Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:47   #976
Travclem
Lifetime Membership
Badass Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKUSP9SD View Post
I understand better metals, but really its a knife. Its a tool for cutting and stabbing. My 20 dollar knife will do everything a 300 dollar one will. Might break or become less sharp sooner, but its a knife. They all wear out.

As for the HK over high point, when i buy a gun I know its going to cost alot for quality. But when I can get a knife made of quality steel for 20-30 compared to a 200-300 dollar tacticool knife, Ill stick to the cheap one. At the end of the day, its a pocket knife. Back up weapon or tool.
By your logic a Hi-Point will do everything an HK will. It may jam or break sooner but its a pistol, they all wear out. Can you point me to a $20 knife with good steel such as CPM-M4, S30V, CPM-D2 or CPM154 with a GOOD heat treat?

There are diminishing returns between a $100 Benchmade and a $425 Chris Reeve, but it really doesn't happen before about the $100 mark. A $100 Benchmade is at least 5X the quality of the $20 Fiskars. It is made for better materials and to tighter tolerances with better QC. If you want to carry $20 junk and feel that that is all you want in a knife, by all means, do it. That is your choice, but you are way out in left field by berating someone for wanting quality tools.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

Last edited by Travclem; 06-20-2013 at 10:49..
Travclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:08   #977
HKUSP9SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
By your logic a Hi-Point will do everything an HK will. It may jam or break sooner but its a pistol, they all wear out. Can you point me to a $20 knife with good steel such as CPM-M4, S30V, CPM-D2 or CPM154 with a GOOD heat treat?

There are diminishing returns between a $100 Benchmade and a $425 Chris Reeve, but it really doesn't happen before about the $100 mark. A $100 Benchmade is at least 5X the quality of the $20 Fiskars. It is made for better materials and to tighter tolerances with better QC. If you want to carry $20 junk and feel that that is all you want in a knife, by all means, do it. That is your choice, but you are way out in left field by berating someone for wanting quality tools.

Last I checked, high points go bang when you shoot them. Its not an HK, but it works. It will break and jam more then the HK for sure. So my logic is actually factual. Same thing with every consumer item, including knives. I didnt mean to berate anyone for wanting a quality tool, Im really just trying to understand the differences between a cheap pocket knife, and a quality one besides the steel. Are the benchmade knives like indestructible for life or something?
Old 06-20-2013, 13:12   #978
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Last I checked, high points go bang when you shoot them. Its not an HK, but it works. It will break and jam more then the HK for sure. So my logic is actually factual. Same thing with every consumer item, including knives. I didnt mean to berate anyone for wanting a quality tool, Im really just trying to understand the differences between a cheap pocket knife, and a quality one besides the steel. Are the benchmade knives like indestructible for life or something?
Fit, finish, heat treat, frame and scale materials. Yes, a Benchmade knife as compared to POS Gerber/Fiskar knife will out perform and outlast.

I don't think you are really trying to understand. The Hi-Point to HK analogy was pretty much dead on.

Good tools are better built with better material and out perform lesser quality tools. It's that simple.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 13:20   #979
eb07
Sharkin'

I consider a knife a tool. The tool I use most day to day is my leatherman skeletool cx....

One handed knife opening with a 154cm blade, takes bits instead of a fixed screwdriver so I bought a bit set for it that fits flat in a back pocket.

Halfway decent pliers and cutters for light day to day duty.

The bottle opener comes in handy too.

I use it daily and barely know it is there at 142 grams.

Mine is a straight blade and it has held up well

The Okie Corral
eb07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 23:26   #980
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travclem View Post
................. but you are way out in left field by berating someone for wanting quality tools.
Amen!

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 23:28   #981
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
I understand better metals, but really its a knife. Its a tool for cutting and stabbing. My 20 dollar knife will do everything a 300 dollar one will. Might break or become less sharp sooner, but its a knife. They all wear out.

As for the HK over high point, when i buy a gun I know its going to cost alot for quality. But when I can get a knife made of quality steel for 20-30 compared to a 200-300 dollar tacticool knife, Ill stick to the cheap one. At the end of the day, its a pocket knife. Back up weapon or tool.
That 20-30 dollar pigsticka ain't going to pry open a truck door like my ESSE 5 will. I can take a video of me cutting into pieces with a plasma cutter, and they will send me a new one.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

Last edited by Angry Fist; 06-20-2013 at 23:30..
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 00:04   #982
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Swiss Army Hunter for me.

