GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:41   #76
r3dot

I immediately recognized Gustavo from Breaking Bad in that picture.

Show looks dumb.
r3dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:20   #77
coqui33
NRA Instructor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWide View Post
All oil and gas will be used up. There are no places to easily drill for oil any more like in the 1800s.
This.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:23   #78
cowboy1964

Natural gas is plentiful. As is coal. Biofuels would be hot.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 16:08   #79
pugman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugman View Post
I read your posts and we agree on a lot...but nothing is a good starting point of what is slowly killing this country.

I'm not one of those "T.V is bad" guys but between bad reality T.V shows (The real Housewives of [insert whatever], Anything related to the Kardashians, mock Pawn Shop shows, etc), bad game shows, dramas based in a hospital/law firm/police department or copy cat sit coms what is really left?

Watching television accounts for half the lesiure time of the average American and accounts for nearly three hours a day.

Better or Nothing would probably serve this country well.

Revolution looks like The Hunger Games - everyone is clean cut, wearing designer clothes and women wearing makeup.
Ok, I gave this a shot. Have TV writers just simply given up trying to put together anything worth while?

This plot seems like it was written after someone watched the Postman and Van Damme's Cyborg circa 1989 (I should put my own eyes out for watching that crap).

Mild spoiler....then again not really since I'm saving you the trouble from watching this train wreck...

So the guy who can save the world....his brother happens to have been the former friend/partner of the General who runs the local militia in the Republic of Munroe. Munroe, if you haven't guessed it already, is the guy's name. All along there is apparently some thumb drive which can save the world. Really...this is the best you can come up with?

Do these writers get together, smoke some serious s*** and think what is the worst plot we can write a major network will pick up? Are they just trying to 1) fill a time slot 2) cash in on December, 2012 3) lose a bet

They would have been better served trying to revive Jericho

Last edited by pugman; 09-10-2012 at 16:08..
pugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 16:27   #80
RMTactical
CLM Number
www.AR15pro.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Openroadracer View Post
Bows and Flintlocks?
yeah what is up with that?

Due to inflation, my $.02 no longer matters.
RMTactical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:15   #81
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post
Survival/Preparedness Forum

I'm not excited about it, if anything it will be "better than nothing" TV watching like Terra Nova was.

Come to think of it not too many Sci-fi shows last on network TV. Terra Nova didn't last long, and Jericho died a slower death only because of an outcry by the fans
I watched the pilot on Hulu. It takes place 15 years after the event yet the guy on the left in the photo is somehow overweight!

I don't think you can look at the show from a logical point of view but a fantasy. If they made a show based upon what would most likely happen, people would spend most of their time looking for food and preparing it. The characters would be dirty, with yellow teeth, teeth missing, oily hair and dirty clothes, guys with beards. They would be carrying large backpacks and not making too much distance per day. It wouldn't make fun TV. Even "The Walking Dead" doesn't go "full reality".

Last edited by PaulMason; 09-11-2012 at 08:24..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44   #82
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dot View Post
I immediately recognized Gustavo from Breaking Bad in that picture.

Show looks dumb.
+1 I like Gus, the Chicken Man. I'm just hoping the show is not a complete disgrace. Hate to see him go from winning an Emmy, to a stemming pile of horse poop.
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:54   #83
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMason View Post
I
I don't think you can look at the show from a logical point of view but a fantasy.
Yup.

Which is why I am totally ignoring it. Well, other than this thread.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 14:35   #84
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissthis View Post
I guess NBC thinks only muskets, crossbows and swords will be the only weapons left after 15years to use.....fools...

If/when it comes on NetFlix...I'll check it out...(no cable)
hahahahah! exactly.
Old 09-11-2012, 15:32   #85
cowboy1964

I doubt this show will last more than one season. Better shows than this have not.
cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:54   #86
Kieller

I'll probably give it a shot only because the wifey was interested in it.

Everytime I see someone swinging a sword around though, I am gonna be thinking of pulling an indiana jones...
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15   #87
Drilled

NBC is owned by Comcast.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:19   #88
The Wizard

All I have got to say about firearms post-SHTF is Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP). And they ain't using CNC machines. Check this out http://www.irinnews.org/InDepthMain....ReportId=34290
The application of the proper amount of high explosives can solve any problem.

Last edited by The Wizard; 09-12-2012 at 11:21..
The Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:45   #89
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard View Post
All I have got to say about firearms post-SHTF is Pakistan’s North West Frontier Province (NWFP). And they ain't using CNC machines. Check this out http://www.irinnews.org/InDepthMain....ReportId=34290
+1. There's a whole lot of 60-80 year old guns & ammo out there, still being used just fine. I've got a couple ~70 year old semiauto carbines, a ~70 year old WW2 1911A1 and some 'newer' 30-40 year old pistols that I'd still trust completely for defensive use, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Fifteen years is negligible in the life expectancy of most any decently-made firearm that isn't horrifically abused.

The "thrown back to the dark ages" teowtwawki storylines may (or may not) make for entertainment, but they're far from realistic.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 13:25   #90
PaulMason

Quote:
Originally Posted by quake View Post

The "thrown back to the dark ages" teowtwawki storylines may (or may not) make for entertainment, but they're far from realistic.
Hollywood doesn't do realistic. Although the old TV movie "The Day After" tried.

If remember the age group for the show is teenagers, what the producers are doing makes sense.

Last edited by PaulMason; 09-12-2012 at 13:48..
PaulMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 13:26   #91
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Hollywood doesn't do realistic.
Correct.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 16:44   #92
pugman

Quote:
Hollywood doesn't do realistic. Although the old TV movie "The Day After" tried.

If remember the age group for the show is teenagers, what the producers are doing makes sense.
I swear if they have "Beebs" in it aged fifteen years I'm going apocolypse on NBC
Old 09-12-2012, 21:07   #93
Kevin108
HADOKEN!

IMDB said the leather-clad beebs in the premier were 16 so I guess NBC is safe.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a
little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
_____- Ben Franklin
Kevin108 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 14:23   #94
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
I watched the pilot on Hulu. It takes place 15 years after the event yet the guy on the left in the photo is somehow overweight!

I don't think you can look at the show from a logical point of view but a fantasy. If they made a show based upon what would most likely happen, people would spend most of their time looking for food and preparing it. The characters would be dirty, with yellow teeth, teeth missing, oily hair and dirty clothes, guys with beards. They would be carrying large backpacks and not making too much distance per day. It wouldn't make fun TV. Even "The Walking Dead" doesn't go "full reality".
I watched it too, its was not that bad. Reminds me of Jericho. It did explain the lack of guns a little bit, apparently the civilian ownership of a firearm is a hangable offense. The Militia captain Gustavo or whatever his name is on this show pulled a Desert Eagle and just started picking off rioting villagers who were armed with bows and pick axes. There was at least two other people with shotguns, a villager who was in the riot, and another lady in a different scene with a double barreled.

It looks like the powerful and the lucky are the only people with real firearms. All the plebs and the grunt have bows, and flintlocks.

Its interesting for now, but like Jericho I think they are going to write themselves in a corner real fast.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 09-17-2012 at 14:24..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 14:42   #95
wjv

Where is everyone (guys & gals) getting razor blades and toothpaste from?

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 17:02   #96
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
Toothpaste isn't really necessary to keeping your teeth clean and people have been shaving for thousands of years. You'll be surprised to learn, a safety razor and crest are not survival necessities - hope that doesn't upset the preps of anybody in the S&P forum.

However, I watched the pilot for about 10 minutes and all I saw was "weak hippies are good and the people with guns are bad." Certainly not up to FX standards. I doubt I'll watch any more.

Did any good guys show up during the episiode who weren't weak*&& vegan types?

EDIT: OK, I went back and skipped to a middle scene and near the end - holy crap that sucked. Like razors, we had guns before we had electricity - even the quality of hand tools available to modern people with no electricity would be far better that Sam Colt's first guns were made with. Skipping over the question of why the discovery of basic electricity was erased by what must have been an EM pulse, how is it that people have lost all of the accumulated knowledge of the last few centuries? It looks like that demo-liberal fantasyland where if you ban guns they disappear and if you take them away, they are so mysterious and magical that ordinary humans won't be able to make more. Nobody, even the uncle who seems to be some type of action guy, has a revolver? Even the muzzleloader guys seem to have forgotten revolver technology and use swords and single shot rifles. really? Even for major network TV, I am not impressed. Jericho was a much better version of this scenario.

Nobody can generate electricity? really? never heard of steam? Never seen moving water turn a wheel?

Last edited by Bren; 09-17-2012 at 17:30..
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 18:29   #97
mrmedina
NRA Member

I commented when the thread came out. But now I'm just curious the initial SHTF/unknown EMP. Of what happens. Maybe some ideas will pop up of what to prep for. I'm not expecting major information, just some food thought show scenes.

Big Dawg #1406, Sub Club #104
Kalashnikov Klub# 1105, Black Rifle Forum #1105
mrmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 19:22   #98
quake

Quote:
...apparently the civilian ownership of a firearm is a hangable offense.
a la bunraku... http://www.bunrakuthemovie.com/

Not a great movie, but for some reason I liked it more than I probably should have.

Quote:
...like Jericho I think they are going to write themselves in a corner real fast.
Most likely a sound prediction imo. Shame because viewers are receptive and ready for a good 'shtf' series (walking dead, falling skies, jericho, jeremiah, etc), but like jericho & jeremiah, this one will likely have lots of unexplored potential.

Guess that's what happens when prepper-mockers write prepper fiction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjv View Post
True. I'm down to probably 3 years' toothpaste & 12years' razor blades (my razor blades aren't as commonly available as toothpasts).

I better get of the sidelines & get with it...

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 22:04   #99
Lone Kimono

Jericho would have been really good if they had a season 3. That war would have been interesting!

The show was alright, but I do think they will write themselves into a corner. It makes me want to buy a sword!
Lone Kimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 22:14   #100
Chuck TX
CLM Number 243
Charter Lifetime Member

It's no Jericho, that's for sure. Jericho may have had its slip ups and unrealistic faults, but at least it didn't have all the planes fall out of the sky in a flat spin.