Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:48   #21
panzer1
NRA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBennett View Post
I know thats the problem...I already have a AK74 so the "smaller" caliber center fire rifle is taken care of but id like the "larger" .30 caliber center fire also...Its just gonna be a range queen and both the M1 Garand and any .308 are rather pricey to shoot . I DO like the historical part of the M1 though and thats why I think im going with it...i also like the M1A/M14 for the fact that thats the gun my Dad used when he was in the military.....though he did use the M1 Garand in basic then got issued the M14 when they switched over. He said that he and most of his friends actually shot the M1 Garand better/more accurately than the M14. Said he always qualified perfect with the M1 Garand and always seemed to miss 3 or 4 with the M14 at the range.
Ammo is why I went with the Yugo M76 in 8mm. I am a K98 mauser guy anyway & 8mm is cheep & I have a lot of it.Much of it is the M75 stuff. That gun is very accurate for sure. I get 1"to1/2" groups at 100 y all day. Still love the M1A but the price of 308 would be big bucks to shoot the way I like to shoot.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:54   #22
PlasticGuy

I owned a full size M1a, and an M1a Bush Rifle (early scout version). Both were nice rifles. Their sights and triggers were very good, though they weren't as reliable with a wide variety of ammo or when really dirty as my FAL or my HK-91. I would give all three platforms a thumbs up. My preference is for the FAL, but they all have individual strengths. If they M1a is calling to you, get it.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:34   #23
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
True, many good reason there

The Garand can have issue shooting standard .30-06 so keep that in mind as well. If it s going to be a range gun I would go with the Garand, it will make a great heirloom gun.

I think this is probably how I will go. I was thinking maybe a mid range one(not the cheapest grade but not the $1000 model either) but spend the rest on some of their surplus ammo to hold me for a while. I had planned on spending around $1000 on any of those platforms...and the $600-700 M1 and $300-400 in ammo from CMP sounds like a winner.
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45   #24
CBennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by panzer1 View Post
Ammo is why I went with the Yugo M76 in 8mm. I am a K98 mauser guy anyway & 8mm is cheep & I have a lot of it.Much of it is the M75 stuff. That gun is very accurate for sure. I get 1"to1/2" groups at 100 y all day. Still love the M1A but the price of 308 would be big bucks to shoot the way I like to shoot.
Yeah I know what ya mean I had strongly thought of something that used the Russian 7.62X54 and something like the Semi Auto VEPR or some such platform like this one.

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1100.aspx

or

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct1002.aspx

Last edited by CBennett; 04-15-2012 at 08:46..
CBennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:07   #25
Zeroskillet
MIA 305

Once I get one more glock and ar Ill be getting an M1a

"God gets you to the plate, but once you're there you're on your own." Ted Williams.
Zeroskillet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:47   #26
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

I've owned a SA loaded for about 8 years. At that time, there was a mix and match of USGI and SAI parts. I have shot the living snot out of it over the years and it's never done me wrong. Expect to replace the extractor after a thousand rounds or so - upgrade to a USGI one.

I've always shot irons, but have recently put a sadlak mount on it and a scope I had sitting in the garage (will upgrade this soon). I also put on a unitized gas system (took a few shims) from Fulton and a Smith spring guide. Really amazing what a difference it makes. It's always been a 1.5-2moa rifle with handloads. I'm looking forward to load development (only shot it once since the upgrades to zero the scope).

All said and done, I like the SA, but if I could do it over, I'd buy a LRB or a Fulton from the get-go and not worry about upgrading later.

In case you don't know up front - it really is a bad idea to shoot commercial .308 loads through your M1A. The powders they use are too slow burning for the gas system, and they will eventually beat the hell out of your op rod.

Lots of good reading on port pressure here (page 10):

http://www.zediker.com/downloads/14_loading.pdf

If you don't reload, just stick with milsurp 7.62mm.

The M14 is my favorite military rifle. I've seen them do some pretty amazing things. Good luck.
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 17:39   #27
WayaX
Lifetime Membership

I had an older one (all USGI parts minus the receiver) that was made just before the '94 ban.

It was a good rifle. It was a bit on the large size for my taste. The accuracy was adequate (about 3 MOA). It was certainly reliable.

As someone else mentioned, accuracy costs money with an M1A. They're more difficult to get and keep match grade accuracy with than say an AR-10 type rifle.

I sold mine to fund a SCAR 17S. I really have no regrets on that end.
"Throughout history, it has been the inaction of those who could have acted; the indifference of those who should have known better; the silence of the voice of justice when it mattered most; that has made it possible for evil to triumph."