Old 06-21-2013, 00:05   #983
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Fist View Post
That 20-30 dollar pigsticka ain't going to pry open a truck door like my ESSE 5 will. I can take a video of me cutting into pieces with a plasma cutter, and they will send me a new one.
Try using a pry bar.

Old 06-21-2013, 00:39   #984
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Try cutting an apple with a pry bar.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 00:47   #985
Lone_Wolfe
CLM Number 226
Sandbox Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverMore1701 View Post
I like applesauce.

To those who have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending American freedom, you will not be forgotten.

RIP my friends Greg and Florence, see you again on the other side.
RIP Jeff (23Skidoo) - 1962-2012 and Gloria (Silent_Runner) - 1964-2013
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE
Lone_Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:03   #986
.38 super
Observer

Quote:
Gerber. Under 20 bucks at Walmart, does the same thing as most knives ... We have a lot of knife fighters here? lol
I'm not a knife fighter but i have few scars and IMHO there is a difference between expensive and inexpensive knives, I'm not talking about cheaply made knives... I would always pay more for well thought design and materials. It depend how you use your knife after all - I have inexpensive knives that will open slightly in your pocket when you jump off a truck, well build (expensive) knifes will not do this. Are you familiar what would happened if you reach for this knife in a hurry ?
...I own few inexpensive knives (i.e. CRKT Heiho) and I'm happy with them for the same reason you are pointing - everyday use, if I brake it, I can always replace it and so on, but there is a big difference between the two categories and if you have few of the expensive-ones you would know it...
Dwaine's Aircats look extremely tacticool and are very expensive knives by my standards but once you hold one of them in your hand and actually use it for few things you'll see what your money worth, also will last longer than some imitations (if there are any), generally speaking...
Comparing the original Bedlam for $170 to the Ganzo copy for $20 will give you pretty good idea with is the difference between two of them, the Ganzo's action is way crappier than the Bedlam's, you can't compare the 154cpm hardened to 58-61hrc to 440c and no name materials for the pins, springs and liners... This is the first example that comes to my mind, I own both of those, got the Ganzo out of curiosity...
Let's not judge people because they choose how to spent their money for what they are using every day... Generally I agree that knife is a knife, a tool as everything else, but how you use it will probably give you a better understanding why some people prefer actually better build tools, I will assume your "lol" thing goes for those that don't know what to do with $700 knife that stays in the living room and it's only purpose is to start conversations during party or to fulfill some of his owners fantasies...
Florida Glockers Club #1964
Калашников Клуб №1000
.38 super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:13   #987
Assiduous

I carry a left hand Chris Reeve Tanto Umnumzaan, by far the best quality knife I have and carry all the time. I also have a Benchmade 950sbk, and soon to come (pre-orders) zero tolerance 0566, and 0801cf. I look forward to the 2 zero tolerance knifes to come in.
Assiduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 20:51   #988
Sharkey

I think I'm turning Chinese, I think I'm turning Chinese, I really think so. I was impressed with the first Ganzo so I bought a second one and an Inron as well. For about $22 each, they are impressive.

[IMG]The Okie Corral[/IMG]
Old 06-21-2013, 21:01   #989
Rick C
affiant

Seiko 007 Pepsi-Dial that looks sharp, doesn’t cut worth a damn.
Old 06-21-2013, 21:13   #990
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

Quote:
My Swiss Army Knife cuts the apple just fine.
Old 06-22-2013, 20:20   #991
HKUSP9SD

