Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-27-2014, 12:48   #1
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

Underwood Ammo in .380: Stay Away (Maybe)

Speer Gold Dots have been my go-to ammo for years, but recently I decided that I should go with Hornady XTP bullets in my LCP because they have been shown to perform better. I can't find any Hornady Custom XTP in .380, so I started looking around at manufacturers who use the XTP in their loads.

I'd heard good things about Underwood Ammo, and they make a standard pressure .380 load with an XTP bullet. So I bought three boxes to test out for reliability. Out of all 150 rounds, I had about 15 failures to extract.

For comparison's sake, I shot some of my old Gold Dots that I needed to cycle out of my carry system. Not a single failure. The recoil was lighter, and the flash was much less pronounced than with the Underwoods.

Wilson Combat also makes some custom .380 loads using XTP bullets, so I may give them a try at some point. But for now I can't recommend Underwood Ammo, at least not in .380.

Last edited by libarts.tech; 02-28-2014 at 09:07..
libarts.tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:53   #2
carsplanes&guns

What pistol? And were the cases bulged or cracked? I use Speer gold dots in my BG .380 they work great
carsplanes&guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:55   #3
amd65

Send a message via Yahoo to amd65
"...For comparison's sake, I shot some of my old Gold Dots that I needed to cycle out of my carry system. Not a single failure. The recoil was lighter, and the flash was much less pronounced than with the Underwoods..."

What is the "carry system" you were shooting?
Old 02-27-2014, 13:07   #4
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd65 View Post
"...For comparison's sake, I shot some of my old Gold Dots that I needed to cycle out of my carry system. Not a single failure. The recoil was lighter, and the flash was much less pronounced than with the Underwoods..."

What is the "carry system" you were shooting?
Just rotating out old ammo. Nothing special. If it's a year old I shoot it and load up some fresh rounds and carry it. When I carry my LCP I also have two backup mags. So that's about 20 rounds that I rotate in and out every year. Probably not necessary, but at least I get a chance to practice what I shoot with.
Old 02-27-2014, 13:07   #5
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsplanes&guns View Post
What pistol? And were the cases bulged or cracked? I use Speer gold dots in my BG .380 they work great
Ruger LCP. No Bulged or cracked cases.
Old 02-27-2014, 13:45   #6
dkf

What is the COAL of the Underwood? LCPs tend to like loads well under max COAL.

Black Hills makes .380 with the 90gr XTP bullet. Also the Federal Hydra Shok surprisingly does pretty good in .380 form. I have quite a few 90gr XTP laods (both Hornady and my handloads) through my LCP without issues.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 13:57   #7
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post

Black Hills makes .380 with the 90gr XTP bullet. Also the Federal Hydra Shok surprisingly does pretty good in .380 form. I have quite a few 90gr XTP laods (both Hornady and my handloads) through my LCP without issues.
No idea. That could be exactly what the problem is for all I know.
Old 02-27-2014, 14:39   #8
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by libarts.tech View Post
Just rotating out old ammo. Nothing special. If it's a year old I shoot it and load up some fresh rounds and carry it...

You're wasting money as modern ammo doesn't go "sour" like milk.
Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 14:55   #9
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiro Fijo View Post
You're wasting money as modern ammo doesn't go "sour" like milk.
I'm getting some practice time in with the ammo that I carry year-round. Not what I would call a waste of my money.

Last edited by libarts.tech; 02-27-2014 at 14:55..
Old 02-27-2014, 14:58   #10
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Just out of curiosity, what brass is Underwood using for their .380's
OldSchool64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 15:33   #11
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Here's an FYI;

If a pistols chamber is too lose (as in over sized) brass can expand beyond it's point of elasticity and put excess pressure on the chamber walls causing problems with extraction.

Not saying that's the problem here but still can't help but wonder if it's a brass issue
Old 02-27-2014, 15:39   #12
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:
Ruger LCP. No Bulged or cracked cases.
Have you tried reinserting a spent case (that's failed to extract) back into the chamber and check to see if it feels sticky?
Old 02-27-2014, 15:54   #13
Wishoot

Interesting.

