Home Forums Classifieds Blogs Today's Posts Search Social Groups

SIGN-UP
Notices

Glock Talk
Welcome To The Glock Talk Forums.

Old 04-12-2012, 23:51   #1
horseboss45

223 or 308

Looking to pick up my first AR. I am leaning toward one in 308. I guess I could go the AK route but not sure. Help an old fool spend his money.
Old 04-12-2012, 23:54   #2
CLM Number 101
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseboss45 View Post
Looking to pick up my first AR. I am leaning toward one in 308. I guess I could go the AK route but not sure. Help an old fool spend his money.
Very hard to make any meaningful recommendations based on almost zero info provided. I guess I could say, "OK, go with the 308.", but it's totally meaningless.

Politicians and judges who voted for, and supported, Obamacare are traitors to the country!
Con, the first 3 letters in Congress.
UN, the first 2 letters in UNnecessary.
12131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:46   #3
93GT
The Ogre

Pick up a Tier 1 or Tier 2 AR-15 in 5.56 NATO with a 1 in 7" twist 16" barrel and shoot it. You can worry about a 308 or other calibers later. As much as I like the 308, it is a heavier, different rifle that I find less maneuverable. I wouldn't pick it as my first AR. I don't think we have enough details to give really good advice though. YMMV.
93GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:42   #4
RyanNREMTP
Inactive/Banned

What is the rifle going to be used for? In most cases 223 will be more suitable unless you are just planning on doing hunting only.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52   #5
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

93gt makes a lot os sense!

I've got both, but depending on what your needs/wants are greatly
influences an opinion. As others have stated, we really need more info.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:50   #6
B.Reid

Don't go the AK route.

Earth has always been a dangerous place to live. Be prepared!
B.Reid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:57   #7
smokin762

I own both. I shoot my AR15 way more than the AR10 type rifle. Ammunition is much cheaper.

If you buy the AR10, you may not want to stick your nose to the charging handle when you shoot.
smokin762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:16   #8
faawrenchbndr
CLM Number 281
The Dude Abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin762 View Post
......If you buy the AR10, you may not want to stick your nose to the charging handle when you shoot.

+1,.......I keep an index finger's thickness distance.
faawrenchbndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10   #9
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

OP I agree with getting a top tier AR to begin with.

Also agree that caliber recommendations are worthless.

But I will add that if you are looking for a hunting round in an AR that does not weigh 10lbs+ then consider a 300 AAC BLK. Ammo is also pretty affordable vs. .308

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:26   #10
JBnTX
JB in Tx

Quote:

For your first AR type rifle:

Get a high quality 5.56mm, 16 inch barreled M4 type carbine.
A Colt 6920 would be a perfect choice.

Forget the 7.62 caliber, unless you're planning on going into combat with it.
Ammo's too expensive and the gun's too heavy.

Forget the AK! Stay with the standard type AR-15 rifle.

Stay with a basic rifle to start with.
You can get all exotic and tacticool with your next rifle.

Last edited by JBnTX; 04-13-2012 at 12:29..
JBnTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:46   #11
fwm

Depends on your needs. If wanted as a SHFT gun, the .308 penetrates brush much better and is good for 600+ yards with proper glass and care.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:49   #12
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwm View Post
Depends on your needs. If wanted as a SHFT gun, the .308 penetrates brush much better and is good for 600+ yards with proper glass and care.
Against MoM type targets, a 20" AR in 5.56 with iron sights is good to 600 yards. Loaded with the right kind of ammo, it can be pretty damn nasty at that distance, too.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:55   #13
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

My first AR was a 6.8SPC 16" carbine. Back then, ammo was expensive and not as available as it is now. 6.8 is a very capable self defense and hunting caliber. For cheap plinking and training you can get a 5.56 upper which shares the standard AR-15 lower.

So, in conclusion, I recommend a 6.8SPC caliber with a 1:11 twist and SPCII chamber, preferrably 16" midlength.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:59   #14
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
My first AR was a 6.8SPC 16" carbine. Back then, ammo was expensive and not as available as it is now. 6.8 is a very capable self defense and hunting caliber. For cheap plinking and training you can get a 5.56 upper which shares the standard AR-15 lower.

So, in conclusion, I recommend a 6.8SPC caliber with a 1:11 twist and SPCII chamber, preferrably 16" midlength.
Or buy the cheaper 5.56 upper to begin with, so the OP has an inexpensive platform and cheaper ammo to practice with, and decide if he even likes the AR platform enough to invest in 6.8.
Old 04-13-2012, 13:08   #15
horseboss45

More Info

Plan on doing some hunting with it. But will also ride in my pickup as a truck gun. Which weight of bullet would be best? 55gr, 62gr, or 75gr?
Old 04-13-2012, 13:15   #16
Javelin
Silver Membership
Got Glock?

Quote:
Plan on doing some hunting with it. But will also ride in my pickup as a truck gun. Which weight of bullet would be best? 55gr, 62gr, or 75gr?
If your barrel is 1-7 twist the 75gr will be better.

Heavier bullets are my choice in the AR platform which is why the 300BLK is so appealing as you can only make that little .224 bullet so long. I decided to step it up and just get a .30 bullet @ 110gr-220gr.

And the 300BLK does not suffer the magazine ailments that the 6.8 has due to being able to use standard Pmags/GI mags and standard BCG that is common to all 5.56 platforms.

Disclaimer: This writer is not a lawyer. This product is meant for entertainment and fan or political fiction purposes only and writer accepts no liability. All material should be considered as infotainment only. Writer does not own any characters, topics or subject matter in this story. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is for entertainment only. If rash, irritation, redness, or swelling develops, discontinue reading immediately and consult your physician.
Javelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 13:15   #17
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
What do you plan to hunt? 5.56 is illegal for taking deer in many states, but I've heard of no states that restrict it for things like hogs. Bullet weight and type will be determined by the kind of game you are going after. You won't hunt small varmints with 75 grain bullets, but you might use them against hogs. You certainly want to use a thin-jacketed 40 grain varmint bullet for hogs, either.
Old 04-13-2012, 13:18   #18
LA_357SIG
Milspectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Or buy the cheaper 5.56 upper to begin with, so the OP has an inexpensive platform and cheaper ammo to practice with, and decide if he even likes the AR platform enough to invest in 6.8.
If the OP considered a .308 for his first AR, then cheap ammo wasn't a priority. Asking for an opinion on a .308 AR hardly suggest he is getting an AR for plinking and practicing the latest "Art of the tactical beard" techniques.

And yes. I am aware of .308 Wolf and Bear ammo.
Old 04-13-2012, 13:20   #19
WoodenPlank
Who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_357SIG View Post
If the OP considered a .308 for his first AR, then cheap ammo wasn't a priority. Asking for an opinion on a .308 AR hardly suggest he is getting an AR for plinking and practicing the latest "Art of the tactical beard" techniques.

And yes. I am aware of .308 Wolf and Bear ammo.
I also wouldn't suggest a .308 for a first AR, either.
Old 04-13-2012, 14:15   #20
fwm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenPlank View Post
Against MoM type targets, a 20" AR in 5.56 with iron sights is good to 600 yards. Loaded with the right kind of ammo, it can be pretty damn nasty at that distance, too.
But not if there is some light brush in between shooter and target. .223 pretty much loses it's spin and destabilizes much easier. (Looking at it from my world, 100 yards clear then light brush for cover that .308 penetrates well, .223 not so much.)