Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 07-24-2014, 09:02   #1
JimmyN

How many here had a digital LED watch?

I was watching Columbo on Netflix last night and the "suspect" had an LED watch, remember those?

They had an all black face and screen and when you pressed the button the digits would light up in red. Although high tech and very trendy at the time they were a real pain, but it was a DIGITAL watch, so you overlooked the inconvenience of wearing it. At least for a while.

First problem was that it required both hands to check the time, you couldn't just look at it, you had to push the button to light the digits. Which lead to the second problem, they would go through batteries like popcorn at the movies if you checked the time frequently. That's why the display wasn't always on, the battery probably wouldn't have lasted a whole day. I used one for a couple of months and got tired of the hassle and went back to a $6.95 Timex, which would "take a licking and keep on ticking", at least till the crystal was so scratched up you couldn't see the hands anymore.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:18   #2
Dennis in MA
Get off my lawn

My uncle had one. Had the "face" on the side. The rest was the size of a regular digital watch of today. HUGE! It was gold. I wish I snagged it from him those many years ago.

By the time I was in Jr. High, they had the calculator watches. I had to take my watch off before math tests. LOL
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23   #3
Bruce M

I remember them but never had one. It never seemed especially practical. Perhaps I was a bit skeptical from a red LED calculator that went through its battery charge quickly.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.

Last edited by Bruce M; 07-24-2014 at 09:24..
Bruce M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:19   #4
TBO
CLM Number 122
Why so serious?

I had one. Cool factor only, and once it wore off, the watch sat for a good old analog.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Copatalk

"If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters".

"A person who won't reason has no advantage over one who can't reason."

"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."

“Ignorance is a lot like alcohol: the more you have of it, the less you are able to see its effect on you.”

Originally Posted by Rooster Rugburn:
Didn't the whole sheepdog thing actually start right here on Glock Talk? A bunch of wannabees bought a bunch of T-shirts and took an oath to defend those who won't defend themselves?
TBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:28   #5
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Was that the one with the tuning fork in the ads? Pulsar, maybe?
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:31   #6
fnfalman
Chicks Dig It

I remembered those watches. I also remembered thinking they were pretty ghey back then too.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:33   #7
WESTLAW13

Fairchild Semiconductor

I was in a class at Fairchild Semiconductor in Silicon Valley in the late 1970's and the instructor was saying Fairchild LED Digital watches were now for sale to employees. I was amazed and in awe at that time. Wow a digital watch. LED's. It was pricey I think $200.00 or so. A year or so later Timex came out with a LED digital watch with a plastic case and band. I think it was around $30.00. Now a computer, GPS, phone, and a watch in your pocket for $200.00 with 2-year contract of course. Only Gene Roddenberry and Mr. Spock could have predicted it.
WESTLAW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:35   #8
Angry Fist
Lifetime Membership
The Original®

Your parents didn't buy you a Rolex for school every year? Peasants.
I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ass-kickers, s**t-kickers, Methodists, and the GTDS.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
Angry Fist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:59   #9
ChuteTheMall
HildabeastHater

The Okie Corral

EDIT: Oops, that's an LCD watch, not LED. Nevermind.
"He said he fired a burst at the chest and if they didn't fall fast enough, he fired a burst at the face. He never needed to reload and had enough on board so if he missed a shot or two he could catch up in the fight. " -Gabe Suarez, 2008

Last edited by ChuteTheMall; 07-24-2014 at 12:28..
ChuteTheMall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:17   #10
9jeeps
Fogey

I was given one as a surprise. Gold Pulsar. For her I wore it. After the first day I was sick of having to push a button to see the time. On a bright day you also had to find or make shade to read the stupid thing. After we separated,,,, One day I ask her what did she do with that watch.
She told me she threw it in the river!!! I think she paid like $695 for it. Yeah, she had a real good job at the time. That watch was an attention getter for sure.