-Haile Selassie I
WayaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 17:45   #28
NEOH212
Diesel Girl

I purchased mine pre-owned but unfired by the owner.

Mine is just the standard GI version but I added a trigger job and a national match front and rear sight.

I love this gun and wouldn't sell it for anything!

It's one of the most accurate rifles that I own. I haven't had one malfunction with it with the thousands of rounds I have put through it over the years.

I would by a second one in a heartbeat!

Old 04-16-2012, 02:53   #29
TxGlock9
2014 RACE TIME!

Old 04-16-2012, 03:46   #30
harleytech

Sold mine after I got a AR-308...Never looked back...
Old 04-16-2012, 13:29   #31
RottnJP
Lifetime Membership

It depends what you're looking for. If you are looking for the most "value" in a SA- .308, in terms of accuracy-per-dollar, if you will- The most cost-effective way to get within 1-2 inches MOA, I'm not sure its an M1A.

They take some tweaking to get optimal accuracy (stock it should shoot about 3 MOA) and if you want to scope it, it'll set you back a couple hundred bucks just for decent mounts alone... A M1A can be made to shoot 1 MOA, but it'll cost you a few thousand bucks worth of aftermarket work. These days a decent AR-10 variant has more "inherent accuracy" and is easier to customize.

I've heard it said that if it weren't for the nostalgia we'd all get AR-10's, and there may be an element of truth to that.

So, all that having been said: I *love* my M1's, and wouldn't think of getting rid of them. With the composite stock they aren't heavy, and even with wood stocks they balance very nicely. I'd stay away from the ones with rails all over the place- That just F's up the balance, which is a strong point of the rifle to begin with. That huge rail-cage makes it too muzzle-heavy.

Personally, I think the scout-squad is about the best-balanced "do it all" rifle you can find. The M1 family do have the advantage of about the most reliable operating system out there, with the right ammo. Add an aftermarket gas plug, and it'll handle anything you throw at it. You could argue the FAL is as reliable, if not more so depending who you believe, but the FAL's I've handled have seemed comparatively cumbersome and were not sufficiently accurate. (More like 6 MOA off a bench, which is starting to get a bit... Bad.) And, I guess I do have a bit of nostalgia for the old M1's as well...

I do have a SOCOM16 as well, which handles *beautifully* but has a bear of a muzzle blast for anyone around you. From behind the rifle, though, it's light, quick, has a crisp trigger, and will put double-taps on a plate out to 100 yards, even for a non-expert rifleman like me. The sheer fun factor is off the hook, probably only to be bettered by a class 3 AR or bump-fire stock, maybe. (Dunno, don't have the class 3 stuff yet.)

So, if you're o.k. with 3 MOA, especially if you plan on just shooting iron sights, and want top-notch reliability and style, get yourself the M1A and don't look back.

If you plan on scoping it and want to shoot 1 MOA, go with an AR-10 platform.
Outpost Member #69.14159
RottnJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:03   #32
FriscoTx

I bought a "loaded" SA M1A back in 2000. Had problems with every magazine with FTF on 1 or 2 rounds even when using different brands of ammo. Took it back to the dealer and they polished the feed ramp which helped some but did not solve the problem. A friend of mine gave me some of his reloads which he thought might help. According to him they were loaded a little higher than factory loads but not above the safe maximum. I shot the first box OK but on the 2nd round out of the second box the gun blew up stretching the receiver and splitting the stock into 3 pieces. All of the gases and remaining rounds blew down through the magazine mushrooming the magazine. This of course is how it is supposed to work so all I got was a red cheek from the stock splitting. Took it back to the dealer who sent it to Springfield which destroyed it due to damage. Even though I had used reloads and admitted I had, Springfield offered me a new standard model for $450.00 which I immediately accepted. Great company. Since I do not reload I always use factory ammo in all my guns now.
FriscoTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:05   #33
Zombie Steve
Decap Pin Killa

Damn!
Zombie Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 13:40   #34
nbkky71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoTx View Post
...the gun blew up stretching the receiver and splitting the stock into 3 pieces.
If that reloaded ammo KB! was powerful enough to stretch a receiver, you're luck to be alive. Either that or you had an improperly heat-treated receiver and it was a lemon from the factory.
nbkky71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 13:50   #35
FriscoTx

I had put 401 rounds through it before it blew up on round 402. Springfield said it was a stretched receiver so it had to be destroyed.
FriscoTx is offline   Reply With Quote