked. After what I went through with mine, Im a little skiddish of them. I was always a big SIG fan, and never having any troubles with the number of others I owned, expected a lot more from it. Its the only SIG I ever had trouble with.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 06:56   #20
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak103k View Post
The P238 was one of the softest shooting .380's Ive shot, but the LCP isnt bad either. Im not sure I understand the comments about them being harsh to shoot. They arent. They are a little skinny and somewhat slippery as they come, and do benefit greatly from a little stippling.
The OP seems to have tried an LCP and liked it from what I gather, so the recoil must not be bad to him.

The recoil doesn't bother me on it, but when compared to other larger guns, it is a bit harsh. Not as bad as my PPK, which I would say is snotty

Where the recoil issue really matters is with those it bothers. Has to do with differences in experience, hand fit, technique, what you are used to, a person's physical demensions and strength, and all sorts of such things, maybe even gender. Lots of people don't like the LCP recoil. Lots of women don't like it.

So while you or I might not mind it much at all, we can't assume that our wives will enjoy shooting it Mine actually prefers to shoot her .38 j-frame snubby revolver instead of the LCP.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 05-25-2012 at 06:58..

Tags
lcp, p238