Quote:
Originally Posted by .38 super View Post
I'm not a knife fighter but i have few scars and IMHO there is a difference between expensive and inexpensive knives, I'm not talking about cheaply made knives... I would always pay more for well thought design and materials. It depend how you use your knife after all - I have inexpensive knives that will open slightly in your pocket when you jump off a truck, well build (expensive) knifes will not do this. Are you familiar what would happened if you reach for this knife in a hurry ?
...I own few inexpensive knives (i.e. CRKT Heiho) and I'm happy with them for the same reason you are pointing - everyday use, if I brake it, I can always replace it and so on, but there is a big difference between the two categories and if you have few of the expensive-ones you would know it...
Dwaine's Aircats look extremely tacticool and are very expensive knives by my standards but once you hold one of them in your hand and actually use it for few things you'll see what your money worth, also will last longer than some imitations (if there are any), generally speaking...
Comparing the original Bedlam for $170 to the Ganzo copy for $20 will give you pretty good idea with is the difference between two of them, the Ganzo's action is way crappier than the Bedlam's, you can't compare the 154cpm hardened to 58-61hrc to 440c and no name materials for the pins, springs and liners... This is the first example that comes to my mind, I own both of those, got the Ganzo out of curiosity...
Let's not judge people because they choose how to spent their money for what they are using every day... Generally I agree that knife is a knife, a tool as everything else, but how you use it will probably give you a better understanding why some people prefer actually better build tools, I will assume your "lol" thing goes for those that don't know what to do with $700 knife that stays in the living room and it's only purpose is to start conversations during party or to fulfill some of his owners fantasies...
Thanks for the insight. I guess I just use mine for little things here and there, so I dont need a top tier knife. I didnt mean to offend anyone about there choice of knife. I was just trying to understand why they are so much better. I guess if you need a knife/prybar/glass break, the more expensive knife is the way to go.
Old 06-22-2013, 20:22   #992
HKUSP9SD

Quote:
Hahaha man if i needed to pry open a door id get a better tool than a knife! All joking aside, that is pretty sick to be able to do that with a knife.
Old 06-22-2013, 20:39   #993
singularity35

Quote:
Hahaha man if i needed to pry open a door id get a better tool than a knife! All joking aside, that is pretty sick to be able to do that with a knife.
That's well and good if you still have the chance to do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW1178 View Post
So what makes all human life so valuable? Who said? A cooky religion?
singularity35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 21:23   #994
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Try using a pry bar.

It is a pry bar, just a little short, with a nice edge on it.

Quote:
I don't collect many things, so I kinda go for the best "one tool fits all" that I can afford. I locked my keys in the truck awile back and it got me in in no time. I used a spare mag to keep it open whie I popped the lock.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 21:27   #995
Sharkey

Hey, buy whatever you like. I have a couple collector knives I paid a couple hundred dollars for. I do NOT carry them. I have a drawer full of carry knives ranging from a couple $20 Chinese knives to some $85-100 Kershaws and Benchmades.

Kershaw is my favorite brand but guess what, the Chinese knives do very well especially considering their price point. In fact, many makers use the same Chinese factories to make their lower end knives. Spyderco and Kershaw are good examples. If I need a pry bar, I do NOT use a knife. If I need to cut something or stab someone, well I use a knife.

I've also had a nice $1000 1911 and yet somehow the $425 G19 was carried way more often. Both went bang when I qualified, the G19 was just easier to clean and lighter to carry and offered more rounds.

OKC Apache and CRKT Foresight are my newest "nice" knives and I really like the OKC. That said, the Inron is in my pocket now and the Ganzo was in my pocket earlier when I went to work in some not so safe places.

Last edited by Sharkey; 06-22-2013 at 21:31..
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:41   #996
BEER
bad example

double post.

Last edited by BEER; 06-23-2013 at 12:37..
BEER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:47   #997
BEER
bad example

Quote:
It is a pry bar, just a little short, with a nice edge on it.

I don't collect many things, so I kinda go for the best "one tool fits all" that I can afford. I locked my keys in the truck awile back and it got me in in no time. I used a spare mag to keep it open whie I popped the lock.

i've broken my fair share of knives (both cheap and expensive) using them as pry bars so i made this. if i can get to my knife i can get to my pry bar.

The Okie Corral

it's a modiefied stanley wonder bar. they're like 5$ at any tool place and takes about 15 minutes to modify if you have a dremel and a bench grinder.

but hey if you want to risk a 100$+ knife and/or your hand go ahead.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:29   #998
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
I think I'm turning Chinese, I think I'm turning Chinese, I really think so. I was impressed with the first Ganzo so I bought a second one and an Inron as well. For about $22 each, they are impressive.

[IMG]The Okie Corral[/IMG]
Fake, Chinese ripoffs aren't very appealing.
For the last time
Old 06-23-2013, 12:39   #999
BEER
bad example

Quote:
Fake, Chinese ripoffs aren't very appealing.
false. lol

http://glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=94
Old 06-23-2013, 12:44   #1000
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEER View Post
That has what to do with obvious fakes of respected brands?
For the last time