SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:54   #1
CajunBass

Send a message via AIM to CajunBass
I want to brag on my wife.

I want to talk about my wife a bit here. As you all know she's very suppotative of my shooting and gun buying. She's also handicapped, and walks with either a cane or a walker. She still enjoys going to the range and shooting either her Ruger MK II, or her 65-5 Ladysmith. She just sits on her "high performance" walker and blasts away.

Last week she offered her Glock 19 as trade bait for a 4", Model 29-2. Yesterday at the range after watching me shoot a cylinder of 44 Magnum ammo (Federal premium 240 gr JHP), she said "I wanna try it." I was a bit concerned really. She is somewhat recoil sensitive since loosing some of her mobility, and isn't as strong as she used to be, but what the heck. Worse thing she'd do is drop it on the soft grass.

I gave her a quick briefing on the gun. The S/A is VERY light so be careful that, and so on... I handed it to her with one round loaded. She didn't bother with S/A just pulled the trigger through. BOOM! I was sort of surprised. She controlled it quite well. She also broke into a big grin and said "I want to shoot it again." I loaded 5 in the cylinder, put the empty chamber under the hammer (A habit of mine at the range. Cartridges are usually packed in multiples of five, I know you can load six). Well, she let those five go with no problem. About the third shot the empty coffee can she'd been shooting at jumped in the air about ten feet and backflipped to the ground. She let out a squeel of delight..."Did you see that?" I sure did honey. I sure did.

Then I switched her over to some 44 special reloads I had. She liked them even better. After another cylinder she handed the gun back to me and said she wanted to shoot her Ladysmith. After 25 or 30 rounds she said she was tired and went back to wait in the car. She was still talking about that coffee can flipping last night. She's quite proud of herself and bragging about shooting a 44 Magnum. She said she'd probably never ask to shoot it again, but now she can say she has.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
CajunBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:05   #2
Folsom_Prison
Brew Crew

Sounds like your a lucky man to have a good woman, I'm sorry for her disabilitys but I think you have a good thing going for yourself!
"I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."

8-Ball
Folsom_Prison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:17   #3
Arc Angel
Deus Vult!

Wow, what a great relationship you have with your wife! (It's always better when your wife is, also, your best friend - Isn't it!)
Arc Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:34   #4
1911ES

Cool story, and you have every right to brag about her shooting. Nice that she enjoys firearms, and she obviously enjoys proving herself and showing her skills to you ...
1911ES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:09   #5
longhair

You are indeed a lucky man. Congrats.
longhair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:18   #6
Beanie-Bean

Great story--thanks for sharing that! I know that you made her day, and she'll remember that coffee can jumping around for a long time.

Always good when you can make someone else happy, too. Someday, my wife will take to coming out to the range with me...

You guys keep having fun with that .44

Beanie-Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 06:27   #7
hogship
It's MY Island

Yep, CajunBass......I believe the lady deserves a little braggin'.......

If I were you, I'd throw a box of 44specials in the range bag permanently!

ooc
Visit my Vietnam photo album, 1968-69 click on link

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
hogship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:15   #8
rvrctyrngr
Senior Moment

That's awesome, brother. I love it when my wife comes to the range...don't like paying for all the ammo she goes through (honey, I'm out of boolits again!)!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.

Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
-Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes Brown v. United States, 1921
rvrctyrngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:28   #9
ithaca_deerslayer

Can you call her dirty Harriet?
ithaca_deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:31   #10
truetopath

Keep on bragging, you got a great one there!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine
truetopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:54   #11
bac1023

Great story

Thanks for sharing.

bac1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:13   #12
janice6
Platinum Membership
NRA

That is wonderful that a woman is shooting a gun that many men think is "too much" for women. You have every right to be proud of her and to encourage her shooting skills.

She sounds like a wonderful lady. Congratulations to you both.

"Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". Anonymous

Earp: Not everyone who knows you hates you.
DOC: I know it ain't always easy bein' my friend....but I'll BE THERE when you need me.
janice6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:14   #13
19shooter

This post is such an encouragement to me. A little over a year ago my 39 year-old wife suffered a massive stroke that has left her significantly disabled. She spent 5 months in the hospital and I really took consolation in the few minutes I could duck away to the range that was near her rehab facility. Since coming home she has continued to support my love of shooting. She is not able to be left alone but we find a friend or family member to come by to hang out with her while I shoot for half an hour from time to time.

Here is the funny part. She has a helmet that she had to wear while a portion of her skull was removed. She HATES that helmet and has told me that one of her recovery goals is to get well enough to take that helmet out to the range and blow that thing to kingdom come. I have a friend with an AR15 that has volunteered to set it up with sandbags so that she can shoot one handed. Can't wait for that day!

Anyhow, just to say again how encouraged I am that your wife can still enjoy shooting after all she has been through. Gives me great hope and appreciation for the little pleasures in life.
19shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:46   #14
4 glocks

She sounds like a keeper for sure. Wife 1 = can 0
Old 04-14-2012, 11:53   #15
ctfireman

That's awesome! Maybe her own .44 in the future!

Rest in peace Okie, your memory will live on forever.
ctfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:57   #16
countrygun

Congrats. I am married to someone of a similar nature, it sometimes doesn't make sense, what she won't shoot and what she loves to shoot. For instance, THIS MAKES NO SENSE, she just doesn't want to shoot an M-1 carbine (even though she bought one 'for us", but she has her own AK and will blaze away as long as I'm buying the ammo and filling the mags. She doesn't care for a 30-30 but loves to shoot a 12 ga "Coach gun" and she collects and shoots all manner of .357 revolvers and carries a .45 acp, but the .44 special "intimidates" her. Go figure

Just do what I do and encourage her behavior, often.
countrygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:58   #17
gatorboy

Nice story. Start saving for her Christmas present: S&W .500
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 13:08   #18
racer88
NRA & SAF mbr

Awesome. Do you feel lucky? Well do ya? You should!
racer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 13:29   #19
shootingrn

Great story, I wish I could get my wife to shoot with me. You should rig up a holster for her walker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootingrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 17:14   #20
camaro_dave

that is awesome. glad she enjoyed it. and very cool she likes to do the same activities as you
camaro_dave is offline   Reply With Quote