Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-16-2012, 18:04   #1
Samned2003

SW Shield vs Ruger LC9

I recently purchased a Ruger LC9 and I have been really impressed with it. This model had a Crimson Trace laser installed at the factory. I am getting exceptional accuracy out of this pistol. It is shooting a 2.5 inch group at 20 yards with the laser. Anyway I just saw that Smith Wesson has released the shield. What does the SW Shield offer that the Ruger LC9 does not?

Has anyone compared these side by side?

Samned2003
Samned2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 18:12   #2
collim1
Shower Time!

I have not shot either but handled them both in the shop today. The Shield I handled had a manual safety, but no mag disconnect.

I dont think one is better than the other honestly, they are about the same size. The main reason I would lean towards the Shield vs the Ruger is cosmetic.

I cant get over that ridiculous LCI in the Ruger. Its so heinous its a deal breaker for me.

I am waiting to get my paws on a XDs .45 before I make any decision.
collim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 18:34   #3
WiskyT
Malcontent

One difference seems to be the trigger. I haven't handled a Shield, but from what I read on here, the Shiled has a Glock type short and light trigger. Some think this is a good thing. Personally, for a defensive pistol, I think anything short of a HORRIBLE trigger is equal to a mediocre trigger and of little consequence in terms of shooting. You're not using the thing in Olympic competition. BUT, the LC9's true double action only type trigger allows it to be Mexican carried like a revolver. An LC9 tucked in the wasteband, safety off, is safe and very slim. I wouldn't carry any of my Glocks or an M&P like that. So a holster is needed and that adds bulk and is a PITA to take on and off for those times when you have to take the gun off to enter say a Government building etc.

I have no problem hitting a paper plate at 25 yards with my LC9 and I doubt the Shield will do any better, and if it did, it wouldn't matter. So I prefer the LC9's trigger.

"If you kill enough of them, they stop fighting."-General Curtis E. LeMay
WiskyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 18:43   #4
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock

I have both and am selling my LC9. I've not taken the M&P to the range yet but I've dry fired it about 200x and that's enough for me. It's just like my Pro only smaller. My biggest gripes with the LC9 were the trigger an mag safety. Still, it was a good pistol, I'm just a striker kinda guy.

Size-wise they are very similar. Eyeballing it, the LC9 slide might be 1mm thinner, but im not sure. The grip on the Shield also looks about 1mm or so thinner than the LC9, but isn't tapered as much... Here's my LC9/Shield/G26...

General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works

Last edited by T-Rod45; 04-16-2012 at 18:44..
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 18:43   #5
MinnesnowtaWild

You mexican carry your LC9???

I will have to decide between the LC9 and the Shield in the near future. I also like the CM9 from Kahr...it seems smaller than both.

The thing that really sets the Shield apart from the LC9 is going to be the trigger. The LC9 would be a fantastic gun if it had a better, shorter trigger. Other than that, the LC9 is lighter.
MinnesnowtaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 18:46   #6
TSAX
USAF Vet

, not a fan of the LC9 trigger, hope to get a chance to shoot the M&P Shield soon. On first impressions/reviews Id prefer the M&P Shield. I like that I can put XS Big Dots on the M&P Shield and since Im a fan of the M&P series but I'll know for sure when I shoot it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

GSSF Member
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

NRA Member
TSAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 18:47   #7
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesnowtaWild View Post
You mexican carry your LC9???
Absolutely. I stick it in my wasteband and cinch up my web belt and it's locked in until I need it. Comfortable as can be and If I need to take it off, I just slip it out and and slide it back in when I put it back on.

Old 04-16-2012, 18:52   #8
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rod45 View Post
General Firearms Forum

General Firearms Forum
Judging from the pics, the LC9 looks better for pocket carry. The slide is thinner and melted better, and the angle on the back of the slide allows it to slip out of a pocket easily. Also, the LC9 grip looks a LRCH shorter on the backstrap which would hel it slide out more easily as well.

Thanks for posting them.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:04   #9
TSAX
USAF Vet

General Firearms ForumGeneral Firearms ForumGeneral Firearms ForumGeneral Firearms ForumGeneral Firearms Forum

GSSF Member

NRA Member
Old 04-17-2012, 02:05   #10
TSAX
USAF Vet

General Firearms Forum
General Firearms Forum

Not my pics

GSSF Member

NRA Member

Last edited by TSAX; 04-17-2012 at 02:05..
Old 04-17-2012, 02:15   #11
cowboywannabe
you savvy?

im really considering keeping my LC9 and putting a laserlite on it. that is the most affordable, neatest, easiest to mount, no special holster for it laser ive seen.

Facts are no match against enthusiasm and ignorance...
cowboywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:47   #12
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiskyT View Post
One difference seems to be the trigger. I haven't handled a Shield, but from what I read on here, the Shiled has a Glock type short and light trigger. Some think this is a good thing. Personally, for a defensive pistol, I think anything short of a HORRIBLE trigger is equal to a mediocre trigger and of little consequence in terms of shooting. You're not using the thing in Olympic competition. BUT, the LC9's true double action only type trigger allows it to be Mexican carried like a revolver. An LC9 tucked in the wasteband, safety off, is safe and very slim. I wouldn't carry any of my Glocks or an M&P like that. So a holster is needed and that adds bulk and is a PITA to take on and off for those times when you have to take the gun off to enter say a Government building etc.

