Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-02-2012, 18:16   #1
jutland

Advice for Older couple in neighborhood going bad

One of my colleagues at work, who happens to live in Deltona, has noticed the crime problem increasing in the last few years, asked for my thoughts for a gun around the home. He is slight of build, as is his wife. He has never shot a firearm before, and is in his late sixties. His wife also wants to have a gun available, and both have advised that they will spend time to learn how to use it. I have suggested a 20 gauge side by side under the keep it simple approach. They do not want a handgun. Any thoughts or other advice. No kids in home.
jutland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:19   #2
Wake_jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutland View Post
One of my colleagues at work, who happens to live in Deltona, has noticed the crime problem increasing in the last few years, asked for my thoughts for a gun around the home. He is slight of build, as is his wife. He has never shot a firearm before, and is in his late sixties. His wife also wants to have a gun available, and both have advised that they will spend time to learn how to use it. I have suggested a 20 gauge side by side under the keep it simple approach. They do not want a handgun. Any thoughts or other advice. No kids in home.
They should move to another neighborhood.
Wake_jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:34   #3
Cole125
Silver Membership

The double barrel shotgun is a good idea. Very simple for someone who knows nothing about guns to operate and shoot. Very deadly.
Cole125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:35   #4
arclight610

Stoeger 20 ga coach gun, or 12 ga using shorty shells
arclight610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:36   #5
Bob Hafler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wake_jumper View Post
Sounds simple enough to you, really not so simple when your older.

My advice would be a 20ga. Mossberg crusier. Inexpensive light weight, reliable, low maintenance, and with #3 buckshot it's very deadly. That and I believe they have non lethel loads for them if they prefer those.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:41   #6
Ballisticism
Spray & Pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole125 View Post
The double barrel shotgun is a good idea. Very simple for someone who knows nothing about guns to operate and shoot. Very deadly.
Agreed. What about mounting a light and a laser on it? A google search shows that Stoeger makes a double-barrel 20-gauge in over-under and side-by-side configurations which has two picatinny rails.
Ballisticism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:43   #7
longhair

Side by side has always been my preferred home defense weapon. No need for lasers or lights.
longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:46   #8
Ballisticism
Spray & Pray

It seems to me like in a panicked home defense situation, it'd be easier and faster for someone with no firearms experience to light up their target and put the red dot on the right spot than line up the shotgun with only a front sight.
Old 05-02-2012, 18:58   #9
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballisticism View Post
It seems to me like in a panicked home defense situation, it'd be easier and faster for someone with no firearms experience to light up their target and put the red dot on the right spot than line up the shotgun with only a front sight.

And there is the issue of zeroing the dot, the batteries, etc. that is taking a simple idea and complicating it.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:11   #10
mj9mm

no problem with 20 guage for able people, but if it's too much for the little lady, my brother in law recently picked up a 410 pump home defense gun. awesome and easy to use, 410 HD loads are made for close in the house use, also easier for older, slightly built folks.. just as an interjection, i have a 20 side by side, it's more punishing than my 12 guage autoloader
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:15   #11
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
I love these idiotic responses. Move to a new neighborhood, or move to another state if you're from a more restrictive state. Some may be able to do it, but most can't just pick up and leave. Even if they really want to.

The 20 gauge is a good choice. I live the cruiser suggestion. But a pump may not work for some older folks.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:25   #12
Ballisticism
Spray & Pray

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygun View Post
And there is the issue of zeroing the dot, the batteries, etc. that is taking a simple idea and complicating it.
I am a scientist. That is what we do.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:26   #13
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair View Post
Side by side has always been my preferred home defense weapon. No need for lasers or lights.
Yep. Something goes bump in the night, you hunker down in the bedroom, call the cops, and wait for the cavalry to show up with the shotgun leveled at the bedroom door. No need for a light or laser, and no need to go searching the house without training.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:32   #14
Sheepdog Scout
Behind you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Yep. Something goes bump in the night, you hunker down in the bedroom, call the cops, and wait for the cavalry to show up with the shotgun leveled at the bedroom door. No need for a light or laser, and no need to go searching the house without training.
Even if you have training. There is no really good reason to go and "investigate", unless you have family in another part of the house.
Old 05-02-2012, 19:33   #15
opto_isolator
Extinct GOP

LOL - I live in Deltona. I moved here back in 2005. This place has gone to crap since. If TSHTF, this place is not a place you want to be!
opto_isolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:43   #16
jayhuh

I have been asked questions along these lines many times and my first recomendation is to move. If moving is not an option, the advice I give has nothing to do with hardware. Most important is advice on learning the legalities pertaining to the use of deadly force and the aftermath.

Secondly is mindset and training. If you are not prepared to take another person's life and trained to use a weapon without having to take the time to figure out how to put it in action, there is a good chance that if deployed, some thug will take it away from you and either shove it someplace that doesn't feel too good or kill you with it. Remember, if said thug is not armed to begin with, you have now brought a weapon into the situation.

This may not be what the OP wanted to hear, but it needs to be addresed. A firearm is not a magic wand, that if presented, scares the thug away (even though statistics show that the great majority of times, just the display of a firearm ends the hostilities). Everyone should plan for the worst case senerio.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by jayhuh; 05-02-2012 at 19:44..
jayhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:49   #17
Happypuppy

My mom is alone in her 80's and at least in a good area. What I did was
1. Alarm system $30/mo
2 safe room with an old cell phone on a charger for 911
3 flashlight at bedside and in safe room.
No gun. Why? she would not use it. She to be honest I think would panic and has never fired one

In a nutshell I like layered defense, locks etc to buy time for someone like her
Happypuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 19:59   #18
mj9mm

really? these people are not dead yet and they are willing to learn. i don't think they are looking for trouble, they just would like to be able to defend themselves. they aren't talking about neighborhood patrol either. a shotgun in the house with training is good advise, this is a gun forum, and many people have offered sound advise. their friend might want to take them to the range and try out a few options, if they change their minds, they can move on for more advise.
mj9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:02   #19
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog Scout View Post
Even if you have training. There is no really good reason to go and "investigate", unless you have family in another part of the house.
Valid point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhuh View Post
I have been asked questions along these lines many times and my first recomendation is to move. If moving is not an option, the advice I give has nothing to do with hardware. Most important is advice on learning the legalities pertaining to the use of deadly force and the aftermath.

Secondly is mindset and training. If you are not prepared to take another person's life and trained to use a weapon without having to take the time to figure out how to put it in action, there is a good chance that if deployed, some thug will take it away from you and either shove it someplace that doesn't feel too good or kill you with it. Remember, if said thug is not armed to begin with, you have now brought a weapon into the situation.

This may not be what the OP wanted to hear, but it needs to be addresed. A firearm is not a magic wand, that if presented, scares the thug away (even though statistics show that the great majority of times, just the display of a firearm ends the hostilities). Everyone should plan for the worst case senerio.

Just food for thought.
This, too, is VERY solid advice, especially the bit in bold.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:41   #20
Wake_jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
Sounds simple enough to you, really not so simple when your older.

My advice would be a 20ga. Mossberg crusier. Inexpensive light weight, reliable, low maintenance, and with #3 buckshot it's very deadly. That and I believe they have non lethel loads for them if they prefer those.
If they are too old to move, then they are too old to wield a weapon.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:43   #21
Wake_jumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdog Scout View Post
I love these idiotic responses. Move to a new neighborhood, or move to another state if you're from a more restrictive state. Some may be able to do it, but most can't just pick up and leave. Even if they really want to.

The 20 gauge is a good choice. I live the cruiser suggestion. But a pump may not work for some older folks.
Moving is always an option. Only an idiot would think otherwise.
Old 05-02-2012, 20:47   #22
Walk Soft

I vote semi auto shotgun.If he or she can pull the trigger once,they can pull it twice.Not that they'll need too.

Last edited by Walk Soft; 05-02-2012 at 20:48..
Walk Soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:52   #23
NH Trucker
Needs coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhair View Post
That's why I've always preferred higher capacity semi-autos. No need to mount a flashlight. Muzzle flash will light a hallway just fine

Seriously though, a double barrel will work, a pump with extended mag tube preferred. A 20 gauge will do them just fine.

Out of curiosity, why do they NOT want a handgun?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
NH Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:53   #24
glock2740
Gun lover.

Quote:
They shouldn't have to. Maybe the criminals should relocate.

Last edited by glock2740; 05-02-2012 at 20:54..
glock2740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 21:34   #25
VinnieD

Anyone else sick of hearing "Neighborhood going bad?"