Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2014, 17:01   #1
PattonT

Federal 9bp compared to 9bple

I know the velocity difference and the energy difference. In fact the the 9bple is nickel cased where 9bp is brass. My question is how many 9bple rounds would you test through a Shield and a G26 before you felt comfortable carrying them?

Both guns have been tested with 9bp (50rds each)and have never malfunctioned with them or anything else. Total round count on both is about 500 each.

I scored a few boxes but I do not want to waist them at the range. Self-defense 9mm ammo is still hard to come by at any price. It is to my understanding that neither one of those loadings are prone to reliability issues in anything.
Old 06-16-2014, 17:25   #2
Adamz04

None. Tnoutdoors9 did a couple of test on 9bp on you tube and they failed to expand both times if I recall. Apparently that round needs the extra velocity. They are probably better than fmj but I wouldn't carry them.
Old 06-16-2014, 20:37   #3
PattonT

I have actually seen that test. However, that is just a test and the street statistics are among some of the best of all 9mm ammo. I have recovered Gold Dots(loaded by Buffalo Bore) that did not expand either. I may not even bother with G26 because I have so much premium .40 ammo and a G27.
Old 06-16-2014, 21:30   #4
collim1
Shower Time!

Don't know about you, but I can't afford to shoot hundreds of rounds of my JHP load to function test. If it cycles with several hundred rounds of FMJ I shoot two to three mags of my JHP. If they cycle then I consider it reliable. IMO, if there is a problem it will be evident in a few rounds. Its not going to cycle 30 rds, and then magically start stove piping.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:09   #5
Tiro Fijo

All bets are off in 9mm's with barrels less than 4" using old cup and core JHP's. For short barrels use a more modern JHP.
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:27   #6
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PattonT View Post
...My question is how many 9bple rounds would you test through a Shield and a G26 before you felt comfortable carrying them?
I haven't checked in the last year, but when I asked a couple guys I know at S&W about ammunition approved for use in the Shield 9, I was told that +P+ was NOT approved for use in it.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36   #7
PattonT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
I haven't checked in the last year, but when I asked a couple guys I know at S&W about ammunition approved for use in the Shield 9, I was told that +P+ was NOT approved for use in it.
I actually know that it is not but what is a man to do? I am sick of the non-existant 9mm defense ammo. I could pay >$1 per round for the 20 round boxes but I really don't want to.

I am not concerned about the G26 as I have just decided to continue carrying the G27.
Old 06-17-2014, 16:29   #8
Jim

Some of the online ammo sellers have 9BPLE on a regular basis, and the prices are often reasonable. Keep looking, and be a little patient.

Best of luck to you.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 16:46   #9
PattonT

I actually bought four boxes; it was all they had. I have been using regular 9bp. I was hoping that since I have tested a box of 9bp already that I could reasonably get by with testing only about a dozen of the 9bple to save it from excessive wear.
Old 06-17-2014, 19:27   #10
AL Bundy's Dodge

If the gun works with 9bp, why wouldn't it work with 9bple?

Same bullet, just more powerful. If anything, it will cycle better.

I say load up the gun with 9bple and don't give it another thought

Last edited by AL Bundy's Dodge; 06-17-2014 at 19:29.. Reason: Poor spelling!
AL Bundy's Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 19:36   #11
PattonT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL Bundy's Dodge View Post
If the gun works with 9bp, why wouldn't it work with 9bple?
That's what I am hoping; That it will cycle the same.
Old 06-17-2014, 19:47   #12
AL Bundy's Dodge

I think it will be fine, don't over think it.
AL Bundy's Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 23:12   #13
DEADEYEGUY

Before they boosted the early 115gr. 9mm rounds to +P+ speeds most would not expand reliably. The 9BP had a good reputation for a standard velocity round. But the round that really put the 9mm JHP on the map so to speak was the 115gr. +P+ JHP.
Rather in it's Winchester, Remington, or whatever flavor the 115gr. +P+ round was used with great sucess by the Illinois State Police, Border Patrol, Secret Service and many others. The older designs needed the speed to have a good chance of opening. Most were used in guns with at least 4" barrels. I had and tested in various mediums some of the old Remington 115gr. +P+ bullets at one time. They worked great out of my CZ75 with an almost 5" barrel. The same rounds out of my SIG 239 with a sub 4" barrel were iffy.
In guns with a 4" or more barrel I'd be o.k. with the 9BPLE. In guns like the S&W 39 they worked well. In smaller barreled guns the more modern designs are the way to go. And places like SG Ammo and others get them in fairly frequently. And much cheaper than the 20 round civilian boxes. Just have to keep checking. Just got a bunch of 50 round boxes of 124gr. +P HST's from them for around $30.00+/- with shipping. Hard to find a better round.
DEADEYEGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:57   #14
Jim

FWIW, I've chronographed the same lots of 9BPLE through both my Browning Hi Power and my Glock 19. The G19 loses about 25 fps average of 10 shots, compared to the HP.

I don't worry about it.

But although the bullet profile is identical, I would not be confident that both std press and +P+ will function the same. I had one G19 mag that would feed standard pressure Winchester 115 JHP but not the +P+ loading of the same bullet.

In today's conditions, test firing is a *****.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:50   #15
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
...But although the bullet profile is identical, I would not be confident that both std press and +P+ will function the same. I had one G19 mag that would feed standard pressure Winchester 115 JHP but not the +P+ loading of the same bullet.

In today's conditions, test firing is a *****.

That's why it's wise to upgrade to Wolff 10% Xtra mag springs for Glocks when using +p & +p+ ammo:

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ID=1&mID=5#148
Tiro Fijo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 11:51   #16
hotpig
CLM Number 211
IAFF Local 4766

I would not assume that the 9BP and the 9BPLE both will function the same. The stakes are way too high if you are using it as a defensive gun.

You are not going to hurt that G26 by shooting some +P+ ammo. My Glock is a second Gen and has seen many hundreds of rounds of +P and +P+ this decade alone.

I have shot the three loads with the same bullet the 9BP, 9BPLE, and the XM9001. So far no issue in the G17, Colt 1991 and my Kahr CW9.
Old 06-18-2014, 12:55   #17
PattonT

I think I will sacrifice a full box for testig in the Shield. I won't worry about the G26 too much since I have a G27. I have been mainly carrying the Shield with some 9bp and some Critical Duty or a j frame.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:02   #18
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
That's why it's wise to upgrade to Wolff 10% Xtra mag springs for Glocks when using +p & +p+ ammo:

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...ID=1&mID=5#148
I tried the extra power mag springs from Wolf, and also factory G17 mag springs in the G19 mags. Neither solved the problem, wich was intermittant.

Finally had to buy new mags, turned out that Gen 2 mags in a Gen 3 G19 were not a reliable combo with +P+.

Hoodathunkit?
Old 06-23-2014, 17:27   #19
PattonT

The 9bple was chronographed out of the Shield and a Glock 19. The Shield projects the 115gr +p+ at 1255fps. The Glock 19 was 60fps more than the Shield.
Old 06-23-2014, 23:47   #20
unit1069

The 9BPLE ammo I've shot through my Steyr S9-A1 has been flawless. But so too has a lot of other premium JHP self-defense ammos.

I haven't shot any 9BP because I really don't see the reason to buy that ammo when I can buy the 9BPLE at the same price. I've still seen it offered online recently for less that $20/box of 50.

The 9BPLE is a great poor man's self-defense 9mm ammo for pistols built to withstand +P+ pressure rounds. There's a bit of concern about penetration, but the street cred factor of an explosive impact event speaks for itself.

Last edited by unit1069; 06-23-2014 at 23:51..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote