Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-10-2012, 18:43   #1
OldArcher
Gospel Carrier

S&W Governor- best of 7 calibers for defense loads...

Good Evening, Mas,

I just purchased four of S&W's superb Governors. As you're well aware, it was designed for .45 acp, .45 Colt, and 2 1/2" .410 GA. Additional findings show that it can also use .45 S&W, .45 Short Colt, .45 Auto Rim, and yes, even the .45 GAP.

Primarily, I'm concerned with your experienced opinion of the .45 Colt offerings... I'm torn between the Federal Classic 225gr Lead SWC HP, and Hornady's superb 185gr Critical Defense round. Either can do the job of incapacitating an assailant, but most aren't aware that the Governor has a 2.75" barrel... The differentiation of test data based upon much longer barrels, and this, rather large snubbie, could be considerable in size... For my bedside weapon, I have a suppressed .45acp G21 w/TLR-2, and 17rd Arredondo mag, and 185gr Corbon SCHPs. AND another Governor with six .410 PDX-1 Self Defense rounds...

Which would you choose, the Federal 225gr SWCHP, or the Hornady 185gr Critical Defense, out of the 2.75" barrel?

Thanks for your time and kind consideration, Sir.

May you and yours always be well, safe, happy, and forever, free...

OldArcher, out...
"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
OldArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 19:14   #2
Mas Ayoob
KoolAidAntidote

Personally, in a defensive load for the .45 Colt, I'd go with the Winchester Silvertip. That said, though, in a Governor I'd be more happy with a more street-proven load, which would bring me to one of the high tech .45 ACP rounds in fast-reloading moon clips.

Sounds like you've got a pretty well-protected household.

best,
Mas
Mas Ayoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 20:02   #3
OldArcher
Gospel Carrier

Thanks, Mas!

Thank-you, Sir. Did some reading on the NRA website, and saw a review of the Governor. Very informative. I think you're right on the .45 acp. Someone rated it in another article, used in the Judge. Said that the Winchester PDX1, used with full-moon clips, would be ideal, rather than the more expensive .45 Colt rounds... In those, they recommended the PDX1, in the .45 Colt...

You psychic, Mas? LOL, thanks for the insight.

May you and yours always be well, safe, happy, and forever, free...

OA, out...
"Confess with your mouth, that 'Jesus is Lord,' believing in your heart that God raised Him from the Dead, and you will be saved, for with the heart, man believes and is justified, and with his profession of faith, he is saved." Romans 10:9-10.
OldArcher is offline   Reply With Quote