SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-18-2012, 14:07   #1
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Bersa Thunder .22 vs Ruger SR22

I'm looking for a long lasting .22 plinking pistol and my two options are below, anyone own one our can help me make a decision.

The Ruger SR22

http://www.ruger.com/products/sr22Pistol/models.html

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22P.htm

Rimfire Forum

Or the Bersa Thunder .22
http://www.bersa.com/bersa-firearms/thunder-series.html

http://www.gunblast.com/Bersa-Thunder22.htm

Rimfire Forum
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 14:34   #2
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Browning Buckmark.

I only have experience with the Bersa T380 and as a .380 it is fine, but what you can get out of a .22lr pistol, I wouldn't waste with a similar framed .22lr. There are way better designed .22lr pistols than that model Bersa. I have no opinion on the Ruger.

ETA: Why are those your only two options? And is this for target shooting or self defense? If Self defense, niether. Step up to a .380 Bersa or Walther PK380 at minimum if you are set on a smaller frame semi auto pistol.

Last edited by LA_357SIG; 04-18-2012 at 14:39..
LA_357SIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 16:57   #3
CMG

I've owned both and between those two, I'd go for the Bersa.
Old 04-18-2012, 19:15   #4
todd river

I did a lot of research on 22 pistols before I made
my purchase. Initially I shot the walther 22 & it
was a fun pistol to shoot. Its small like the 2 pistols
that you have described, but these pistols are not
made to last a long time.

A ruger markIII/buckmark for the same amount of
$$ will probably last you a lifetime. You give up the
small lightweight framed pistol. Although you will be
surprised how accurate these pistols are in comparison.

You will find some 22 pistols are picky about what ammo
they will shoot. So far my ruger markIII has shot everything
without a problem, and I only shoot bulk ammo at the range.

Last edited by todd river; 04-18-2012 at 19:17..
todd river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:46   #5
Bilbo Bagins
Slacked jawed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
Browning Buckmark.

I only have experience with the Bersa T380 and as a .380 it is fine, but what you can get out of a .22lr pistol, I wouldn't waste with a similar framed .22lr. There are way better designed .22lr pistols than that model Bersa. I have no opinion on the Ruger.

ETA: Why are those your only two options? And is this for target shooting or self defense? If Self defense, niether. Step up to a .380 Bersa or Walther PK380 at minimum if you are set on a smaller frame semi auto pistol.
It is not for self defense, but more as a first step training pistol for the kids, and whoever else to eventual move up to a self defense centerfire pistol. I like to teach new pistol shooters with a DA/SA, manual safety pistol.

And for the record, I had a Ruger MKIII standard in stainless, that was pretty looking , but a worthless POS jam-o-matic that required mallet to reassemble. I traded it for a Sig Mosquito which ironically worked very well and shot almost 1000 rounds with zero issues, but I did not like the trigger and the thick grips for the kids, and long term durability was very questionable.

So for right now the Bersa and the Ruger SR22 are the only two 22 pistols, that would make a good trainer for a centerfire gun, and are not made of some zinc alloy in a Airsoft factory.

Last edited by Bilbo Bagins; 04-20-2012 at 07:56..
Bilbo Bagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 15:24   #6
CMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Bagins View Post

So for right now the Bersa and the Ruger SR22 are the only two 22 pistols, that would make a good trainer for a centerfire gun, and are not made of some zinc alloy in a Airsoft factory.
Not Zinc, but the Ruger SR-22P is still struggling with accelerated slide wear from the steel slide stop.

In terms of durability I think the Bersa is the more proven.
Old 04-19-2012, 19:11   #7
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Liking my SR22 Pistol so far. 400 flawless rounds through it. Not a single hiccup. Will go shoot it some more tomorrow. Just ordered four more magazines for it tonight.

Last edited by racer88; 04-19-2012 at 19:12..
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 19:47   #8
bac1023

I'd get a Ruger Mark series pistol over either of those.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 15:39   #9
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
It is not for self defense, but more as a first step training pistol for the kids, and whoever else to eventual move up to a self defense centerfire pistol. I like to teach new pistol shooters with a DA/SA, manual safety pistol.

And for the record, I had a Ruger MKIII standard in stainless, that was pretty looking , but a worthless POS jam-o-matic that required mallet to reassemble. I traded it for a Sig Mosquito which ironically worked very well and shot almost 1000 rounds with zero issues, but I did not like the trigger and the thick grips for the kids, and long term durability was very questionable.

I must have got the exception with my son's P-22. It never jams even with cheap Remington Golden Bullet. We shot the hell out of it with the suppressor and the slide hasn't cracked. I bought it back in '05 and we have had to put well over 10,000 rounds through it. My son is now 11 and he shoots my Buckmark and MP-22. I would just get a Buckmark and let the little hands grow into it. But that is just my opinion. YMMV.
Old 04-20-2012, 16:07   #10
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

As of today... 550 flawless rounds through my SR-22. Mostly Federal bulk (Walmart). Some CCI. Not a single malfunction from the day I took it out of the box.
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 17:14   #11
tjpet

Bought the GF a Bersa .22 back in March. Great shooter and very well-built considering what's available in that area of the market. Toughest part was finding one as not many are imported compared to their .380 model.

