Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-16-2014, 19:57   #1
john31125

10mm ammo question please. advice needed

hello iam new to 10 mm and my understanding is the lighter the bullet the less penetration? just want to make sure iam not carrying overpowered ammo . i use it for self defense carry at a supermarket in Detroit Michigan. its a rather lively area, and due to hold ups in the area, where barriers are a likely problem . i want to know what grain ammo will give me adequate barrier penetration if needed. also if theres no barriers not over penetrate the perp resulting in risk of innocents being hurt . ive shot my glock 20 gen 4 quite a bit feel confident and like shooting it better than my 40w. plan to keep training. but several gun store so called experts told me no matter the grain the 10mm is over kill in anything besides hunting . i trust the glock talk experts better . advice is well appreciated thanks and god bless p.s i have 165 and 155 corbon jhp as of now
john31125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 21:09   #2
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by john31125 View Post
plan to keep training. but several gun store so called experts told me no matter the grain the 10mm is over kill in anything besides hunting . i trust the glock talk experts better . advice is well appreciated thanks and god bless p.s i have 165 and 155 corbon jhp as of now
As always, avoid gun shop employees, most know little to nothing gun related. They just want to sell you stuff. There are not a lot of good sd options on full power 10mm. The 175gr WSTHP is a very good load. The 180gr xtp also a good full power load. You can buy from double tap as well, just stay away from bullets heavier thn 180gr & I prefer non bonded for better expansion & slightly less penetration in soft targets. I really am not concerned with barrier penetration for a sd/HD round.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:55   #3
Big1

I pick up some 180gr double tap today for the 29 that I'm planning on getting, the Underwood 135gr from what I've seen is pretty good also.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 02:07   #4
Tiro Fijo

There is little that a 10mm has over a .40 S&W for self defense with solid Street proven rounds. As well, the 10mm Glocks are larger & bulkier with a G23 far handier to CCW than a large G20. As Fred said, quit listening to the gunshop window lickers as they are in it for the money or chest puffing. Finally, .40 S&W ammo is cheaper if you don't reload.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29   #5
Clusterfrack

My G4 20 is a backcountry gun for me. The OEM recoil spring assembly was too light for my full power reloads. I swapped in a 24# IMSI spring and it works very well. However, I don't like modded guns for primary CCW use, so even if carrying a 10mm on a regular basis made sense to me (it doesn't), I wouldn't carry this gun. I would choose a G17 for your situation.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:26   #6
dpadams6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
There is little that a 10mm has over a .40 S&W for self defense with solid Street proven rounds. As well, the 10mm Glocks are larger & bulkier with a G23 far handier to CCW than a large G20. As Fred said, quit listening to the gunshop window lickers as they are in it for the money or chest puffing. Finally, .40 S&W ammo is cheaper if you don't reload.
Agreed. There's not much advantage of 10mm over 40 for self defense purposes. For self defense, I use only big company factory made ammo. In 10mm, you have Winchester silvertip 175. I don't feel that is any better than the gold dot, ranger t, or hst in 40. Heck, id take the newer 40 over the old design silvertip any day.
You could get underwood, but your talking a lot more recoil than is neccesary.
Just my opinion.
dpadams6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 23:19   #7
tdreis45

Old 06-20-2014, 23:30   #8
Tiro Fijo

Well, I certainly know what pistol to use the next time I find myself in the middle of a stampede!!

Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 22:01   #9
Batts

The range of ammo loaded for the 10mm is extensive and ranges from the 'FBI' load of 180gr at 1050fps(high subsonic), which is the full power 40sw load that came to be developed from the 10mm, to velocities up to 1300 to 1500 fps for hunting hogs, deer, and bear.

These might go through more than one person.

Check the details on how powerful any ammo you use is.

The 'FBI' load is typically recommended for 'social work' in crowded places.

Proper expansion reduces penetration, and tears 'em up inside, reducing risk to bystanders.

If heavy coats in winter are the norm, to hide shotguns in, then perhaps a heavier 200gr bullet is appropriate.

Even these loads are found in 40sw thanks to new smaller powder that allows the space in the smaller 40sw.

So, you have a fine weapon and w/ the 6in barrel it's better w/ the hot loads.

And stock you can shoot modest self defense rounds.

Some folks shoot 40sw right out of the magazine just fine.

The 40sw cartridge is held in place by the extractor.

Cheaper plinking and practice.

If you shoot alot of hot loads, a heavier spring will reduce some of the bottoming out of the action.

The factory spring has to be light enough to cycle the 'FBI' load.

It's a similar comparison between the .45ACP and the .45Super.

Batts
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06   #10
GotFour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
Well, I certainly know what pistol to use the next time I find myself in the middle of a stampede!!

Yup, that's Detroit!
GotFour is offline   Reply With Quote