Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:24   #1
gt1122

"Smart Gun" technology advocated

Looks like so-called "smart gun" technology is being advocated again. Not practical or affordable or effective, IMO, but this won't stop the anti-gun states from adopting it, I suspect.

http://apps.washingtonpost.com/g/pag...mart-guns/818/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...y.html?hpid=z4

-----------------------
An excerpt:

"Lawmakers around the country have been intrigued by the possibilities. New Jersey passed a hotly contested law in 2002 requiring that only smart guns be sold in the state within three years of a smart gun being sold anywhere in the country. A similar measure made it through the California Senate last year, and at the federal level, Rep. John F. Tierney (D-Mass.) also has introduced a mandate."
-----------------------

If a smart gun-enabling wristwatch is worn, does this mean that the gun owner is no longer carrying concealed but is effectively "brandishing" since anyone can see his wristwatch/key?

Would police also be required to only use smart guns, "for their safety"?

The cost of one of these smart guns seems to be about $1400 plus $400 for each wristwatch/key gadget. I suspect they would soon require that the watch/key have a GPS, a camera and a microphone and that it call 911 any time you use or manipulate the gun.

This is such a mess - many people find thumb safeties or unreliable built-in gun locks to be unacceptable for a self-defense firearm.

Last edited by gt1122; 02-19-2014 at 12:29.. Reason: added an excerpt from news story
gt1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 14:13   #2
oldman11

They are trying anything that will stop or hinder anyone from protecting themselves. Standard Communist procedure.
oldman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 15:09   #3
VinnieD

Wouldn't a thief just steal the watch too? Or just remove the safety device, or just steal an older gun, or buy old commie guns from central American smugglers like the cartels do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 signatures.
VinnieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 16:52   #4
4Rules

I can see this progressing further...

You have the RKBA - the courts agree that the Constitution guarantees that - but the courts' have also ruled that the government, in accordance with the government's interest in infringing upon that right, can put in place some "reasonable restrictions."

Sure, you can jump through their hoops, and apply for - and get - a permit to carry your "Smart Gun" on your hip, except in federal buildings, etc., but the transponder to activate that "Smart Gun" (on your hip) might be kept - by law - safe and sound, in secure storage, at the public gun range...

"For the children."
4Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:08   #5
HOTHEAD

I wear my watch on my left hand, shoot right.....
HOTHEAD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 17:36   #6
Laslo

Example of smart gun fail

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/27...cmp=latestnews