Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:28   #1
GlockMonk

Hornady Lock n Load AP.

Hi folks, I've been reloading pistol cartridges with my Dillon SDBs for a few years now, and I'm ready to step up to reloading the 223, due to shortages, and ever increasing prices.

I'm currently looking at Hornady Lock n Load AP, as I want an auto indexing press. I've thought about the Dillon 650, but I kept hearing the caliber/primer changes are a pain.

The LnL AP supposedly had some priming issues a while back, but does anyone know, if Hornady has fixed those issues? Please share your thoughts on this one, thanks.

GlockMonk
GlockMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:18   #2
glock30sfuser

Dillon 650 FTMFW. I speak from owning both
glock30sfuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:26   #3
GlockMonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by glock30sfuser View Post
Dillon 650 FTMFW. I speak from owning both
Thanks, that's what I keep hearing as well. So, it's not that big of a deal to change caliber/primer setup? I could go either way, price is not an issue.

GlockMonk
Old 04-14-2012, 11:35   #4
alitke15

I run a Hornady LnL AP and have no issues with primers. The only thing you have to watch for is trash that might get stuck in the priming system. You will know right away as you feel a huge amount of force and the unit will not allow you to upstroke. I had this happen twice but once I cleared the debris it was fine.
alitke15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:03   #5
ron59
Bustin Caps

I have a 650... haven't changed calibers yet, but don't see that it would be "a pain". Toolhead swaps out easily enough. I have had the primer system apart (very simple) so just swapping out the large/small primer parts are easy. Which just leads the few casefeeder parts.

Nah.... I can't see it taking more than 15 minutes the first time, and 10 minutes after that (because you know what you're doing).

Love the 650. Its casefeeder was "designed in" more so than the LNL.

Quote:
WTF?! How a cheap can an old, the old fart get?!
ron59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:42   #6
F106 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockMonk View Post
Thanks, that's what I keep hearing as well. So, it's not that big of a deal to change caliber/primer setup? I could go either way, price is not an issue.

GlockMonk
I have been told that it is possible to replace the entire priming mechanism with just a couple of screws. This is a more expensive way to go than changing individual smaller components but it's in keeping with the deluxe toolhead approach where every toolhead has dies and a powder measure. After a while that gets to be a lot of powder measurers...

You still have to replace components in the case feeder assembly and perhaps even the plate in the case feeder itself.

Richard
Old 04-14-2012, 16:09   #7
timpar

I bought a LNL a couple of years ago, after looking very closely at the 650 too. I could have gone either way. They're both excellent machines.

Both require the priming area be kept free of powder and debris. If I have priming issues, it's because of powder under the primer slide. If I keep it clean, I don't have priming issues.

My take is this: if you plan on using the case feeder, get the 650.

If you don't plan on getting a case feeder, or plan on doing a lot of caliber changes, get the LNL.

I have a Dillon case trimmer for .223 on my LNL and absolutely love that setup. Makes rifle case prep a joy. The only way it could be any sweeter is if I had a case feeder (sigh).

Whichever you choose, you won't be disappoint.
Old 04-14-2012, 19:54   #8
Colorado4Wheel

I and a small amount of others have had issues with not being able to seat primers deep enough on the LnL. Hornady does not have a fix. I can go on for paragraphs about how the 650 is a better mechanical design then the LnL. LnL has some nice features but I don't miss the feature and prefer the 650 because if just works better. Caliber conversion are about the same on both unless you go from small to large primers or vice versa. Cost is higher on the 650 for conversions because it has unique parts for each caliber. That is also why it works better.
Old 04-14-2012, 21:27   #9
MrVvrroomm

lock-n-load

Certified Glock Armorer
MrVvrroomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34   #10
GlockMonk

Thank you folks for the inputs. I did some more research, and seems like LnL could still be a hit and miss. There are some people who have no problems, and there are some with nothing but problems.

I'll just play safe, and keep on drinking the blue kool-aid .

GlockMonk
Old 04-15-2012, 09:39   #11
glock30sfuser

Good plan-I remember coming back from the garage frustrated because the case feeder was nothing but problems, Now I come back with the dillon with hundreds made at a time. Its far less frustrating than trying to figure out how to make something work like you have to do on the hornady.
glock30sfuser is offline   Reply With Quote