GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:23   #1
CarryTexas

Iím a Hugger! Ė Do you have one of these friends?

My wife and I have friends that are the parents of one of my sonís friends. We donít hang out with them a lot, but do get together for the benefit of our kids (5 years old).

Anyway, the wife is the touchy feely type and always has to give me a hug when we see each otherÖ Since weíre not that close and I have doubts they would be the type to be supportive of CCW. I have never even mentioned guns to them.

However, twice now the wife has caught me off guard and hugged me. One of these times she directly touched my G23 on my hip. She's a bit of a scatter brain so I am not sure she even realized what it was.

I really donít want these people to know that I carry and certainly not until I can broach the subject delicately.

Does anyone have stories like this? How have you dealt with it?
CarryTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:43   #2
Zeroskillet
MIA 305

Only time I see a need to possibly bring it up is if you are entering THEIR home and I would have a doubt if they would be ok with it.

I've gone into many a home carrying without taking into consideration their perception of carrying but if its going to be a routine thing than I might bring it up.

"God gets you to the plate, but once you're there you're on your own." Ė Ted Williams.
Zeroskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44   #3
ChicagoZman

You could switch up your carry position in anticipation of seeing them, perhaps using a setup like SmartCarry or Thunderwear. Then if she touches your gun she is unlikely to say anything to her husband or anyone else.
Glocks: 17, 17L, 22, 22C, 23, 24C, 27, 34
Other Handguns: Several
ChicagoZman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:44   #4
Nine Shooter
Average Guy

Due to my job, its expected by people now. Even if I'm not carrying, people who know what I do ask me if i am, which I find more irritating.

Before, I kind of bladed myself so I kind of only got hugged from the one side. There is always the "its a cellphone/pager/leatherman" excuse.

Or, you could just tell them you have a legal permit to carry a firearm and you do so for protection. I usually did this if it were close friends or family and I didn't care.
Nine Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:57   #5
B.Reid

The trick is for you to hug her at her waist, this will force her to hug higher, try it with your wife.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:03   #6
CarryTexas

Maybe I should just be alittle too friendly!

Old 05-01-2012, 12:36   #7
truetopath

In a situation like this I usually hug low and let them go high, prevents accidental contact.
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:36   #8
geofri
Lifetime Membership
Poikilothermô

Quote:
Originally Posted by truetopath View Post
In a situation like this I usually hug low and let them go high, prevents accidental contact.
Funny though, I encounter people who fight for the lower position all the time. Part may be natural since I'm 6', but I still stoop and dive for the lower grab..

geofri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:01   #9
slickt0mmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofri View Post
Funny though, I encounter people who fight for the lower position all the time. Part may be natural since I'm 6', but I still stoop and dive for the lower grab..
I've experienced the same thing! I'm 5' 10", so not considerably tall, but there have been many times where I've gone in for a hug at a low position and the other person sees me and goes even lower. If nothing else, maybe it results in a really awkward hug and they decide not to hug me anymore. Problem solved, I guess!
slickt0mmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:23   #10
ca survivor

I go low on my weapon side, don't get too close and if they hit the gun I tell them is the phone and the friend's houses I go to they all carry too.
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:40   #11
LoadToadBoss
IYAAYWOT

I'm a pastor in the south. Hugging is almost in the job description. Two words: ankle carry.

"Government cannot deny its citizens a right on the off chance that right might be abused." --Unknown
LoadToadBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:47   #12
bustedknee
Curmudgeon

Tell her,
"I carry a gun because someone made a threat on my life and he promised to blow me up along with all my friends."
Old 05-01-2012, 19:13   #13
2740dmx

I hug low with my arm that is on my gun side and high with my off hand side.

I anticipate the hug, and slightly beat them to the "punch", keeping my elbow (gun side arm) tucked close to my body.

makes for some sloppy hugs, and cuts down on the cheap thrill of feeling some boobies squishing against me...
but prevents me from being "outed" as a weapon guy.
Old 05-01-2012, 19:48   #14
HKLovingIT
Resident Evil

Hug low at their waist level and keep your elbows tucked to your sides at your waist level as you do so. It will prevent them from reaching around to your rear and feeling anything or going under your arms. 90% of the time they will have to hug you high around your upper arm or shoulders. Try it. With a chick preferably.

кто пукнул здесь?
Nescio, sed foetet.

Last edited by HKLovingIT; 05-01-2012 at 19:49..
HKLovingIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:02   #15
edcrosbys

Like other said, go low for the hug. If there's a "fight" for low, compromise and go higher with your weak side.
edcrosbys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:34   #16
Gary1911A1

Just tell her you're glad to see her. LOL
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:25   #17
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTexas View Post
My wife and I have friends that are the parents of one of my sonís friends. We donít hang out with them a lot, but do get together for the benefit of our kids (5 years old).

Anyway, the wife is the touchy feely type and always has to give me a hug when we see each otherÖ Since weíre not that close and I have doubts they would be the type to be supportive of CCW. I have never even mentioned guns to them.

However, twice now the wife has caught me off guard and hugged me. One of these times she directly touched my G23 on my hip. She's a bit of a scatter brain so I am not sure she even realized what it was.

I really donít want these people to know that I carry and certainly not until I can broach the subject delicately.

Does anyone have stories like this? How have you dealt with it?
Yes. I've had the problem and lost friends because of it. My way to deal with it is like this. Yes, I carry. If you don't like it, I will gladly leave because I'm not putting my gun in my car.

Yes, it's rude but to the point. If they don't like guns or CCW, they aren't going to like it any less if I'm nice about it. If they don't like guns and don't want me in their presence while armed, I guess we don't have anything else to say to each other.

If that's the way it has to be, so be it because I'm not disarming for anyone.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:18   #18
dawg23
Resident Dimwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine Shooter View Post
There is always the "its a cellphone/pager/leatherman" excuse.

I just tell people it's a "medical device."

If they want to assume it's something like a colostomy bag, or whatever, that's OK.
If pressed for details (by people who know that I'm not ill), I just say it "dispenses medicine." I don't find it necessary to explain that the "medicine" is formulated to handle life-threatening emergencies.

www.PersonalDefenseTraining.net

Last edited by dawg23; 05-03-2012 at 11:15..
dawg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:42   #19
g26andgtrs

I have a fair number of friends who are huggers. And it's pretty standard at church, of course. I try to keep them to my left side, and go for the lower position, as many have already mentioned. There have been a couple instances where someone came into contact with it, but they didn't say anything. It's none of their business anyway, and if they were to say anything or object, they will get an eyeful of my CPL.
g26andgtrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12   #20
Toyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOH212 View Post
Yes. I've had the problem and lost friends because of it. My way to deal with it is like this. Yes, I carry. If you don't like it, I will gladly leave because I'm not putting my gun in my car.

Yes, it's rude but to the point. If they don't like guns or CCW, they aren't going to like it any less if I'm nice about it. If they don't like guns and don't want me in their presence while armed, I guess we don't have anything else to say to each other.

If that's the way it has to be, so be it because I'm not disarming for anyone.

I'm more in this camp. BUT, if someone is more inclined to go another route, here are some ideas:

"I'm in the witness protection program"

"As far as you know I'm undercover."

"I carry because someone has threatened my life."

"I carry because my neighbor has mean dogs that run wild."

"When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away"

"I refuse to be a defenseless victim."

"I carry a gun so I don't have to explain to people why I carry a gun."
Old 05-03-2012, 11:19   #21
SCmasterblaster

My Church in VT

doesn't allow CCW in the first place.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:57   #22
TSAX
USAF Vet

It depends on how you hug and how you carry. I hug kinda at an angle not full on and I lean in with my upper and keep my gun side hip from touching as much as possible. Sometimes its not an issue and its not felt/bumped against even on a full on hug attack.

NRA Member http://home.nra.org/#/nraorg
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:42   #23
CarryTexas

Thanks for the advice all! I normally put my arm down on my side to prevent contact, but she just caught me offguard a couple of times...

If they were close friends I would certainly let them know and if they didn't like it... "Oh well"
Old 05-03-2012, 13:05   #24
C5A

If someone should give me an unexpected hug and feel the Glock 22 at 4:00 and ask about it I just say "it is my pain pump". Have never had it go farther than that. ;-)
C5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 19:31   #25
freeride88

Send a message via AIM to freeride88
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawg23 View Post
I just tell people it's a "medical device."

If they want to assume it's something like a colostomy bag, or whatever, that's OK.
If pressed for details (by people who know that I'm not ill), I just say it "dispenses medicine." I don't find it necessary to explain that the "medicine" is formulated to handle life-threatening emergencies.
This is basically the cover story I've had prepared for years in case someone bumped into me and questioned it...it's never happened.
freeride88 is offline   Reply With Quote