SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2012, 14:14   #1
wallacefan

Dies

what are the best die sets to use?
i want some with the locking rings so i can setup only once.

i am reloading 7.62x39
7.62x54r 9mm and 5.56

thanx
wallacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:32   #2
F106 Fan

Best in what sense?

Are you just doing bulk reloading? If so, just about any die set will work. RCBS, Dillon, Hornady and Lee will work. As will Redding and any of the others. Google for 'reloading dies'. You can get some pistol sets for $35 and I just found rifle sets for < $20.

Are you doing precision rifle? Redding makes some nice competition dies as do the other manufacturers. These competition dies and die sets tend to be well north of $100

Loading on a progressive press? I like the Dillon dies because they can be disassembled and cleaned without losing adjustment.

It all gets down to what you want to accomplish. I loaded .223 and .308 with RCBS dies for quite a while. I am now trying to build a little better ammo so I am using Redding dies for .308. I also want a little faster production of .223 ammo so I am using Dillon dies and a 550B press.

Richard
Old 05-08-2012, 14:51   #3
wallacefan

basic target shooting
going to start on rcbs single stage press
wallacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:57   #4
fredj338

No real best, only diff. Lee are fine, replace the lock rings. I prefer Redding or Hornady when looking @ rifle dies. RCBS makes trhe 'X' die which eliminates mutliple case trimming, bonus.
FWIW, loading for 7.62x39 is going to be expensive compared to others because boxer primerd brass is not readily available & there are few if any cheap bullet supplies. Not to mention & doubt a AK or SKS benefits much from a well preapred handload, JMO.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-08-2012 at 14:58..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:06   #5
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacefan View Post
basic target shooting
going to start on rcbs single stage press

I have a lot of RCBS die sets and they have always worked fine. Lee is another, cheaper, candidate.

Make sure your pistol resizing die is carbide (and spray the cases with Hornady One-Shot anyway) while the rifle dies can be regular steel since you will have to use some kind of case lube. I use Dillon but there are others around like Imperial Die Wax. RCBS has lube and a pad for applying it.

There is really no good reason to stray away from the RCBS catalog/site. Everything you need is there and it's pretty good stuff.

If you are shooting 9mm out of a Glock, you might want to use a Lee resizing die. It sizes just a little farther down the case. You DO NOT need the Lee FCD (Factory Crimp Die) for anything. Save the money.

You're not going to go wrong if you just stick with RCBS and, possibly, the Lee 9mm sizing die.

Richard
Old 05-08-2012, 15:58   #6
Three-Five-Seven
Señor Mombo

Because of the unique way that necks are sized/expanded, Forster dies seem to offer a performance advantage for precision shooters. Redding are next best, usually. Hornady are close to Redding and offer some significant convenience advantages. Lee are often much better performers than their price suggests. RCBS are trouble prone, but the customer service offered by that company often makes up for any problems and results in a great set of dies. Dillon is somewhere on that list, near the top.

My shooting buddies and I have been migrating to Forster and Wilson dies and feel there are significant performance advantages to these two brands -- for precision shooting.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:46   #7
stevelyn
NRA Life Member

I consider Redding and Forster to be top of the line, but I also have had no complaints about ammo loaded with Lee dies either.
Usually sufferers of paraphilic infantilism are proud of their condition. Kinda like being a liberal. Your mental flaws are there for the entire world to see, and you're damned proud of it. - tank_monkey
stevelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:07   #8
shotgunred
reloading nut

I personally like to seat and crimp in separate stations. So I prefer to stick with dillon dies.
and motivated by pride and vanity.
shotgunred is offline   Reply With Quote