Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-26-2012, 00:32   #41
jp3975

Stick with the SKS.

If you must have a .308, get a Saiga. They're cheap and great.

You said its for HD/SD as well? Id stay away from the non-autoloader recommendations. Get an auto, for sure.
jp3975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:39   #42
Glockworks
Ready/Aim/Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier23 View Post
Well...drift more toward the Bungles myself, but point taken...<ggg>

We are getting bear from WVA and while I can't say we are being overrun, there are some legit reports.

Besides...I need an excuse for a new weapon...to protect the horses from bears. now, who can argue with logic like that?
Your significant other can. But I like your way of thinking. Farm gun, SKS paratrooper maybe? Same ammo and all, new gun (to you), and super reliable (my SKS), both Russian and Chinese. I just bought a Ruger M77/357, and I like that too, it comes in .44 mag too (almost bought that).

P.S. I would guess the .357 would not normally be a good choice on a charging bear, and a bolt actin of any type is slow for the second round. In that case I want a bunch of mean arse lead going downrange fast, so stick with something that does. Good luck!

Last edited by Glockworks; 04-26-2012 at 02:49..
Glockworks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:57   #43
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockworks View Post
Your significant other can. But I like your way of thinking. Farm gun, SKS paratrooper maybe? Same ammo and all, new gun (to you), and super reliable (my SKS), both Russian and Chinese. I just bought a Ruger M77/357, and I like that too, it comes in .44 mag too (almost bought that).

P.S. I would guess the .357 would not normally be a good choice on a charging bear, and a bolt actin of any type is slow for the second round. In that case I want a bunch of mean arse lead going downrange fast, so stick with something that does. Good luck!
Well, I am a live and let live kinda guy, animally speaking. I did kill a couple of turtles eating Mallard chicks that were finally hatched in the pond...and I hated doing that. So I am sure that bears and I can reach an understanding...willing to share the space and all...but we have some bi-pedal predators I am not so sure about...
Pier23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:29   #44
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixflip View Post
Farm use? I dont see whats wrong with the old battle proven SKS? I hear it worked fine in the jungles of Vietnam. I dont see why it cant serve as a general purpose rifle on a farm?

Shoot coyotes? check.
Shoot 2 legged coyotes? check.
semi auto? check
20 round capacity? check.
Pig sticker for when the ammo runs dry? check.
Solid wood stock for the infamous buttstroke? check.
7.62x39 hard hitting readily available ammo? check.

If SHTF I wouldnt hesitate to sling my trusty SKS over my shoulder.

General Firearms Forum
All excellent points! What else does anyone need?

Now..about mounting that bump fire stock....
Old 04-26-2012, 07:24   #45
tshadow6

farm gun

You have both a 12 gauge and a SKS? Use the money for ammo and farm tools, instead of another gun. Are you set up for reloading? Reloading is almost as much fun as shooting.
tshadow6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:46   #46
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

Marlin .30-30 with XS ghost ring sights.

Add sling, 3 boxes of ammo, zero and you're in business.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:56   #47
Bob Hafler

Quote:
I have wanted a thutty-thutty (as we say around here) but the Ruger also has my attention. But the thutty-thutty is beginning to have the weight of popularity.

It does lack the "git off my propty" cache that the Ruger minis engender.

What price ranges am I looking at?

I paid $529 + tax out the door for this new 580 ranch mini 14. The Scope and the reworked M1A wooden top handguard were extra of course.
Attachment 224816

As a general purpose ranch rifle the mini 14 is hard to beat. However like I mentioned before a 30/30 fits that need very well also. There both light short and accurate, and each bring there own brand of shooting fun to the table.

Last edited by Bob Hafler; 07-10-2013 at 14:49..
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:37   #48
JimXeod

^^^ I would say if you are looking at a Ruger, why not the Mini-14? I am a bigger fan of .223 if we are talking about a possiblity of bears. Just my .02

Last edited by JimXeod; 04-27-2012 at 07:06..
JimXeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07   #49
Pier23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hafler View Post
I paid $529 + tax out the door for this new 580 ranch mini 14. The Scope and the reworked M1A wooden top handguard were extra of course.
Attachment 224816

As a general purpose ranch rifle the mini 14 is hard to beat. However like I mentioned before a 30/30 fits that need very well also. There both light short and accurate, and each bring there own brand of shooting fun to the table.
Right now I have opted for the big brother, the Mini 30, and on this I am accepting the opinion of my LGS guy. The .30-30, he said, is an old cartridge, not terribly well designed to begin with, with limited bullet options and ballistics that fall off a cliff after 200 yards.

