GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 18:29   #51
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,140
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
I have chrono'd DoubleTap's 125gr Sierra 357Sig load out of a Glock 23 with a 4" Storm Lake drop-in barrel. Averaged ~ 1452fps but the extreme spread was like 130fps or thereabouts. IIRC the lowest was 1388 and the highest around 1510 or so (this is from memory but I did post the results here at the time).

Nonetheless, I would use that load without question.

ETA---looked it up and the low was 1388 and the high was 1542 for an extreme spread of 154fps! I was correct about the average velocity though of 1452.
That is my issue w/ many ammo manuf numbers. They get one gun to read a high vel & then post that as the ammo's vel. BS for the most part. It should always be an average & come from at least 3 duff guns. Then I might start believing them.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 18:47   #52
gunsmithlee
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 43
I think the .357sig was pretty cool when it came out. It had its hay-day, came and went. I know there are still departments out there who stock it, but I'm not seeing it on walmart shelves, and its expensive when you find it. That makes it one of those "specialty rounds" and if I want a necked down .35cal I figure might as well buy that Glock 10mm and drop a 9x25 dillon barrel in it. I believe Buffalo Bore and Double Tap both make it. Go check out those ballistics and get back to me.
gunsmithlee is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 18:55   #53
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
ETA---looked it up and the low was 1388 and the high was 1542 for an extreme spread of 154fps! I was correct about the average velocity though of 1452.
This extreme spread is why I like Speer, Federal, and Remington JHP self-defense ammo. The stats I've read on their ES numbers aren't nearly as wide, indicating better quality control.

It's critical that the first shot be accurate whatever the caliber (eliminating the which is the best caliber debate) so I want my carry ammo to be as consistent as possible. The numbers posted for DT's .357sig don't give me a problem since the low end certainly is normal caliber velocity, but I more often carry 9mm and prefer having more confidence in achieving acceptable velocity, where quality control definitely comes into play.

I don't remember the recent thread but Speer's .357sig ammo yielded a very narrow, consistent velocity spread. That's what I prefer.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 19:02   #54
unit1069
Senior Member
 
unit1069's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: So. Central US
Posts: 8,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmithlee View Post
I think the .357sig was pretty cool when it came out. It had its hay-day, came and went. I know there are still departments out there who stock it, but I'm not seeing it on walmart shelves, and its expensive when you find it. That makes it one of those "specialty rounds" and if I want a necked down .35cal I figure might as well buy that Glock 10mm and drop a 9x25 dillon barrel in it. I believe Buffalo Bore and Double Tap both make it. Go check out those ballistics and get back to me.
I believe .357sig is now the second-most issued state LEA caliber after the .40S&W, but that's from memory of a recent thread. Nevertheless, the cost of the 9X25 ammo is going to be higher and harder to find than .357sig.

As for "expensive" I was at Wal-Mart not an hour ago and the shelves are bare of nearly everything, with the prices of all ammo higher than it was a couple of months ago. Glad I stoked up on the 9mm and .357sig when I did.
__________________
Rocket Scientist
unit1069 is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 21:01   #55
dkf
Senior Member
 
dkf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,308
I reload .357sig with 124gr JHP bullet for a little over $131 per 1000 rounds. If you only buy ammo at walmart yeah your better off with another caliber. I never saw 10mm or 9x25 at any walmart I ever visited so....
dkf is online now  
Old 05-09-2012, 21:16   #56
pisc1024
Senior Member
 
pisc1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by glock20c10mm View Post
With 9, 40, or 45,...well...I'll just wish you luck with either of them forcing a perp to stop what they were doing before you squeezed one or two off that weren't CNS hits. Luckily much of the time they simply give up either upon them seeing you have a weapon or after being shot, of their own free will.

357SIG seems to have the possibility of being a different story as I've heard about it racking up more one shot stops in it's still relatively short life history than normally seems apparent with 9, 40, or 45.
Your smoking crack if you think that your 10mm will perform any better than a 9, 40, 45, or even a .357 sig in a SD situation. There is nothing magical about any of the SD cal's that includes 10mm and .357 sig.
pisc1024 is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 21:36   #57
WoodenPlank
Who?
 
WoodenPlank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmithlee View Post
I think the .357sig was pretty cool when it came out. It had its hay-day, came and went. I know there are still departments out there who stock it, but I'm not seeing it on walmart shelves, and its expensive when you find it. That makes it one of those "specialty rounds" and if I want a necked down .35cal I figure might as well buy that Glock 10mm and drop a 9x25 dillon barrel in it. I believe Buffalo Bore and Double Tap both make it. Go check out those ballistics and get back to me.
All of my local Wal-Marts still stock 357SIG, and so does the local Bass Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit1069 View Post
I believe .357sig is now the second-most issued state LEA caliber after the .40S&W, but that's from memory of a recent thread. Nevertheless, the cost of the 9X25 ammo is going to be higher and harder to find than .357sig.

As for "expensive" I was at Wal-Mart not an hour ago and the shelves are bare of nearly everything, with the prices of all ammo higher than it was a couple of months ago. Glad I stoked up on the 9mm and .357sig when I did.
Sounds about right to me. I know NC, VA, TN and TX all use it, along with US Secret Service, US Federal Air Marshal service, and plenty of others. 357SIG is definitely not dead in the water.
__________________
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
WoodenPlank is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 22:23   #58
breacher1
Senior Member
 
breacher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
Your opinion, probably based on your lack of skill w/ a magnum handgun. Who says you can't have accurate large caliber, magnum, accurate & rapid fire? You connect w/ good bullets from a 44magnum & you won't need 6 hits, not even 5, maybe not more than one. Just because you can't doesn't mean others can't. My only issue w/ anything larger than a N-frame 44mag is size & wt. Certainly not the ability to shoot it fast & accurate. BTWm first shot times w/ a 9mm or 44mag rev would be about the same so????
Okay Dirty Harry. You carry your Smith 29 boat anchor around and I'll stick with my puny Glock 23. Apparently you did not read my post very carefully before running your suck. You obviously have never been in a gunfight or probably even seen one. Hint- it's not anything like on TV or when you are playing with your X-box. And when was the last time you saw a professional competitive shooter win anything with a hand canon competing against fast accurate shooting from an autoloader in a SD caliber. Never. Sonic booms don't win shooting games or real life gun fights.

I never said you might need 5 or 6 rds from a 9mm or 40 cal. I said IF you miss with with your 500 S&W first rd a BG (or cop) with any skills at all will be pumping 5 or 6 rds in your chest before you can detonate your second atomic bomb.

I've seen it happen up close and personal.
__________________
Pray for the President. Psalm 109:8 -
"Let his days be few; and let another take his office."

Last edited by breacher1; 05-09-2012 at 22:40..
breacher1 is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 22:43   #59
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,140
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by breacher1 View Post
Okay Dirty Harry. You carry your Smith 29 boat anchor around and I'll stick with my puny Glock 23. You obviously did not read my post very carefully before running your suck. You obviously have never been in a gunfight or probably even seen one. Hint- it's not anything like on TV or when you are playing with your X-box.

I never said you might need 5 or 6 rds from a 9mm or 40 cal. I said IF you miss with with your 500 S&W first rd a BG (or cop) with any skills at all will be pumping 5 or 6 rds in your chest before you can detonate your second atomic bomb.

I've seen it happen up close and personal.
No need to get ugly. I am only pointing out the falacy of your statement. Shoot a 44mag a lot, you get really good with one, good enough to win a gunfight against the street trash. Now you want to bring in a trained Ninja, fine, but again, just pointing out your lack of gun knowledge. Even a 150yr old Colt45 SAA can win in a gunfight against a "better armed" attacker if the guy shooting it knows what he is doing & keeps his head. The shooter is always the defining factor, not so much the gun or ammo, of course luck always plays into theses things too. Far too may think or maybe need 15rds + two reloads to stop an assualt on their person, all fine if you are one of those. I am not.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 05-09-2012 at 22:44..
fredj338 is offline  
Old 05-09-2012, 23:04   #60
breacher1
Senior Member
 
breacher1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
No need to get ugly. I am only pointing out the falacy of your statement. Shoot a 44mag a lot, you get really good with one, good enough to win a gunfight against the street trash. Now you want to bring in a trained Ninja, fine, but again, just pointing out your lack of gun knowledge. Even a 150yr old Colt45 SAA can win in a gunfight against a "better armed" attacker if the guy shooting it knows what he is doing & keeps his head. The shooter is always the defining factor, not so much the gun or ammo, of course luck always plays into theses things too. Far too may think or maybe need 15rds + two reloads to stop an assualt on their person, all fine if you are one of those. I am not.
I've owned numerous 44 mags in the past but I'll take a good auto-loader to a gun fight any day over a wheelgun.

If you plan on winning a gun fight with a SA revolver forget Dirty Harry you better be Josie Wales and hope your better armed attacker is blind in one eye and can't see outta the other.

The "street trash" (gang bangers) here in NM actually spend some time shooting and trng to shoot cops and each other. I don't take them for granted.
__________________
Pray for the President. Psalm 109:8 -
"Let his days be few; and let another take his office."

Last edited by breacher1; 05-09-2012 at 23:06..
breacher1 is offline  
Old 05-10-2012, 07:43   #61
RMD
Senior Member
 
RMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: 20K dm above the shore
Posts: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmithlee View Post
...It had its hay-day, came and went...
It seems to be just getting started.

Last edited by RMD; 05-10-2012 at 07:43..
RMD is offline  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:22   #62
fredj338
Senior Member
 
fredj338's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: so.cal.
Posts: 21,140
Blog Entries: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by breacher1 View Post
I've owned numerous 44 mags in the past but I'll take a good auto-loader to a gun fight any day over a wheelgun.

If you plan on winning a gun fight with a SA revolver forget Dirty Harry you better be Josie Wales and hope your better armed attacker is blind in one eye and can't see outta the other.

The "street trash" (gang bangers) here in NM actually spend some time shooting and trng to shoot cops and each other. I don't take them for granted.
Again, tools never make up for poor craftsmanship. Ping clubs don't make you a better golfer & a G17 w/ 5 mags does not make yo ua better shooter/gunfighter. It will always come down to the skilled craftsman. So I worry more about my ability than my gear. If all I have on me is a SAA, then I will fight with that & plan to win.
__________________
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline  
Old 05-10-2012, 19:27   #63
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Amplified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by breacher1 View Post
Okay Dirty Harry. You carry your Smith 29 boat anchor around and I'll stick with my puny Glock 23. Apparently you did not read my post very carefully before running your suck. You obviously have never been in a gunfight or probably even seen one. Hint- it's not anything like on TV or when you are playing with your X-box. And when was the last time you saw a professional competitive shooter win anything with a hand canon competing against fast accurate shooting from an autoloader in a SD caliber. Never. Sonic booms don't win shooting games or real life gun fights.

I never said you might need 5 or 6 rds from a 9mm or 40 cal. I said IF you miss with with your 500 S&W first rd a BG (or cop) with any skills at all will be pumping 5 or 6 rds in your chest before you can detonate your second atomic bomb.

I've seen it happen up close and personal.
I'm going to call you the Tardinator.
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-10-2012, 19:39   #64
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Amplified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by breacher1 View Post
I've owned numerous 44 mags in the past but I'll take a good auto-loader to a gun fight any day over a wheelgun.

If you plan on winning a gun fight with a SA revolver forget Dirty Harry you better be Josie Wales and hope your better armed attacker is blind in one eye and can't see outta the other.

The "street trash" (gang bangers) here in NM actually spend some time shooting and trng to shoot cops and each other. I don't take them for granted.
So, Tardinator, how is it that you've acquired such a formidable tactical skill set in firefights?

Everything you say sounds like the only firefights that you've been in require an XBOX and a COD game!
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-10-2012, 19:44   #65
pisc1024
Senior Member
 
pisc1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
So, Tardinator, how is it that you've acquired such a formidable tactical skill set in firefights?

Everything you say sounds like the only firefights that you've been in require an XBOX and a COD game!
I must admit, all your **** talking is making me curious, care to share your credentials amp?
pisc1024 is offline  
Old 05-10-2012, 19:47   #66
Amplified
Senior Member
 
Amplified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by pisc1024 View Post
I must admit, all your **** talking is making me curious, care to share your credentials amp?
All that I did was start a thread about a load in .357 SIG that I find interesting.

Last edited by Amplified; 05-10-2012 at 19:47..
Amplified is offline  
Old 05-10-2012, 20:00   #67
pisc1024
Senior Member
 
pisc1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amplified View Post
All that I did was start a thread about a load in .357 SIG that I find interesting.
It was not a loaded question, I was truly interested in your back ground. Your answer speaks for it's self... Or is it "its"?
pisc1024 is offline  
Closed Thread


Tags
.357, ammo, pistol, sig, velocity
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 19:54.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,419
447 Members
972 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42