I bought a couple hundred rounds of their standard pressure 100gr. HCFN a while back and it feeds perfectly. Sorry to hear the JHP's don't work as well.
Wishoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 15:59   #14
amd65

Send a message via Yahoo to amd65
Can't wait to try out the +P XTP 380 ammo I bought from Underwood for my Beretta 84F.
Old 02-27-2014, 16:44   #15
libarts.tech
Charles Wagoner

To OldSchool64:

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what brass is Underwood using for their .380's
No idea what brand this is, but on the back of the brass it has *—* (star, dash, star) and then the caliber. It is also plain brass, not nickel plated stuff.

Quote:
If a pistols chamber is too lose (as in over sized) brass can expand beyond it's point of elasticity and put excess pressure on the chamber walls causing problems with extraction.
Quote:
Have you tried reinserting a spent case (that's failed to extract) back into the chamber and check to see if it feels sticky?
Too late to look now. I went shooting on my lunch break and didn't keep any of the spent casings. But I do have another 50 rounds of this stuff. After I inspect my gun to make sure everything is working correctly, I'll go shoot the remaining 50 and pay extra close attention to the state of the spent casings and report back.

To DKF:

Quote:
I don't have any way of measuring precisely, but holding the Underwood round next to a Gold Dot, Winchester target, and Speer Lawman, the Underwood's COAL is definitely higher. No idea by how much, but it's noticeable. The casings all seem to be the same length. Does it matter that the XTP has a pointier nose so that even though it's longer it's not necessarily any wider than the others?
Old 02-27-2014, 18:52   #16
OldSchool64
Platinum Membership

Quote:

No idea what brand this is, but on the back of the brass it has *—* (star, dash, star) and then the caliber. It is also plain brass, not nickel plated stuff.

That's Starline Brass, Some of the best there is IMO.

Sounds like DKF may be onto something with the cartridge overall length.

Also have to say;
Great that you're getting plenty of shooting in with SD loads, this is why everyone should test fire for any reliability issues.
Old 02-27-2014, 20:11   #17
dkf

Quote:
To DKF:
I don't have any way of measuring precisely, but holding the Underwood round next to a Gold Dot, Winchester target, and Speer Lawman, the Underwood's COAL is definitely higher. No idea by how much, but it's noticeable. The casings all seem to be the same length. Does it matter that the XTP has a pointier nose so that even though it's longer it's not necessarily any wider than the others?
The Underwood having longer combined overall may just be the issue. A dial or electronic caliper is good thing to keep on hand for occasions like this. Plus they come in handy for many other things.

The pointier nose on the XTP helps with feeding more than anything. Like I said I have never had any issues with XTP bullets in my LCP or any of my other pistols. I use 90gr, 115gr, 124gr and 147 .356 XTPs quite a bit.

The LCP has a fairly generous chamber and feed ramp, definitely not a tight chamber. This helps with reliability but can work the brass a little more. Starline makes good brass and is rougher than most.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 20:17   #18
Berto
woo woo

Some guns don't always run on everyone's ammo. It didn't work in yours, which sucks, but I'm not going to avoid Underwood because it didn't run well in one guys elsiepea.
Old 02-27-2014, 22:06   #19
unit1069

Quote:
I'd heard good things about Underwood Ammo, and they make a standard pressure .380 load with an XTP bullet. So I bought three boxes to test out for reliability. Out of all 150 rounds, I had about 15 failures to extract.

For comparison's sake, I shot some of my old Gold Dots that I needed to cycle out of my carry system. Not a single failure.
So why overthink the problem when the solution is right in front of you?

A failure rate of 10% for a carry round is unacceptable. Stick with your proven Gold Dot ammo.
Old 02-27-2014, 22:13   #20
Spectral Monk

Quote:
But for now I can't recommend Underwood Ammo, at least not in .380.
Thank you. I almost pulled the trigger on 1/2 a case of Underwood last night. Glad I didn't.
Spectral Monk is offline   Reply With Quote