Now, frankly, my effective range with a rifle is closer to 50 yards, so that was not a big deal. Autoloading with the Mini 30 was a plus. The larger caliber was a plus, and essentially "upgrading" from my SKS platform was a plus. So...I basically am buying a new American SKS/AK47 in SS and synth stock.

This offers more punch than a .223 and allowing me to keep one cartridge for two rifles, simplifying my logistics since my handguns are all over creation and should be durable and accurate enough for my forseeable needs - real or perceived.

AND, if the LGS guy is to be believed, thr Mini 30 is one of the few weapon platforms that have improved with its new versions...I guess because it had sunk so low before, it had nowhere else to go.

Plus it looks pretty durn cool... Not my Steyr AUG... But not shabby either, and while not cheap, neither is it in the realm of an AR platform either, and hopefully less finicky.

Not a lever-action...but that just gives me something to acquire for my next perceived need...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:29   #50
cloudbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
But how would the mini 30 do anything your SKS can't, since they are the same round?
The nice thing about the Mini-30 vs. the SKS is that, being a modern design, it is drop-safe. The SKS is not at all drop-safe in any of it's most-convenient carry modes. It is also easily scoped, while most SKS scope configurations compromise ease of loading, have to take into account the directions the SKS ejects shells, and/or have mounting stability issues.

The 7.62 x 39 is an acceptable round for deer or black bear. Your 12ga. with slugs will take down brown bears just fine.

Having your SKS and Mini-30 use the same ammo is nice for convenience and simplicity.

UPDATE: I just saw that the poster lives in SE Ohio. I've lived in SE Ohio most of my adult life, and, seriously, you have a better chance of being struck by lightning on the way to claiming your winning lottery ticket than you do having to defend yourself against a black bear around here. Every now and then one wanders through the area, and they're shy as heck.

The only predators around here are coyotes, foxes, the occasional stray/feral dog and very rarely copperheads. None are known for attacking people. Any rifle at all will do. The rifle that gets the most use on my farm is my Remington 597 .22 WMR, scoped, for shooting groundhogs.

The two-legged kind of predator is the major predator of the area, and really, life's pretty peaceful out here. Crime rates in my county are a small fraction of the national average.

If you want a "farm rifle" here, the thing I'd think about is weight and size. The area is very hilly and woodsy. If you're tromping up and down hills for any distance, you don't want a monster like a Garand on your shoulder. Something really light, like a Kel-Tec Su-16C is the ticket. Even the SKS is a fairly "sturdy" gun and you'll find yourself reluctant to carry it out without a specific reason. The Mini-30 is a couple pounds lighter than an SKS. That will make a big difference. The Su-16c is over a pound lighter still, and much more compact, with the folding stock.

I usually just pack my CCW weapon around for protection, because, as I said, the only real danger that's at all likely is two-legged.

BTW, I recently picked up a Rossi/Taurus Circuit Judge, .45LC/.410 revolver rifle! What fun! Very light and compact and reliable. Decently accurate. Five rounds as fast as you can pull the DA trigger. Trigger pull in SA mode is quite adequate. Not at all a bad farm rifle in this area. Nothing out here you'd want to take down that you couldn't and there's a possibility that it will soon be legal for deer hunting in Ohio.
"A constitutional guarantee subject to future judges’ assessments of its usefulness is no constitutional guarantee at all." -- Justice Antonin Scalia, DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA ET AL. v. HELLER, June 26, 2008

Last edited by cloudbuster; 04-26-2012 at 10:53..
cloudbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04   #51
countrygun

I have long thought that the Mini-30 is a great answer to the "farm Rifle" question especially in experienced hands, and fortunately it is one of the more reasonable, from a financial standpoint, rifles to get experience with. If I were to start my collection/battery, all over again I am almost certain that a Mini-30 would be one of the first rifles, if not the first, centerfire I would put in the rack for my place.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 14:13   #52
MrMurphy
Lifetime Membership

The .30-30 is a decade older than the .30-06, which i'm pretty sure your guy wouldn't have much bad to say about, and about a decade older than the .45 ACP (introduced in 1905) and the 9mm (1902).

Age has nothing to do with it.
"And Shepherds we shall be. For thee, my Lord for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine Patris, et fili, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen."
MrMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 14:55   #53
MrGlock21
NRA Instructor

It really depends on how much $ you want to spend.

