Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-12-2014, 13:45   #1
JMS

Going Out of Town Thread

What do you all do in preparation for going out of town for several weeks?

1. Stop mail
2. Turn off main water line to home?
3. Empty fridge
4. ??
5. ??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Last edited by JMS; 05-12-2014 at 13:45..
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 13:55   #2
DanaT
Pharaoh

Um.

The night before pack a suitcase (assuming a morning flight...if an afternoon flight pack in the morning)

Get on airplane.
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 13:57   #3
JMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Um.

The night before pack a suitcase (assuming a morning flight...if an afternoon flight pack in the morning)

Get on airplane.
Assuming the house will be entirely empty for 2+ weeks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
JMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 13:57   #4
ranger1968

We call our house sitter, make sure the fridge is full of stuff she likes, and then we pack our stuff....
ranger1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 14:01   #5
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Post on Facebook when you'll be gone and make sure to provide all pertinent details. This helps greatly for those who burgle for a living.
Old 05-12-2014, 14:03   #6
DanaT
Pharaoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
Assuming the house will be entirely empty for 2+ weeks.
Pretty much the same routine.

But board the dog.
I never agreed to be
Your holy one
DanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 14:03   #7
Dave514

Mail
Water off
Turn down heat/air
Tell certain neighbors.
Set Lamp timers.
Turn on radio
Fake TV

set up motion detector phone

“I will not attack your doctrines nor your creeds if they accord liberty to me. If they hold thought to be dangerous - if they aver that doubt is a crime, then I attack them one and all, because they enslave the minds of men."
Robert Ingersoll
Dave514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 14:07   #8
Cybercowboy
Support the 2nd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger1968 View Post
We call our house sitter, make sure the fridge is full of stuff she likes, and then we pack our stuff....
I have a nephew who is now 21. We've offered him the chance to house sit for us a few times. He always says yes then at the last minute backs out. He just likes living at home with mom and dad and his younger sisters. It's all he knows.

When I was his age I would have been all over it. Unlimited internet, satellite TV, feed a couple of cats twice a day, get the mail, make sure nothing goes terribly wrong...

Nope, just not interested. Might cramp his lack of style. Nice guest bedroom, XBox, Wii, etc etc etc. Oh, and we'd pay him too. After the first couple of times of asking I don't even bother anymore. My wife's retired parents check in on the place. I even explained to him that he's making his grandparents do the simple job we're asking, and they do it for free. He shrugs and stares at his phone.

Oh, and he lives a whole mile away. Just too much trouble apparently.

Last edited by Cybercowboy; 05-12-2014 at 14:08..
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 14:12   #9
PBCounty

If it's a few days...nothing. If it's a week plus then I'll shut off the little PVC "water main" coming off of my well. Nothing else.
Old 05-12-2014, 15:04   #10
Flying-Dutchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMS View Post
What do you all do in preparation for going out of town for several weeks?

1. Stop mail
2. Turn off main water line to home?
3. Empty fridge
4. ??
5. ??
I would have a house sitter and not make any adjustments to your routine.

I would not stop the mail. Have a trusted neighbor get it if you must.
Flying-Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 15:08   #11
PBCounty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
I have a nephew who is now 21. We've offered him the chance to house sit for us a few times. He always says yes then at the last minute backs out. He just likes living at home with mom and dad and his younger sisters. It's all he knows.

When I was his age I would have been all over it. Unlimited internet, satellite TV, feed a couple of cats twice a day, get the mail, make sure nothing goes terribly wrong...

Nope, just not interested. Might cramp his lack of style. Nice guest bedroom, XBox, Wii, etc etc etc. Oh, and we'd pay him too. After the first couple of times of asking I don't even bother anymore. My wife's retired parents check in on the place. I even explained to him that he's making his grandparents do the simple job we're asking, and they do it for free. He shrugs and stares at his phone.

Not to hijack, but I'm even hearing from a number of local parents that they have to talk their kids into getting their drivers licenses. They just have no interesting in going out, exploring, and doing things on their own.
Old 05-12-2014, 15:10   #12
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
I like to put a couple of lamps on timers to turn them off and on during our normal times we are awake. I leave the radio on top of the dog's kennel on. It's always on anyway. I turn the water off to the washer, and toilets.

Make sure all the trash cans are empty and in the can in the garage (but don't set out the trash). Make sure any dishes and laundry are clean (don't like coming home to a dirty/smell house).

Once we buy a house, I'm going to set it up with home automation and will it alot faster and easier as well as more advanced.
Old 05-12-2014, 15:17   #13
larry_minn
Silver Membership

Dang I LOVED farm sitting. Go over feed cattle,stuff... Then check on house, fields. Just over a hr am,pm
larry_minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 15:23   #14
PBCounty

My neighbor is a pretty old guy with nothing much to do. If I'm going out for longer than a week I'll give him a few bucks and he just kind of hangs out with some snacks, books and an old Mini-14 he totes around.
Old 05-12-2014, 15:24   #15
TK-421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post

It's entirely possible he's autistic, and the unknown/new things scare him. Don't know 100%, seeing as how I don't know him, and I'm not a doc. The thought of sleeping at a different house, in a bed that isn't his, with sounds that aren't his, and things that aren't his, and having that upset him and makes him uncomfortable, sounds somewhat like me, and I have Asperger's.

I'm always uncomfortable when I'm sleeping anywhere but my own house. But, granted, I've learned to deal with some of the things like that, and that became a whole lot easier once I found out I was Autistic. Honestly, if you haven't already, you might want to get him test.

Unlike him, though, I'd happily house sit for someone, if it meant I got paid, I had all the TV and internet I could want, and I was left alone. But that's because I live in a house with my mom and older brother, and I'd be much, much happier living alone. So I like to do that every chance I get.

"Jesus died for your sins, right? Get your money's worth."
- Chad Daniels
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 15:30   #16
airmotive
Tin Kicker

Add...turn water heater to min setting.
Old 05-12-2014, 15:36   #17
Mister Clean

I do something that hardly anyone else ever does anymore:

- - - I notify my newspaper carrier to stop my home delivery of the two papers that I get each morning.

Fortunately though if the message doesn't get through, my next door neighbor is very diligent about picking them up every day for me.
Mister Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 15:41   #18
captainstormy

Send a message via ICQ to captainstormy Send a message via AIM to captainstormy Send a message via Yahoo to captainstormy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Clean View Post
I do something that hardly anyone else ever does anymore:

- - - I notify my newspaper carrier to stop my home delivery of the two papers that I get each morning.

Fortunately though if the message doesn't get through, my next door neighbor is very diligent about picking them up every day for me.
Seriously? How old are you.

So far the *Youngest* person I know of with a subscription to a news paper is 62.

Last edited by captainstormy; 05-12-2014 at 15:41..
captainstormy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 15:49   #19
Golddog

My wife loves to travel. I hate it and love my rural home and surrounding park lands. And I don't like to leave my dogs.

So she goes off and I am the happy guardian of the hearth.

PS: I subscribe to both the local daily paper and The NY Times. But I'm 75 years old and grew up fascinated by newspapers.
Golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 16:16   #20
syntaxerrorsix
CLM Number 301
Anti-Federalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaT View Post
Um.

Get on airplane.
I can only add: top off pet food and water bowls.

Anything short of a month is old hat.

syntaxerrorsix is offline   Reply With Quote