GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-17-2012, 15:53   #1
Metal Angel

How do you guys feel about the Barretta 21?

I had the opportunity to shoot a Barretta 21 (.22LR) yesterday, and before this, never cared a lick about these guns. That thing was so awesome though! The trigger was great and it seemed really accurate for such a small gun! Right now I don't have a .22 that I love, and I want one that I will love because it's so reasonable to shoot. Would it be dumb to have one of these instead of a more purpose built target pistol like a Mk III? It may also serve as a "something is better than nothing" carry gun. Because my current EDC ends up being more of a EODC (every other day carry). I wouldn't dream of a .22 being my primary EDC, but it wouldnt hurt to have one rather than nothing. Really though, I think this question is more about the 21 as a range gun... I just think I might enjoy it more than a Mk. III or the like.
Metal Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 16:02   #2
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Angel View Post
I had the opportunity to shoot a Barretta 21 (.22LR) yesterday, and before this, never cared a lick about these guns. That thing was so awesome though! The trigger was great and it seemed really accurate for such a small gun! Right now I don't have a .22 that I love, and I want one that I will love because it's so reasonable to shoot. Would it be dumb to have one of these instead of a more purpose built target pistol like a Mk III? It may also serve as a "something is better than nothing" carry gun. Because my current EDC ends up being more of a EODC (every other day carry). I wouldn't dream of a .22 being my primary EDC, but it wouldnt hurt to have one rather than nothing. Really though, I think this question is more about the 21 as a range gun... I just think I might enjoy it more than a Mk. III or the like.

Never seen one but my wife has a cute little .22 made by Taurus that is a copy of a gun made by some Italian company called "Beretta". Seems to be a nice little gun.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 16:02   #3
ak103k

Ive owned a couple of them over the years. Dont have one now.

Mine were well made, and functioned OK, if kept spotlessly clean. They seem to get grumpier sooner than most of the other .22's Ive owned.

They are a little big and chunky for a pocket pistol, and .22,s arent the most reliable either. If youre thinking of one of these for that, Id look to something else.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
ak103k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 16:20   #4
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

I had one for a long time and just sold it last year.

I wouldn't say that it was unreliable at feeding. I have a big stockpile of Winchester .22 and it likes that ammo fine.

The problem I did have with it was that sometimes it wouldn't fire. I don't think the firing pin hit the primer as hard as my other .22 guns. The primer would be dented but it didn't fire. If I rotated the cartridge so that it hit a different part of the rim, it always fired.

At first I thought that this was just bad ammo. The thing is that I have 2 .22 rifles and another .22 pistol and I put a lot more rounds through them without any failures.

For that reason, I decided it wasn't worth having. I would prefer to have a larger caliber for self defense and I don't want to get in a gunfight with a gun that may not fire, even if it was only once every couple of hundred rounds.
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 16:28   #5
Golddog

I had one in .22 Short. It was the least reliable gun of the hundreds I've owned; it never got through more than two rounds in a row without some sort of malfunction, and I tried every brand of ammo on the market in it.
Golddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 16:28   #6
ak103k

Quote:
The primer would be dented but it didn't fire. If I rotated the cartridge so that it hit a different part of the rim, it always fired.
Thats a very common rim fire problem, and one of the main reasons I dont like carrying them. Its just the nature of the beast with that type of primer. Ive had it happen with all my .22's, and pretty much with every maker of ammo.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 05-17-2012, 16:45   #7
bac1023

What's a Barretta?

J/K

I have a Beretta Tomcat in 32ACP that runs great. I have no experience with the rimfire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 17:50   #8
Metal Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
What's a Barretta?

J/K

I have a Beretta Tomcat in 32ACP that runs great. I have no experience with the rimfire.
Sorry about the spelling... My phone auto corrects from Berretta to Barretta. I was just to lazy to fix it.

Makes sense that the .32 would be more reliable... But this gun's main purpose for me would be plinking hundreds of rounds at the range, and .32 isn't cheap! I really don't consider anything .380 or less a good defensive caliber, and if I bought this in .32 or .25, I wouldnt be doing high volume shooting with it like I could with .22. The CC option would truly be a secondary purpose to range plinking. Like throw it in my pocket if I planned to carry nothing otherwise. Still, even a plinker can be no fun to shoot if it jams all the time. I know that's an inherent problem with rimfire, but it sounds like guys are saying this one jams more than other rim fire pistols... I don't want a jammomatic. Plus it's secondary purpose as CC would truly be defeated if I couldn't be pretty confident in its reliability.

I don't know... Seems like cheap fun if it worked well... Might just have to decide if I want to take the chance or not.
Old 05-17-2012, 18:06   #9
ak103k

I think part of the problem with these guns is the lack of an extractor. As I said earlier, mine worked fine when they were spotlessly clean, but as they got dirty, they got finicky pretty quick.

Zeitgeist - Addendum
Old 05-17-2012, 18:14   #10
El_Ron1
AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
What's a Barretta?

J/K

Come on...

General Firearms Forum
Old 05-17-2012, 20:27   #11
dewidmt
Gunaholic

I had a 950 for quite a few years (single action, .25 auto) but sold it off. I have since picked up a 21A which is slightly larger and DA/SA. I like it! I wouldn't advise it as a target gun, but it is a fun plinker. I keep mine stashed in the console of my Jeep and sometimes throw it in my pocket for a quick trip somewhere. Mine is dead nuts reliable with CCI Mini-mags.
Old 05-17-2012, 20:30   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

I'd much rather have the Beretta 87 Cheetah, personally.
Old 05-17-2012, 23:28   #13
Ol' Dirty

My dad gave me a stainless 21A in .22. It's a neat little guy but it isn't very accurate. It functions great but the accuracy is a bit disappointing.
Ol' Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 23:31   #14
Metal Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
I'd much rather have the Beretta 87 Cheetah, personally.
Definitely a nice gun, but I think the reason I had fun with the 21 was because it was so small. My dad has a Mk. II and a high standard and I just don't have a lot of fun shooting them. It's like shooting an air gun or something. Not saying the 21 kicks, but it at least feels like you are shooting a firearm.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:52   #15
257 roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddog View Post
I had one in .22 Short. It was the least reliable gun of the hundreds I've owned; it never got through more than two rounds in a row without some sort of malfunction, and I tried every brand of ammo on the market in it.
I have one and its NEVER misfired or jammed,I don't shoot it anymore but it ALWAYS worked
257 roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:00   #16
Hamilton Burger
Incompetent

I have had Ruger's Standard and a MkII but liked the Bobcat better. Mine ran great on Mini-mags, and tolerably accurate to 7 yd. or so.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:06   #17
4 glocks

I have had one for over 20 years. Works fine on Mini mags and stingers. Bulk ammo is hit or miss. I do not shot it much.
I keep telling myself I should sell it but then I tell myself it's cheap to shoot.
Old 05-18-2012, 07:22   #18
Fireman1291
Firefighter/EMT

It makes a very cool suppressor host!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Facebook Fanpage:

Email me for prices on Firearms/Suppressors

Fireman1291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:24   #19
stopatrain
Lifetime Membership

I have one in .22 short and .22lr. Both work 100% if you keep them clean and feed them good ammo.
stopatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32   #20
Rob1109

I have the .22. Really nice gun. Also have the .25 version. Never had any issues with either, although I think the .25 should be inherently more reliable. .25 expensive to shoot. Since I got my LCP I don't carry the 21A very much. Still, it's a very nice gun. You can't go wrong if you want one. Best.
Rob1109 is offline   Reply With Quote