Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 01-07-2013, 22:05   #1
BMiracletx

New 45 GAP owner

Alright guys... gimme the scoop! I am the new owner (although not in my possession yet) of a 37 and a 38. Been looking for awhile and finally found a dealer in San Antonio that had the 37 and 38 "blue label" LEO/MIL versions... so I bought them. Will be picking them up when I head down there Saturday.

I mostly load my own, so I am looking for some good light/mid range target/range loads... nothing hot. Will be getting aftermarket barrels and will be shooting mostly 200 plated or lead RNFP. My preferred powders in 45 Auto are Bullseye and TiteGroup for range loads, but can also use Clays, 231, and Universal. Not going to get into my other powders, so tell me what you load in these for light/mid level loads (no interested in hot-rodded heavy loads... that is why I have a 10mm).

So these two addition make 14 of 19 models... working my way towards one of all available (excluding 18, 17L, and 24). Now I have 17, 19, 20, 21sf, 22, 23, 27, 30sf, 31, 32, 35, 36, 37, and 38. Only 5 more to go! (26, 29, 33, 34, 39)

Thanks in advance for any load info!

Last edited by BMiracletx; 01-07-2013 at 22:08..
BMiracletx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36   #2
Beanie-Bean

Congrats! I like Hornady 185 gr. XTP over Power Pistol, CCI primers.

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57   #3
BMiracletx

Thanks. When shooting jacketed bullets I love the XTPs too. I dont shoot them near as much as I do lead or plated bullets for paper. Now when I am out hunting pigs... 180 XTPs and Longshot in my 10mm.

Surely someone out there has some good starting loads for the GAP. I know, I know, check a manual... but I know y'all have some pet loads...

Last edited by BMiracletx; 01-08-2013 at 08:58..
Old 01-08-2013, 18:04   #4
Lotsa Glocks

Did you check in the GAP reloading tips sticky at the top on the first Bull Dawgs screen? Here is one that DannyR (moderator) posted.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150708

"Are we at last brought to such humiliating and debasing degradation, that we cannot be trusted with arms for our defense?" Patrick Henry
Lotsa Glocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 18:55   #5
RGV_Gringo

Which dealer? Share if they have more GAP's in stock. Congrats on the purchase.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
RGV_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:18   #6
ADK_40GLKr

For my G38 I'm loading 200 & 230 gr bullets over PowerPistol or HS6 which are right in the middle of the power range. Can't remember the exact grains but I do recall both were near the top of their recommended charge to get them to eject properly.

I'll try to get to my bench and log tomorrow and give you specifics.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:45   #7
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK_40GLKr View Post
For my G38 I'm loading 200 & 230 gr bullets over PowerPistol or HS6 which are right in the middle of the power range. Can't remember the exact grains but I do recall both were near the top of their recommended charge to get them to eject properly.

I'll try to get to my bench and log tomorrow and give you specifics.
Thanks for the info... I have HS6 but usually reserve that for my heavy 45 colt loads, and 45 auto +p, and 9mm +P. I am looking to mainly run a faster powder than HS6 and PowerPistol for my target loads.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:08   #8
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGV_Gringo View Post
Which dealer? Share if they have more GAP's in stock. Congrats on the purchase.
Sorry for the late response. I got them from Durys Gunshop in San Antonio. Right now their online inventory is showing a 37 and a 39... however the 39 is already gone... its mine! They had just got it in, so I bought that one along with the 37 and 38. TRIFECTA!

So, if you are looking for a blue label 37, they should still have one.
Old 01-10-2013, 22:45   #9
OmegaRunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiracletx View Post
Sorry for the late response. I got them from Durys Gunshop in San Antonio. Right now their online inventory is showing a 37 and a 39... however the 39 is already gone... its mine! They had just got it in, so I bought that one along with the 37 and 38. TRIFECTA!

So, if you are looking for a blue label 37, they should still have one.
Congrats! I just finished buying my Triple Threat as well.
SAF Life Member
OmegaRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 16:10   #10
ADK_40GLKr

HS6 & PP recipes

Quote:
Thanks for the info... I have HS6 but usually reserve that for my heavy 45 colt loads, and 45 auto +p, and 9mm +P. I am looking to mainly run a faster powder than HS6 and PowerPistol for my target loads.
Well, I looked them up, so here they are anyway...
Maybe someone else can use them.