I have no problem hitting a paper plate at 25 yards with my LC9 and I doubt the Shield will do any better, and if it did, it wouldn't matter. So I prefer the LC9's trigger.

why would I want to EVER "Mexican Carry" lol Never have never would never seen a reason to. That said I like the Ruger also. Id just take out the mag disconnect
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:32   #13
hamster
NRA Life Member

I had an LC9 which I got rid of in favor of an M&P9c. Of course that was before the shield came out. The LC9 had a problem trigger. Sometimes it was the standard very long revolver-like pull. Other times, the trigger would "Stick" at the back of it's pull and I'd have to pull like crazy (20-30lbs?) to get it to go bang. Oddly, I could not reproduce the issue with snapcaps, only live ammo. Perhaps the recoil was knocking something out of alignment, who knows...

Anyway, I've also tried a Kahr Pm9 in the past, which had a much better trigger, but a lousy reset. All I wished for was a sub-compact slim 9 that had a decent trigger similar to what one would find in a popular semi-auto like a Glock or M&P or XD. Till recently the only choice that fit the bill was the PPK.

Now we have a number of options coming out. The XDs seems to have a "real" trigger as does the Sig 938.
hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:04   #14
Chesafreak

I own an LC9. I was in my LGS after work yesterday, and they had a Shield selling for $450.

IMO,
Shield pros: The Shield has bigger sight dots, and the trigger is really good. I compared the Shield trigger pull to the M&P and the Shield was better.

Shield cons: The thumb safety is useless. The LC9 has just enough thumb safety to make it easy to disengage with a downward swipe of the thumb. I couldn't reliably disengage the Shield's safety because it was so small. If you buy a Shield, don't use the safety. I don't think you would be able to disengage the safety in the heat of the moment.
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:58   #15
T-Rod45
Loves The Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesafreak View Post

Shield cons: The thumb safety is useless. The LC9 has just enough thumb safety to make it easy to disengage with a downward swipe of the thumb. I couldn't reliably disengage the Shield's safety because it was so small. If you buy a Shield, don't use the safety. I don't think you would be able to disengage the safety in the heat of the moment.
This is what I'm doing. But then again, I did the same thing with my LC9...

I guess it's just because I'm so used to carrying mostly Glocks all the time.
•23 Gen4 (/19 conversion)
•M&P •Ruger •Smith&Wesson •Kel-Tec •Mossberg •LWRC •Glades Gun Works
T-Rod45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:06   #16
unit1069

The short-recess DAO trigger is my cup of tea and I'll definitely take a good look at the new Shield.
Old 04-17-2012, 13:01   #17
S&WGlocker

The MPS safety IS a functional and usefull aspect of this pistol.
Have had mine since release day.
Safety is a mother to engage, but a breeze to disengage, which is the way it should be.
The MPS is a great gun, not for everyone, but still a great gun.
Shooter....All 18 shot with a Glock!

As long as I am, I will be, when Im not, I wont care!
S&WGlocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 14:13   #18
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
why would I want to EVER "Mexican Carry" lol Never have never would never seen a reason to. That said I like the Ruger also. Id just take out the mag disconnect
When it's 105* in the sun and you're t-shirt is stuck to you like fly paper, it's nice to have the closest thing to nothing at all to reduce printing. Especially when you are in front of people who are looking right at your waist while your back is turned and your tying your kids shoe, bent over with your arms stretched out. Also, like I said, run into a place for ten minutes where you can't have a gun and everyone is suspicious that you might, and you have to have your shirt tucked in, it's nice to slip it out of your waist and into your pocket or to leave it behind all together for a few minutes. When you're done, you just shove it back in you pants.

Old 04-17-2012, 14:16   #19
WiskyT
Malcontent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post

Not my pics

Again, based only on the pics, the LC9 is a bit smaller here and there. Whether that matters or not is up to the individual.

Even if they're not your pics, thanks for posting them just the same. They illustrate, as well as a picture can, the areas that are critical to me.

Old 04-17-2012, 14:29   #20
Chesafreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&WGlocker View Post
The MPS safety IS a functional and usefull aspect of this pistol.
Have had mine since release day.
Safety is a mother to engage, but a breeze to disengage, which is the way it should be.
The MPS is a great gun, not for everyone, but still a great gun.
I tried repeatedly to swype the safety off without looking at it and couldn't do so reliably. I had to resort to looking at the pistol and using the tip of my thumb instead of swyping down like you would with a 1911 safety. Of course yours fits you and you like it, to each his own.

It has a really sweet trigger pull! I would love to buy one but have put off firearms purchases to pay down credit debt. Enjoy!
Chesafreak is offline   Reply With Quote