Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-03-2012, 18:52   #41
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
That they're selling replacement handles on the same page as the 'hawk doesn't bode well for durability.
The reason they sell replacement handles is most people that buy hawks throw them. Nothing to do with general use durability.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 19:32   #42
NBT

The PBC-1, a "slight" variation to the Tomahawk... with a side of crash axe...and dash of last ditch defensive weapon.
6 3/4" black 1095 carbon steel head, 7 1/2" overall, skeletonized handle, G-10 scales, lanyard, MOLLE compatible Kydex sheath. Made in U.S.A.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
http://pbcutlery.com/

I actually have an Estwing 16" campers axe.

Last edited by NBT; 06-03-2012 at 19:35..
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 16:14   #43
sabre66

It's not a fair comparison really. Each tool has it's own purpose and abilities. A knife can do things a Hatchet/Tomahawk or Gun cannot and vice versa. A charging bear...gun wins; cutting firewood...hatchet/tomahawk wins; cutting rope or preparing meals...knife wins. Best thing in my mind is to have one of each

In a survival situation if I could only have one tool for the job I'd take a solidly built Tactical Tomahawk. Better striking ability, more force for chopping or breaking, and much better for digging when needed.

Last edited by sabre66; 07-14-2012 at 16:21..
sabre66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 23:54   #44
Unistat

Kind of an old thread, but I plan to get one of these soon.

Old 11-14-2012, 00:26   #45
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
I'll wager most will show you how to open a beer with one.
I know a few Indians that can show you how to open a head and/or chest cavity with one.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05   #46
countrygun

My dad had one of these and a tail goes with it. I looked for years to find one of my own of the same brand.

A couple of years ago I got into the classic outdoor books and found the "Nessamuk" type to put in my saddle bag, along with the knife. the gun rides on my hip of course.

Last edited by countrygun; 11-14-2012 at 01:08..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26   #47
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
I know a few Indians that can show you how to open a head and/or chest cavity with one.

Yes. But what do they know?

And it never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded some people are when it comes to tools.

I choose to learn how to use many tools. And I choose to keep my body strong, my mind sharp and open.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 00:21   #48
I Shooter

I am very weight concerned when it comes to packing tools. I pack a ax with the hammer head on one side and the ax on the other. It is lighter than any thing you can buy, such as a dry wall hammer or camping ax. The truckers ax looks like a beast to pack. It looks like it could be used to break in to Fort Knox.

I use mine for driving stakes in to the ground. Cutting tent poles, wood for the fire and many other things that has to be chopped.

I know that a bigger or true ax would work better, but I don't want to have to carry one in my pack.

As to using one for self defense. I would be better off throwing rocks at some one. The same thing goes for a knife for me. I'm just not very good with one. I use it to skin stuff and cut stuff. That is one reason I don't buy big knives. For what I use them for a small one will do the trick.

We all use tools in a manner we learned weather it was from use or some one showed us how to do some thing. We have not all had the same teacher or learned the same way. We have all had different lives. That is what makes each of us look at things in a different way. It don't mean that I am wrong or that you are. It means that we just don't want to get our bags mixed up.

Last edited by I Shooter; 11-16-2012 at 02:16..
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11   #49
cowboy1964

cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:29   #50
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shooter View Post
I am very weight concerned when it comes to packing tools. I pack a ax with the hammer head on one side and the ax on the other. It is lighter than any thing you can buy, such as a dry wall hammer or camping ax. The truckers ax looks like a beast to pack. It looks like it could be used to break in to Fort Knox.

I use mine for driving stakes in to the ground. Cutting tent poles, wood for the fire and many other things that has to be chopped.

I know that a bigger or true ax would work better, but I don't want to have to carry one in my pack.

As to using one for self defense. I would be better off throwing rocks at some one. The same thing goes for a knife for me. I'm just not very good with one. I use it to skin stuff and cut stuff. That is one reason I don't buy big knives. For what I use them for a small one will do the trick.

We all use tools in a manner we learned weather it was from use or some one showed us how to do some thing. We have not all had the same teacher or learned the same way. We have all had different lives. That is what makes each of us look at things in a different way. It don't mean that I am wrong or that you are. It means that we just don't want to get our bags mixed up.

Expand your skill set.

Unless you are unteachable or a quitter, you can learn, can you not?

Skills are gained through learning and practice.

When you stop either you grow old and stale.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Old 11-17-2012, 20:01   #51
I Shooter

Bravo 1 I am quite happy with my skill set. I hunt, fish, shoot, take care of a garden and travel to see some of this great country. I am retired ( 62 ) and have no desire to learn to throw a knife or ax.

Because hunting season started to day. Here on my desk sits a Glock 36 ( all ways with me), a Ruger 44 mag and on the side of the desk sits a slug gun. Now if I had to defend my self or wife I think I could do it and I would not have to touch the skinner that is stuck on the pack behind me or one of the three folding knives sitting on the desk.The ax would be hard to get to because it's inside the pack. So it would be of no use at all.

Last edited by I Shooter; 11-17-2012 at 20:06..
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 13:41   #52
FireForged
Millenium #3936

Quote:

I feel the same way.. I have all manner of knives and have carried them with me all over. In the past 40 years I have used knives to cut cord or prepare meat out in the woods, thats about it. If I am having to use a knife, hammer, axe as a weapon, several significant failures have already occured. I would rather focus my efforts on making sure that I dont have to end up using a knife to defend myself rather than trying to prepare myself for that failure. To that end, I trypically have at least a small 38special revolver in my pocket.

Last edited by FireForged; 11-18-2012 at 13:42..
FireForged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:37   #53
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Bravo 1 I am quite happy with my skill set. I hunt, fish, shoot, take care of a garden and travel to see some of this great country. I am retired ( 62 ) and have no desire to learn to throw a knife or ax.

Because hunting season started to day. Here on my desk sits a Glock 36 ( all ways with me), a Ruger 44 mag and on the side of the desk sits a slug gun. Now if I had to defend my self or wife I think I could do it and I would not have to touch the skinner that is stuck on the pack behind me or one of the three folding knives sitting on the desk.The ax would be hard to get to because it's inside the pack. So it would be of no use at all.

Glad to know you have mastered the needed skill sets.

I'm still working on expanding mine.

Old 11-20-2012, 16:32   #54
Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
I have used a tomahawk on deer and its adequate.

At what distance???
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 17:35   #55
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrsequipment View Post

Name a handheld weapon that you would choose to stop a threat instead of a gun.
Spear.

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote