SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-04-2012, 20:23   #1
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Open Carry holster (I really like this one!) Safariland 6360

I've posted holster questions multiple times. I think the last time I tried to find a OWB/open carry holster I picked a Galco COP 3-slot. While I will be keeping the 3-slot I have for my G19, just so that I have an OWB for it, my primary OWB carry gun is now a G21SF. And I will be selling the 3-slot I have for it. It has been replaced by what I feel is a much better holster. It is more comfortable (believe it or not), more secure (from a gun grab), more stable (on my belt, don't know why) and far more consistent to draw from.

Safariland 6360. It did literally cost 4x as much as the Galco it is replacing (it was brand new, Galco was used on fleabay) but it is very nice. Safariland classifies it as Level III retention but I call serious stat-padding on that. It's really a Level II + the hood guard that sits there.

Just thought I'd share. I was very hesitant to buy a "duty holster", but I think it was definitely the right call, for me. I might try some different belt/paddle attachments later.

And here it is, in all its glory, on a Wilderness Instructor 1.75" belt (matches better than my beltman belt). I apologize for somehow finding a way to neutral-color the heck out of these pictures.

Carry Issues

Carry Issues

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)

Last edited by Warp; 05-04-2012 at 20:29..
Warp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:29   #2
RussP

Hey, I wanna know where I can get yellow pants like those!!!!!!!!!

"Comment is free, but facts are sacred." C.P. Scott, 1921
RussP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:31   #3
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussP View Post
Hey, I wanna know where I can get yellow pants like those!!!!!!!!!

View the world through an iPhone's lens using inexpensive indoor CFLs. You'll realize exactly how many yellow things you have!

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Old 05-04-2012, 20:37   #4
xmanhockey7

Safariland makes great OC holsters. That thing has great retention.
Old 05-04-2012, 20:41   #5
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
Safariland makes great OC holsters. That thing has great retention.
They really do. I'm pretty sure you use one of their ALS holsters. When I was doing my research I came across your posts about it on opencarry.org.

This one has the SLS and ALS systems.

If I ever get specific enough to shop for a good OWB concealment holster I'll probably get one of the basic ALS models.

Last edited by Warp; 05-04-2012 at 20:42..
Old 05-04-2012, 20:42   #6
dotsun
conf t

Cool holster, Warp. I can't tell from your pics but does it have the basket weave pattern?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 20:44   #7
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oh yes, something I should note: This holster is listed as fitting the G20/G21. I have a G21SF. It doesn't really matter, I don't think, but I can tell the holster was designed for the full width frame of the non SF model. There is some vertical play while it's in the holster and tightening the tension screw doesn't change anything, and I don't want to tighten it more for fear of breaking something. It doesn't seem to effect function, and I don't recall seeing any listed for the SF models, but it's something worth checking out before spending the money, I'd say.

Old 05-04-2012, 20:46   #8
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotsun View Post
Cool holster, Warp. I can't tell from your pics but does it have the basket weave pattern?
No, it does not. It's "plain black", which means just smooth black plastic on most of the exterior. I refuse to buy a basket weave pattern duty holster since I am not in LE and it wouldn't have anything to match. I think it would just look silly.

Last edited by Warp; 05-04-2012 at 20:47..
Old 05-04-2012, 20:50   #9
ijacek

Safariland makes the best holsters for duty. The hood guard is a very useful weapon retention device, so don't knock it

As far as the level of retention, if you have the ALS model, which I believe it is, you do have a level III.

The one thing to remember with this type of holster is that you cannot go cheap on the belt. A quality, sturdy belt that will support that holster during draw/re-holstering/weapon retention, is a must!

Other than that, Congrats on the great holster.
Old 05-04-2012, 20:52   #10
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijacek View Post
Safariland makes the best holsters for duty. The hood guard is a very useful weapon retention device, so don't knock it

As far as the level of retention, if you have the ALS model, which I believe it is, you do have a level III.

The one thing to remember with this type of holster is that you cannot go cheap on the belt. A quality, sturdy belt that will support that holster during draw/re-holstering/weapon retention, is a must!

Other than that, Congrats on the great holster.
Yes, there is an ALS device in there to operate after swiping the hood down.

I know they call it a level III, but I don't buy it. That SLS hood, which can very quickly and easily be rotated out of the way in one fast, fluid motion, should not count as two levels IMO. They even said in the literature that came with the holster that the two "separate" motions could, with practice, be done with one movement. Well then how does that qualify as two levels? At any rate it has as many retention devices as anybody outside of a correctional facility/jail/prison is probably ever going to have. (I opted out of the sentry, which turns it into what they call level IV)

That Wilderness belt does a great job. It's the 1.75" and I think it even has the polymer insert as well. I also have a 1.5" leather beltman belt, but since it's brown/tan it doesn't match this holster very well.

Last edited by Warp; 05-04-2012 at 20:54..
Old 05-04-2012, 21:00   #11
dotsun
conf t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
No, it does not. It's "plain black", which means just smooth black plastic on most of the exterior. I refuse to buy a basket weave pattern duty holster since I am not in LE and it wouldn't have anything to match. I think it would just look silly.
Cool, I didn't think it did but I wasn't sure from your pics. The first few I looked at online were all BW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
dotsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:39   #12
tshadow6

Oc

Is GA an open carry state? Is that holster for your uniform? I would love to open carry in FL when I am off duty, but I am restricted to OC only in uniform. Enjoy your holster.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01   #13
Glockdude1
CLM Number 185
Federal Member

Any problems drawing the pistol? Most duty holsters need a very stiff belt to stop it from "moving", while trying to unlock it, to draw the pistol.

Old 05-07-2012, 11:24   #14
rockapede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warp View Post
Oh yes, something I should note: This holster is listed as fitting the G20/G21. I have a G21SF. It doesn't really matter, I don't think, but I can tell the holster was designed for the full width frame of the non SF model. There is some vertical play while it's in the holster and tightening the tension screw doesn't change anything, and I don't want to tighten it more for fear of breaking something. It doesn't seem to effect function, and I don't recall seeing any listed for the SF models, but it's something worth checking out before spending the money, I'd say.
I've used similar SLS and ALS holsters for a couple of years now and in my experience, they all have vertical play. I can't tell that the tension screw really does much on my current or past holsters.
rockapede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:28   #15
truetopath

Looks like a nice holster!
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:13   #16
rmodel65

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshadow6 View Post
Is GA an open carry state? Is that holster for your uniform? I would love to open carry in FL when I am off duty, but I am restricted to OC only in uniform. Enjoy your holster.

GA has always been an open carry state it wasnt until after the race riots and the state wanting to disarm black men did OC require a license...concealed carry was a criminal act and illegal until about 15 years ago even if licensed....you could be cuffed and stuffed for CC....the same was never true about OC

Last edited by rmodel65; 05-10-2012 at 21:47..
rmodel65 is offline   Reply With Quote