The piece needs a stiffer round to function properly and the only bulk ammo that runs it 100% is CCI Blazer. Of course CCI Mini Mags and the various hyper rounds like Stingers function well, also, although a bit too expensive to run for plinking forays.

Accuracy is somewhere between a plinker and a target gun. It'll plop them all into the same hole but, being a lightweight CC/hiking piece, you'll have to hold it pretty steady. As we say in these parts it's "a minute-of-jackrabbit" accurate shooter.

So far 3,000+ rounds down the pipe and all is well. Super easy to take down and clean, adjustable sights, steel slide with aluminum frame, accurate enough and cheap ($275 OTD) I haven't found anything to dislike about the Bersa .22 as yet.
tjpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 21:22   #12
rvanpelt

Haven't even seen a Bersa .22 but...I just picked up a Ruger SR22 yesterday to give my wife an I a cheap shooting alternative to my .45 Glock and her Kahr CW 9mm. Only shot it 150 rounds or so, but we're really impressed with its accuracy, reliability and ability to shoot Federal bulk with only a hickup or two, old shells that just wouldn't fire (no fault of the gun). Time will tell, but so far, we LOVE it!!
Rod
Rimfire Forum
I forgot to include the extra mag.
Rimfire Forum
rvanpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 16:51   #13
Bluescot

I have the Firestorm .22lr auto which is virtually the same as the Bersa as it is also made at Bersa. I am well pleased with the accuracy of this pocket rocket and would take it out hunting if ranges where under 30 yards.

Mine took a while to sight in and thankfully it has adjustable sights and comes with a Hogue-like rubber finger grooved grip on it.

It seems to function the best with sold point ammo at 40 grains. It will run all day with any bulk ammo as long as it is the 40 grain stuff. I guess that's the added weight of the bullet providing more punch to operate the slide.

The Bersa/Firestorm guns are a great value. Not the best guns just the best values with many years of service in them. I own a Bersa 380 and it's accuracy and functioning far exceeded my expectations for a pocket pistol.

The Ruger has been getting some great reviews and it's a RUGER. It will last forever and there is a great company behind.

Tough choice. If someone is looking to train with a .22 for a Walther like shooter than I would go with the Bersa. Or if they are looking for a deep CC the Bersa is the ticket. Fot general plinking/training the Ruger offers a lot.
Bluescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:27   #14
Citroen

If you are still shopping

I do not own the SR-22 (do have a Ruger Mark I bull barrel bought new in 1958) but bought a Bersa Thunder .22 last year.

I bought the Bersa to use in training new shooters as I wanted something with minimum recoil and noise so that they could concentrate on sight picture and trigger control.

The Bersa is ammo picky and at first I hated the gun. After I stopped trying to use any ammo except CCI Blazer, I really began to like the gun. Perfect for my purpose.

Trigger scales at 10 pounds double action and 5 pounds single action with a nice break in the SA mode.

Extra magazines are a problem - when you can find them, which is not often, they are expensive.

I would like to try the new Ruger but so far have not even touched one.

Good luck with your selection.
John
Charlotte, NC
Citroen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:59   #15
tcruse

I think that the Mk iii is a better choice for range practice. They can be a pain to clean, but if that is an issue get a mkii hammer bushing and hammer, remove the mag safety. That fixes the two problems with the gun, namely the long assembly sequence and the mags having to be pried out.
Mine has a bit of a problem with Remington gree box bulk, but likes the federal 550/525 bulk backs. Out of about 3000 federal rounds, no misdeeds.
tcruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 15:47   #16
twag4

I have an SR22p (i bought it for my 14 yo son) with over 1000 rounds through it now and I defy anyone to find slide wear on it. The earliest versions may have had an issue with the slide stop, but Ruger has it fixed. It is flawless now on wal mart bulk pack federal ammo and everything else. The only marks are a ghost smiley on the barrel from the hole in the slide. Buy one, it is fun. Not ammo picky at all.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29   #17
shockglock

I have owned both of these guns. The Bersa is a very nice gun except that it is very finicky with ammo. You can't run the cheap stuff through it without malfunctions every couple of shots. When I ran CCI's through it it ran well. I got rid of it after about a couple of months. I've had the SR22 for a couple of months, but only have a few hundred rounds through it. I have not ran any cheap ammo through it yet so I can't say what would happen there. I have ran middle of the road ammo through it and it has performed flawlessly. Others that I have talked to at my LGS said they run the cheap stuff with it and have had minimal malfunctions. I think I'll have the SR22 for a long time and have no regrets about getting rid of the Bersa.
shockglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 13:31   #18
jmaj

I have a Firestorm - 100% feed reliable on Blazers and interestingly, Remington subsonics. I like the PPK look and feel.
jmaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 15:20   #19
Bob Hafler

I have a Ruger MKIII 22/45 and think it a great pistol, but if given the choice of the Ruger SR22 or the Bersa Thunder 22 I'd take the Bersa. I had a BT .380 and loved the feel of that pistol.
Bob Hafler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 17:41   #20
JaPes
Rimfire 1010101

Quote:
It is not for self defense, but more as a first step training pistol for the kids,
IMO, the Ruger SR22 looks like a good fit for your intended purpose. It's compact, light, and has a decent DA/SA trigger.
JaPes is offline   Reply With Quote