Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:01   #1
oldguynewglock

Will M&P 9 Shield conceal better than G26?

First of all I have a Gen4 26 and Gen4 19. They work well and I carry both. I was told the 26 would conceal better than the 19 amd print less because of the length of the grip. I found this to be true. Ok the single stacks like new M & P Shield are thinner, but the grip is longer than the 26. I believe that grip length not thickness is the MAIN factor in concealment. So the 26 should print less. The single stacks I have read about should be more comfortable when sitting down, etc. because it is thin but not more concealable. What does everyone think? I do plan on an M & P Shield not because I need one, but because I want one for my collection and I want to collect a couple of M & P's.
oldguynewglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:05   #2
DonGlock26

Personally, I think a forward cant holster would alleviate any issue with a Shield grip printing. Then, the thinness would be an advantage.

I love my M&P 9mm and I'm thinking about getting an M&P compact. I'll give the Shield a good year to get any kinks worked out.

_
Operation Wetback 1954 was an immigration law enforcement initiative. The program utilized special tactics to combat the problem of illegal border crossing. Overall, there were 1,078,168 apprehensions made in the first year of Operation Wetback.
DonGlock26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:08   #3
Brazos

The pictures I am seeing the shield grip is not longer than the 26 unless you put the extended 8 round mag in.

Last edited by Brazos; 04-14-2012 at 07:42..
Brazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:30   #4
Boot Stomper

Being thinner is the only advantage I see for the Smith. The trigger was OK. Less rounds in the magazine is never a plus.
Boot Stomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:05   #5
fastbolt

Grip length and printing can be unpredictable.

My CS9 has a longer/taller grip than my G26'2 & G27 ... but the CS9 disappears when pocket carried to a better degree than my Glocks. Why? because the slide of the CS9 is shorter and less blocky. That's me and carrying the described guns in pocket holsters in my various jackets.

Now, the M&P Shield has a slimmer grip than either other platform. I guess I'll find out the relevant answer for me once S&W is ready to ship the LE Shield models and my distributor can order one.

Glock did a good job of having made the revisions they deemed necessary to their G17/19's before the introduction of the G26, and the G26 worked out pretty well. I see no reason the newest slightly down-sized M&P ought to be any different.

Since there are many times I feel inclined to carry a smallish 6-8 shot pistol or a 5-shot revolver, I think the Shield will find a place in my own retirement CCW collection. I suspect it might make my 3913 (8+1) & CS9 (7+1) see a bit less carry use.
Sub Club #9; .40 S&W Club #1953; S&W Club #3913
Retired LE - firearms instructor/armorer
fastbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:07   #6
ithaca_deerslayer

For me with IWB printing issues, one of the biggest considerations is how much of the rear slide area sticks up above the belt line.

That is why a 642 carries better than a PM9. But the LCP, however, is so thin and light that it doesn't matter how much of that is above the belt line

In these pics the 26, PM9, 642, and LCP all have equal access to grip, but you can see how much in comparison is above the belt line, especially in the rear sight area.

General Firearms Forum
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 13:16   #7
maxpower220

The 642 and LCP don't appear to have much of a rear sight at all.

Nice pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithaca_deerslayer View Post
In these pics the 26, PM9, 642, and LCP all have equal access to grip, but you can see how much in comparison is above the belt line, especially in the rear sight area.

General Firearms Forum
maxpower220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 13:36   #8
mrsurfboard
The Anti-Glock

It will certainly be more comfortable to carry IWB.
Old 04-14-2012, 13:39   #9
oldguynewglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbolt View Post
Grip length and printing can be unpredictable.

My CS9 has a longer/taller grip than my G26'2 & G27 ... but the CS9 disappears when pocket carried to a better degree than my Glocks. Why? because the slide of the CS9 is shorter and less blocky. That's me and carrying the described guns in pocket holsters in my various jackets.

Now, the M&P Shield has a slimmer grip than either other platform. I guess I'll find out the relevant answer for me once S&W is ready to ship the LE Shield models and my distributor can order one.

Glock did a good job of having made the revisions they deemed necessary to their G17/19's before the introduction of the G26, and the G26 worked out pretty well. I see no reason the newest slightly down-sized M&P ought to be any different.

Since there are many times I feel inclined to carry a smallish 6-8 shot pistol or a 5-shot revolver, I think the Shield will find a place in my own retirement CCW collection. I suspect it might make my 3913 (8+1) & CS9 (7+1) see a bit less carry use.

