Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2012, 23:15   #1
DJ Niner

Glock generations, "gills", 2- & 3-pin frames, and other helpful photos

This thread is intended to show photographic examples of frame generation comparisons, common-use Glock terminology, less-common variations, and other things that are helpful to folks who may have never heard of or seen certain Glock-related items.

Below is a comparison photo of the various 9mm full-size frame generations with labels (right-click to open a larger, more detailed version in a new tab or window):

Valuable Info

NOTE: Images have recently been moved to a new host.

If you begin reading/browsing through the thread, and see a bunch of "this image is not available" boxes, it is probable that I have exceeded the total bandwidth of the free account that is hosting the photos/images. If that is the case, please consider bookmarking the page and returning in the first week of the following month, after the account bandwidth is "re-set" to zero.

Thanks, and hope you enjoy the info/photos/images!

Tags: Glock frames, Glock generations, Glock frame comparison, Glock frame generations, Glock frame styles, Glock frame types, Glock Gen1, Glock Gen2, Glock Gen3, Glock Gen3 RTF2, Glock Gen4, Glock Generation 1, Glock Generation 2, Glock Generation 3, Glock Generation 4, Glock photo, Glock frames photo, Glock frame types photo.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 10-07-2014 at 18:51..
DJ Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 23:17   #2
DJ Niner

Comparison between full-size 9mm Gen3 2-pin and 3-pin frames:

Valuable Info

Tags: Glock 2-pin frame, Glock 3-pin frame, 2-pin comparison, 3-pin comparison, Glock frame photo.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-03-2014 at 23:10..
Old 04-29-2012, 23:22   #3
DJ Niner

This is a Glock Gen3 RTF2 (rough textured frame) Glock 17 in 9mm, with the "fish gill" style slide serrations. These have been called fish gills, gills, gillies, crescent serration models, curved serration models, and shark gills:

Valuable Info

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-03-2014 at 23:11..
Old 04-30-2012, 10:59   #4
tango44

Tagged! Great post!
tango44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:49   #5
TSAX
USAF Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tango44 View Post
Tagged! Great post!
Definitely a great post and reference

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 20:34   #6
21/4life

Great info. I was just thinking about all the different Gens. I was at a small shop over the weekend the owner and were talking about the Fde Glocks. Then he threw me a curve and said the Gen 3 & Gen 4 would never be legal in Kommunist Kali. I bought a 22 rtf w/n Gills in November so I started to wonder what Gen it is.
21/4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22   #7
DJ Niner

Gen1 Glock 17L with the less-common factory ported barrel. Serial number prefix "ED", manufactured in December of 1988. Although this is an early Glock, it is actually rather late in the Gen1 Glock lineup, with the Gen2 G17 model starting production just 3-4 months after this one was produced.

Valuable Info

A side view of the barrel ports with the barrel removed from the slide:

Valuable Info

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-03-2014 at 23:12..
Old 05-03-2012, 12:41   #8
jlseate
G23 NIB-X

Great thread. Thanks for the knowledge!
jlseate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 13:05   #9
average nobody

nice thread
average nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 21:39   #10
Leathernecker
More Glocks!

I think future additions for this thread should also clarify what constitutes a Generation 2.5.

I've seen "transition models" of full size frames that were without the light rail OR didn't have checkering in the finger grooves. I have yet to see one that has both shortcomings.

More importantly, I think that clarifying what constitutes a Gen 2.5 in the sub compacts would be important since so many people seem to think that their G26, G27, or G33 is a "Gen 2.5" just because it doesn't have a light rail. It has NEVER had a light rail, so how can you claim that it is somehow missing and worthy of the mid-generation moniker?

As for what constitutes a "real" Gen 2.5 in the subs would be something missing that they eventually ended up with, like the checkering in the finger grooves. I've seen it on the 9mm and the 40 S&W, I assume that there are possibly G33's out there that are missing the checkering.

Valuable Info

I hope more people post up early subcompacts so we can have good examples of models that were made during the transition period from 2nd to 3rd Generation pistols. And we might finally dispel the urge to call every Gen 3 subcompact a Gen 2.5.
G17 Gen 1, G17 Gen 2, G17 Gen 3, G17 Gen 4 FDE, G19 Gen 2, G20 Gen 2, G21 Gen 2, G22 Gen 2, G22 Gen 3, G23 Gen 2 (x2), G24 Gen 2, G26 Gen 2.5 (no, really!), G27 Gen 3, G31 Gen 3, G37 Gen 3 and the One Ring to Rule Them All...the FN FiveseveN.
Leathernecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 22:49   #11
DJ Niner

I guess I haven't seen that trend (calling all Subs Gen2.5 guns), but given that these "definitions" are pretty much all made-up by groups of users (except for the Gen4, which Glock so kindly identified by stamping it on the newest guns), I guess I can understand a bit of confusion on the subject.

I'm working on getting my hands on a no-checkering-in-the-grooves subcompact so I can make the same type of photo as the top one in this thread; I already have a Gen3 and Gen4 G26, so once I locate an older one I can snap a few pics and get a post up on that subject. As far as the larger frames (.45 ACP and 10mm), I don't consider myself very knowledgeable about them at all, so I may have to get some other folks to put up photos and info on model variations of the larger Glocks.

Thanks for your input, and the photo of another one of the less-common Glocks!

Last edited by DJ Niner; 05-07-2012 at 00:29..
Old 05-06-2012, 23:13   #12
DJ Niner

Austrian-proofed Gen3 G19, bought used a couple of years ago:

Valuable Info

Valuable Info

Valuable Info

The Eagle-NPv proofmarks are applied to guns fully assembled in Austria and sold in countries other than the United States, so unless a Glock is fairly old (Gen1 or early Gen2), it is unusual to see these Austrian proofs on a gun in the U.S. The story on these Gen3 Austrian-proofed guns varies, but it seems to be centered around a bit of a shortage in the G19 model here in the U.S., combined with an production overage (possibly due to a smaller-than-projected sale to another country), at about the same time (mid- to late-2000s). A large block of G19s with these markings were imported fully assembled (vs. being assembled here), and show up from time to time on the used-gun market.

Besides the Eagle-NPv proofmarks on the barrel hood, slide (behind and below the extractor), and frame (above the front of the trigger guard), these guns have an importer stamp on the bottom of the trigger guard. Normally, a Glock assembled here in the USA, for sale in the USA, has the correct importer's identification markings in the little oval at the top of the right side grip panel on the frame, but these guns have the Austrian Glock company markings, so the "Glock, Inc., Smyrna, GA" U.S. importer info had to be added somewhere else on the gun.

On this example, the front sight is steel, has a tiny Glock logo on it, and is longer (front-to-back) than current non-tritium front sights. The rear sight on this gun is not original; I replaced it with a steel non-night-sight Trijicon 3-dot sight, due to damage from the previous owner. The original was a stock plastic non-adjustable square-notch white-outline Glock rear sight.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-03-2014 at 23:14..
Old 05-12-2012, 22:27   #13
DJ Niner

Found a non-checkered-fingergroove G27, so I should have a subcompact frame comparison photo up within a week or so.
Old 05-13-2012, 22:28   #14
DJ Niner

Glock subcompact frame style comparison (9mm, .40, and .357-size frames).

Although the Subcompact frames have never been available in Gen1 or Gen2 styles, the naming convention used for the full-size 9mm/.40/.357 frames was informally adopted to describe the subcompact models as well. Along with no Gen1 or Gen2 versions, I have never seen or heard of a Gen3 RTF2 subcompact, so that leaves us with 3 basic styles or generations: Gen2.5, Gen3, and Gen4. As said before, Gen4 has been clearly defined by Glock. Gen3 subcompacts have all the same features as the full-size Gen3 frames, but there was also a very early version that had similar features, but was missing the checkering in the fingergroove area on the front of the grip frame. The smooth-groove frames have become known as Gen2.5 guns. In some larger frames, Gen2.5 has been used to describe frames missing the frontstrap checkering and/or missing the front accessory rail on the dust cover area of the frame; but because the subcompact guns have never had the dust cover rail in ANY generation, the lack of frontstrap checkering seems to be the only defining factor in identifying a gun as a Gen2.5.

Valuable Info

Tags: subcompact Gen2.5, subcompact Gen3, subcompact Gen4, smooth fingergrooves, smooth finger grooves, non-checkered finger grooves, non-checkered fingergrooves.

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-01-2014 at 22:19..
Old 05-14-2012, 16:03   #15
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

My Gen 2.5 G26 Serial BTRXXX

Valuable Info

Valuable Info

Valuable Info
Sgt.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:25   #16
DJ Niner

Very nice! And with a Glock-manufactured +2 magazine extension, too!

I've owned a few of the older-style +2 mag extensions, but they were always on larger mags (G19 and G17).
Old 05-15-2012, 03:15   #17
WASR10

Good posts have come to this place. Tagged
And He said to them, ...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." - Luke 22:36
WASR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 18:58   #18
DJ Niner

Glock 17 Gen2. According to the serial number prefix, this handgun was made a little over a year after the Gen1 G17L shown in post #7, above, making it a fairly early example of a second generation/Gen2 9mm Glock.

Valuable Info

Last edited by DJ Niner; 06-04-2014 at 22:26..
Old 05-22-2012, 17:15   #19
fairtomidland

The exact info I was looking for! Great thread Thanks.
fairtomidland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 00:57   #20
DJ Niner

You're welcome; I'm glad folks are finding this useful!

Last edited by DJ Niner; 05-23-2012 at 00:58..

Tags
generations