Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 06-23-2013, 15:57   #1
PghJim

Effectiveness of Barnes Copper Bullets

I just got a new S&W SW1911SC and want to carry it for a while. Normally I go with 45 ACP 230gr HST +p, but I do not have any. I have six boxes (120 rounds) of Buffalo Bore 185gr +p tipped with Barnes bullets. They go just over 1,150fps out of my Commander length barrel.

I have not heard anything on the effectiveness of these copper bullets. Has anyone heard anything? Should I feel OK carrying them?
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 16:48   #2
Brian Lee
Drop those nuts

Never looked at any fired pistol bullets, but Ted Nugent tested the hunting ammo fro rifles on his TV show and raved about how great they worked. 100 percent weight retention and great expansion.
Brian Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 18:17   #3
rustytxrx

I have used that exact round in a Springfield RO to take a few pigs. When I got an exit wound it was awesome.

It is the round I carry with my 4" Kimber in the store. I have ran it through some back yard informal testing. From that I get the feeling that it might not be the best bullet to shoot thru doors and such.

I got expansion using the bullet out of my 3" kimber at 25 yds shooting gallon jugs of newpaper slurry.

from a 3 to 4 inch barrel pistol I think it is the best bullet considering by stander safety vs useful penetration. I was surprised to find that it shot fairly low for me at 25 yds in my fixed sight pistols. I was holding on the top of 8" steel disk to hit if center. So I guess it was shooting 3 or 4 inches low at 25 yds??????

Last edited by rustytxrx; 06-23-2013 at 18:24..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 18:24   #4
TCMod19
Save it.

Check out the Barnes Section:

http://www.ar15.com/ammo/project/Sel..._FAQ/index.htm
Old 06-23-2013, 18:39   #5
rustytxrx

BTW I have shot the Barnes .41 mag 185gr copper bullet a lot. I would have to class it as very effective.

As a matter of fact the .41 barnes 185gr copper bullet supplied the pork chops we are having tonight
Old 06-23-2013, 18:52   #6
M 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMod19 View Post
There are also lots of good recommendations (some of which are the Barnes all-copper bullets) here:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
Old 06-23-2013, 19:21   #7
rustytxrx

I just realized I don't know what is meant by effective actually. I pig hit thru the heart can last 15 to 20 seconds. that would be plenty of time for a bad guy to do a lot of damage.

At least with the pistols and bullets we are talking about pig are never DRT if you hit the proper spot.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:03   #8
swinokur

I shoot them in my AR's. Great expansion and weight retention as mentioned.

223, 300 BLK and 308.
swinokur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:50   #9
WinterWizard

OP, I would not feel under-ammo'd with that load in my .45. I would carry with confidence until you can get your hands on more 230gr +P HSTs, which are probably the best .45 acp hollow points out there.
WinterWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 08:04   #10
SDGlock23
Glockoholic

Not .45, but I remember reading of an incident where the BG was shot and killed with .40 140gr DPX and round was said to be very effective. I've never bought any, but I don't have any issues with them either.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:01   #11
Adamz04

It's a shame that the copper bullets are long for weight due to its unique properties versus lead. I feel that they are the best designed bullet out right now, even better than my coveted hst. Since they are so long they don't leave as much case capacity as standard bullets. If they could find a way to make those things a little shorter without losing weight they would be awesome.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:48   #12
fastbolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghJim View Post
... I have six boxes (120 rounds) of Buffalo Bore 185gr +p tipped with Barnes bullets. ... Should I feel OK carrying them?
Since you only have a limited number of that particular load, how many are you going to fire in order to confirm optimal feeding & functioning in your particular new 1911 and magazines?

I try to keep a range of at least 2-3 types of hollowpoint loads available for this purpose, so I can fall back on at least one of them (in quantity) for confirmation of feeding & functioning and then carry usage until I can get around to testing all of my typically used loads through a new gun.

I remember being thoroughly entranced by the idea of always using the latest & greatest of the "Best" loads when I was a young firearms instructor, but that went away over the years.

FWIW, when I picked up my earlier production SW1911SC 5" I tried something like 4-5 of the "duty" JHP's that either my agency had used over the last several years, or I'd been authorized to buy myself, using at least 3 types of magazines I've come to prefer, and it functioned fine with all of them.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer

Last edited by fastbolt; 06-24-2013 at 12:52..
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 13:18   #13
Smoker

If you pull the trigger & it goes where it is supposed to isn't that the bigger part of being effective, I've never quite got the grasp of how some measure & tell all this effectiveness.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 13:35   #14
rustytxrx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz04 View Post
It's a shame that the copper bullets are long for weight due to its unique properties versus lead. I feel that they are the best designed bullet out right now, even better than my coveted hst. Since they are so long they don't leave as much case capacity as standard bullets. If they could find a way to make those things a little shorter without losing weight they would be awesome.
I thought about addressing this several times. I decided that the OP would likely used factory loads so I didn't.

I worry about putting reloading info on the internet that may not be the best practice. I'll just say that I use 45 Super case and slightly compressed load.

since for me it is a hunting round I have only shot 200 + rounds of the .45 Super case and compressed load. I use a dribbler and weigh ever charge. So far all is well.

Last edited by rustytxrx; 06-24-2013 at 16:34..
rustytxrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 13:35   #15
clarson_75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker View Post
If you pull the trigger & it goes where it is supposed to isn't that the bigger part of being effective, I've never quite got the grasp of how some measure & tell all this effectiveness.

That would explain how accurate a round is, but I think effectiveness also has to factor in penetration. A bullet that will hit exactly where you want it to, but doesn't have enough energy to break a window pane doesn't seem very effective does it?

This nation is lead by a government that doesn't care what the law is and filled with a majority of people that don't care what the government does.
clarson_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 14:20   #16
fredj338

My only concern about light for caliber JHP, even monometals like Barnes is good penetration. You still need mass for that & the monometal tends to not frag so does keep more mass than a conventional cup/core bullet of sim wt. I am also not a huge fan of +P ammo in the light wt/small 45s. So I shy away from such loads when I am carrying my 1911PD or XD45c.
"Given adequate penetration, a larger diameter bullet will have an edge in wounding effectiveness. It will damage a blood vessel the smaller projectile barely misses. The larger permanent cavity may lead to faster blood loss. Although such an edge clearly exists, its significance cannot be quantified".

Last edited by fredj338; 06-24-2013 at 14:21..
fredj338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 17:15   #17
Tiro Fijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
My only concern about light for caliber JHP, even monometals like Barnes is good penetration...

Fred, that would be the last of my worries with SCHP's.
Look at this impromptu test with an 80 gr. Barnes in 9mm:

Tiro Fijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 18:57   #18
PghJim

Thanks everyone. I am OK with the reliability with the one magazine I have been using. I am going to start to carry them tomorrow.

Rusty - I think the pig information is valuable.
PghJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 23:15   #19
Teecher45

Hi guys, I've googled around a bit and this was all I could find.
At the LGS today looking around and noticed he had several boxes of Buffalo Bore Barnes TAC-XP 140 gr. for the 40. I've tried to look for reviews but have found NONE.
I've shot Barnes in my hunting rifles exclusively for a long time, and love them.
Are they good rounds? I really like the all-copper rounds for hunting elk and bear, but is there any data for BG's?
Thanks for any help guys!
Old 03-07-2014, 00:57   #20
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teecher45 View Post
Hi guys, I've googled around a bit and this was all I could find.
At the LGS today looking around and noticed he had several boxes of Buffalo Bore Barnes TAC-XP 140 gr. for the 40. I've tried to look for reviews but have found NONE.
I've shot Barnes in my hunting rifles exclusively for a long time, and love them.
Are they good rounds? I really like the all-copper rounds for hunting elk and bear, but is there any data for BG's?
Thanks for any help guys!
Ask the LGS employee/owner if there is any HST/Gold Dot/Golden Saber stashed in the back room.

Our local gun stores push the most expensive ammo they can foist upon unsuspecting buyers.

Caveat emptor!

Last edited by unit1069; 03-07-2014 at 00:58..
unit1069 is offline   Reply With Quote