SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:30   #1
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Going to start looking for carry guns

Im enrolled in the concealed carry course in state and will be doing that in a couple monts (alll of them are backlogged, good sign) and then looking for small carry guns. I want to start with a carry everywhere gun and work my way up, so no "get a fullsize auto" suggestions.

Thing is im lukewarm to almost all small autos, lcps and p3ats are too small to hold onto. Havent shot many other small guns besides snubbies though so impressions onb what might be able to be gripped and doesnt beat my hand to a pulp would be appreciated
Old 04-24-2012, 08:54   #2
ithaca_deerslayer

The sky is the limit. There are new carry guns coming out every other day

These are my 4 carry guns
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

The gold standard is the Glock 26. 10+1 rounds of 9mm. Kinda wide sometimes.

The Kahr PM9 (or CM9) is a longstanding solution to carry problems, by being a single stack small gun that is still easy enough to shoot 9mm with. It is 6+1 or 7+1 depending upon the mags you use.

The S&W 642 is the classic snubby revolver with internal hammer that can't snag. 5 rounds of .38. Double action trigger is bit hard to master. Short sight radius is hard too. And it recoils more than the PM9. But reliable no matter your grip or body position. Can even shoot from a pocket.

The Ruger LCP is light and thin. 6+1 of .380. Problem is some people don't think the .380 round is good enough for self-defense. Sights are almost non-existent, but they aren't ever going to snag on clothing. Trigger pull is light but long.

All 4 of these are short gripped, curl your pinky under. You can get mag baseplate pinky extensions for all of these (or a longer grip for the 642). I prefer the short grip, as shown, for carry. And just curl the pinky under the grip (actually feels better to me than a mag extension). For the range, then I like a full-length grip (skipping over the compacts with the mid-size grips).

My preference is no thumb safety, so none of these have one. Other people have different preferences, that may have you looking at other fine guns. Just gotta start by identifying what you want in a gun

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 04-24-2012 at 09:00..
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:55   #3
FL Airedale
Dog Breath

I have a medium sized hand and carry a medium sized auto, a Glock 23C. I also have a G26 and while it is a little small for my hand, it is very easy to shoot. Neither one beats my hand to death.

If you want to go full sized, a 1911 is surprisingly easy to conceal because it is flat. I carried one for 20 years and only switched to the Glock because it was lighter.
I used to be a people person but people ruined that for me.
FL Airedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:02   #4
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Cant always dress around the gun, i will start with a small go anywhere type then work my way up.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:12   #5
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Cant always dress around the gun, i will start with a small go anywhere type then work my way up.
But as you've found with the LCP, you might not like how some of those smaller guns hold in your hand.

You might, for example, hold a gun like a Kahr PM9 or CM9 and decide that is too small also. Then you give it a try with a pinky extension on the mag, and might decide you don't like that either. Then you could look, to continue the example, at the Kahr P9 or CW9, which both have the slightly longer grip (and are roughly considered compacts). They are thin single stacks, still real good for carry. But if you didn't like those grips, maybe you'd want to try a double stack like Glock 19. It has next size longer grip than the Glock 26, and is wider than the Kahrs. Maybe that grip fits you right. But then you compare it in size to the smaller guns.

Pretty soon you start to compromise somewhere, either by dressing around the gun, or by getting a smaller than ideal gun that conceals eaiser.

Me, if concealment wasn't an issue, I'd probably just go with my Glock 17 G4. I carry it sometimes. It is just about my best shooting handgun. 17+1 rounds of 9mm. But I compromise and usually carry one of the above pictured guns, because they conceal easier
Old 04-24-2012, 09:14   #6
mingaa

Here's a nice rundown of the current small 9mms on the market: http://www.best9mm.com/compact9mm.html

Last edited by mingaa; 04-24-2012 at 09:41..
mingaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:15   #7
countrygun

I would look very closely at what I could budget for and as importantly (IMO) budget for a quality holster. A quality belt is likely to follow. In the really compact designs the initial cost can be in a wide range. It is impossible for someone on the internet to give you accurate advice about what kind of gun YOU shoot well, that and what type YOU are comfortable with are more important than any advice from a stranger on any forum. If you as 12 folks at random and out of earshot of each other, you will probably get at least three different "types" and probably 12 different guns. Try out a variety and narrow it to a "Type" revolver, DA/SA, SA, Striker fired , etc, look at your budget, and then pick a caliber you are comfortable with, THEN folks will have a starting place for advice. Remember, as you said, you are going to "work up" from there so look at the first carry pistol as alearning tool.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:24   #8
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingaa View Post
Here's a nice rundown of the current 9mms on the market: http://www.best9mm.com/compact9mm.html
Nice website, and a good selection.
Heck, pretty soon the even the Brady bunch will be making a single stack 9.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 04-24-2012 at 10:01..
Old 04-24-2012, 09:52   #9
mingaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
Nice website, and a good selection. But already slightly outdated so we can't really say "current" More and more models are out.

Heck, pretty soon the even the Brady bunch will be making a single stack 9.
Recent? Currently circulating, common, in vogue, sanctioned, standard, usual suspects, time-honored, extant, prevalent...

Now that the pointed stick has blood on it why don't you scratch down what the list lacks?? "Stop it, you're hurting me!"
Old 04-24-2012, 09:53   #10
ronin.45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
The sky is the limit. There are new carry guns coming out every other day

These are my 4 carry guns
General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

The gold standard is the Glock 26. 10+1 rounds of 9mm. Kinda wide sometimes.

The Kahr PM9 (or CM9) is a longstanding solution to carry problems, by being a single stack small gun that is still easy enough to shoot 9mm with. It is 6+1 or 7+1 depending upon the mags you use.

The S&W 642 is the classic snubby revolver with internal hammer that can't snag. 5 rounds of .38. Double action trigger is bit hard to master. Short sight radius is hard too. And it recoils more than the PM9. But reliable no matter your grip or body position. Can even shoot from a pocket.

The Ruger LCP is light and thin. 6+1 of .380. Problem is some people don't think the .380 round is good enough for self-defense. Sights are almost non-existent, but they aren't ever going to snag on clothing. Trigger pull is light but long.

All 4 of these are short gripped, curl your pinky under. You can get mag baseplate pinky extensions for all of these (or a longer grip for the 642). I prefer the short grip, as shown, for carry. And just curl the pinky under the grip (actually feels better to me than a mag extension). For the range, then I like a full-length grip (skipping over the compacts with the mid-size grips).

My preference is no thumb safety, so none of these have one. Other people have different preferences, that may have you looking at other fine guns. Just gotta start by identifying what you want in a gun
Great information here^^^
Old 04-24-2012, 09:58   #11
ithaca_deerslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingaa View Post
Recent? Currently circulating, common, in vogue, sanctioned, standard, usual suspects, time-honored, extant, prevalent...

Now that the pointed stick has blood on it why don't you scratch down what the list lacks?? "Stop it, you're hurting me!"
In the single stack 9, I did not see the Shield or the Solo, but maybe they were excluded because of price?

Still, that is a good website Hard keep track of all the new guns that come out.

Last edited by ithaca_deerslayer; 04-24-2012 at 10:03..
Old 04-24-2012, 10:07   #12
Diesel McBadass
Tactically Epic

Id prob start with pcoket carry work up to a belt.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08   #13
NeverMore1701
Platinum Membership
Fear no evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel McBadass View Post
Im enrolled in the concealed carry course in state and will be doing that in a couple monts (alll of them are backlogged, good sign) and then looking for small carry guns. I want to start with a carry everywhere gun and work my way up, so no "get a fullsize auto" suggestions.

Thing is im lukewarm to almost all small autos, lcps and p3ats are too small to hold onto. Havent shot many other small guns besides snubbies though so impressions onb what might be able to be gripped and doesnt beat my hand to a pulp would be appreciated
Try to find a Sig P238 and see how that feels. It fits the hand much better than the LCP/P3AT, but doesn't carry much different at all. It is tiny, you can carry it anywhere, it's accurate, has a very good trigger for a pocket gun, and it has full sized night sights. The recoil is almost non-existent, which not only makes for fast follow up shots, but also keeps it from dancing around in your hand.

General Firearms Forum

Also, I find the current crop of small 9mms too large to easily draw from a pocket. The Sig P938 has me VERY interested, as it's the same size as the 238, but it's not out yet, and I'd hold out until it's been out for a year before I'd get one.
For the last time
NeverMore1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:54   #14
Rustin

SHIELD YOURSELF! or 642
Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:01   #15
Numismatist
5-Stand!

Don't go cheap, get the best gun you can afford.

Advice from a fellow Mainer!
Remington 1100 LT Sporting 20 shotgun
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:06   #16
Bob Hafler

Kahr CM/PM9 is a good choice.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:15   #17
Bruce M

Especially if you are looking for a gun that is also going to be used to improve shooting skills, the Glock 26 may be a great choice. Everything I have tried that is smaller than that seems a bit more difficult to shoot especially for an extended range session.
I never talked to anyone who had to fire their gun who said "I wished I had the smaller gun and fewer rounds with me" Just because you find a hundred people who agree with you on the internet does not mean you're right.
Bruce M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 16:37   #18
John Biltz

Its easy to think go small and easy to carry, but I think you should figure what you can carry and would be willing to actually fight with. I've found the G26 to be that pistol, I'd look at the M&Pc and SR9c as well. Now I don't care for a double action only pistols so most of the new slim 9s are not my cup of tea. The new Shield is looking pretty nice though.
Old 04-24-2012, 16:41   #19
TSAX
USAF Vet

Check out a few different ranges and see what they have in the rental case and test fire a bunch of them. Some guns I know I can carry well but I dont shot or like the feel as well. The biggest example for me was the LCR, many like this gun and I was really excited to get it, I rented it and never bought it. I didnt like it at all. ABout 10 years ago I rented this newer gun at the time, XD40 and loved it. Although its not my carry gun its great to shoot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 18:24   #20
TN.Frank
Mad Hatter

Another vote for the S&W 642. If you're handy you can install a Wolff Spring kit, 8# hammer, 13# rebound and polish up the rebound slide and you'll have an awesome DA trigger pull. Start with wadcutters and work your way up. Also, DeSantis makes a Clip Grip that lets you carry IWB without the need for a holster and the grips are basically the stock shape so you still have something to hang onto.