And there was nothing ghey about it. That word didn't even exist at that time.... But Homo's and Gay's were just coming into vogue. Disco was in and drugs were starting to boom.
9jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:19   #11
devildog2067

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyN View Post
I was watching Columbo on Netflix last night and the "suspect" had an LED watch, remember those?
Roger Moore's Bond famously wore a Hamilton Pulsar in Live and Let Die, which was an early 70's movie.

The Okie Corral
devildog2067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:31   #12
pipedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalchmai View Post
Was that the one with the tuning fork in the ads? Pulsar, maybe?
Are you thinking of the Bulova Accutron watch that had a resonating tuning fork to regulate the time. They came out back around 1960 or so. I still have mine but it hasn't worked for years, was a heavy watch.

Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up.
pipedreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 12:42   #13
gwalchmai
Lucky Member

Yeah, that's probably it. Amazing how tech destroys value.
gwalchmai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 13:38   #14
wjv

Still have it. . . But haven't used it in years. It's a Hughes Aircraft Company's Calculator Watch. Now days they sell for $500+ if you can find one.

The Okie Corral

And it's a Commander Adama approved watch!!

The Okie Corral

Now days I just wear a Seiko Solar with an analog dial. . .Best inexpensive ($100) watch I've ever owned.

The urge to save humanity is almost always a false-face for the urge to rule it.
- H. L. Mencken -

Last edited by wjv; 07-24-2014 at 13:42..
wjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 13:54   #15
aircarver
Silver Membership
Ride Continues

Never had a LED watch, but I still have a couple of Melcor calculators from the period ... (Regular and scientific ... still work, too)

As noted, they ate batteries, and gave way to blue plasma display, and then LCDs.

They'd created a vast, permanently unemployed underclass, dependent upon the Republic's stupendous welfare machine for its very existence, and in so doing, they'd sown the seeds of their own destruction. No one could place two-thirds of a world's population on the Dole and keep them there forever without the entire system crashing . . . but how in hell did one get them off the Dole? -David Weber, Flag in Exile
aircarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 14:17   #16
deputy tom

My Dad had a gold Bulova Computron LED watch back in the 1970's. He had his initials engraved on the top. Very cool at the time. My BIL had the Radio Shack LED with calculator. He was a nerdy guy but I liked him. I had a cheap-o black plastic LED, Texas Instruments series 500. Just dug it out. I need 2 10L124 batteries and I'm back in business. tom.

SPES MEA IN DEO EST

Thig crioch air an t-saoghal ach mairidh gaol agus cẹl The world will come to an end but music and love will endure

Last edited by deputy tom; 07-24-2014 at 15:17..
deputy tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 14:39   #17
M2 Carbine

I wore them for some years, a Timex.
I think they cost about $14.00.

Funny thing was,

another pilot had a high dollar Rolex and we started checking the accuracy between the two watches.
The $14 Timex was more accurate than the expensive Rolex.
M2 Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 14:46   #18
rangerhgm
NRA Member

Yeah....being my age I've had several....Even my first calculator from Sears was LED.....and it dis all 4 functions.....+ - * /
Old 07-24-2014, 14:48   #19
Jack_Pine
CLM Number 257
Charter Lifetime Member

I had one, got it for Christmas. I was very careful with it. So careful that when I drove a forklift I put it in my pocket so I did not bang it while on my wrist.

Two weeks after I got it a route driver whose truck I was loading handed me a handful of led watch parts. It fell out of my pocket and I ran over it. I was bummed at the time.
Old 07-24-2014, 15:07   #20
Rizzo
Garbage Day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis in MA View Post
My uncle had one. Had the "face" on the side. The rest was the size of a regular digital watch of today. HUGE! It was gold. I wish I snagged it from him those many years ago.

By the time I was in Jr. High, they had the calculator watches. I had to take my watch off before math tests. LOL
When I was in HS in the mid '90's, there was a certain watch that you could get at (I think) The Sharper Image that doubled as a remote control for TV's and VCR's. This one kid showed up with one to class one day and had quite the blast with the teacher, who was trying to make us watch some stupid school movie. Having no idea about these watches, she about lost her nut trying to figure out why the TV kept turning off.