Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-13-2012, 23:04   #26
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Yep, that's why I chose the more versatile trail hawk versus the spikey Trench hawk or even the SOG vietnam hawk.
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:39   #27
Tim808

To the op:
As others have mentioned, the trail hawk or similar.

If you don't really need the hammer, a machete or kukri may be more practical for s/d and as a tool. (A machete is also pretty cheap)

Please post up whatever you decide on....doesn't have to be practical....buying cool stuff is fun.....Good luck!
Tim808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:34   #28
Stevekozak
Returning video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
I'll wager most will show you how to open a beer with one.
Not sure if this is a dig at my red brethern or not, but it sure is funny!!! Gave me my first laugh for the day.

I don't know anything about 'hawks, having never even handled one, so I will not weigh in on the discussion.
Old 05-17-2012, 05:44   #29
BMH
Lifetime Membership

RMJ Tactical Tomahawk

I've thought about getting a tomahawk from RMJ Tactical. But $475 was way too steep for me.

http://www.rmjtactical.com/
Old 05-17-2012, 05:51   #30
Toyman

I don't carry this in my bug out bag, but on trips I keep it in the truck. It's called the Trucker's Friend. I found it at a truck stop for about $40.

I have used it quite a bit. It's quite sharp. The version I have is basically all chrome.

Survival/Preparedness Forum
Old 05-17-2012, 07:27   #31
mac66
Plant the seed

The reason frontiersmen carried tomahawks was because muzzle loading firearms were one shot, slow to reload and somewhat unreliable. That doesn't apply these days. One never hears of anyone using a tomahawk for self defense. In fact I bet you would have a hard time finding anyone, even in Iraq or Afghanistan who have actually used one for that purpose. They are cool and romantic but not very practical.

I would venture to say the more people are killed with regular old claw hammers than tomahawks these days.

Be that as it may, a modern equivalent of a hawk might just be a shingler's hammer, brick hammer, a dry wall hammer, rigger's axe or carpenters axe all of which are available at any big box hardware stores.

Last edited by mac66; 05-17-2012 at 14:21..
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:01   #32
quake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
...shingler's hammer, brick hammer, a dry wall hammer, rigger's axe or carpenters axe all of which are available at any big box hardware stores.
If considering for vehicle carry, a sheetrock hammer:

(especially an old, used one; maybe from a pawn shop), or roofing hammer, the Trucker's Friend, or even an old "official girl scout hatchet" may put a person in a much better place legally/civilly than carrying - and especially using - something sold as a "tactical war-hawk" or such.

"Only problem with women my own age, is they're so damn old." - my dad at 89...
quake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:08   #33
SPIN2010
Searching ...

I started carrying one in the car for places that are not really "gun" friendly:

http://sogknives.com/store/F01T-N.html

I find that this particular one is easy to conceal, handles well, and is a great defense weapon (if you know how to use it). I suggest a lanyard of some type if ungloved.
SPIN2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:24   #34
lawman800
Juris Glocktor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman View Post
I don't carry this in my bug out bag, but on trips I keep it in the truck. It's called the Trucker's Friend. I found it at a truck stop for about $40.

I have used it quite a bit. It's quite sharp. The version I have is basically all chrome.

All chromed out? Are you a rapper?
lawman800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 15:21   #35
Carry16

I bought a hand made hawk from a young fellow at a local gun show. It was made here in Missouri and was top quality construction. Stays in the safe, but it's more than capable if the need came along. He demonstrated it by cutting 16 penny nails with no marks or nicks to the blade. Scroll down to the Woodsman

http://www.2hawks.net/AHAWKS.html
Carry16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 18:55   #36
auto-5

Here this has everything you want with the added benefit of the ability to put on a roof.

auto-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 21:31   #37
AK_Stick
AAAMAD

Send a message via AIM to AK_Stick Send a message via Yahoo to AK_Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac66 View Post
The reason frontiersmen carried tomahawks was because muzzle loading firearms were one shot, slow to reload and somewhat unreliable. That doesn't apply these days. One never hears of anyone using a tomahawk for self defense. In fact I bet you would have a hard time finding anyone, even in Iraq or Afghanistan who have actually used one for that purpose. They are cool and romantic but not very practical.

While not extremely popular, there have been atleast a few casualties due to tomahawks in the OIF/OEF deployment.

Hadji, dislikes hawks more than he dislikes pistols.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children may have peace"
AK_Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:32   #38
sebecman

They are fun to throw at targets.

I used to be a fair hand at double bit axe throwing matches and have thrown tomahawks as well, though never in competition as there was never a catagory for them in my state.
sebecman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 17:34   #39
Cwlongshot

Well I picked up the trench hawk cause well I like the looks.

BUT in light of some of the other comments I ran across this today in Home Depot. It was 30$.

CW
Old 06-03-2012, 18:12   #40
Ruble Noon
"Cracker"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cwlongshot View Post
Well I picked up the trench hawk cause well I like the looks.