It is never too late for an M14

My GP rifle is a light weight AR10 in 260rem and I wouldn't want something else.

If Wolf comes out with cheapo non brass Grendel ammo (as they announced), you might consider a Grendel upper. It's a nice deer round.
Old 04-26-2012, 14:58   #54
chevy01234

If you like the 10/22, check out the 44 mag carbine if you can find one..I love mine! They are light and handy and pack a punch!

It is a great truck gun. Depending what time of the year it is and what i'm doing dictates what gun I have. I usually always have a 410 snake tamer and a 22lr pistol in the truck this time of year. During hunting season, it's usually a couple 12 gauges and a deer rifle of some sorts...I keep an AR behind my back seat as well with a few loaded mags and spare boxes of ammo. More often than not, the 44 carbine is on the backseat though.

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
chevy01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 15:14   #55
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMurphy View Post
Marlin .30-30 with XS ghost ring sights.

Add sling, 3 boxes of ammo, zero and you're in business.
You mean like this?

General Firearms Forum
Old 04-26-2012, 15:28   #56
Veedubklown

Quote:
Gentlefolk,

I am now pretty well fixed in the handgun area, but my rifle situation needs help. All I have is a 12ga and an SKS.

The Ruger Mini 30 looks like the type of rifle that would work best but am looking for ideas and options.

Why? You have an SKS! Lighter, lots of aftermarket support, and tapco makes fine magazines that will reliably feed 30 rounds.

Thanks for any thoughts and options!
People have been chiming in for a lever-action 30-30, when 7.62x39 is balisticly similar, anyway! Why have 2 cartriges that do the same thing? Just work the SKS over a little, and it'll be a fantastic ranch rifle. Loaded with soft-tip or hollow-points, I'd feel relatively safe if a bear started to charge, from a safe distance. If it's close up, you better be pretty handy at working that bolt, on an 'aught-six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
The nice thing about the Mini-30 vs. the SKS is that, being a modern design, it is drop-safe. The SKS is not at all drop-safe in any of it's most-convenient carry modes. (That's not the design of the gun, but the way they were manufactured. This can be put back, rather easily.) It is also easily scoped, while most SKS scope configurations compromise ease of loading, have to take into account the directions the SKS ejects shells, and/or have mounting stability issues. (Not really an issue, as 7.62x39 falls off quick after about 200, unless you can't see that far easily. Then, just use a scout scope.)

The 7.62 x 39 is an acceptable round for deer or black bear. Your 12ga. with slugs will take down brown bears just fine.
I dig mine (Have since removed the fore-grip. I just use the magazine.)

General Firearms Forum

Last edited by Veedubklown; 04-26-2012 at 15:37..
Veedubklown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 15:34   #57
1911gobang

Absolutely the mini 30

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

2008 F250 Super Duty 4x4 Crew Cab for sale!!
1911gobang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 15:37   #58
countrygun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedubklown View Post
People have been chiming in for a lever-action 30-30, when 7.62x39 is balisticly similar, anyway! Why have 2 cartriges that do the same thing? Just work the SKS over a little, and it'll be a fantastic ranch rifle. Loaded with soft-tip or hollow-points, I'd feel relatively safe if a bear started to charge, from a safe distance. If it's close up, you better be pretty handy at working that bolt, on an 'aught-six.

As I said before the round itself is a pretty good ranch round, but until they load it with a 170 gn bullet it's not going to be the TERMINAL the same thing as a 30-30 on an upset ursine.
Old 04-26-2012, 16:07   #59
byf43
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by collim1 View Post
Just reread your original post and noticed you said brown bear, not black. In that case Might wanna load that shotgun with Brenneke slugs or get the Marlin in .45-70.

In all reality though my original posted suggestions would still probably be okay, but I might step the bolt action rifle up to a .30-06 or larger.

Marlin 1895G in .45-70 "Gummint"!!!!

General Firearms Forum

"Live Free. Practice democracy. Make a difference. Love your family and your country." H.N.K. (My Dad) 09/02/1924 - 05/11/2012
byf43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 16:27   #60
Pier23

Cloudbuster,

Your assessment of the area is spot on. I think the most violent thing I have run across is a pair of racoons that came into the house.

A .223 would be adequate for any reasonable threat, but then so is my .40 Glock... But...

I usually just carry a handgun of some flavor when I trapse the hills of the farm. And my 10/22 did well in taking out my maurauding turtles.

But,since I have this urge to get something that goes bang, it may as well serve a tangible function....

Last edited by Pier23; 04-26-2012 at 16:38..