RMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock_your_world View Post
I use gold dots for everything.
Great approach!
RMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 14:31   #23
ted1

I don't understand hollow points are made to spread on impact thus reducing penatration. I would never use ball ammo for ccw or home defense. I stock up on cheap ball ammo aka range rounds because they are cheap I use them at the range and I would use them in a case where there was civil unrest where I had to defend my home and my family. Let's hope that never happens but you never know.

Sent from my ADR6300
ted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53   #24
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD View Post
I'm thinking that if it can't go through sheet rock, it's gonna have trouble with clothes, muscle, bones and such as well.
Yes, the whole point is to stop the attack as quickly and efficiently as possible so the best ammo is the one that functions most reliably and accurately in the gun.
Old 04-19-2012, 16:17   #25
Kentguy

Matthewmurray706,

I live in NE Ohio area, and around here most people I know have summer carry ammo & winter carry ammo. Sounds weird but in February it can get into the minus figures, folks bundle up... good folks and bad folks! However in summer it can get up into the high 90's, people dress a bit differently then. I think you know where I'm heading with this.

I just wanted to point out that in choosing CCW ammo; there are most definitely"other factors" to consider. My thoughts on “Home Defense” ammo are abit different, but not much.

I know this may sound very elementary but almost as important as which ammo to use - you need to put enough rounds through your gun so that whatever gun/ammo you are using they are not strangers to you. You MUST know how those rounds are going to shoot in your gun of choice.

Trust me... You have very little time to think/react when the s--t starts going down!

Last edited by Kentguy; 04-19-2012 at 16:18..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 19:51   #26
Blackshirt

Whether you are at the range, at home, or engaging a bad guy in a dark alley the rules are the same:
All guns are always loaded
Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on target
Be sure of your target and what is behind it
Never allow your muzzle to cover anything you're not willing to destroy

That said, use the best ammo you can find for the defense of yourself or others. If you cannot abide by the rules listed above, you should not possess a firearm.
Old 04-20-2012, 14:18   #27
truetopath

I always carry the same ammo whether I'm home or away. It's Gold Dots for me. I like consistency and not having to worry about whether I grabbed the right mag or not.
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 15:53   #28
fredj338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentguy View Post
Matthewmurray706,

I live in NE Ohio area, and around here most people I know have summer carry ammo & winter carry ammo. Sounds weird but in February it can get into the minus figures, folks bundle up... good folks and bad folks! However in summer it can get up into the high 90's, people dress a bit differently then. I think you know where I'm heading with this.

I just wanted to point out that in choosing CCW ammo; there are most definitely"other factors" to consider. My thoughts on “Home Defense” ammo are abit different, but not much.

I know this may sound very elementary but almost as important as which ammo to use - you need to put enough rounds through your gun so that whatever gun/ammo you are using they are not strangers to you. You MUST know how those rounds are going to shoot in your gun of choice.
]
I think too much is made out of winter clothing issues. Choose a good JHP that works well in 4 denim layers & just carry that all year, problem solved.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 04-20-2012 at 15:53..
fredj338 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 19:37   #29
ADK_40GLKr

Gold Dots

Just my opinion, based on my reading, and SOME testing in water jugs, but I have seen some of the HP's with smaller openings fail to expand, and over penetrate.

I got good expansion from Gold Dots and they have a good reputation. I think Mas has recommended Gold Dots and Ranger T's.
Old 04-20-2012, 20:09   #30
Teej

Matt, question, why are LEO's loaded with home defense ammo? Why should you be loaded any different?

What is your shooting background? How much training have you had with a qualified instructor?
Teej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:13   #31
Kentguy

Fred,
I certainly cannot disagree with your thinking here, a good JHP like Gold Dot’s asADK_40GLKr has suggested, will in most all situations “take care of business”. My viewpoint comes from several discussions that I have had with individuals who have had to pull and fire their weapons in one crisis situation or another. I myself have had to pull (but not fire) my weapon in some thug’s botched attemptat breaking into my home.

Only after you have gone through something like this and have had time to think/rethink the events do you start asking the questions concerning penetration, knock down power or what have you and over-penetration.

Now let me throw a wrench into my own thinking here, my friend is a retired police detective from Columbus, Ohio and his input is not to over-think this issue of “over penetration” too much, because his experience has been that most would-be robbers/assailants are not going to confront you in a well lit, crowded environment so if that bullet goes clean through him and out the other end, most likely noone will be “down range” to be affected by it anyway.

However if not for any other reason than my own conscious, I will still stick to my routine of changing bullets based on seasonal/clothing changes.

Just my thoughts

Last edited by Kentguy; 04-21-2012 at 08:16..
Kentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 09:14   #32
John Rambo
Raven

Home defense rounds?

Home defense or concealed carry, the only thing that should be in your pistols are Speer Gold Dots or Corbon hollowpoints.
John Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 00:17   #33
Mc45

Ok here's my skewed thoughts if I'm eat hi. Tv at ight door bell rings I'm answering it with gun I hand concealed defense rounds as in my ccw rounds but if im sleeping And i have a neex i grab my 12 gauage #9 bird shot I do not want to penetrate walls and shoot a neighbor
Gng
Mc45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 00:29   #34
Mc45

Wow that was a bad post didn't get to finish or clean it up sorry. I keep my shotgun chambered with #9 bird shot for late Night intrusions otherwise my. Ccw golden saber or my federal hydra shock is good enough I do not
Want to shoot in to a neighbors house I the middle of the night and possibly hit someone innocent
Old 05-01-2012, 00:32   #35
Mc45

Again I'm sorry for the bad post I worked 12 hours and my two shots of brandy is working well good night all.
Old 05-01-2012, 20:12   #36
Warp
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Yep. If it has enough energy to stop a BG, it has enough energy to tear through several layers of drywall. Those Glaser safety slugs are no exception, as they can definitely fail to penetrate deeply enough in a BG to give a reliable stop. Avoid them.
Yes .

I HIGHLY recommend Google Chrome and Adblock to all world wide web users. (I would have left GT a long time ago without these extensions!)
Warp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 20:21   #37
Bren
NRA Life Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewmurray706 View Post
I was wondering if anyone has input on using home defense rounds in your concealed carry gun. Is it a good idea to have 1 or 2 home defense rounds at the top of the magazine?
Caliber Corner

I started with handguns in 1987 - I've taught civilians and police, shot in competition, had training from a wide variety of sources...
...this is the first time the issue of putting "home defense rounds" in a concealed carry gun has ever come up.

Do some of you think there is a difference?
Bren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 21:15   #38
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mc45 View Post
Wow that was a bad post didn't get to finish or clean it up sorry. I keep my shotgun chambered with #9 bird shot for late Night intrusions otherwise my. Ccw golden saber or my federal hydra shock is good enough I do not
Want to shoot in to a neighbors house I the middle of the night and possibly hit someone innocent
I hope there's something more potent in the magazine immediately after that load of #9. As I mentioned earlier, if it has the power to stop an attacker, it has enough power to tear through interior walls. The inverse is also true. #9 bird shot isn't even close to adequate for stopping 2 legged threats.

Sent from the USS Sulaco, while nuking the site from orbit.
Old 05-01-2012, 21:23   #39
NJDrew1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplejack View Post
Well you can't really predict any situation you might be in and you probably will never have to use your gun in your life time for self defense. So picking out a ammo that might be good for one situation might not be as good for another.
I just loaded up with some Hornady Critical Defense FTX bullets and I think that will be a good choice for most situation you might come across.

Or you can just carry 4 clips with different rounds in each and then you will have options depending on your situation, just be sure to label your mags
If you do have to shoot someone, you have to use your own best judgement to determine if it is safe to shoot in that direction, no ammo is going to solve that issue.
Hornaday Critical Defense FTX here as well.
NJDrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 21:27   #40
Gnflorida

Please turn your firearms over immiaditly!! Cc rounds an HD are the same..point is to stop someone quickly..
Gnflorida is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
9mm, ccw, concealed carry ammo, federal guard dog, home defense rounds