7.9 gn HS6 pushing 200 gn JHP - 1.08" OAL

5.7 gn Power Point behind 230 gn RN - 1.135"

I pushed them up near the max in order to get adequate ejection from my G38. Softer rounds were ejecting the brass right into my face.
Old 01-11-2013, 16:20   #11
TSAX
USAF Vet

Congrats, Im more partial to the G38 because it fits my hand better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 21:27   #12
RGV_Gringo

Thanks for the info. I was in Durys right before Christmas, the store was packed, and I completely missed the blue label GAPs. Won't make that mistake again!

FYI, I got 3 G37 mags from GT Distributors (Austin) this week, that were marked as G31's. They may have some more if you need them.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByOHubCampfire1357961231.556026.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	230332

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
RGV_Gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:06   #13
wacopolumbo

Congrats! They are 3 fine pistols. You will enjoy them. I am looking into getting reloading now that I have 4 GAP pistols (39x2, 38, 37 and XD Tactical). Been shooting for years but never reloaded because I am military and have moved just about every 2 years (including overseas) and didn't want to deal with storing/shipping the set-up. Now that I am looking at retirement, maybe I should try it.

Learning from my mistakes since 1974
wacopolumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:13   #14
b_oglethorpe

That is the only ammo on the shelf at my LGS.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Last edited by b_oglethorpe; 01-15-2013 at 08:14..
b_oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16   #15
BMiracletx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacopolumbo View Post
Been shooting for years but never reloaded because I am military and have moved just about every 2 years (including overseas) and didn't want to deal with storing/shipping the set-up. Now that I am looking at retirement, maybe I should try it.
Haha... man, I am at 19 1/2 years right now myself. My wife has 2 1/2 left until she is odne, so I will probably stay until she is done. I never had any problem with them moving stuff except for powders and primers.

Anyways, I just got all my dies set up last night for the GAP. Will probably turn out a few hundred rounds tonight and hopefully try them out in the next few days. Will be loading Rainier 200 RN over Titegroup, 200 XTPs over 231 or Universal, and some 200 RNFP lead over Bullseye (to be shot through my LoneWolf barrels I have on order for the 37 and 38). Will have to post my results afterwards. I figure the target loads should be good in the 4.1 grain range of Titegroup and Bullseye to start with. WIll increase as needed for reliable cycling/ejection.
Old 01-15-2013, 12:08   #16
wacopolumbo

Quote:
Haha... man, I am at 19 1/2 years right now myself. My wife has 2 1/2 left until she is odne, so I will probably stay until she is done. I never had any problem with them moving stuff except for powders and primers.

Anyways, I just got all my dies set up last night for the GAP. Will probably turn out a few hundred rounds tonight and hopefully try them out in the next few days. Will be loading Rainier 200 RN over Titegroup, 200 XTPs over 231 or Universal, and some 200 RNFP lead over Bullseye (to be shot through my LoneWolf barrels I have on order for the 37 and 38). Will have to post my results afterwards. I figure the target loads should be good in the 4.1 grain range of Titegroup and Bullseye to start with. WIll increase as needed for reliable cycling/ejection.
Congrats on making it through. What do you do? USAF or Army? My wife retires on 15 Feb, I will retire on 1 Jun with almost 21 in. I've had a blast and done alot, but it's time for us to move on.

Seriously looking at getting a reloading set-up.....

Old 01-16-2013, 15:23   #17
BMiracletx

Quote:
Congrats on making it through. What do you do? USAF or Army? My wife retires on 15 Feb, I will retire on 1 Jun with almost 21 in. I've had a blast and done alot, but it's time for us to move on.

Seriously looking at getting a reloading set-up.....
I am USAF. spent 10 1/2 enlisted, and the last 9 on the officer side as a physical therapist. My wife is a nurse. We are up for orders... she wants England or Italy, but I am hoping for Florida. At least with Florida I could still take all my guns!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:22   #18
wacopolumbo

No kidding. My wife and I are also prior enlisted. I crossed at the 10.5 year point too. Small world. Good luck on your assignment. We were at Ramstein and then she dd a year in Korea before we reunited here at Langley. VA is gun friendly and we're staying.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:36   #19
BMiracletx

Quote:
No kidding. My wife and I are also prior enlisted. I crossed at the 10.5 year point too. Small world. Good luck on your assignment. We were at Ramstein and then she dd a year in Korea before we reunited here at Langley. VA is gun friendly and we're staying.
Good to know! Langley is also on our dream sheet!