CW
Let us know how it holds up. That they're selling replacement handles on the same page as the 'hawk doesn't bode well for durability.
Ruble Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 18:52   #41
Bushflyr
ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
That they're selling replacement handles on the same page as the 'hawk doesn't bode well for durability.
The reason they sell replacement handles is most people that buy hawks throw them. Nothing to do with general use durability.

That which does not kill you has made a tactical error. --Tayler
Bushflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 19:32   #42
NBT

The PBC-1, a "slight" variation to the Tomahawk... with a side of crash axe...and dash of last ditch defensive weapon.
6 3/4" black 1095 carbon steel head, 7 1/2" overall, skeletonized handle, G-10 scales, lanyard, MOLLE compatible Kydex sheath. Made in U.S.A.

http://pbcutlery.com/

I actually have an Estwing 16" campers axe.

Last edited by NBT; 06-03-2012 at 19:35..
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 16:14   #43
sabre66

It's not a fair comparison really. Each tool has it's own purpose and abilities. A knife can do things a Hatchet/Tomahawk or Gun cannot and vice versa. A charging bear...gun wins; cutting firewood...hatchet/tomahawk wins; cutting rope or preparing meals...knife wins. Best thing in my mind is to have one of each

In a survival situation if I could only have one tool for the job I'd take a solidly built Tactical Tomahawk. Better striking ability, more force for chopping or breaking, and much better for digging when needed.

Last edited by sabre66; 07-14-2012 at 16:21..
sabre66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 22:54   #44
Unistat

Kind of an old thread, but I plan to get one of these soon.

Old 11-13-2012, 23:26   #45
Clutch Cargo
Amsterdam Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
I'll wager most will show you how to open a beer with one.
I know a few Indians that can show you how to open a head and/or chest cavity with one.
Old 11-14-2012, 00:05   #46
countrygun

My dad had one of these and a tail goes with it. I looked for years to find one of my own of the same brand.

A couple of years ago I got into the classic outdoor books and found the "Nessamuk" type to put in my saddle bag, along with the knife. the gun rides on my hip of course.

Last edited by countrygun; 11-14-2012 at 00:08..
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26   #47
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Cargo View Post
I know a few Indians that can show you how to open a head and/or chest cavity with one.

Yes. But what do they know?

And it never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded some people are when it comes to tools.

I choose to learn how to use many tools. And I choose to keep my body strong, my mind sharp and open.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 23:21   #48
I Shooter

I am very weight concerned when it comes to packing tools. I pack a ax with the hammer head on one side and the ax on the other. It is lighter than any thing you can buy, such as a dry wall hammer or camping ax. The truckers ax looks like a beast to pack. It looks like it could be used to break in to Fort Knox.

I use mine for driving stakes in to the ground. Cutting tent poles, wood for the fire and many other things that has to be chopped.

I know that a bigger or true ax would work better, but I don't want to have to carry one in my pack.

As to using one for self defense. I would be better off throwing rocks at some one. The same thing goes for a knife for me. I'm just not very good with one. I use it to skin stuff and cut stuff. That is one reason I don't buy big knives. For what I use them for a small one will do the trick.

We all use tools in a manner we learned weather it was from use or some one showed us how to do some thing. We have not all had the same teacher or learned the same way. We have all had different lives. That is what makes each of us look at things in a different way. It don't mean that I am wrong or that you are. It means that we just don't want to get our bags mixed up.

Last edited by I Shooter; 11-16-2012 at 01:16..
I Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11   #49
cowboy1964

cowboy1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:29   #50
Bravo 1
CLM Number 143
Serious Infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Shooter View Post
I am very weight concerned when it comes to packing tools. I pack a ax with the hammer head on one side and the ax on the other. It is lighter than any thing you can buy, such as a dry wall hammer or camping ax. The truckers ax looks like a beast to pack. It looks like it could be used to break in to Fort Knox.

I use mine for driving stakes in to the ground. Cutting tent poles, wood for the fire and many other things that has to be chopped.

I know that a bigger or true ax would work better, but I don't want to have to carry one in my pack.

As to using one for self defense. I would be better off throwing rocks at some one. The same thing goes for a knife for me. I'm just not very good with one. I use it to skin stuff and cut stuff. That is one reason I don't buy big knives. For what I use them for a small one will do the trick.

We all use tools in a manner we learned weather it was from use or some one showed us how to do some thing. We have not all had the same teacher or learned the same way. We have all had different lives. That is what makes each of us look at things in a different way. It don't mean that I am wrong or that you are. It means that we just don't want to get our bags mixed up.

Expand your skill set.

Unless you are unteachable or a quitter, you can learn, can you not?

Skills are gained through learning and practice.

When you stop either you grow old and stale.

"Don't toy with me Ernie,I've already dispatched with Mr. Hooper,I've got six armed men stationed outside Big Birds nest,and as for Linda? Well its rather difficult for a deaf woman to hear an assasin approach now isn't it?-Stewy
Bravo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote