Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:29   #1
melensdad

Holster Review: CrossBreed Super Tuck ~vs~ Galco King Tuk

Maybe instead of this being a pure review, it should be called a 'showdown' between these two holsters.

I've been using a CrossBreed for several years while carrying several different 1911 pistols of various different sizes.

Last year I purchased a couple 1911 pistols with the lower accessory rails and none of my various holsters will accept a 1911 with an accessory rail. So while shopping at Cabelas to pick up some 45acp I walked down the holster aisle and found a Galco King Tuck for 1911 w/rail.
  • The Galco is 2 layers of leather that are glued or bonded together while the CrossBreed is 1 layer of leather.
  • The leather on the skin side of the holster is smooth, almost with a polished finish. The skin side of the CrossBreed is a natural finish that is not rough, but nor is it smooth.
  • The Kydex holster on the Galco is a 'universal' fit type, they used exactly the same Kydex part for their 1911 5" holster, their 1911 3-to-4" holster and their "railed" and "non-railed" holsters. The leather was longer on the 5" holster than on the 3-4" holster. The Kydex on the CrossBreed is individually moulded to the gun model ~~ or it was when I bought mine several years ago.
  • The metal belt clips on the Galco hold securely and snap over your belt. The CrossBreed offers several different types of loops and clips.
  • The 'front' side metal belt clip on the Galco is very close to the Kydex holster and causes your belt to pull hard on the attachment points. The clips don't flex as well as they do on the CrossBreed because there are 2 attachment points for each of the Galco belt clips. I think over time this will lead to leather wear. The 'front size belt clip on the CrossBreed is spaced ever so slightly farther away from the Kydex holster and allows for less stress on the individual attachment point.
  • Both the CrossBreed and the Galco allow you to adjust the depth at which the gun rides by adjusting the position of the belt clips.
  • The CrossBreed attaches each clip with 1 screw point while the Galco attaches with 2 screw points. 1 screw is preferable because it allow you to angle and offset the belt clips, effectively letting you cant the CrossBreed while the cant on the Galco is not effectively adjustable.

Overall I'd say that the Galco 'looks' like a better holster than the CrossBreed, but realistically I think the CrossBreed is actually the better carry holster.

The Galco appears more finely finished, the leather appears to be nicer, the mold/shape of the Kydex looks nicer. But the Kydex on the Galco is a little thinner so I hope it doesn't crack over time. Also the spacing of the belt clips on the Galco leads to the above mentioned stress.

My carry experience with the Galco is pretty minimal, while I have several years of using the CrossBreed, that said the CrossBreed seems to carry more comfortably than the Galco. That could be because of the clip position? That could be because the leather is more flexible/less stiff? That could be because the CrossBreed has a larger leather bearing surface?

Both are fine holsters, I prefer the CrossBreed. The CrossBreed is about $69, the Galco about $63. The extra $6 for the CrossBreed is worth the money. JMO

SuperTuck Deluxe | Crossbreed Holsters - Super Tuck Deluxe
General Firearms Forum

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.as...07&CatalogID=7
General Firearms Forum

A couple things to mention after a full week of the Galco King Tuk on my hip.

This Galco holster will work with a Para USA double-stack 1911 or with a Detonics MTX double-stack 1911 with extended magazine release. My CrossBreed does not work with my double-stack 1911 pistols. The difference between the 2 holsters is that the Galco has a "combat cut" but the CrossBreed that I own does not have the "combat cut" feature . . . you can order the CrossBreed with a "combat cut" if you choose to have it, but you must specify it. Because my CrossBreed has the larger leather flap, the leather comes in contact with the magazine release on my double-stack 1911 pistols and can, if you move the wrong way, release the magazine.

I'm wearing the Galco again today, this time with a gun that is a traditional Detonics 1911, its more comfortable with a traditional 1911 than with a double stack w/extended magazine release. But the CrossBreed is even more comfortable because of the greater leather coverage.

So despite the slightly nicer leather, and nicer finish overall on the Galco, I prefer the CrossBreed. The functionality is slightly better (the clip design allows you easier "tuck ability" of your shirt without bunching) and the greater leather coverage leads to a bit more comfort.
melensdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:38   #2
craig19

Thanks for the review. I have a Crossbreed, that I carry my 19 in, I like it alot. Could you use the Galco with just one of the screws, instead of two? Just curious, I have never seen a Glaco in person, from the picture it looks like you could.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:05   #3
TSAX
USAF Vet

I love my Crossbreed, the difference in pricing is about $15 more for the Crossbreed............which holster is thicker

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:09   #4
AlexC

I have the Galco King Tuck I carry a Glock 27 in. This was my first "Hybrid" style holster, and I can honestly say that I will never go away from this style of holster. You can wear this holster with a full size gun in it all day and you never get fatigued. I suggest you have a good gun belt to go along with it, I use a Uncle Mikes riggers belt. But for the King Tuck, you cant go wrong in choosing it. I love mine!
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 19:42   #5
melensdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig19 View Post
. . . Could you use the Galco with just one of the screws, instead of two?
Not really sure. Seems like it could, but the metal clips are bent such that I don't think there would be any real benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
...which holster is thicker
The Galco leather is thicker, its a double layer of leather. Very nice leather too, nicer than the CrossBreed leather. But also stiffer and being both thicker and stiffer is one reason why I think the Galco is slightly less comfortable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexC View Post
I have the Galco King Tuck I carry a Glock 27 in. This was my first "Hybrid" style holster, and I can honestly say that I will never go away from this style of holster...
Agreed that the "hybrid" holsters are really the most comfortable IWB holsters available. I have been carrying since the mid 1980's and there are plenty of holsters in my holster box that are dismal failures, others that work pretty well, but none that are as comfortable as this new breed of "hybrid" type that was developed by CrossBreed. Pick any brand of "hybrid" holster and you will have a comfortable all day carry holster.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11   #6
GOOFA

I have both and after breaking in the Galco I prefer the Galco. FYI, the Galco ended up being $20 less. One can generally find the Galco for $49.95 without too much looking.

GOOFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:43   #7
FFR Spyder GT
Ex-Gunslinger

How hard is it to draw from either holster

I don't like IWB and cannot figure out why anyone would want to carry that way.

Spyder
FFR Spyder GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 12:59   #8
melensdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR Spyder GT View Post
How hard is it to draw from either holster

I don't like IWB and cannot figure out why anyone would want to carry that way.

Spyder
Its actually very easy to draw from an IWB if you practice.

While an OWB is more comfortable than even these IWB holsters, the fact is that in some situations you can't really dress appropriately for work and carry OWB (dress shirt tucked in, no visible gun).