Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2012, 19:30   #1
1canvas

new speer 7 petal .45 200grn+P

I have seen in internet discussions that the Speer GD 200grn +P [six petal] was an inconsistant performer. I also see that that load now has a 7 petal bullet. not trusting internet info I was hoping you might be able to give me some reliable info of any kind on either the old six petal or the new 7 petal ammo. this has been my carry ammo for years. I just can't see Speer putting out any ammo that wasn't top notch stuff.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 17:49   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

The older pre-Gold Dot Speer 200 grain, a/k/a "the flying ashtray," proved to be an excellent manstopper even when it didn't expand, which it usually did if run to 1000 fps or a +P level of 1050. One of the latter, a Cor-Bon load, was the first .45 bullet I saw expand to a full inch in the slaughterhouse.

By the time that load was replaced with the 200 grain Gold Dot, the market on both police and civilian sides had gone heavily toward 230 grain, not only with the Gold Dot but with "serious " .45 ACP ammo across the board. Therefore, shootings with the 200 grain Gold Dot are hard to find, while there have been enough to earn the 230 grain Gold Dot a very good reputation.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 20:08   #3
1canvas

I have been thinking of moveing to the 230grn Gold Dot and HST and now I think I will.
thank you.
1canvas is offline   Reply With Quote