SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-30-2012, 21:51   #1
PA1911

Worries about buying new 10/22

Hello all,

I was planning to purchase a new 10/22 soon and after doing some research tonight, I just found out about the polymer trigger parts.

This is the one I'm looking at.

http://www.ruger.com/products/1022Ca...eets/1151.html

I wont lie, I am a little worried. Most topics I've found online say people recommend finding an older one.

Am I crazy for being worried? Do they shoot good, decent trigger pull?

Please let me know.

Thanks,
PA1911
Black Rifle Club Member #328
PA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 22:06   #2
twag4

Don't sweat it. We have two in my household. One with the plastic trigger group housing that we've had about three years. It has functioned flawlessly for tens of thousands of rounds. Goto rimfire central and read up. They have a sticky I believe in the 10/22 action subforum that addresses this subject. I just bought a second one used that has the aluminum group. The Plastic works, you're on glocktalk right? Buy it and worry not. Then at a minimum upgrade/mod the hammer and sear to correct the heavy trigger.
Old 04-30-2012, 22:08   #3
JimBianchi
CLM Number 25
Da Da

I have one of both old and new.

The polymer stuff is nearly indestructible and it won't scratch. Just as reliable, same pull, same break, or nearly so, too close to call.

If you really don't like it you can put any one of a hundred aftermarket trigger groups in it.

My 10/22's are my favorite rifles.
SAF

The scariest words in the English language: I'm from the government and I'm here to help! President Ronald Reagan
JimBianchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 22:15   #4
twag4

My 14yo son's is the plastic one. It has a power custom kit in it and it now has 2lb 12oz pull. The aluminum one is mine that I got last week. I modded the stock trigger and have 2lb 10 oz pull now with very little pre travel and post travel. Excellent triggers on both now IMO. The mod for the factory stuff isn't hard to do at all. It was also free- good stuff.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:49   #5
Bob Hafler

Your worrying about nothing. Buy the 10/22 and shoot the H**l out of it. There great rifles you can shoot for hours for about $20 worth of ammo.
This might help put you at ease
http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-1022.htm

Remember even Glocks have Polymer triggers and I've never heard of one of them breaking.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 05-01-2012 at 05:54..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:56   #6
auto-5

I picked one up yesterday. Brand spanking new and the only thing that is not stock on it is the sling. Put 300 rounds down the range and it was flawless. No FTF or FTE. The only thing I had to complain about the charging handle is a ***** to get back on the bolt after you are done cleaning.
auto-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:41   #7
alwaysshootin

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-5 View Post
I picked one up yesterday. Brand spanking new and the only thing that is not stock on it is the sling. Put 300 rounds down the range and it was flawless. No FTF or FTE. The only thing I had to complain about the charging handle is a ***** to get back on the bolt after you are done cleaning.
I know to some this is blasphemy, but just try this. Get a .22 boresnake, and run it down the barrel, every now and then. See just how many rounds you can run through a 10/22, without detail stripping. I think you will be amazed! You ain't going to break it, and you ain't going to ruin it. Just shoot the daylights out of it, and if it starts hanging up, when it starts hanging up, break it down.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:07   #8
auto-5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysshootin View Post
I know to some this is blasphemy, but just try this. Get a .22 boresnake, and run it down the barrel, every now and then. See just how many rounds you can run through a 10/22, without detail stripping. I think you will be amazed! You ain't going to break it, and you ain't going to ruin it. Just shoot the daylights out of it, and if it starts hanging up, when it starts hanging up, break it down.
I just like taking guns apart.

Last edited by auto-5; 05-01-2012 at 12:07..
auto-5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 13:11   #9
irishbum

Don't worry about the 10/22. Worry about the money you will spend on upgrades to cumstomize your new 10/22.
irishbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:02   #10
Magus
Deo Vindice

Go in about a minute and a half on this vid...or watch the whole thing if you want, they do some comparison destruction testing on the aluminum vs. polymer trigger housings. This should relieve any concerns about the polymer.

Magus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 15:17   #11
itstime

The trigger will go and go and go without any problems.
itstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 18:27   #12
Veedubklown

Not gonna have an issue with it. I put in an auto bolt release, and a bigger charging handle though. The auto bolt release is nice because it makes it really simple to lock back (You can even modify the stock part, honestly.), and when you pull the charging handle back, it releases automatically, to let the bolt close over your first round. When you get your 10/22, you'll see what I mean about the bolt hold open. It's a PITA. Also, the larger charging handle works great for clearing jams, because it happens when you're shooting 1000 rounds of .22 bulk pack in an afternoon. Trust me.

Also put in a recoil buffer. Some say they do something, some don't, some say they break and jam your gun. Mine's fine, doesn't seem to hurt, but I wouldn't waste the money again.

Last edited by Veedubklown; 05-01-2012 at 18:27..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 21:01   #13
Clem Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimBianchi View Post
I have one of both old and new.

The polymer stuff is nearly indestructible and it won't scratch. Just as reliable, same pull, same break, or nearly so, too close to call.

If you really don't like it you can put any one of a hundred aftermarket trigger groups in it.

My 10/22's are my favorite rifles.

a big +1

Where men are men, women are men, and teenagers and children are FBI agents.
Clem Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:58   #14
Old School

They're not great rifles. Odds are that you'll have to do something to them in order to have fun, reliable shooters. You'll have to do a lot if you want more than that. I had to replace the extractors in both of mine.

I own a lot of .22s. IMO you'll never regret a CZ 452/453/455 but I can't say that about a 10/22.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:04   #15
eracer
Where's my EBT?

Worry about using brake cleaner or Gun Scrubber on the receiver. It will peel the paint (PAINT?) right off.
Matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration; we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death. Life is a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. And now...the weather! ---- Bill Hicks
eracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38   #16
mac66
Plant the seed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old School View Post
They're not great rifles. Odds are that you'll have to do something to them in order to have fun, reliable shooters. You'll have to do a lot if you want more than that. I had to replace the extractors in both of mine.

I own a lot of .22s. IMO you'll never regret a CZ 452/453/455 but I can't say that about a 10/22.
I sure see a lot of basic 10/22s on the line as both a range officer at my local shooting club and as an Appleseed instructor. I own 5 stock 10/22s myself along with about 30 other 22 rifles. Never had a problem with my 10/22s.

I would have to say that they ARE great little rifles out of the box and need nothing to make them reliable or fun. But then again mine are used almost every weekend as loaners at Appleseed so YMMV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
mac66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39   #17
JFrame

Ditto to what the others have said...

I have a metal 10/22 and a polymer 10/22, and I have no concerns about the durability of the polymer one. The only difference is that the trigger pull actually feels a bit smoother on the polymer one...

--
JFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 18:45   #18
PA1911

I am slowly getting over my polymer trigger worry. I am also really thinking hard about the Takedown model. I think it would be handy.

Decisions...decisions

PA1911
Black Rifle Club Member #328
PA1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 20:36   #19
Faulkner
Patriot

If you're just looking for something to worry about, the impending economic collapse will occur long before you have any trouble with a plastic 10/22 trigger housing.
Old 05-02-2012, 23:01   #20
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Go for it!!
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote