Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:29   #1
Chris Brines

Love my Glock 26, but.....

I'm sure I'm not the 1st or 100th person to say this, but I don't like the short grip on the sub compact Glocks. Everything else about the gun has been flawless besides that. I did have a failure to fire yesterday, but I am guessing that was an issue with the ammo. I hope so anyway.

So I bought the Pearce Grip Extension for the G26 and G27. The one that is supposed to increase your magazine capacity +2. After installing it, I held the gun in my hand and truly thought I had a perfect gun.

Then I took it to the range and shot it.

Let me just put it this way. If you MAKE SURE your pinky is placed flush across the grip part of the magazine extension, you will have no problems, and wow the increase in accuracy and overall control of the gun is truly impressive.

To be honest, it is not all that easy to make sure you have your pinky in the right place, because literally a millimeter movement upward will place your pinky in between the top of the mag extension and the bottom of the butt of the pistol. When your finger is sitting between those two things, and you fire a round...it pinches pretty bad. It's not like it "hurts", but it definitely isn't "awesome".

Yesterday I called a few gun shops in the area and asked if they had a used G19 I could trade my G26 for. I've fired maybe 1000 rounds through the G26 in total. Basically what I got was that I was going to be screwing myself bigtime by trying to switch my G26 for a G19, but honestly if someone walked up to me right now with a G19 in the same condition, I'd trade them my G26 in a heartbeat.

But I just don't see that happening, and I honestly don't have the time to go searching out people for a trade, I'm a full time student and work full time so I have a very busy life.

The reason I posted this in the gunsmithing forum is because I have a question. The grip extension is made of a polymer compound similar or maybe even exactly like that of the Glock frame. A gunsmith today told me to just take some sandpaper and file down the "sharp" edge of the extension, smoothing it out. I have never used sandpaper on plastic and am wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and has ever used sandpaper on plastic. If so, what grit count?
Chris Brines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 14:46   #2
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

I used a new fingernail emeryboard to dehorn the Glock +2's I use. They don't pinch or hurt me they just weren't smooth to the touch and that's what bothered me. Just looked and I have no gap or anything where the frame/mag meet so nowhere to pinch. You may try a different extension. HTH.
Sgt.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 15:05   #3
Chris Brines

Sounds like the same one to me. How did it feel after the filing? I have pretty small hands and fingers, which is why it was able to get lodged in between, but I just took some sandpaper to mine and sanded the sharp points down to barely anything. Still feels like a perfect grip and I'd be shocked if it still pinched. But if it does, I'm filing the whole thing down.
Old 03-05-2012, 15:37   #4
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Here's a couple of pics:

Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing

This is a newer extension and where I sanded is at the seam. I have small hands also but have never had any problem in the near 12 years I've owned this 26.
Old 03-05-2012, 17:05   #5
cciman

I would not trade it out for a G19-- the G26 is more of an adaptable weapon, and can do everything the G19 can + it is easier to CCW.

To that: You can use G19 (or even G17) mags in the G26 without any mods, and have a full grip with the full size mag. I carry these as my backup mags.

You can choose to adapt the weapon to your hand-- customize it. I have shaved plastic off of the bottoms of my Glocks to create no pinch zones when I slam mags into magwells. You do not need to take off much. Use a razor blade, work slowly, and the change is barely noticeable.
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:12   #6
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

I just ordered a pair of these just to see how they do. GAP Floorplates Look like a good solution. Lots of positive comments here on GT. I like my +2's but I have a couple of spare 26 mags to install these on to try out. Might be something to look into.
Old 03-05-2012, 20:24   #7
Streetglider08

Is their website the only place to order the gap floor plates? I haven't seen them anywhere else.
Streetglider08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 20:34   #8
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetglider08 View Post
Is their website the only place to order the gap floor plates? I haven't seen them anywhere else.
As far as I know. But that's not very far. Didn't check anywhere else.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:07   #9
Chris Brines

Sgt. K, I'm not sure those are the same ones I have....the ones I have have a textured grip very similar to the Glock and a piece at the very bottom that protrudes forward toward the target for your pinky to rest in. Then again, if it IS the same one, then you did an EXCELLENT job of filing your and making it look like it came that way. I've filed the crap out of mine and think I finally have the issue pretty much resolved. I'm sticking with these extensions and the G26.

Last edited by Chris Brines; 03-08-2012 at 10:10..
Old 03-08-2012, 10:21   #10
RMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
I just ordered a pair of these just to see how they do. GAP Floorplates Look like a good solution. Lots of positive comments here on GT. I like my +2's but I have a couple of spare 26 mags to install these on to try out. Might be something to look into.
I don't have any problems with the stock mags, but I do like the GAP floorplates for drawing from IWB.
RMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 13:43   #11
Sgt.K
They Just Work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brines View Post
Sgt. K, I'm not sure those are the same ones I have....the ones I have have a textured grip very similar to the Glock and a piece at the very bottom that protrudes forward toward the target for your pinky to rest in. Then again, if it IS the same one, then you did an EXCELLENT job of filing your and making it look like it came that way. I've filed the crap out of mine and think I finally have the issue pretty much resolved. I'm sticking with these extensions and the G26.
The ones I've pictured are factory Glock +2's not modified in any way other than deburring the edges.

Glad you got it worked out! That's what matters!
Old 03-08-2012, 18:50   #12
ubimow

I think this would be great for you to try. It is called X-Grip and you can use the Glock 19 mags with this and it doesn't pinch at all. You can see in the first picture there is a bump right below the end of the Glock grip to prevent pinching.

Gunsmithing

Gunsmithing

Last edited by ubimow; 03-08-2012 at 18:59..
ubimow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 19:05   #13
Bluescot

I have a G27 and love that short stock. I just hold the thing with the second and third finger only and let the pinky float. You can squeeze fairly hard with those 2 fingers and I place the index of my left UNDER the trigger to support the weight of the gun.

In concealment issues it's usually the grip that is harder to hide while barrel length isn't quite the same issue and easier to hide.
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 23:51   #14
Veedubklown

I use the Pearce PG-39 +2 extension, and it tends to pinch in the front on the pinky. Little 220 grit, cake.

Gunsmithing

I usually shoot it at the range though with just g17 mags. Even when I CCW, I carry a G17 mag in my weak pocket for spare, in case of a mag failure.

Gunsmithing

The sleeves are bulky, and goofy. I didn't like em. Some do, I shot this G26 in IDPA for about 2 years.
Old 05-02-2012, 00:12   #15
rilkil23

Exactly why I went with a G22 over the smaller G27. My wife has the Ruger SR9c and it pinches when shooting and bites when reloading the higher capacity magazines with the grip extensions. Little sucker hurts.
rilkil23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 00:41   #16
Veedubklown

Had I known then what I know now, I would have gotten a 19. Not that 26 is bad, but the 19 is better all around. The extra length is negligible, and the grip length isn't much to more to tuck. I've been considering a commander sized 1911 for CCW, though.