GlockTalk.com
Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups



  
SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2012, 15:41   #51
Chris Brines
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 479
Looks like a nice gun. I almost got the SR40 before I decided to go Glock (and didn't look bock haha). Anyway, I liked the price of the gun but I LOVE Ruger. I didn't really wanna go with a foreign made gun, I wanted American. But I decided to go Glock for one reason or another, and am curious to know how this gun works out for you.
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 18:18   #52
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,126
Bump for updates. I'm really thinking about picking up an SR9.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 16:24   #53
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Well...nearly five months later I'm back to the range with Ruger SR9.
All good - no problems to report - 150 rounds of the PMC FMJ 124 grain with not a single problem...well except a few empties to the forehead
All the targets were set at 8 yards today (actually the target retriever didn't let me go any farther due to malfunction).
Next time I'm going to test the pistol with the defensive ammo from Speer - Gold Dot 124 grain.
I have a feeling that everything will be working just fine.
Round count is 870 without a single malfunction of any kind.
Thanks!

General Firearms Forum
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 10-07-2012 at 18:20..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57   #54
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Interesting video - trigger demo on SR9c, XD(m) and Glock 30 (both the compact and full version of SR9 are sharing the same trigger).
May give You a bit of perspective on stock trigger of this pistol...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFfrNWddYqs
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 10-05-2012 at 13:01..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:42   #55
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Today the pistol passed 1000 rounds mark.
I ran 100 FMJ 115 grain Remington rounds, 10 EFMJ Federal Guard Dog 105 grain rounds, 20 GDHP Speer Gold Dot 124 grain rounds and finished the session with tha mix up magazine full of everything (loose mix up ammo that I had in my treasure box - reloads, Remington Golden Sabers and good only knows what else). 138 rounds all together...and - no problems to report.

General Firearms Forum

I guess it's time to write something about my up to date experience with Ruger SR9.
If I'm going to keep this pistol (which is very likely) I'll need to replace the sights - the dots are bit too small for my liking and I would love to have them bigger and more visible (especially under low light condition).
I don't like the safety at all and can't understand why it's even there. I heard about the problems that the owners of SR40 encountered during the long range sessions.
While gripping the gun high the safety kept banging their palm and did cut the skin.
Not fun and I certainly can see that with more recoil.
Ruger, please take away this safety.
Big loaded chamber indicator is another possible problem, but only if You do carry that gun in the holster.
I certainly can imagine that such a big piece of metal may catch on holster easily.
Smaller would be much better.
Otherwise I can't think about anything else to improve.
Very nice trigger, good ergonomics, superb reliability in the good looking, accurate and inexpensive gun.
You have it all there!
No extensive wear visible anywhere.
Just take a look:

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum

So far I'm impressed.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 18:48   #56
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


I forgot to mention about the discovery that I made today.
I decided to change my grip and shooting stance from the very classic Weaver to this one:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBkXdMThD8w
To my surprise that new stance resolved the problem of the empties banging at my forehead. Completely.
Now all are flying high to the right at about 4 o clock position.
Back to Weaver and the problem did re-appear occasionally.
I just need to improve accuracy with this new stance as it's not as good as with my original stance.
Good thing is that there is literally no recoil now...pretty cool...ehhh
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.

Last edited by Nestor; 10-07-2012 at 20:33..
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:09   #57
Panzer
Senior Member
 
Panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 118
Where did you purchase the slip on grip for the sr9?
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48   #58
ca survivor
Senior Member
 
ca survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Thanks again



This is the spot where the indicator is resting between the two small, lugs. It's real pain trying to clean that spot. I wish to see the indicator to be smaller and located somewhere else really.
On the positive side. Case is fully supported in the chamber.

General Firearms Forum


How can you say the case is fully supported ?
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41   #59
4Rules
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
How can you say the case is fully supported ?
Look inside the case. The brass is solid at that point.

The case is fully supported.
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:19   #60
4Rules
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry 5 View Post
...Had not heard of the metal bar before. Wonder if that could work against you in court?
Legal issues with modifications?
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1394899


mag disconnect
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1385653



4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:28   #61
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Quote:
Originally Posted by ca survivor View Post
How can you say the case is fully supported ?
Hi ca Survivor, thanks for your question.
I don't know - maybe the picture I took is giving such impression, but I made another one today - just to clear the confusion caused by the first one.

General Firearms Forum

I think that " fully supported" is a relative term when applied to autoloading pistols.
All that I have owned, required some sort of feed ramp machined into the bottom chamber entrance area for the round to feed from the magazine.
This will leave some unsupported brass hanging out over the feed ramp, however as long as the case holds solid I would consider it fully supported.
I can't see any "smile" under the brass.
Good thing is that during this inspection I discovered one thing that I missed previously.
Look at the top front of the chamber, please...

General Firearms Forum

Slight wear in form of peening at the spot were the chamber block hits the inside of the slide when the pistol is fired.
Seems like it's a typical issue with SR series of pistols.
I'll stay focused on that spot in the future to let You know if it'll get any worse. So far it didn't affect the function though.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 16:33   #62
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
Where did you purchase the slip on grip for the sr9?
Hi,
it's the Pachmayr No# 1 slip on grip.
Wasn't probably designed for SR9 or 40, but it fits just fine.
I came across another grip made by Limbsaver and I may give it a try soon as well.

General Firearms Forum
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 19:07   #63
Panzer
Senior Member
 
Panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Hi,
it's the Pachmayr No# 1 slip on grip.
Wasn't probably designed for SR9 or 40, but it fits just fine.
I came across another grip made by Limbsaver and I may give it a try soon as well.

General Firearms Forum
Just to let you know, I bought a SR9 based on this thread. So thank you for replying so quickly. I have another question, Have you thought of a rail mounted light? I'm not finding any good info for weapon light and their compatibly with the SR9.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 13:12   #64
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


I'm more than glad that You found this topic helpful.
Well, regarding the light - I'm not there yet - sorry.
I think that the main reason for that are the oppressive gun laws that we have here. I've spent quite a long time trying to come up with the idea of HD weapon that (in accordance with the local regulations) can be deployed fast in case of the crisis.
What I've found is that only a 10 round pistol magazine feed (long story), long gun with the barrel of 18.5" (or longer) may satisfy all the stupid, local regulations and help me to defend my home at the same time. So currently I'm looking at the Canadian versions of Kel-Tec carbines (18.5" SU16 with RRA LAR 10 round pistol .223 magazine vs 18.5" SUB 2000) or custom length barrel Beretta CX4.
Bottom line is that any handgun (except for work if You are carrying one here) is pretty much just the sporting item.
Welcome in Canada
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 17:05   #65
Panzer
Senior Member
 
Panzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
I'm more than glad that You found this topic helpful.
Well, regarding the light - I'm not there yet - sorry.
I think that the main reason for that are the oppressive gun laws that we have here. I've spent quite a long time trying to come up with the idea of HD weapon that (in accordance with the local regulations) can be deployed fast in case of the crisis.
What I've found is that only a 10 round pistol magazine feed (long story), long gun with the barrel of 18.5" (or longer) may satisfy all the stupid, local regulations and help me to defend my home at the same time. So currently I'm looking at the Canadian versions of Kel-Tec carbines (18.5" SU16 with RRA LAR 10 round pistol .223 magazine vs 18.5" SUB 2000) or custom length barrel Beretta CX4.
Bottom line is that any handgun (except for work if You are carrying one here) is pretty much just the sporting item.
Welcome in Canada
That sucks man, I'm sorry. I've been doing some more research and I think I might be going with a surefire TRL-1.
Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 17:30   #66
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer View Post
That sucks man, I'm sorry. I've been doing some more research and I think I might be going with a surefire TRL-1.
Let us know how this light will work for You, please.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 17:37   #67
ca survivor
Senior Member
 
ca survivor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 6,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Hi ca Survivor, thanks for your question.
I don't know - maybe the picture I took is giving such impression, but I made another one today - just to clear the confusion caused by the first one.

General Firearms Forum

I think that " fully supported" is a relative term when applied to autoloading pistols.
All that I have owned, required some sort of feed ramp machined into the bottom chamber entrance area for the round to feed from the magazine.
This will leave some unsupported brass hanging out over the feed ramp, however as long as the case holds solid I would consider it fully supported.
I can't see any "smile" under the brass.
Good thing is that during this inspection I discovered one thing that I missed previously.
Look at the top front of the chamber, please...

General Firearms Forum

Slight wear in form of peening at the spot were the chamber block hits the inside of the slide when the pistol is fired.
Seems like it's a typical issue with SR series of pistols.
I'll stay focused on that spot in the future to let You know if it'll get any worse. So far it didn't affect the function though.
yes, you are right, but I see so much cartrige head expose, the cases I had blown did it right there at the case head, it was a bad batch from Federal though, good report.
edit to add: I think that wear on top of the barrel chamber is normal. But keep and eye on it LOL.

Last edited by ca survivor; 10-11-2012 at 17:42..
ca survivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 16:12   #68
Rustin
Senior Member
 
Rustin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
I forgot to mention about the discovery that I made today.
I decided to change my grip and shooting stance from the very classic Weaver to this one:

Ruger SR 40 and Recoil Mngmnt Gun Talk Ruger 5 25 10 JARE H264 16X9 gun talk - YouTube

To my surprise that new stance resolved the problem of the empties banging at my forehead. Completely.
Now all are flying high to the right at about 4 o clock position.
Back to Weaver and the problem did re-appear occasionally.
I just need to improve accuracy with this new stance as it's not as good as with my original stance.
Good thing is that there is literally no recoil now...pretty cool...ehhh

Nestor, that is hands down the best video I've seen on grip. I went to the range with a buddy from work today and I couldn't find the right words to help describe the grip method I was using.

Glad you posted it and congrats on your Ruger running like a top!
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 17:39   #69
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
Nestor, that is hands down the best video I've seen on grip. I went to the range with a buddy from work today and I couldn't find the right words to help describe the grip method I was using.

Glad you posted it and congrats on your Ruger running like a top!
Thanks.
I'm pretty impressed with this technique as well.
Glad that You found it useful.

__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:24   #70
Gary1911A1
Senior Member
 
Gary1911A1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Ohio for now
Posts: 3,591
Thanks for posting that excellent video on grip and stance.
Gary1911A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:50   #71
G19freak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 587
That's how I've instinctively run my pistols for years.

Doing something right and didn't even know it---it was just what worked for me.
__________________
Is the ground still hard if the shove is friendly?
G19freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 14:15   #72
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,126
How's the SR9?

posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 21:43   #73
Nestor
Lean & Mean
 
Nestor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: From Canada with love!
Posts: 20,970


Thanks. Sitting in the safe for now, but I was planning to take it to the range next week actually. Will post some report soon.
__________________
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

R.I.P Jeff (23Skidoo), Chad (CJLandry) & Mark (Okie) You all will be missed.
Nestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 22:09   #74
JohnnyReb
Lifetime Membership
Senior Member
 
JohnnyReb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FEMA REGION III
Posts: 5,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
Thanks. Sitting in the safe for now, but I was planning to take it to the range next week actually. Will post some report soon.
Looking forward to it!
__________________
Confederate General Albert Pike: The struggle against oppressive authority is universal and eternal.
JohnnyReb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:17   #75
DonD
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Central TX
Posts: 4,161


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor View Post
We just scrapped the so-called long gun registry, so there is slow improvement
Good for Canada on that point, my understanding was that it never helped anything (like most gun control measures) and cost a bundle.

Best of luck on the SR9. I'm a fan of Rugers, my wife and I have a SR9C that we really like. Haven't had a chance to shoot it a lot but 300 flawless rounds downrange so far.
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -6. The time now is 16:25.



Homepage
FAQ
Forums
Calendar
Advertise
Gallery
GT Wiki
GT Blogs
Social Groups
Classifieds


Users Currently Online: 1,217
394 Members
823 Guests

Most users ever online: 2,244
Nov 11, 2013 at 11:42