Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:41   #1
Apetrulis01

Which one: Colt LE6940 or Sig 516

I am going to be getting a new AR and have narrowed it down to two; either the Colt LE6940 or the Sig 516.

Both have rails, flip up front and rear sights, 1 in 7 barrels, chromed lined barrels, and same price. The only difference is a piston vs. and DI.

So, which one would you go with and why. It will be used for three gun and patrol work (Deputy).

Thanks,
Adam

Deputy Sheriff: Duty Gun Glock 22, S&W Magpul Midlength 16" AR, Remington 870, Glock 27, BUG: Ruger LCP
Apetrulis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:01   #2
Decguns

Pick which ever one you like best. Doesn't really matter what we think.

Just FYI... the Army just gave up trying to find a piston driven upper to modernize the M4. They're closing down the M4 PIP and M4 replacement studies. Hence... new M4A1 contract with Remington.
Old 05-08-2012, 14:08   #3
Navitimer

Both are outstanding AR-style rifles. I love both Colt and Sig Sauer. Out of the two you mentioned, I would go with the Colt, but that's just my personal preference. I have the Sig in .22LR (522 SWAT version) and like the ergonomics, but prefer the traditional AR ergonomics a bit better. That's why I say go with the Colt. The piston vs. DI is a non-issue for me. This is just my opinion, but as others have stated I think the piston ARs are a solution for a problem that doesn't really exist. I've sent a ton of rounds down range from my Daniel Defense AR and never had the bolt carrier group get so dirty as to cause any concern. As long as you do your part and keep the rifle clean and in good shooting condition, I believe you'll be fine. Hope this helps! Enjoy your search, and please post some pics when you've decided!
Navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 14:39   #4
iflyem1

I have the Colt 6920 and I love it. DI is pretty much all you need anyway, unless your running full auto. Then piston will run cooler in the bolt and less fowling. I am a LEO and my agency uses Colt's with three round burst capability. Both are excellent platforms so it really is a personal preference.
iflyem1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 15:02   #5
CLoft239
I Like Turtles

Go with which ever rifle you like best. The internet is filled with false information, and opinions fueled by egos. I carry a Bushmaster M4 for duty carry, which is my privately owned rifle, and I absolutely love it. The internet gun gurus consider it a sub-par rifle. After putting 3K rounds thru it in 2 days (I couldn't even do that with my colt in Iraq) without a single malfunction, I trust my life with it.

Regardless of brand, you have to determine on your own what suites your needs & tastes. The internet is filled with "experts" that base their decisions off of whatever information will pad their egos and make them feel better about themselves.

If it works for you, you're happy with it, and you feel that you can trust your life on it, then that's all that matters.

Best of luck to you, in finding a rifle that suits your needs & wants! Don't let the internet hype influence your decision.

"We would never learn how to be brave and patient if there were only joy in the world" - Hellen Keller

Last edited by CLoft239; 05-08-2012 at 15:13..
CLoft239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 16:16   #6
Apetrulis01

I have an rifle. It is a Rock river Lower with a BCM Upper. The internet people you have been mentioning think I am crazy to give up that upper, but there is a few reasons why.

Medium/heavy barrel, running k-9 tracks for 2 hours makes it very heavy.

Fixed front sight, want a folding front sight so I can run a 1-4x for three gun and I like my sights low so the fixed front sight was not working.

All the internet people see is the BCM and not may problem. So both of these rifles are lighter, quality, and have the folding front sight. So I am going back and forth and was just seeing the opinions of others. I have handled both and like both.

Thanks for all those that have replied so far and keep them coming.

Deputy Sheriff: Duty Gun Glock 22, S&W Magpul Midlength 16" AR, Remington 870, Glock 27, BUG: Ruger LCP
Old 05-08-2012, 16:57   #7
battlin bulldog
sand

Colt. I will never trust a sig long gun after i owned the 556. Just how i feel personaly. Go with the one you like the most. But my vote is colt by a long shot.
Old 05-08-2012, 17:38   #8
mixflip

Ask most gun guys who owned both piston & DI (me being on of those guys) and they will tell you just buy what tickles your pickle. They both have strengths & weakness's. Both are great at poking holes in paper and poking holes in home invaders if thats the top 2 duties the gun will be used for.