Good point and thanks for the imput. I plan on getting a shield for reasons mentioned. You can't have too many CC options. My 19 and 26 plus the M &P should cover all the bases for me. I suspect the 26 will still be the main one. Round count senstive you know.Now to find one. Been to 5 stores withing 30 miles and none had the M &P! Cabelas has some but 100 miles away. May have to go on road trip.
Old 04-14-2012, 13:43   #10
Rustin

My G26 is getting nervous! I am a slim guy, carrying a slim pistol just makes sense. Am I going to feel undergunned losing out on three rounds? Absolutely not. I would feel undergunned with a single stack 9 that has a spotty reputation concerning reliability like most on the market currently. The m&p line has proved itself in the 6+ years it has been out. Sure it's had growing pains, but I've heard nothing but good things about them recently. Therefore, I can anticipate that this little 9mm will be just as reliable as it's bigger kin. I can't wait to purchase one. If Glock were to release a single stack 9mm, aw who am I kidding? Glock doesn't give a **** about you or what you think you want. They KNOW what you want and your frivilous American way of thinking can be persuaded to buy ONLY GLOCKS because you don't NEED anything else! ARGH. Sorry to rant but I'm so fed up with how Glock decides to treat it's dedicated consumer. And by dedicated I mean obsessed, have you listened to some of the things Glock worshippers are willing to spew out in order to invest their ego further into Glock "perfection?" I usually don't see M&P fans getting so rabid to defend their pistols. Maybe this bitterness comes with age. I've noticed 1911 fan's are incredibly biased and so are Glock fans, but it's still the Glock fan's that get on my nerves the most. At least the 1911 guy's can admit that there are pistol's out there that perform as well as if not better than their venerable 1911. The Glock guys will tell you your an idiot if you don't have a G17 with a TLR, raven holster and threaded barrell. It would be a cold day in hell if everyone carried only Glock's. Here's to diversity, and caring about the consumer!

Rustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 14:04   #11
oldguynewglock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustin View Post
My G26 is getting nervous! I am a slim guy, carrying a slim pistol just makes sense. Am I going to feel undergunned losing out on three rounds? Absolutely not. I would feel undergunned with a single stack 9 that has a spotty reputation concerning reliability like most on the market currently. The m&p line has proved itself in the 6+ years it has been out. Sure it's had growing pains, but I've heard nothing but good things about them recently. Therefore, I can anticipate that this little 9mm will be just as reliable as it's bigger kin. I can't wait to purchase one. If Glock were to release a single stack 9mm, aw who am I kidding? Glock doesn't give a **** about you or what you think you want. They KNOW what you want and your frivilous American way of thinking can be persuaded to buy ONLY GLOCKS because you don't NEED anything else! ARGH. Sorry to rant but I'm so fed up with how Glock decides to treat it's dedicated consumer. And by dedicated I mean obsessed, have you listened to some of the things Glock worshippers are willing to spew out in order to invest their ego further into Glock "perfection?" I usually don't see M&P fans getting so rabid to defend their pistols. Maybe this bitterness comes with age. I've noticed 1911 fan's are incredibly biased and so are Glock fans, but it's still the Glock fan's that get on my nerves the most. At least the 1911 guy's can admit that there are pistol's out there that perform as well as if not better than their venerable 1911. The Glock guys will tell you your an idiot if you don't have a G17 with a TLR, raven holster and threaded barrell. It would be a cold day in hell if everyone carried only Glock's. Here's to diversity, and caring about the consumer!

I agree. I am not a fanboy or brand loyal. I like what works. I like Glocks, they have worked for me. But I like Smith and agree that the Shield is a better bet in single stack 9's. I was considering the Walther PPS but the smith has them beat on price. I wonder if Walther will drop smith over this? If Glock was making a single stack I would still compare with the rest and buy the one that works for me regardless of brand.
Old 04-14-2012, 14:08   #12
Slug71

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguynewglock View Post
I agree. I am not a fanboy or brand loyal. I like what works. I like Glocks, they have worked for me. But I like Smith and agree that the Shield is a better bet in single stack 9's. I was considering the Walther PPS but the smith has them beat on price. I wonder if Walther will drop smith over this? If Glock was making a single stack I would still compare with the rest and buy the one that works for me regardless of brand.
Exactly!

Not to mention the fact that most 'fanboys' bash the GAP caliber....you'd think they all have one just for the 'G' in GAP and want to support the caliber......

It is a great caliber i may add.
Bull Dawgs Club #571
Rimfire Club #571
Slug71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 14:31   #13
unit1069

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguynewglock View Post
First of all I have a Gen4 26 and Gen4 19. They work well and I carry both. I was told the 26 would conceal better than the 19 amd print less because of the length of the grip. I found this to be true. Ok the single stacks like new M & P Shield are thinner, but the grip is longer than the 26. I believe that grip length not thickness is the MAIN factor in concealment. So the 26 should print less. The single stacks I have read about should be more comfortable when sitting down, etc. because it is thin but not more concealable. What does everyone think? I do plan on an M & P Shield not because I need one, but because I want one for my collection and I want to collect a couple of M & P's.
I carry a wonderful Steyr S9-A1 pistol (10 + 1) about 75% of the time that's somewhat larger and heavier than a baby Glock because I like having a firm grasp on the gun. This means all fingers resting on the grip for total control.

If the new Shield provides a full grip with 7 + 1 or 8 + 1 but with better conceal ability I'll opt for the Smith as long as it's as reliable as the excellent Steyr. (At the moment I can't envision ever parting with the Steyr S model, it's that fine of craftsmanship.)

Here's the real deal: I'm completely sold on my Glock G-32 and .357sig caliber (my favorite caliber) but for CCW the 9mm sub-compacts are in my opinion unquestionably adequate for self-defense. For CCW "the smaller the better" is my take as long as I have total reliability in a duty caliber that brings complete confidence.

I don't care who makes that package --- Glock, Steyr, S&W, etc ... --- that's the ideal I'm focusing on. Total reliability in a duty caliber, ease of conceal, and personal testimony as to integrity of gun/ammo combination.

I'm willing to be called a fanboy of any make/model that lives up to my personal criteria because at any moment in time I might have to rely on what I'm carrying to save my life, God forbid. If Smith (or Glock, or Steyr) makes that self-defense precaution easier then so be it.
Old 04-14-2012, 14:35   #14
Rustin

Unit, your too logical to be considered a fanboy. I think you know the type I was referring to...
Old 04-14-2012, 14:40   #15
Beretta92guy

I don't know why so many people have this problem with "printing".....

i ccw my Glock 26, Glock 23 and Beretta 92 OWB in a Galco Combat Master holster...I have one for each gun....with an XL Tshirt as my covering garment....

in all the years carrying in public i have never ONCE had a problem, been pointed out or been "made".....

if you already have a CCW piece like the G26, what is the point of buying another piece that is "better"???

but then again, i don't know, to each his own....
Beretta92guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 15:52   #16
Rustin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
I don't know why so many people have this problem with "printing".....

i ccw my Glock 26, Glock 23 and Beretta 92 OWB in a Galco Combat Master holster...I have one for each gun....with an XL Tshirt as my covering garment....

in all the years carrying in public i have never ONCE had a problem, been pointed out or been "made".....

if you already have a CCW piece like the G26, what is the point of buying another piece that is "better"???

but then again, i don't know, to each his own....

Some people simply want something smaller. My reason is because I have a very slim build. The G26 feels like a brick shaped lump on my body when complete discretion is required, otherwise, when printing isn't a concern, the G26 is the best of the best. However, having a more comfortable gun is desirable to many. There is the group of people who feel they should carry a "fighting" gun at all times and dictate their clothing and behavior to work around the chore of carrying bigger pistols. There is another group of people who feel better having any gun on them. There are two quotes that sum up both camps. The former is "a gun isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting." The latter believes that "the gun you have with you is the best gun." I find myself on the fence between both schools of thought. However, as technology moves forward, we can get the both of best worlds while decreasing the level of comprimise that we all must make a decision on. I've come a long way in my two short years since turning 21 and becoming a pistol owner. From a .45 ONLY, 1911 ONLY, guy to gett,ng a G19, then deciding something smaller suits me. I sold my seldom used 1911. traded my G19 for a G26 about a month ago and haven't looked back until the release of the shield. Priorities are different for different people. My priority is a gun I can have on my at ALL times, but it must be a gun that I can rely on in any situation, and one that I can control and shoot accurately. The M&P shield is a near perfect fit for my body type and priorities.

Last edited by Rustin; 04-14-2012 at 15:55..
Old 04-14-2012, 16:13   #17
Caladan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta92guy View Post
Because some people prefer less mass than the G26.

Or to put it another way that you might better understand -- not everyone wants to do things the way you do them......
Caladan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 16:20   #18
bac1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxpower220 View Post
The 642 and LCP don't appear to have much of a rear sight at all.
They don't, actually.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 16:32   #19
EL COLONEL

Yes and no
Old 04-14-2012, 16:37   #20
fowler

Many have come and many have gone and the G26 is the goldstandard in a serious reliable perfect performing&shooting Sub-compact 9mm. The SW Shield is not on par with the G26 and never will be. No thanks on another not needed bargain firearm. Anything less than the G26 suffers in accuracy,reliability.capacity and bullet speed &power with shorter barrels. I want a real defence pistol not a wanne be toy.

Last edited by fowler; 04-14-2012 at 16:42..
fowler is offline   Reply With Quote