If you are ever planning on taking a hard core carbine course... I'd personally go with the Colt. When I go to my LE carbine class I will be running a DI. just a personal preference.

Paul Howe (the former Delta operator and owner/instructor of CSAT has a few piston guns in his school. He likes the PWS MK114)
mixflip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 18:05   #9
WoodenPlank
Who?

Colt by a mile. Better build quality, more readily available replacement parts, and piston in an AR is a solution looking for a problem.
Old 05-08-2012, 20:22   #10
airflyer

I have both rifles I think it's funny how everyone compares the 516 to a sig 522 or 556 totally different guns . The 516 is a very nice gun both will handle your needs .
airflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 20:31   #11
Apetrulis01

Quote:
Originally Posted by airflyer View Post
I have both rifles I think it's funny how everyone compares the 516 to a sig 522 or 556 totally different guns . The 516 is a very nice gun both will handle your needs .
Ever shoot frangible through the 516?

Adam

Old 05-08-2012, 20:43   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by airflyer View Post
Comparison to the 522 is short-sighted, but the 516 uses a modified SIG 556 gas piston system, so comparisons there are somewhat relevant.

Full auto, suppressed, short barrel - if you need two things from that list, then you might see a serious benefit from a gas piston AR. All three combined can really benefit from it. If not, though, then I see zero reason to run a gas piston AR, unless you're OCD about clean guns.

Buy the Colt, keep it lubed, and shoot the crap out of it.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:02   #13
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Either are going to be just fine. Get the one that YOU want.

If it was my choice, I'd go for the Colt.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:13   #14
Glock40man

I'd go for the Colt.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:48   #15
Rancher

Does your department allow optics on your patrol rifle? Just asking cause some do not and that may help you decide if you even want the front flip-up sight.

I just bought a Colt M4 LE6920 to go with my 16 and 20 inch Colt H Bar's. I thought about the 6940 but could not justify the extra money as well as not knowing if I would like having the monolithic upper down the road.

Personally I like both rifles you are talking about but am biased with 3 Colt AR's so the Colt get's my vote.

Go over to AR15.com and get some reviews of both. Going to be six one half-dozen the other. I had really wanted a piston AR but as someone here said why fix what is not broken.

Rancher
Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 09:17   #16
TalkToTheGlock
Zombie Hunter

Colt all the way.
TalkToTheGlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 10:10   #17
Apetrulis01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancher View Post
Does your department allow optics on your patrol rifle? Just asking cause some do not and that may help you decide if you even want the front flip-up sight.

I just bought a Colt M4 LE6920 to go with my 16 and 20 inch Colt H Bar's. I thought about the 6940 but could not justify the extra money as well as not knowing if I would like having the monolithic upper down the road.

Personally I like both rifles you are talking about but am biased with 3 Colt AR's so the Colt get's my vote.

Go over to AR15.com and get some reviews of both. Going to be six one half-dozen the other. I had really wanted a piston AR but as someone here said why fix what is not broken.

Rancher
Yes they allow optics, I am running an aimpoint right now on my current AR. But this rifle is also going to pull double duty in three gun and I want to have a 1-4x on it, thus the flip up front sight.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:11   #18
Apetrulis01

Thanks for all those who have replied so far.

Adam

Old 05-09-2012, 17:52   #19
boomhower

The Colt is far and away the better gun but I hate the mono upper on it, the sites aren't anything to write home about either. I'd get a 6920 and add the rail of your choice.
boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:58   #20
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

I wouldn't own a Sig rifle, but the 6940 is one of my least favorite Colt offerings.
For the last time

Last edited by NeverMore1701; 05-09-2012 at 17:58..
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote